New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 92425262728293031323334
Results 991 to 1,013 of 1013
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

Kleris nods to Arano as he passes go return back to the basement, turning to point out a small window that could possibly be converted to a familiar door. After the changeling and the wizard are alone, aside from the staff, Kleris pulls Gryphon into his personal room and locks the door.

"So some very drastic changes have happened in the least few hours. Changes involving my uh... special circumstances."

He looks around slightly to make sure they're alone, clutching his amulet before continuing with his new abilities 'I had a dream about my patron last night, Mecuria the Dusk Sliver. It... appeared to me asking that I find it. I worry the Sliver is here in Throneport now or close by, an event sure to cause all sorts of chaos. I brought you here partly to ask for your aid in the matter of my research and search. I believe the dream was also what possibly awoke my new telepathic abilities which is even more troubling.'

Kleris taps his foot nervously before continuing 'I have even more news though, as if thqt was not enough already. My newest persona, Shemran, has received a message from an acquaintance of the Burning Birthday, a Lady Thara. The one that Izar warned us off of. I do not think the message she sent coincidental. She asked to meet at a nice restaurant downtown tomorrow night... right after we have recovered the book.'

I think I may have to bring in one of the others into this. At least with the Mecuria situation. Maybe Arimart, I'm sure he already suspects my worship of the Traveler. Foremost however I require your aid and advice.'
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

2. - Top - End - #992
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Professor Drake Shardstone

Drake sat quietly as the others spoke, again struck by the oddity of the group. The changeling (a fact that had gone unmentioned thus far) and the mage both departed, leaving behind the book that they had seemingly been as keen to understand as the rest of the group. That spoke volumes about the intent ... and left little doubt in the mind of the academic as to the intent - they obviously wished to speak alone, and the topic had nothing to do with alternative entrances for a familiar.

Arimart seemed uncomfortable, but given he was left with a relative unknown and two assassins, it was understandable. Of course, it brought to mind an old tale, the Story of the Silent Voice, where three prophets could see the future and would condemn those who would think of committing a crime. What would the constable do when presented with a magic mirror that would show him the untrusted agents of two Houses?

The couple, for all the trappings of their occupation, seemed the most straight forward. Devotion seemingly drove them, and they had been fairly consistent in their perspectives. Of course, their motivations were fairly selfish, but that didn't mean it wasn't refreshing to see such brutal honesty. However, assassins could be the world's best liars ...

Sighing inwardly, he waited for the group to finish their discussions. It seemed his warnings had fallen on deaf ears, which was par for the course, but Arano's sense of self-preservation won through with his final question. Without missing a beat, Drake answered him in quiet, measured tones, his eyes on the book.

"There are too many to list, but we can only speculate. As I told the others, this ... device ... is as powerful of a divination dweomer as I've ever seen ... moreso than the all-seing couatl we were blessed to be in the presence of earlier. It makes a connection with everyone in the world that bears the Mark of the Shadow, regardless of where they are, or if they are hidden by mystic means. It sees through all of that, connects to the mark ... to your blood.

It feels ... wrong. Created with palpable hate. I think it was created for more than simple tracking ... I think a savvy user could tap into the connection and affect the Marked. Perhaps even control them. Or kill them. You wish to know the risk of use? Everything from being linked to the Codex inextricably ... to death."

His eyes rose to connect with Arano's own gaze. "Fortunately, if we activate it here, you should be safe from any harmful effects. Presuming of course the creator doesn't have the ability to control the artifact from afar. My recommendation is that any use is limited, and done quickly. While it may be our primary way of finding this mysterious V, I still have reservations. Drackt fo drackt, klaza das klaza."
    Spoiler: Dwarven
    Show
    'Night clings to night, evil knows evil,' a phrase that cautions about staring to long into the abyss ...

OOC - Okay, I said that and more ...
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC 14 HP 52 Init +2 Move 30’
    Saves: Str +0 Dex +2 Con +2 Int +2 Wis +6 Cha +0
    Skills: Arcana/Religion +8; Insight +5; Perception +9;
    Warder’s inspiration (+1d4): Investigate, History, Thieves tools
    Weapons: shortsword (+5 / 1d8+2); shortbow (+5 / 1d8+2)
    Channel divinity 3/3 (Turn undead, destroy CR 1/2, Knowledge o/t Ages, Read thoughts)
    Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    Prepare 10 spells, DC 15, 4-1st / 3-2nd / 3-3rd / 1-4th
    0: guidance, thaumaturgy, toll the dead, mending
    1st (x4): command, identity, alarm, armor of Agnatha, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt
    2nd (x3): augury, arcane lock, knock, suggestion, silence, enhance ability, locate object
    3rd (x3): non-detection, speak with dead, glyph of warding, magic circle, clairvoyance, meld into stone, dispel magic
    4th (x1): arcane eye, confusion, Leomund's secret chest, Mordenkainen's faithful hound divination, locate creature
    Wards & seals (1/long): alarm, arcane lock, mage armor

Effects: 60’ darkvision
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #993
    Titan in the Playground

Arano exhales deeply and completely. "Thank you, Professor Shardstone, for explaining the matter so clearly. Death is not a risk that I would undertake lightly, but the danger of the unknown remains as long as we have not tried the artifact. It seems like we have little other choice, but there are too many factors here for me to consider on my own."

Traversing back and across the room, the elf stops just shy of his human partner. "It's our family, our fight. But I don't want to do this if you aren't comfortable. I have trusted you with my life before. What do you think we should do here? Whatever you say, I'm game."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-11-09 at 09:53 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

4. - Top - End - #994
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue
    AC: 19 HP: 59/59
    PP: 19 PIv: 13 PIs: 13
    Conditions: Darkvision (8 hours remaining), 6/6 Ki Remaining
    Concentrating: --

Kett's breath catches as the decision, apparently, falls to her. Time slows, and the room seems to fall away from her as she's threading her thought needle down the tapestry of eventualities. What if using it somehow 'pinged' to V? What if it affected Arano, pushed some of the hate embedded into its conjuring into him? Losing him to death would be crushing, but losing who he was - her loving, serious-but-not-too-serious, devoted, understanding husband - that might even be worse, and the decision came down to her. His blood and mind on her hands. Could she ever face Lia again if she, through her own lack of preparations and eagerness to see the matter done, robbed Lia's father from her?

She takes a deep breath, centering herself, for a moment she runs through a practice set in her mind. "No." It was a difficult decision, and one that would probably earn her no friends. "Kasimir's journal mentions that 'V' had no shadowmark, we can't use it to find her, whoever she is, and if it is roiling with hatred pressed into its pages then perhaps its construction is...dangerous to those with the mark who try to use it. A failsafe, should it fall out of V's ownership, so to speak." She wouldn't have thought of it at first, certainly unlikely if she'd been behind the artifact, but here, now, with Arano potentially at stake, she was branching out beyond her usual. "There's likely at least a dozen shadowmarked in the city, not counting present company, chasing down those leads could bring us additional unwanted attention from those somehow still not involved." She looks to her husband and smiles. It was easier now that she'd started talking. Things made sense.

The fighter didn't totally want to shut the matter down, but she could set a condition they could likely not meet. She slides closer to her husband, breathing in his presence for support, then addresses Drake and Arimart directly: "Assure me that no harm will come to Arano through his use of the Codex, and I could agree to a single activation to see if it reveals any secrets to its destruction." And if, or when, they failed to satisfy the condition, then she'd float the alternative option: Removing it from the city.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

5. - Top - End - #995
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Drake said nothing as Kett spoke. It seemed his instinct about her motivations were correct, which was as refreshing as it might eventually be infuriating. But he could not fault her decision, and certainly respected the strength of her convictions.

I knew I liked her for a reason ...

When she left her question hanging in the air, staring at Arimart and himself, Drake simply stroked his beard for a long moment. Finally, he stood and walked over to the small table where several galifars of incense sat. Muttering words of power, Drake touch the medallion on his chest and called out to the Sovereign Host.

Spoiler: Divination
    Show
    "To Arawai, the Sovereign of Life and Love, look upon this man and woman and know their love for one another.

To Aureon, the Sovereign of Law and Lore, see to the heart of the matter, and the secrets held within this book.

To Balinor, the Sovereign of Horn and Hunt. Aid our hunt for the truth that eludes us.

To Boldrei, the Sovereign of Hall and Hearth. In the name of this family, and all families that stand at risk, hear my prayers.

To Dol Arrah, the Sovereign of Sun and Sacrifice. This couple stands ready to sacrifice all for each other; it is on their behalf I beseech you.

To Dol Dorn, the Sovereign of Strength and Steel. This man and this woman are simple soldiers, fighting to save their family. In their names I seek answers.

To Kol Korran, the Sovereign of World and Wealth. The path is fraught with peril, and we seek your guidance and protection.

To Olladra, the Sovereign of Feast and Fortune. This risk we do not take lightly, but we seek your blessings of luck.

To Onatar, Sovereign of Fire and Forge. The ultimate craftsman surely knows what dangers lie ahead. Prepare us."

His last sentence is murmured in Elvish.

Spoiler: Dwarven
    Show
    "If this man activates the Codex, will harm befall he or his family as a result of the act?"

OOC - Casting Divination
    Show
    Channel divinity 3/3 (Turn undead, destroy CR 1/2, Knowledge o/t Ages, Read thoughts)
    Show
    1st (x4): command, identity, alarm, armor of Agnatha, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt
    2nd (x3): augury, arcane lock, knock, suggestion, silence, enhance ability, locate object
    3rd (x3): non-detection, speak with dead, glyph of warding, magic circle, clairvoyance, meld into stone, dispel magic
    4th (x1): arcane eye, confusion, Leomund's secret chest, Mordenkainen's faithful hound divination, locate creature

Last edited by Starbin; 2021-11-10 at 07:15 PM.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ogre in the Playground

Looking at Kett action, or lack of it for a while, and listening to her and Arano's words puts thing in a different perspective for the paladin.

"Look at them, they really are a family, they care for each other, and they worry..." Maybe for the first time, Arimart sees Kett in an entirely different light, not that of the unreadable agent, but that of a worried wife, of a simple, weak, human being, caring for her loved ones.

"I have invested too much attention into the big picture, be wary, Arimart, don't forget to pay attention to details."

As Drake collects himself and calls for his divine power, Arimart looks at the other two. He turns to Kett and starts speaking.

"I see that I've put too much pressure into this, and if you are not sure about it, if you want to ensure the safety of your husband, know that you have my support. We are walking a fine line, and threading on dangerous ground, but we must not lose sight of what matters most. And your family is indeed important, " the paladin stops for a moment, glancing at both Kett and Arano
    "... for you, more than everything else, I can see it now.

I imagine you two are not 'alone'; know that if there are others dear to you, I guarantee that I'll do whatever is possible to keep them safe."
    Last edited by CozJa; 2021-11-11 at 05:27 AM.
    Does this poster have a sign?

7. - Top - End - #997
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon thinks carefully before responding. The spontaneous emergence of supernatural powers wasn't the sort of thing to take lightly. On the other hand, his friend was a changeling worshiper of the concept of change, so, maybe this sort of this was de rigueur? He thought back to his time among the people of Lost, back in Droaam. They did more communicating through telepathy than verbally, perhaps this is just the natural progression of fluid life?

Testing, testing, Kleris can you hear my thoughts in return?
    When an immediate foreign thought response doesn't come, he continues out loud, somewhat sotto voce.

Fascinating, I'll prepare Message, as soon as possible, so that I can respond better respond. In the meantime, how do you wish to respond to your patron's presence? Chaos isn't directly at odds with any of our stated goals, and while perhaps I presume too much, I would think chaos would bring with it great opportunity for change. I don't think there with be any problem with letting the others in on your position. Madam Kett is too focused on family drama to worry, Professor Shardstone is an academic and likely to react with the broad view of an educated and methodical man, and Prosecutor Kaessel... I don't know if you'll find someone in this city with a higher capacity of patience and understanding. Keep details to a minimum and I believe you can indulge them.

As for Shemran's date, I don't suppose you can change the location from it's current location, to Jhory's Reprieve? If so, I think I have a plan...
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

8. - Top - End - #998
    Titan in the Playground

Arimart's words are met with a slight nod of approval from the shadowmarked elf. "Your offer is accepted in the spirit it is given, Sir Kaessel. You have upheld your word so far, and I see no reason to doubt it now." Arano puts an arm gently around Kett as he speaks, dark eyes stealing down to take her in. It's as much a show of support as anything he's said this morning. He doesn't comment on what she's said about the Codex or its activation, but his agreement is palpable to everyone present.

In the meantime, Drake completes his prayer. Although the dwarf's supplication to the Host is as far from ostentatious as possible, the table over which he has placed the appropriate sacrament spits an odorless smoke that dissipates instantly. The gathered reagents gleam as they burn, fires offered to immortal eyes, endlessly. His question, formed in his native tongue, escapes his lips in a whisper. For a moment all is silent. But slowly, inexorably, the four of you in the basement of the Reprieve begin to feel a kind of pressure. It is as though someone on the far side of the room has thrown open a door to a stormy afternoon; your breath catches in your throats, you feel a distant balmy breeze against your skin.

Then you hear a voice. It is neither loud nor quiet, young or old, belonging to neither man nor woman, yet you hear the rustling of grasses and the cracking of thunder. "The teeth that gnash, the coils that crush," it says without direction.

"The blade that lies in wait," answers another presence, this one's tone full of the flipping of dusty pages and scratching of ancient quills. "These endings may yet headlong rush - "

"Toward the marked one and his mate," interrupts the low growl of a third. You can make out a braying of howls and horns somewhere in the underbrush. There is a distinct pause after this one's speech, just enough for you to look around and confirm that nobody else is in the room with you.

A fourth utterance joins the chorus. "Danger in its many forms," it warns over the crackling of a phantom fire as a sense of gentle warmth suffuses your bones, "will seek out those who look."

"But death from life's grasp torn," declares a fifth triumphantly, accompanied by a steady stream of cheering and heartfelt hymns. If you listen closely, you can hear the faint rhythm of boots marching on the ground.

As the fifth voice fades, the marching grows louder and is joined by a dreadful din of steel on steel, a cue for the next member of the ensemble. "Cares not for any book," it yops with raucous joy. The words reverberate into stillness, echoing as a bell struck at full force, and then they are gone.

"Kin-blood spilled years in the past," takes up a seventh, the patient hand that counts the coins. There they are, glittering in your mind, pieces of an infinite hoard dispensed to the worthy.

"May prove the safe road travelled;" giggles another, this one not trying to hide its amusement. Somewhere you see tiles falling, a pattern of numbers that may spell either succour or disaster.

At last, a ninth answers the call amid the reports of a faraway smithy. "Confess to all dark questions asked," it demands, and its decree is iron, "and see Hate's scheme unravelled."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-11-12 at 12:19 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

9. - Top - End - #999
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

Kett stands in silence for a moment as the results of the divination wash over her. A number of thoughts pass through her mind, a lot of which were not repeatable in polite conversation and company, for however often she was part of such gatherings. "I would have been fine with a 'yes' or 'no'," is what she finally manages to vocalise, frustrations clear. Some of her colleagues enjoyed riddles, ciphers, codebreaking, codemaking, and interpretation. Kett had always been the more direct sort. She was a knife, not a corkscrew - roundabout solutions to her problems weren't preferable. She runs a hand through her hair. It hadn't really helped. Not that much. She could guess meanings of course, but these riddles and half-truths were always veiled in such a way that the teller can "ah-hah" you a moment later. But they couldn't sit around forever. Decisions had to be made, and ultimately she'd been the one who demanded assurances...so the decision still came down to her. She takes a deep breath and exhales slowly, running the words through her mind again, and again, and again, picking out the clauses, dissecting it down to the closest analogies she could think of, and probably arriving at conclusions totally different to that of the other three in the room.

"Okay. Unless anyone's got any sudden concerns, we can use it - once, briefly - in the hopes it gives us some new information." On all their heads be it, hers included. Better to do it now while Gryphon and Kleris were gone, she supposed. Especially Kleris, in this case.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Drake sat for a moment, clearly absorbing what had just happened. Then he pulled forth a journal and began to jot down notes furiously, not reacting until Kett spoke. "My apologies, Lady Kett, but you did deliver an ultimatum that I could not answer without outside assistance. That being said, sudden concerns you say? I think I have the same amount of concerns, and probably a few extra ones based on the answers we received."

Scratching his chin for a moment, speaking as he consulted his notes. "We are warned about no less than three threats, but whether they are specific or generic remains to be seen. To the question of whether your beloved will be in danger seems almost moot - death comes for us all, but perhaps it will not happen simply by touching the book ... but could occur through the nature course of events. Lastly, the bit about kin-blood spilled years in the past ... does that mean we use someone with the mark who has passed?

Drake leaned back tapping his chin as he gazed upwards and continued to muse aloud. "But when we consider it with the last lines regarding dark questions ... I wonder if this is a clue that our answers lie in the past of someone here. Mayhap all of us. But what answers regarding the dead remain to be answered amongst us?"

Drake leaned forward as he asked the last question, eyes searching out the others in the room.

OOC - More chatty ...
    Show
    Show
    4th (x0): arcane eye, confusion, Leomund's secret chest, Mordenkainen's faithful hound divination, locate creature

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris runs his hand through his hair. 'I'm not explaining this properly.'

He looks the other half elf dead in the eye "This isn't just some talking sword with just enough power to have sentience and light itself on fire. This being creates Warlocks and alters the paths of thousands on its own. My patron is a higher ideal and ally in the pursuit of vengeance but just like how many followers wouldn't exactly be thrilled if their God touched down in their city and decided to make it their playground I too have mixed feelings and concerns."

The changeling nibbles the end of a fingernail before giving a one shouldered shrugs of what could be seen as agreement. "You aren't wrong exactly but it is a bit nervewracking somewhat to consider. I've been deep within personas for years now. Arimart is trustworthy, I can see him waiting and listening before making judgements. He's shown himself to be a voice of reason. However the new professor is just that, too new. I'll wait until I get a better read on him. As for Kett... that doesn't seem like the best idea at this moment. She's fairly high strung what with the book, her husband, and my own murky 'betrayal' with the capture and interrogation of said husband."

Kleris pulls out the pearl message device "Well I should be able to send back a message at dawn but I doubt she would be willing to trade a fancy restaurant for a run down inn but hit me. However-"

His eyes flash gold and reptilian for a second as his voice gains a haughty tone. "-Shemran has standards beyond this rat trap."
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

"We don't exactly have a lot of shadowmarked corpses lying around - besides which, aren't marks tied to souls rather than the body? It's not like trading blood lets you share Marks around." She was neither a learned scholar nor a practical expert on such matters, but living among a House you pick up things regardless. If it were that easy to duplicate a Dragonmark, everyone would have them. If that were the case then chances are the Codex would never have been made in the first place. "As for answers among the dead, Arano and I are professional assassins. Even with 'only' two decades or so under our belt between us, talking about the full extent of our work would take weeks. We'd need to narrow it down - assuming it's even referring to one of us in the first place."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Ogre in the Playground

The paladin tries to come up with an explanation for the words spoken by the gods, but he is unable to. At Kett remark about the nature of their line of work Arimart says nothing, thinking about how he should revise his standards... sometime in the future.

"If you feel confident about trying go for it, if you don't, we will find another way. After all it looks like deaths knocked on our door at least once a week lately, and I can't see how using the book can endanger us more than having duped an agent of house Thuranni while we're investigating on the creation of horrid monsters who just broke into one of the most guarded place in the continent."

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Troll in the Playground

Hearing Kleris talk about Mercuria, Gryphon resists the urge to shake his head. Why do people keep prosthetizing about their gods to me? Nix, Spritz, and now Kleris. The only one not trying to convince me of the power of their god is Arimart! Do I look like someone who has time for a sermon?

Maybe you’d get distracted from you mission less if you listened to more of The Shadow’s sermons. Spritz sends he thoughts down to the occidental wizard from the rafters of the barroom.

Putting matters of faith on hold, gryphon turns his thoughts to his friend’s more worldly concern.
    Such a shame that culinary standards are a necessity for Shemran’s date. But perhaps we can divise a workaround. Let Shemran’s date occur at the suggested restaurant. Without revealing anything too immediately provocative, give the dear Lady everything she wants. Charm her, indulge her curiosity, bait her with both flattery and information, and as the dinner draws to its culmination, inform her through telepathy that Shemran has, more to reveal to her and in private, away from prying ears. Tell her Shemran has a room in a new inn named Jhory’s Reprieve, where the wealthier politicals wouldn’t think to raid for secrets. Lure her here, get her in the front door, and immediately press her up against a table. Kiss her, whisper secrets to her mind, hold her body such that all she can think about is Shemran, and flip the trapdoor switch we installed to drop her into the cage.

We could then “question” her at our leasure, without the concern of letting others into our confidence.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Titan in the Playground

Arano exhales, a gesture that mirrors Kett's from moments ago. He glances from side to side, surveying the bare walls and ceiling of the subterranean hideout as well as the dwarf and half-elf across from him. His expression doesn't change. Eventually, his attention settles back on his partner. He nods once, without ostentation.

"I didn't hear a resounding 'yes', either. Let the Host hedge their bets, if indeed that was really them." Rolling up his sleeves, Arano extricates himself from his position and approaches the open book. He halts five feet away before addressing the three of you in the safe room. "If Dox or any Thuranni ra'vel come for me or mine, they'll get more than they planned. Forewarned is forearmed, isn't that the saying? Just the once, then we'll put it away."

Squaring his shoulders, the Phiarlan phantasm lowers his left hand. He hesitates only for the briefest second, inches away from the artifact's surface. Then he touches it. As his fingertips brush the pages, the Umbral Codex comes alive. It is as though someone has dropped ink in clear water: crepuscular tendrils emerge from the creases and margins of the book, writhing and extending to meet him. They caress the contours of his palm, tracing the valleys between his fingers. You see the exposed flesh on his neck and collarbone erupt in goosebumps.

"It's - it's so cold - " Arano's back bends over, and he looks about to collapse. Staggering in place, he manages to catch himself on the table. His shoulders rise and fall once, twice, three times. Then they slow. He steadies himself as he rises to his full height, and points shakily ahead of him. There, in the middle of the room, the Codex is already working its magic. The gloom that was denied to you unfurls beyond the confines of the book, spreading through the air on an absent wind. The darkness wastes no time taking shape: the familiar coastlines, rivers and mountains of Khorvaire are recognizable, just as it was described in Kasimir's journal. Across the landscape, you spy knots where the shadow concentrates, some moving but most staying still.

The shadowmarked, plain to see.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

Kett rushes forward to support her stumbling husband. He was taking on the brunt of it, and all she could do was be there for her. "Let it go if it gets too much," she whispers. For a moment her eyes stay on her husband, but ultimately they were putting him through this for information, and she can't ignore that. Her gaze moves to the map. Her eyes leave Throneport first though, searching the map of the continent for Lia. She'd be fine, Kett knew, but that didn't mean she didn't want to make sure. Her concerns assuaged, she moves back to Throneport. Nothing else outside the city really mattered at this point. Grab what they needed.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ogre in the Playground

As Arano start connecting with the book, the paladin feels uneasiness in the air, and an even greater sense of peril. Instead of shutting it out, he clings to the Flame and open himself to the nefarious power at work here, trying to understand what its unholy origin can be.

"Flame guide him, guide us!" he mubmles, as Arano's head falls and raise like his challenge to some higher power. Then, something appears. Everything. the familiar form of Breland, the road he took to come back to Throneport what now seems ages ago, his old home of Starilaskur... and many, much too many blackened marks on the shadow map, moving onto the scene.

"They... are... so many... enough for an endless war!" a shiver goes down the paladin's spine, as he look both in awe and contempt at the scene before him. As Kett moves to help her husband, Arimart instinctively moves toward them, and places his hand on Arano's shoulder.

"Be strong brave soul, we only need to concentrate on Throneport. Can you magnify our view on the city?"
    As he ask, without waiting, the paladin searches in his pocket and reaches for a magnifying glass, an instrument he kept from his days as an investigator in Sharn; putting it between his right eye and the map, he looks at the location where the city is, trying to understand if he can match images and positions
    Last edited by CozJa; 2021-11-21 at 12:48 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Drake blinked as the artifact came to life. He scrambled to pull forth his notebook and pen, opening to a blank page and jotting down several notes about Arano's reaction, descriptions of his hands and physical state, the feel of in the room, and any number of details an academic would find interesting. However, he was also a pragmatist, so he quickly transitioned into sketching a rough map of Khovaire and marking down the largest concentrations of dots, before he tried to focus on Throneport and the surrounding areas. "You are doing quite well, sir ... stay strong for just a few more minutes. If you can bring your focus on Throneport, that would help."

Of course, by focusing, he might be condemning to death any number of shadow-marked, but there was little they could do about that right now. Best he gather as much intelligence from this unique source and try to use it to deal with the looming issue at hand. He may not have any official training, but he had several years to learn a thing or two from a variety of teachers.

Outwardly, he was calm and collected; inwardly, he was a mass of excitement and nervousness. Focus on the key things first ... major muscle movements. Now, look for initial patterns - I wonder what that large group of dots is - no! Just collect, don't assess. You can speculate later. Now, focus in ... check the local area for dots, quickly before he collapses! Look for the outer areas ... large estates on the outskirts of town ... any Marked? Quickly ...

OOC - Working to take observations, roughly map Khorvaire, and look for detailed maps in Throneport.
    Show
    Show
    4th (x0): arcane eye, confusion, Leomund's secret chest, Mordenkainen's faithful hound divination, locate creature

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Titan in the Playground

"I should be able to..." grimaces Arano, hanging his head as he leans on both his wife and Arimart. Beads of sweat tumble from the elf's brows as he disappears into a miasma of intense concentration. The map ahead of you begins to morph and twist, the borders dissolving into ephemeral mist and reforming just as quickly. The process does not leave much time to get more than the barest glimpse at the state of Khorvaire at large - enough to note the largest concentrations of shadowmarked in Sharn, Fairhaven, Thaliost, Wroat, and in Regalport - before you are met with the currents of Scions Sound and the island of Thronehold.

The low-lying hills and inlets that surround the city come first, but before long the Codex's spectral tableau has created the outer battlements and walls of Galifar's former capital. You make out the walls and turrets that carve up the body of Throneport, the grid-like patterns of the old city spreading eastward and south from the grand structures of Thronehold Castle. The Aundairan Zone. The Karrnathi Zone. The Brelish Zone. The Thrane Zone. And of course, the neighborhood in which you now stand, the Port District. The map has settled onto your desired permutation. Scanning the waves of frozen pitch and silver, you espy small clusters of the very same dots. Their placement is immediate and you notice a pattern right away: most of the clusters are placed at or near the city's gates. There are several more on the docks, and more than a few in the city's main thoroughfares.

The House of Counted Shadows still bears a small group, but less than when you were there last night. A few more dots are on the move, but most appear to be stationary, barely circulating beyond fixed points. Patrol schedules perhaps?

"There are forty-six shadowmarked agents in the city," gets out the elf with his hand on the book. "None friendly. I think they're trapping us in. And there's more. Two ships... one from Flamekeep, another from Thaliost. Each carrying a kill team. Dox is waiting until she has the numbers she needs before - "

"Oh. Oh no." Arano goes rigid, muscles tensing up. He doubles over once more, before throwing his head up. When he meets your gaze, both pupils and sclera are jet black. "I don't know what's happening. I can feel this. Their eyes. I think they can see me. I think they can all see me."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-11-30 at 06:19 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

Kett throws her arm out and thrusts the book away from her husband, flinging it across the room without a second thought to break the connection. For just a moment she leaves her husband to Arimart, following behind the accursed tome. When she touches it, she feels nothing - no cold, no warmth. It's just a book. She can't even feel the tingle of the magic, and for a brief moment she's reminded of just how different the world can be for those born with a Mark to those without. She has never resented her lack of one, just the complications that could come from it. She takes her bedroll and wraps it around the book, before following up with rope. The knot wouldn't hold anyone who had half a second with it, but it kept the book out of naked hands regardless. The package hangs loosely from one hand as she turns back to the group.

"You're leaving the city today." It hurt, sending her husband away, but they had no choice at this point. They had zero leads on the book's safe destruction and now they had half-a-hundred at least bearing down on them. She was confident in her skills, but she also knew when discretion was the better part of not getting killed, and he'd have a better chance of keeping ahead of them on his own. "We're out of time and options. If we want to keep the book out of Dox's hands, it needs to not be here anymore. You'll leave with it, the rest of us will play decoy." She glances at Arimart and Drake. Even with her disguise capabilities neither would pass for Arano under any scrutiny. They might have to rely on Gryphon or Kleris, and that would probably cost her. There wasn't an opportunity to stop and think anymore. 'Cares not for any book' indeed.

DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon rubbed across his face with his hand for a moment. This dammed book, the old man's kidnapping, whatever Mercuria is, and now Shemran needs dating advice. How have I let my henchmen get so distracted by other goals?

It's like chasing a moth, you need to not be distracted by all the other bugs in your sonar and concentrate on the glorious kill.

That's a very helpful analogy Spritz, thank you, Gryphon thinks sardonically to his familiar. Kleris, we seem to have found ourselves in the midst of a squall of intersecting concerns. I'm going to reach out to an adult to help ascertain the best course for our procession. Without further hesitation, Gryphon holds his left hand to his forehead, reaches out into the empty space of the room with his right, and casts Sending

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Ogre in the Playground

When Kett takes the book and throws it across the room, Arimart helps the elf standing.

After he recuperates some of his energies and his wife has covered the book, the paladin let her speak for a while, then he interjects in the conversation.

"Let's not be hasty, miss Kett. Sure, the shadowmarked are hunting us, and now they know about Arano, but we still have some cards to play."
    The paladin looks around the place, observing the room.

"We may be able to fight off some attackers here, but if they are really converging on us, the marked are too many. However, sending Arano alone with the book, especially after every Shadowmarked has seen him, may not be our wisest choice..."

The paladin turns to look at Drake, then at Kett and Arano.

"We need a way to delay them, to cancel their advantage. Your kind walks in the darkness, and strike from the shadows. What we did most since we met has been running around the city blowing things up, and when we tried to use the shadows in our advantage, it backfired. We need to drag them in the sunlight, to place on them a signal larger than the one on our backs. Professor Drake, were you able to pinpoint the location of the groups? I could contact the Wardens and the City guard, asking for an arrest warrant on Dox and her shadowmarked associates. We know they killed at least a person, and one of the twins killed a guardsman and was able to go out. If we can put some pressure on them, it won't stop them, but it should be enough to even the playing field."

Arimart stops again, and looks at the door, with his face pointing just higher in the building.

"We need to call Gryphon and Kleris. Whatever we do, we have to do it together!"
    Last edited by CozJa; 2021-12-02 at 12:02 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Titan in the Playground

Kett Collier
    Human Shadow Monk/Rogue

"Very poetic Arimart," Kett snaps back, a little harsher than intended. An enormous target had just been painted on her husband - and Lia - and they had precious little time to debate. "We'd need more than meatshields to 'drag them into the light', we'd have to do something...like..." She trails off as the thoughts fall into place. In hindsight it seemed obvious. They couldn't have done it before, but now that Arano had activated the book and it had worked both ways it was 'open season', so to speak. The prosecutor was right. And so she verbalised it. "You're right." Her tone was one of quiet surprise, both at the situation and her own words. "It's bigger than us at this point. Five or ten or twenty aren't enough, so we'll tip the scales."

In the dim light of the cellar she phases away, moving through the gloom up to the door at the top of the stairs. She flings it open, absent any cares of what discussion might be going on. Their plots and schemes could wait, and whatever they were would likely be dwarfed - or adjusted - when she announces her thoughts. Gryphon would probably be on board, Kleris...maybe. Arimart probably Drake...probably. Arano might actually require convincing on this, but she didn't see any alternatives. They were outmatched by sheer numbers alone, and even if the Shadowmarked started hacking each other to pieces in the streets before they could get the tome, they'd still be at a severe numbers disadvantage. "Come downstairs please. The situation has changed." She leaves the door open as she flits back down through the shadows, vanishing from sight and appearing amidst a smokey cloud of gloom a moment later, back beside her husband. "If stealth is out of the window and escape off the table, then we should go to Thronehold - and see the Magistrates." She'd save the full explanation for the return of the other two, but it seemed a worthy plan on its face.

Everyone was out for themselves, which meant that they'd also be out to stop other people. Inherently selfish motivations that would ultimately bring them together. In a less serious situation she might have smirked, but her face is resolute.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC