New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

Often these criminals flee the five nations to hide in Droaam if they aren’t caught. We have no desire to have our land populated by these malcontents. If hunting such a criminal is your goal then I am at your, and the tribunal’s, disposal Prosecutor Kaessel.

If your prey’s location is only know for the next few hours then let’s move. Where to next?
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

"Just point me in the right direction." Kett reassures Arimart. It still felt like a distraction to her. It just doesn't seem like it could connect to Arano, but she'd play along for now. She glanced down at her bare, previously injured, arms. If there were more of these warforged on the horizon, she didn't much fancy punching them all to death. "Ah, but I should probably get some stuff together if we're headed out now. Tell me where to meet you, I'll be there before you know it." Her ship wasn't far, chances are if she ran she'd be there and back before they arrived at their new destination.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Raz

"Knowing who we are hunting, and the target's capabilities could prove useful for what's to come."

It sounds more like a remark than a question. If Arimart would have wanted to say who they were hunting, he probably had.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris grunts as he wrestles with a strap on the armor, "Well that seems a fair trade, if I'm going to be helping out the inn here it seems like having a friend with the city would be a boon. Especially given what happened."

He stands up and picks at his chain shirt, "I wouldn't mind either running back to my rooms to grab my gear or a quick hour to rest and commune."
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

"While I understand the desire to rest a little, for what I know, time is of the essence, and I wouldn't want to end up investigating other murder victims, this evening. We have to reach the sewers south-west of here, under Scuttle, if you think you can fetch what you need and reach us in time, it's fine, we'll wait there, but we should act as fast as possible."
    The Paladin stops for a moment, then looks at all his newfound companions.
    "If you are all convinced."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Knowledge on the Midnighters, not sure what to use, but Arimart got no bonus anyway
    [roll+1d20[/roll]
    Does this poster have a sign?

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

"I'll be there, I'm pretty quick on my feet." Kett reassures them before heading out into the night air. The salty sea breeze was a refreshing change to the stank of the tavern. She slips through the darkness to the her temporary residence - Heather. As its form came into view through the darkness Kett is struck again by its sleek beauty. She hadn't asked where it was made but it was clearly a labour of love, both by its creators and its crew. She jogs up the ramp. There's a few crew left around, but none bother her, if they even notice the silent figure in their midst - the other reason she was quite fond of the ship. They didn't ask questions as long as the money was good.

Her cabin was a modest affair, but she wasn't paying for luxury, just privacy. A neat freak by nature, everything was where it needed to be. She strapped on the bracers first, feeling the pulse of magic run up her arms as she did so. Arano's protection, even when she was hunting him. It wasn't a funny thought. Then, her gloves. A masterpiece of design from the stitching through to the enchantments. Lia had help sourcing the materials but all the work had been hers. As she straps them on, a draconic rune pulses on the back of each glove - she can't read it herself, but Lia had assured her it said translated into a wish for safety, a farewell that hopes you'll see them again. The rune dissipates quickly leaving the brown leather clear and unassuming to the naked eye.

With the most important items sorted, she looks to address the rest of her outfit, trading out her now ripped, stained and ruined shirt for a long-sleeve back tunic and matching trousers. Three daggers on her belt, one up her sleeve and one strapped to her calf and she's ready to go. Grabbing her bag with the rest of the equipment, she's out the door and back on the streets in a moment, heading to the rendezvous point. If the rest were walking there at a leisurely pace, she might even beat them there. The thought amuses her, and she speeds up.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris sighs and then plucks his chain shirt again, "Well fair enough if its time sensitive to that degree. But may the six damn me if I go into combat with this again. I'll need a few minutes to wrap up this and get on one of these breastplates."

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

As A few people scatter into the night Gryphon uses Prestidigitation clean the blood and warforged fluid out of his hair and clothes. Heading into a sewer or not, he had no intention of waking through the city looking like he’d been in a street brawl.

After making sure he looked presentable he has a quick telepathic conversation with Spritz about what they might have heard about Scuttle and what might be found under it. Having Spritz with him have Gryphon support and a bit of comfort in what was otherwise an uncomfortable situation. Charging into a den of thieves without a full compliment of spells sounded suspiciously like a synonym for suicide.

Turning to those that remained with him in the Speckled Hen, Shall we travel out in the open or subrosa?

Show
    Spritz takes the help action to assist Gryphon to gather information about Scuttle.

History check with advantage:
    (1d20+7)[16]
    Or
    (1d20+7)[14]

If it’s an int check rather than a history check than subtract 3 from both rolls.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Subrosa

The residents of the Speckled Hen are, after some confusion over the events going on, content to help with stripping the fallen warforged of their gear and equipping Kleris with a breastplate in under a minute. The distraught woman, whose name is Elise, wishes the hexblade and the others well on their journeys. Meanwhile, Kett takes off from the inn swiftly in the direction of the docks, with an aim to meet up with the rest of the group at their destination in Scuttle itself. The monk leaving seems to serve as some unconscious signal, as nearly everyone but the remnants of the staff file out of the building and disappear into the night, leaving only four men to step out and catch a criminal.

The directions provided to Arimart - written by Renn, and delivered by Raz - indicate that there are a few entrances to the sewers that run under the slums of Scuttle. Thankfully, one such entrance is apparently off of a side street not too far to the north-west of you, across Silver Way - so there is no need to cross over any of the major zone boundaries. For all that, your approach is quiet, hugging the furtive shadowed aisles of stone and brick and mud that make up this city of rogues. You evade the attention of numerous passers by largely through the action of your shifter scout, whose magic conceals your forms from all but the most attentive views. Looking behind you, there are absolutely no prints in the ground in your wake. Absence lingers around all of you like a cool cloak.

Crossing the Silver Way itself is your largest challenge: the lane spans the better part of forty feet across, wide enough for several large wagons to travel to and from the northern docks from the central boroughs of Throneport. Indeed, even at this time of night there are busy groups at work: men, elves, dwarves, and all sorts traverse up and down this major commercial artery, heading either to the ships or else towards Eryth Square and the city's main markets. This is where Kett finds you, and four becomes five once more. As you step out into the moonlight, the magic of Raz's spell changes - no longer are your features concealed outright, but you find that at every turn, there is something in the way between you and the majority of those on the street. A horse-drawn carriage, a group of robed priests, and a shouting match between two men all detract attention from you until you find yourselves facing a series of run down facades.

Here, you stalk through the memory of a neighborhood. The buildings here are nearly as much growth and ruin as they are brick and mortar. What few faces you spot in your path are concealed behind half-closed shutters or turn away as soon as you approach. Finally, there's a stench to the air that grows more pungent the further you press into the warren of streets. It's sharp and acrid, lying somewhere on the spectrum between desperate and actively offensive. There's no mistaking it: you're in Scuttle now. The street corner is exactly where the note said it would be, and before a minute has passed you uncover a single manhole tucked between two buildings.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-05-28 at 12:16 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you Raz. Gryphon whispers when they arrive at their destination. That was an expert bit of magic.

He peers down either side of the buildings between which the manhole is located. If there’s no one eyeballing the group he bows low to get both himself and Spritz close to the sewer entrance. The two of them look the covering up and down for any sign of traps or alarm bells that could be connected to it.

Spoiler: Perception Check
    Show

Spritz does the help action on Gryphon

Perception Check W/Advantage: (1d20+3)[23]
    Second Roll: (1d20+3)[4]

If neither of them are able to find anything suspicious about the manhole cover then Gryphon draws his hand through the air gathering water from his water skins and shaping it into a Prybar using the Shape Water cantrip before freezing it into place. He holds the prybar out to Arimart.

Care to do the honors, Prosecutor? I believe you’ve brought the most upper body strength to this particular gathering.
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2020-05-28 at 02:09 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101

Raz

Given the seamless nature of their short travel, Raz is relieved that he had taken the time to practice the spell in urban surroundings. He humbly bows his head to Gryphon's compliment, but his grin cannot hide a certain pride.

Then, Gryphon starts to display some magic of his own, and while Raz had seen this kind of magic before, he must compliment the creativity, if only through the expression on his face. While not jealous, and confident in his own abilities, Raz knows well that magic is what could make the difference in basically every encounter, from confusing a hand full of bandits to slaying the enemy commander with the flick of a finger. Given his talent and creativity, Raz is happy to see the half-elf on this side of the battle field. Or the way there.

While the physically strong would solve the problem of the manhole, Raz looks for tracks on the ground, trying to make out whether the opening had been used as entry or exit in the near past.

Show

I don't quite know whether this is survival (but I think that's mostly for tracking the creature), investigation (as I am basically looking for clues?) or perception (because I'm trying to see/smell something, I don't have scent, but smelling is perception anyway, I think). So, I'm just going to roll a d20, and list the mods:

(1d20)[4]
    +3 Investigation
    +6 Survival
    +6 Perception

I also have this feature if it helps: "While tracking other creatures, you also learn their exact number, their sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

As the group walks silently into the night, Arimart takes his time to evaluate the situation: he is walking with a group of almost complete strangers into what could possibly be a trap, looking for a man who could be a capable warrior as any of them, if not even more. And who knows if they will be the only one looking for him?
    The situation was not something the magistrates would have defined as 'optimal'... apart from Vhuklok maybe.

As they reach the place indicated by the note, the renewed assault on his nostrils brings him back to the here and now, and the Prosecutor looks with a hint of suprise at Gryphon clever use of his spells. He almost reminds him of Trelib reourcefulness. A pity that his questionable choice of political allies won't bring him far in Throneport.

Arimart takes the icy prybar, and starts to force the manhole open, all the while explaining the situation to all, after Kett has finally caught up with them.

"Ok, first of all, I want to thank you again for following me here. I'm looking for a man called Maugrim and, as it seems, he is with the midnighters, a once powerful group of... well, let's just call them 'not really law-abiding citizens' and leave it as it is. However, they are but a shade of their former 'glory'. I really hope that we can avoid bloodshed, but I fear that Maugrim may not be so eager to come with me, in that case, I fear that violence may be a possible solution. Whatever happens, remember that Maugrim must be taken alive. And it wouldn't hurt to avoid raising the death counts for the night anyway." As he works the hole, he stops speaking for a while, as if recollecting some lost thoughts.
    "One last thing: we may not be the only ones after Maugrim and the midnighters."

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Kett's rejoining of the group goes smoothly - no one asking about her weapons was a good start. Perhaps too smoothly, but hopefully it was just them focusing on the task ahead. Once Arimart gives his explanation, she crosses her arms. "That's a bit vague." With a glance at the rest of the group she says what some of them were possibly thinking and she was definitely thinking - "If you know who else might be after this guy, we should know who they are - in case of previous..." She trails off, looking for the right word, "entanglements. It could help us down there, if we end up working together rather than against each other. The more we know, the better, right?"
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

"I understand your concern, but regarding this, I'm in the dark as you are. The note we read" he says glancing at Raz, "speaks only about other people."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, it wouldn't be Throneport if they didn't cover everything up under three layers of mystery and vagueries, maybe add in a metaphor for good measure" she replies with a sigh. "Guess we'll just have to hope that they end up more friend than foe. Nothin' else to it."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #106

Raz

"As far as I know, the Midnighters nowadays indulge in trafficking people and more exotic creatures. Why an ex-d'Deneith merc-general-turned-traitor decides to run with those people..." He shrugs. "Maybe he tries to hide. Or get revenge. Or just find a place where his service is recognized again by someone. Regarding who else is behind them... My guess would be, his past. Maybe some of those he betrayed survived and thought he got off lightly. Or... maybe there's a much more trivial reason." He pauses for a moment, as if someone just struck him. "Why are you hunting him anyway? Because of his affiliation with the Midnighters?"

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris chews his lip slightly as he wonders how the staff were doing. He had given them each a gold and told them he would be back but they had been through a lot. They might just bail and not come back, he hoped they would though. 'You could have used that gold, bought a crappy room for a few weeks or so to use as a safehouse. We play a dangerous game.'

'Giving to the less fortunate is not just a noble calling, it is a gift given freely pays twice in return.'

He glances around at the slums they entered, watching to see who is watching them and for how long. He felt bad for the poor people living here but he trusted them as far as he could throw them. He had seen enough urchins and homeless folk point the way to him during his vigilante days to known that some people do anything for a few copper.

He is however startled at the ease in which they manage to ghost through the slums, for the most part thanks to the shifters nature magic. It must have been the first time he had managed to sneak through a place in the traditional manner. Usually he had to manage it in the 'hidden in plain sight' method since he had no skills whatsoever.

His lips quirk as Gryphon pulls water out and turns it into a crowbar, it was a clever trick. All sorts of tricks flash through his mind and he mutters under his breath half to himself "I wonder if you could fill a lock with water and freeze it to a key shape."

This talk of midnighters goes over his head, however he signed on for this ride so he wasn't getting off now. HE shifts his new breastplate a little as it rides a little low and makes sure his shield is strapped onto his arm tightly. He leaves the sword in the sheath for now but flexes his hand as he reaches for the power around him and within him."Any idea of capabilities? We going to face a bunch of thugs with swords and clubs? They got some hedge wizards or links to any monster groups? I'm with you all no matter but its always nice to know."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

I assume the Tribunal is interested in Maugrim for the Treason at Thaliost, is that right Prosecutor?

So “Nameless” Maugrim is the target. As far as war criminals go you could hardly hope for a more ideal target. Better to hunt an old man with a sword than someone who develops magic diseases that melt your organs or a sadist who perfected new methods of torture.

But who else would be interested that wasn’t working for the tribunal? Deneith thugs who want House justice? Seems unlikely; Maugrim’s prosecution is more professional than personal for a gang of sellswords.

Karnathi Army Officers seeking revenge for betrayal? Hmmm Karnathi is represented on the Tribunal already. They’d probably just push for a more cruel punishment through official channels.

Perhaps it’s former comrades or someone he left in Thaliost that’s heard rumors the tribunal has tracked him down and is out to protect him from us. But that doesn’t fit perfectly either. If someone cared about him and knew he was living in the sewers why wait until now to reach out?

Gryphon thinks back to what his Grandmother Maenya would say about assaulting a stronghold. And opens his mouth to reply to Kleris’ question.

If Maugrim is working with The Midnighters then there’s a good chance he’s organized them into a decently respectable combat force. A direct up and down fight probably isn’t going to be ideal. Mr. Raz can you maintain your magic on us as we continue down into their lair? If we can hit them by surprise we’ll likely lose less blood.

As if reminded by his own words Gryphon reaches into the Bag of Holding slung across his back and pulls forth a small flask of dark brown sticky herbal liqueur. He checks the hand written label, nods his head, and drains it.

Show
    Gryphon drinks one of his homemade potions of Healing: (2d4+2)[7]

HP: 28/38
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2020-05-30 at 11:56 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

As the five of you stand in the alley discussing the job, Gryphon conjures and transmutes a tool of solid ice from his inventory and hands it to Arimart. The khoravar lawyer then kneels down before the cover and gets to work while the rest of the group discusses what is likely to come. Seconds turn into minutes unabated, the night's quiet broken only by your own voices and the distant sounds of wailing children and the howling of dogs. A bit of light spills out over the alley from above, a bit of garbage tumbling down to the street as someone tosses their refuse out from their upper landing before closing their window.

While the charms of Scuttle make themselves known to you, Arimart is able to wrench the metal grate free. Before you lies a hole extending into the earth, small rungs extending from one side of the vertical passage. Those of you able to see in the dark make out the depth of the passage to be perhaps a little more than thirty feet and that the descent opens into a small chamber of stone, but little else beside. From this vantage point, anything else is unclear.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Deneith meant human. Which meant they couldn't see any better than she could. Probably. 'Midnighters' did imply some sort of darkness connection but it could just be a name. Wouldn't be the first time. She leaned over the hole trying to see down but got nothing but a black void in response. For a moment, she considers just going for it - tossing a torch down, jumping in after and forcing them into moving, but it was still a good idea to not overplay her hand or be too aggressive. She slunk back slightly, allowing others to look into the opened gap. "Probably best for those who can actually see in the dark to go first, yeah? Guessing that there'll be more lighting further in for these 'Midnighters', but any of our own light would give us away ahead of time. If we're trying to sneak up on them we should stay dark."

It was frustrating having to play pretend. Chances are she'd be unshackled a bit after the next fight though, so just a little bit longer.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

21. - Top - End - #111

Raz

"That's my cue. I'll have a quick look around." He crouches down and while on ground floor, he gropes the first rung to see whether it was slippery and stable enough, in general. Assuming they generally promise not to break on use, he produces some rope from his backpack and affixes it to his belt. Handing the other end to Arimart, he adds, "I'd rather have a lifeline. Body doesn't work so well anymore since... Well, let's just say the war left its scars." He turns to the manhole and carefully starts his descent.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

As Raz descends, Arimart holds the rope, waiting for the shifter to tell them something. "Keep us informed, and remember that at least two of us can see in the dark as you"
    The paladin reflects on Raz words "Mh... a veteran of war then. By his accent he may come frome the western lands. Who knows if his scars ar uglier on the outside, or in the inside?"

As if to stop a train of thoughts whose direction the Khoravar didn't like, Arimart answers to Gryphon, clarifying things a bit more for the group.

"Yes, he is wanted for the Treason, and my goal... our goal, is to bring him back alive, to face justice. But the real justice served in the court of all nations, not the swift and often faulty 'justice' that many search for on the tip of a blade..."

The paladin ties the rope to a metallic protusion that looks solid enough, waiting to follow Raz with the rest of his companions. "Can we come down?" He asks to the Shifter, ready to climb down.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Raz

With your athletic frame and speed, the climb down into the earth is both swift and simple. You don't miss a rung of the ladder, and you find the rope unnecessary when you reach the bottom. Your eyes, naturally used to hunting at night and honed further by your training to fight in complete darkness if necessary, pick up on most of the details about your surroundings. With the lights out, it's all shades of white and black overlapping and coalescing into one another, a moving oil painting on a blank canvas.

The chamber you've descended into is not large, a roughly hexagonal circle about fifteen feet across at its highest width. The ceiling closes together like a flower bulb at about ten feet, the shaft you just climbed down emerging from the top in the negative space. It's rather dirty down here - a bit of refuse, dirt and other things that prick at your very fine sense of smell - but you've seen and been in worse spots in your life. There is an exit from this chamber, a tunnel that's barely tall enough for you stand up in or wide enough for you to traverse. It seems to lead to a larger sewer, if the sounds of gurgling water up ahead is correct, but there is a grate of wrought iron with a heavy metal padlock barring you from going further down the hall.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-06-02 at 06:43 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

24. - Top - End - #114

Raz climbs down, more nimble than strong, his feet good at finding a hold on slippery ground. While he descends, whoever looks down the man hole sees him quite literally vanish* once the ambient light of the surface world does not strike his body anymore.

He takes a quick look around, and then climbs up again to report what he has seen. He does not leave out any detail of what he has perceived.

Spoiler: * OOC
    Show
    The moment you rely on darkvision to see him, he turns invisible for you.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

"So...okay, fine." Kett bites back any further questions or commentary. Instead she swings herself down into the hole and descends the ladder quickly. Surrounded by darkness, for a moment she brings up her right hand to the side of her head, fingers ready to tap the temple and give her the sight she needs. An automatic reaction, one drilled into her over years of work. It takes her a moment to reconsider. Might need it later for something else, and given the description, it was unlikely there were others nearby - if there were, Raz would have presumably spotted their light. Can't see them, can't see us.

Kett tugs a torch out and ignites it, casting a flickering glow across the small chamber. Worst came to worst she'd just leave it here as a marker.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon follows the Ranger and the Monk down the ladder into the sewers. The Speckled Hen and now this? These humanoids really collect as many foul smells as possible.

When Kett starts igniting her torch he steps as far away into the shadows as possible.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

He rolls his eyes as the elder half elf goes on his preachy speech about justice. Choosing not to get into that rotten apple of a topic right now.

'Oh thank the Traveler. Someone has a torch.' He hated having to pretend he had dark vision, it had led to some very interesting bluffs in the past. Now was not the time to share the changeling card with these people and it was always bad when someone figured it out for themselves.

He flexes his fingers once more and joins the others heading down the hole. If nothing else he would have the ability to see these people in action.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

As they descend into the sewers, the group arrange for themselves to advance in a precise order, following Gryphon suggestions; as they reach for the grate, Arimart tries to force it open, encountering more difficulties than expected, especially since the darkness is mitigated by the Half-elf vision, but not completely negated.
    The first time the padlock seems ready to pop, but it escapes from Arimart's grip, clanging a bit. The paladin stops for a moment, forcing his ears to hear every possible whisper in the dark. When he is sure, he tries again, this time a crystal in the Icy Prybar cracks into the Paladin's hand, who loses his grip again, and the prybar falls over the grate, releasing a terrible loud noise.
    Even in the darkness, the Khoravar can feel the disappointed eyes of his companions, and the prying glares of misterious enemies in the night.
    starting to lose patience, he tries again, and for the third time he is not able to open it. Thinking that he should act quickly, the paladin moves his hand toward the handle of his warhammer. "I should've smashed it!" He thinks.
    Before losing completely his patience, the Paladin refocus himself, looks at the grate, recite a silent prayer to the Silver Flame, asking guidance for his hands, and is finally able to force the passage open.

"Let's go, by now even the Tarkanans* will now where we are."

Spoiler: *
    Show

A criminal organization of aberrant dragonmarked individuals, based in Sharn

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Clang!

After the shifter has come back up for air and delivered his report of his findings, all five of you assume a beneficial order and begin your climb down into shadow. Of course, the room that you find yourselves in can barely fit you all with your gear and bulky armor, which results in a lot of jostling and extreme close quarters for strangers who have by and large only met an hour ago. When Kett lights her torch, it reveals a dank antechamber, the metal grille and bars in the far corridor, and the passage further into the sewers. And, of course, the solitary lock that stands in your way.

Clang!

As you have no tools on hand to deal with this impossible obstacle, the strongest among you - the paladin Arimart - is chosen to try his hand at a more refined solution. As the rest of you pressing yourselves up against the dirty and dingy stone in order to give the half-elf room to perform his craft, you can feel the moisture of the city's groundwater begin to permeate into your outer clothing from the mortar between the bricks. With a mighty swing, the Tribunal prosecutor brings his warhammer down on the lock in order to break its hold, only for the impact to make a mighty thundering boom. When you check the damage, you can see that the device holds steady.

Clang!

What vile and pernicious foe is this padlock, for it continues to stymie your hero! One, two, three times he repeats the gesture, pausing between each attempt to see if the mechanism has broken and the gate can be opened. It is only after the fourth such swing - when the paladin swears an oath to his deity - that the lock is finally shook loose from its adamant moorings and discarded on the ground where it belongs. Of course, as Arimart remarks, there is likely nobody nearby who hasn't heard the sound of repeated hammering echoing in the deep.

Clang!

After you have all arranged yourselves in your desired line, you file out down the hall, which quickly reveals itself to be a side passage from a much more spacious sewer. Down here, the walls are gently curved into a low hanging arc that nonetheless gives you ten to fifteen feet of clearance from where you stand. The middle of the hall drops away to a small depression in the stone, in which flows a stream of foul looking and worse smelling water from a small grate to the north of you. The floor here is slightly slanted, which allows the water to flow south. After a time, the hallway comes to a sort of crossroads, with an east-west passage intersecting the north-south run. Both tributaries seem to join their own deposits into the same stream, which continues south unabated.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

After the enormous racket that Arimart raised, any concern about her torch making them stand out was dissolved. She specifically focuses on breathing through her nose - it's unpleasant, but she'd found it was the best way to acclimatise yourself quickly, to revel in it rather than resist it. Like pulling out an arrow. She refrains from making any further comment about the noise and instead follows dutifully at the back of the group, though they stopped a little bit quickly for her taste. She'd barely gotten into the swing of things.

"Don't suppose we've got precise directions on where we're going? Sewers are fun and all, but they're also massive." She makes an offhand comment while she tries to peak round the group at the intersection, her eyes trying to catch any sort of indentation or shape that resembled footprints that could give an indication of direction - or possibly just the path of some other silly sewer diver like they were.

Spoiler: Check
    Show
    Going to presume Perception for spotting tracks? Investigation and Survival have the same modifier either way.
    (1d20+3)[15]
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC