New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of Neutral Ground IC

When Arimart mentions and indicates his 'friend', Clervec looks beyond him, gaze straying to Kleris. He does not interrupt the prosecutor, but makes a soft clicking noise with his tongue when it's clear that everyone is waiting on him to speak. "A hideout does not interest me. This is not our only place of business in the city, and I've found that being mobile offers more security than any place with a name. Besides, from what we've heard of the Speckled Hen and your choice of words, you couldn't offer any concrete assurances as to our safety there."

The supposed leader of the Midnighters takes a step closer, right up to the edge of the barrier. "However, being insulated from the law... now that is something worth our while. If you can provide us with contacts or an untouchable way into the city, that might just be worth the price of seeing your man. Assuming of course, that I believe you will keep your word."

Walking up at his side, the half-elf with the eyepatch who Clervec names Fallerian calls out to Gryphon, Kleris, or Raz. "Well then? Your man Arimart here, would you trust him to honour an oath if you were us?"
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris has to hold himself still as the urge to smack Arimart on the back of the head. They didnt even own the inn, yes he was planning on trying to sort out some deal but still. Considering that no one other then him had spared any thought on the workers or inn that they had pretty much wrecked.

However...

This could work, he had an idea ruminating in his mind about the inn. Turning it into a base of operations and information trading hotspot. That would keep this group coming around so he could keep an eye on them, it would just be too damn convenient.

Kleris smiles and nods with Arimart "The soon to be renamed Speckled Inn will soon be a hot spot of the underworld. Trading information and resources with interested parties. Rent a room for your private meetings with secrecy guarantees. Izars Daughters has already expressed interest in the inn for those reasons. As you can see we already have links to law enforcement to... smooth things along. The big man here is planning on being a silent partner himself."
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Raz

Still in the back, he adds:

"What do you think why we wade through this brown soup with him, eh? Seriously, though. This here is not about swearing oaths, leave that for fancy ceremonies. This here is about doing business. When you go to a jeweller and ask for a real nice necklace for your sweetie, what keeps him from selling you junk for good money? Not a fancy oath he swore. He just knows that if you ever find out, he loses his reputation, store or fingers for good. It's the rules of trade. You don't trust the other side to be nice, you trust them to have something to lose."

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

My friend here is quite right. In times like these you have to trust that someone’s got something to lose and our sterling Arimart here is a paladin. If he’s stops upholding his oaths the angels stop showing him their favor. You can trust that if he doesn’t keep his word he will find himself in a unique position of loss.
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2020-06-16 at 06:20 PM.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

5. - Top - End - #155

Raz

Good thing they can't read my mind, right now. Raz thinks to himself regarding Kleris' bluff. But there was too much at stake to leave him hanging. Maybe it could work to play on their economic understanding of Whatever we don't take, others do.

"As you see, we are thinking big here." He follows up on Kleris' offer. "This is not about earning a few plat dragons. It's an opportunity to invest into a better future. For those being part of it, that is." The last sentence clearly indicating that this is chance for them to be a part of it, if they act now.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Kett grips the hilt of her dagger tighter as the lies grew. Ambitious. Great, if it works, but she expects to hear the telltale thwip and thwunk of a crossbow bolt any moment now. Even without seeing them she was planning out the fight. Two voices. Leader and Second. Kill the Second, capture the leader, threaten the rest into submission or retreat. Hopefully it would be that simple.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Clervec's eyes track back and forth between the half-elves and the shifter, not landing on any one of you for too long. He says nothing as your group defends Arimart's honor and doubles down on your deception, letting each of you speak your piece. When Kleris mentions Izar's Daughters, his elegant brows rise as a susurration ripples through the ranks of those near him. The murmurs don't stop until he raises a hand.

"Well now, that does change things somewhat. If you're in with the Daughters, then perhaps I misjudged your ability to get us what we might want." He sucks air inward between his teeth, noting the looks that everyone on his side of the palisade is giving him. Fallerian just shrugs at him, to which Clervec gives a little smile.

"Alright, let's say that you've persuaded me that your friendship is worthwhile, that you can offer us a place to do business that is protected from investigation, and that will allow us to grow our relationships with crews like the Daughters. Let's say that. It might well be worth the price we got paid to take the man you're looking for into the city. But me and mine can't live on 'might' - we can't eat promises, can't drink rhetoric." He raises his arms, as though to indicate the entire group at his back.

"I just wouldn't be doing right by my people if I didn't ask for a little something up front, to ease our collective consciences. Say... three hundred galifars? That ought to tide us over for a spell, until we can start seeing the benefits of that which you've promised."

Raz

It's subtle enough, but while Clervec is talking, you hear noises coming from a ways down the long east-west corridor. Your finely-attuned senses note that there is a void not too far ahead, where the local sewer opens up into an even larger tunnel that will eventually deposit its material out into the bay. It is from that opening that you hear it: the faintest splashing of water, followed by the clattering of stone.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-06-15 at 07:23 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, reputation does have its advantages" thinks Arimart, both satisfied and a bit flattered by the words of his companions, even if he knows that they come from deception.

As Clervec answers, making his counter offer, the paladin thinks about the situation. He is growing wary of those smugglers, but they didn't attack him, and looking at them, he can understand their need for something tangible. He reaches for his equipment and takes a metallic helm he kept on his back, as it was some kind of funky bowl.

"Sadly I had a chart full of gold right back there in the sewers, but it broke a wheel!" He answers with a smile, while showing the helm.
    "I can give you this as a collateral. It is a rare item, which I counted on a lot in the past. Even if used, I'm sure its value is still around what you ask for. I'll live it here to you as a deposit, and come back when everything's over with the money you wanted. Now, if you think that my equipment is more tangible than my word. Can we see your guest?"

Spoiler: Spoilered spoils
    Show

Arimart offers his Helm of Comprehend Languages as a deposit.

Those bandits better accept, or he's going to lose patience!
    Does this poster have a sign?

9. - Top - End - #159

Raz

The shifter suddenly becomes somewhat agitated for a moment, waving with his hand, and once he has the attention of at least some people of either side, he first points to his ear, then to the east, and rotates his hand as if saying "carry on" or "keep it going". He then starts to slowly move towards the source of the sound, stopping every 20ft or so, trying to make out further signs of its origin.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Stealth - (1d20+16)[20]
    darkvision 90ft., ignoring difficult terrain.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

She was impressed, despite herself. She wasn't a fan of the feeling - it usually meant she'd underestimated someone and that had the tendency to go badly, but they'd managed to barter entrance successfully. She stows the dagger and steps out from behind the corner and into sight. Throwing on a smile and giving a lighthearted one-handed salute to the Midnighters. "Hello! I'm Kett. Sorry for not showing up sooner, I didn't want to interrupt when everyone was in discussion."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

The leader of the Midnighters just chuckles when Arimart produces the helm. Muttering an incantation under his breath, his pupils start to glow more intensely for a moment as he surveys the item from afar. Gryphon recognizes the typical incantation for detecting the presence of magic, but not much else besides. Clervec finishes his appraisal after a few seconds, giving the matter hardly more thought. A few of the his crew members jump a little bit at Kett's sudden appearance at the back of your ranks and Raz's equally sudden disappearance, but ultimately no arrows fly and cooler heads prevail.

"That will do for now. You and your friends can come inside, Arimart, but you must promise to keep your weapons sheathed at all times. Spellcasting must be done under my supervision." The smugglers at the barrier begin to lower their weapons, as Fallerian steps and beckons all of you with a hand. As those of you who approach step forward, the half-elf guides you around the various hazards and pitfalls that would have impeded an assault on this position.

"Be careful of the caltrop field! Best way in is to wade through the water - it's not that bad, I promise - and then avoid the glyphs of warding on the ground. If you touch either of those, there is a good chance that you'll end up paralyzed for about a minute." The white-haired criminal laughs as the four of you cross over the final obstacles. "Trust me, after what some of these animals did to Marin last week, you don't want to be paralyzed."

Once you are all through the gauntlet, Clervec collects his payment and begins to cast a cleansing cantrip, removing the filth and stench from each of you while you finally get your first good look at the Midnighters' hideout. The area likely used to be a cistern or aqueduct, as it consists of a tall semi-circular dome. The whole base is surprisingly clean and well kept, given its location. Judging by the clean stone floor and walls, this place has actually been scrubbed of dirt and kept free of damp, slime, and the odors of the cisterns. Beyond the torches at each entrance, a large bonfire roars in the middle of a circle of folding stools at the heart of the chamber. Several crates and barrels of supplies have been set up around the space, clearly labeled and delineated by function. The chamber is bisected by what appears to have been an access tunnel that was collapsed on both ends, and whose concave exits now serve as little alcoves. In one, guarded by an even larger glyph on the floor, is a series of stacked crates and assorted goods. In the other is a large wooden cage, with what appears to be a miniature dragon or other winged lizard inside. The beast is currently sleeping, letting out little snarls as it dreams. Finally, three tents form an inner ring around the fire to the south.

"Here," Clervec says to you as he points to the westernmost tent. "Opal, why don't you wake up the great Maugrim Nameless so that he can greet his saviors."

Raz

After making sure that the others saw your signal, you stalk away from the entrance to the Midnighters' compound. The moment that you step outside of the radius of the torches, you vanish from the sight of anyone watching, but the spaces between light are where you live best. Stealing down the sewer and stopping every twenty feet, your ears prick up as you try to make out the origin of the sound that you heard. For a moment, you swear that you could have made out another faint splash coming from up ahead, but there is no follow-up, no further noise. Your footfalls are as close to silent as anything you've never heard as you take one step closer... and another... and another...

Before long, you find yourself at the tunnel's opening. Ahead of you, the passage truly widens as the mostly liquid deposit of waste from this neighborhood joins a sluggish river. There's no sign of anyone in your line of sight as your vision scans the immediate area, but you do notice a few things out of place. The first is a collapsed tunnel entrance on the far side of the river - formed of natural stone by the looks of it - and the second are the faintest outline of wet footprints on the far bank. Given the still-considerable distance, it's impossible to tell exactly how many, or what might have left them.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-06-16 at 12:03 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Kett's surprised, and thankful, that they've cleared out their camp spot. Replacing the stench of sewer with that of the smokey fire is a welcome change. Not having to deal with caltrops or glyph defenses was also nice. "So," She leans over to the Midnighter nearby, acting casual. "You guys deal in info? Got ears to the ground?" It couldn't hurt to ask while Arimart was dealing with Maugrim.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Kett

"We know a few things, aye," Fallerian replies, the half-elf tossing himself into one of the canvas seats by the fire. A few of the other Midnighters are watching you, but none are engaging in conversation yet, choosing to return to playing cards, muttering among each other, or else headed into their own tents to sleep. Fallerian, on the other hand, reaches into a nearby sack and produces a few dark glass bottles. He hands you one without asking.

"Since our stock and trade is getting people and creatures to and from Throneport, we have to keep people listening for chatter, especially around the docks and the entrances to the various zones. Nearly half of our clientele is from word of mouth, so chances are if someone has snuck into or out of the city, we've heard about it."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-06-16 at 07:57 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

"Well that works out - people's what I'm after." She nods and moves closer, dropping her voice slightly. Not to a whisper, just enough so that it's not dominating the room. "Or rather, one person. I'm looking for an elf, named Arano. He'll have been keeping his head down, but I'll pay coin for anything you've got on him that I don't already know."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Kett

Fallerian matches your motion and volume, his one good glasz eye looking into yours with an intense curiosity. "Arano... Arano... I think we heard about an elf by that name sneaking into town about six weeks back. Might be that we heard more, but I'll have the coin before I tell you anything valuable. How much are you willing to part with?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-06-16 at 08:18 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

"Nothing in life is free." She agrees, her tone a casual mix of weary acknowledgement and resignation. She palms her coin pouch with her free hand, letting the tinkling of shaking coins show she's not bluffing. "Lets say we start at 50 and can go from there - I'm after his most recent location or anyone who he's been seen speaking with."
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Kett

"50 galifars sounds good," the Midnighters' lieutenant nods with a slight smile. He glances about, noting just how close others are to where you sit. Getting up, he invites you to follow him towards one of the corners and away from any lingering ears. When you approach, he leans in a bit closer.

"The elf you're asking about, he arrived on the island via a Brelish ship, the Kason's Glory. We didn't bring him in, but we figured out that he was going to the city center. There's a theater, the House of Counted Shadows it's called. Phiarlan entertainers use it." He says the last with a knowing smile. "Our people didn't follow him long beyond that, but we did take note of someone matching his description heading into the Thrane Zone, to one of the big manor houses in Four Kings. That was about three weeks ago."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-06-16 at 09:24 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Kett mulls this over silently for a moment, tapping a finger on her leg in thought. The timeline matched up with what she knew. If he headed to this manor after that, then she had her next lead. "My thanks, for both the information," She counts out 50 gold in front of him, before adding another 15 to the pile, "and your discretion." She glances over at Arimart. Next move would depend on Maugrim, but she could try to steer Armiart towards Four Kings, assuming that wasn't his next destination.

Her gaze drifts across to Kleris, and she realises he's been paying attention to her rather than the rest of the group. Annoying, but not a significant issue. She's given away nothing but a name. Perhaps it could even work to her advantage. With a final nod to her newest 'friend', she steps away to rejoin the group proper, giving a slight knowing smile and wink to Kleris as she does so.

Spoiler
    Show

Kett's down -65gp, now updated on sheet.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2020-06-16 at 09:36 AM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Arimart registers Raz disappearance, slightly worried by it. He remembers that many shifters have acute senses and something may have caught up his attention. Maybe something dangerous? The Paladin can't help but think that things are going way too smoothly right now but, as Imra said to him many times, "always expect trouble, and if there isn't, create it".

As he enters the Midnighters' hideout, he makes some considerations about it, and those living in it. "Ugly on the outside, cleaner and well-kept in the inside... could it be the same with many of them?" He asks to himself, thinking that maybe something good will come out from this situation.

He notices that Kett strolls casually with some of the smugglers, but he is not surprised, by the look of her, this seems like a place she would know well; maybe not this exact one, but some other like this.
    As Clervic calls for Maugrim, Arimart follows the one called Opal, ready to meet his... target.
    He could be adifficult man to find, thinks the Khoravar, "But nothing can be worse than that times with Boddel Marblehand."
    The paladin touches briefly the symbol on his shield, as he prepares to greet Maugrim

20. - Top - End - #170

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Raz

After making sure that the others saw your signal, you stalk away from the entrance to the Midnighters' compound. The moment that you step outside of the radius of the torches, you vanish from the sight of anyone watching, but the spaces between light are where you live best. Stealing down the sewer and stopping every twenty feet, your ears prick up as you try to make out the origin of the sound that you heard. For a moment, you swear that you could have made out another faint splash coming from up ahead, but there is no follow-up, no further noise. Your footfalls are as close to silent as anything you've never heard as you take one step closer... and another... and another...

Before long, you find yourself at the tunnel's opening. Ahead of you, the passage truly widens as the mostly liquid deposit of waste from this neighborhood joins a sluggish river. There's no sign of anyone in your line of sight as your vision scans the immediate area, but you do notice a few things out of place. The first is a collapsed tunnel entrance on the far side of the river - formed of natural stone by the looks of it - and the second are the faintest outline of wet footprints on the far bank. Given the still-considerable distance, it's impossible to tell exactly how many, or what might have left them.
    Someone was here. He thinks. Maybe the tunnel collapsed on them? That would have been louder, probably? A secret passage through it maybe? Brother, what mess did I get myself in here? Focus on the task at hand. Check the footprints first. With a smirk, he adds in thought and try to not get killed. Would be a pitiful end here.

When he reaches the river of feces, 15ft wide and who knows how deep, he stops to check left and right for a bridge. Unfortunately, there is none. Squatting down, he tries to see whether he can identify the directions of the footprints -- whether they went north->south or south->north, and if the person appeared to come out of the water.

Regardless the outcome, he tracks the tunnel up north on his side of the river to get a better view at the collapsed tunnel.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon watches with the slightest frown when Raz disappears into the tunnels. This whole operation feels much more safe with his eyes and arrows with us. What else is in these sewers? More parties hunting Old Nameless? Ugh this whole place is a kill box. Nowhere to fly, nowhere to teleport. We better complete Kaessel’s business with the old man and return to the surface as fast as possible. I hope Mr. Raz comes back soon.

When Gryphon’s stream of mental fretting is interrupted by Clervec Casting Prestidigitation on the party to clean them up. A civilized magician leading a group of smugglers living in the sewers. Interesting.

At least now we only have to deal with the smell of humanoid, rather than humanoid covered in sewage.

Thank you Mr... Clervec isn’t it? I had no idea the Midnighter’s were led by an accomplished magician. Thank you for the cleaning.

As Gryphon steps into the Midnighter’s base of operations he takes in as much as he can and commits it to memory. The number of Midnighters present, any who stand out as seeming particularly skillful or dangerous. The name that Kett mentions, Arano.

So our Madam Kett is looking for an elf named Arano and is paying a non-insignificant amount of money to find him. Interesting. She’s clearly not the average drunken longshoreman based on her skill at combat. Better remember that name and divine his location later to bargain with.

Gryphon walks with Arimart to meet with Maugrim. I’m here to support you, Prosecutor, if anything... unexpected comes up.
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2020-06-16 at 07:11 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Kleris smiles as he is cleaned up a bit, smoothing his clothes a little more as they enter the hideout proper. He listens with interest as the human women seemed to peel off to talk to one of the Midnighters, interest peeking at the mention of House of Counted Shadows and the mention of the 4 Kings area.

He grins back as she notices him listening, giving him a wink. 'Well this just got more interesting for sure. She is definitely hiding some more things then she is saying. She clearly knows Arano in some way so why is she looking so intensely? Could be useful though, leverage is leverage.'

He turns back to the main group where Gryphon and Arimart are waiting for the soon to be arrested Maughin. Casually joining the conversation "I don't suppose the midnighters would be looking to purchase some recently acquired secondhand weapons and armor? Everyone always needs quality gear."

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Obeying Clervec's order, the halfling ducks into the tent for a minute. In the meantime, Kett rejoins the rest of the group as Kleris tries to start up his own talk about trade. "We may be interested in acquiring or moving that kind of material," says Clervec in response to Kleris' question, and judging by the way his otherworldly eyes light up he is giving the matter some actual consideration. "Give me numbers once we're done with this handoff, and we can talk price."

Quite suddenly, you hear groaning and shouting from inside the tent. It's more or less inarticulate at first, but the entire frame of the structure shakes as though someone has given it a good kick. Eventually the noise becomes words. "... do you think you're doing, soldier?! Barging into your commander's hours in the middle of the night! Disgraceful! Unless... they've launched the offensive already!" The ruckus from within the cloth and canvas divide reaches a crescendo as the flap is thrown open and a man pushes through the vestibule into the radius of the fire.

Maugrim Nameless is perhaps not as tall as you were expecting. Slightly hunched shoulders sit squarely atop a warrior's frame, all scars and corded muscle visible under a coal-dark tunic and matching trousers. The distinct outline of a dragonmark can be seen coiled around the base of his collarbone. A corona of shaggy silvered hair hangs down around his face, framing a set of sharply defined jowls covered in stubble growth. In those shadows, you see the quiet ravages of age: long lines carved in by visions lurking under pillows and dark spots that play havoc along his upper brow. Rheumy tear ducts and burst veins glower accusingly out at all of you, taking in their surroundings without ever truly seeing a thing.

"I swear, I have never seen such a lazy, undisciplined company in all my days as an officer!" Maugrim roars, pointing at the two Midnighters playing cards. "Our mission is clear. The red wolves are coming, Thaliost will fall unless we prevent it, and you're sitting here playing games?! Put it away immediately, before I reopen the question of corporal punishment. And you," he growls, finger straying to the four of you, "must be the new recruits. Front and center, so that I can have a look at you!"

Raz

Moving ahead, you find to your dismay that there is no ford at the river. Unlike the tunnels behind you, there aren't any bridges here to help get you to the other side, and so you find yourself forced to consider alternatives. Glancing at the wet prints on the far bank, you take note that they seem to have emerged from the drink and trail northward before angling sharply and descending into one of the natural passages. Although it's just about impossible to make out the nature of whatever left the prints from this angle and distance, you can tell that there's more than one something, and that they are moving together as a pack.

Trudging in the same northward direction along your side of the river, you take your time as to avoid making any noise. You make it all the way to the point where you are in line with the rounded edge of the cavern mouth before you feel the last vestiges of your spell begin to fade away. Motes of shade leech off of your skin and fur, coiling away and dissipating into the air, leaving you much less invisible than you were only moments before. While the aspect of the hunter will never be gone, you suddenly know yourself to be more exposed.

It's at that moment that you pick up a few more sounds emerging from the cave. The first is the shifting of boots on rock, followed quickly by a low undulating growl. The pack, such as it is, lies in wait beyond.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The duration on Pass Without Trace is now up - after an hour, the spell fades.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-06-17 at 10:00 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

"He's crazy. Fantastic." Kett thinks immediately and barely catches herself from saying out loud. Spending her evening chasing crazy men in sewers wasn't how she thought this was going to go. Probably broken from the war. She'd seen it a few times. Men and women who couldn't let go, breaking in different ways but always the same root source. "Didn't Thaliost 'fall'...fifty years ago? Sixty?" She whispers to Kleris. History wasn't exactly her forte. Too many dates and numbers, seemed like a waste of time trying to memorise them all.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

'... huh. Well that is unexpected. How does someone this crazy even stand trial?'

'It doesn't matter. Crimes are crimes and he should stand trial and suffer for what he did even if the court had to drag his screaming soul from the hells.'

'Kleris, this man is clearly unwell. He should be taken to healers before anything else. Though man will, the gods won't judge.

His rant finally wraps up with the crazy guy staring around himself. He leans over to whisper as well. "Ya it was quite a while ago. This guy is clearly crazy or something."

He then leans over to Arimart as he watches the insane war criminal "We could try taking him to a church or something? They might have thenhealing magic to return his mental faculties for the trial?"

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon almost reflexively snaps to attention at the old man’s order of “Front and Center”, only just catching himself in the nick of time. Over a decade of military disciple being drilled into him by Sora Maenya with the Skullcrusher Ogres had left some serious mental conditioning in the half-elf and resisting an order from an elderly military commander took conscious effort.

He’s delusional. Well, that was unexpected. Perhaps Prosecutor Kaessel had some knowledge of this. Didn’t he mention something about helping Old Nameless rather than sending him to trial?

Gryphon watches Arimart and chooses how to act based on the paladins actions.
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2020-06-17 at 10:42 AM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

As Arimart sees what kind of depressing show Maugrim makes of himself, many doubts start to take hold of his mind. After all, he was ready for a fight, or even to talk the once capable warrior into accepting his rightful fate. But this... this was something far worse than he expected.

As Kleris speaks to him, he considers the possibility. "I don't know. Maybe one Jorasco healer may be a better choice? Or maybe not. I heard about some specialists in house Medani that have a good knowledge about mental conditions, but first thing, we have to bring him back to the Tribunal..."

Arimart winks at Gryphon, salutes Maugrim, then tries to convince him to follow them: "Well... Commander... we are here by your order, to escort you during your inspection of the surroundings. Let us know when you are ready to bring us outside! Now, excuse me, but I have to report back to your soldier."
    Arimart bows and moves toward Clervec, trying to speak with him more privately.
    "If this is his condition, I'm pretty sure he will be in safer hands in the city. But I need to know one last thing. Who paid you to bring him here?"

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

As you all react to this new development of events, eventually falling into line with Arimart as the paladin addresses the elderly Deneith excoriate. Maugrim, for his part, waits with a face of stone while each of you gather yourselves up in varying degrees of effort. He meets Arimart's gaze and nods once vigorously. "Very good, lieutenant. I'm glad to see that someone has a shred of training left in them. You are in charge of mustering a division to move out; I want a full survey of the city walls before noon." He goes into a crisp salute, but not before snapping his fingers at Opal, the halfling smuggler.

"If we're to go out on maneuvers, then I will need my armaments. Go and fetch them for me, squire." The Midnighter turns to obey and gives a small sigh, ignoring the muffled snickers coming from her companions as she does so. She's not gone for long before she returns under the burden of a pile of clanking metal plates. Noting his approval with a small sound, your quarry stands still and holds his arms out at his sides as she begins to dress and arm him appropriately.

Clervec cannot help but express a little smirk at the sight, although he seems to have heard Arimart well enough. "Yes, you're probably right. The man is obviously quite deranged - imagine our surprise when we picked him up - but he's easy enough to lead around if you know how to spin a yarn." When asked about his employer though, he gives all of his attention to the judge.

"I can't tell you who hired us, for the same reason that I can't tell anyone who comes sniffing that you're planning on setting up a safe haven for smugglers and thieves down at the waterfront. The people who come to us for jobs expect anonymity as part of the deal. I wouldn't be much of a career criminal if I went around breaking their trust, now would I?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-06-17 at 05:31 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Gryphon takes in Arimart’s wink and watches the older Khorovar’s performance. So, the good Presecutor has a bit of a mischievous side to him. Whatever gets the old man to the tribunal I suppose. But I better keep in mind that there’s layers beneath the righteousness and armor.

The wizard decides to follows the paladin’s ruse and snaps to attention before the old man.

Show
    Gryphon uses the help action to give advantage to any Charisma or Insight check Arimart makes next.

30. - Top - End - #180

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Raz

Moving ahead, you find to your dismay that there is no ford at the river. Unlike the tunnels behind you, there aren't any bridges here to help get you to the other side, and so you find yourself forced to consider alternatives. Glancing at the wet prints on the far bank, you take note that they seem to have emerged from the drink and trail northward before angling sharply and descending into one of the natural passages. Although it's just about impossible to make out the nature of whatever left the prints from this angle and distance, you can tell that there's more than one something, and that they are moving together as a pack.

Trudging in the same northward direction along your side of the river, you take your time as to avoid making any noise. You make it all the way to the point where you are in line with the rounded edge of the cavern mouth before you feel the last vestiges of your spell begin to fade away. Motes of shade leech off of your skin and fur, coiling away and dissipating into the air, leaving you much less invisible than you were only moments before. While the aspect of the hunter will never be gone, you suddenly know yourself to be more exposed.

It's at that moment that you pick up a few more sounds emerging from the cave. The first is the shifting of boots on rock, followed quickly by a low undulating growl. The pack, such as it is, lies in wait beyond.

Show
    The duration on Pass Without Trace is now up - after an hour, the spell fades.
    Feeling his magic fade, he tries to stand still for a moment, and thinks. Careless. He wonders why magic doesn't just announce a moment before it fades, this is what those mages should worry about... But his thoughts are disrupted by the sound of boots on rocks. Humanoids. A group of them. Raz had experienced how groups of supposedly weaker soldiers could take down big war machines, if coordinating their greater numbers well enough. Back then, he had been one of the many weaker ones. I need to get out of here. Can't cast another spell, too loud. Reaching for a flask? They could hear the stopper. Annouce myself? No, they'd know they outnumber me. He tries to replay the steps that had led him here, well, at least the last few hundred. He tries to remember any obstacles he had faced. Then again, it was all so gray down here, and this thick stench that lay over it. At least they won't be able to smell me.

After some internal monologue, Raz decides to try his luck to return to the group unseen, and - what's more difficult - unheard.

Spoiler: Roll
    Show

Stealth - (1d20+6)[19]