New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Default Unearthed Arcana: Subclasses Revisited

The Revived, Noble Genie, and Archivist subclasses are now the Phantom, the Genie, and the Order of Scribes.

https://media.wizards.com/2020/dnd/d...sited_0512.pdf

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Re: Unearthed Arcana: Subclasses Revisited

Bottled Respite: "ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER, actually kind of nice amount of living space."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Once again they try to introduce spell damage type swapping. I think it would be ok if they prevented force and radiant damage from working.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    Once again they try to introduce spell damage type swapping. I think it would be ok if they prevented force and radiant damage from working.
    I saw that to and thought "Didn't they learn their lesson last time"
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Spoiler: 5e Subclass Contest Wins
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XIII-Rogue, Tavern Wench
    ● XV-Monk, Way of the Shrine Guardian
    ● XVI-Cleric, Madness Domain
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXI-Artificer, Battling Bowman
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Regarding other wizard subclasses, we can share that neither of the wizard subclasses we’ve presented in Unearthed Arcana recently—Onomancy and Psionics— will be moving forward in our development process, since they didn’t appeal to enough people and we can explore those subclasses’ themes in other ways.
    I didn't like either of them so I'm fine with that, I'm sure some will be disappointed however.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

honestly, I don't mind they cut the onomancer wizard, I just wish they made it a bard subclass instead. I'm hoping when they say they'll explore those themes in other ways, they mean they'll still make it possible to play a truenamer. While it's not something I would play, the concept does feel missing.

Also, while the phantom rogue has some interesting abilities, I feel like flavor-wise they should have made it more of a "phantom thief" that specializes in teleportation, invisibility and etherealness

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    I saw that to and thought "Didn't they learn their lesson last time"
    it could work you just had to put on a class that doesn't have access to every single damage type. The artificer is actually the best candidate IMO or druid limited to the basic elemental damage types.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

It's at least a bit tamer than in the past. Forceball may be a problem, but I think introducing a limit on times per long rest could fix it up to not be too overwhelming. I'm not super into "replace your entire spellbook for free on a short rest", simply because if you're in a game where targeting spellbooks is ok, then you've just removed the stakes. Sometimes that will be good (jerk DMs, though you shouldn't play with them), but if it's a potential increase to challenge everyone is ok with....

What impresses me is that they decided to go with a generic "be better at being a wizard" theme and didn't do that by making another class's niche completely redundant. So they are learning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I like the inhabitable lamp a lot more than the previous feature, a flow of smoke or whatever that would make an ally look as if they are coming out of your lamp. I found it kind of goofy.

Sad that the archivist artificer was abandoned, but I do like this scribe wizard.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

it could work you just had to put on a class that doesn't have access to every single damage type. The artificer is actually the best candidate IMO or druid limited to the basic elemental damage types.
    Agreed, it's a flipping wizard. They have access to absolutely everything in their spellbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    It's at least a bit tamer than in the past. Forceball may be a problem, but I think introducing a limit on times per long rest could fix it up to not be too overwhelming. I'm not super into "replace your entire spellbook for free on a short rest", simply because if you're in a game where targeting spellbooks is ok, then you've just removed the stakes. Sometimes that will be good (jerk DMs, though you shouldn't play with them), but if it's a potential increase to challenge everyone is ok with....

What impresses me is that they decided to go with a generic "be better at being a wizard" theme and didn't do that by making another class's niche completely redundant. So they are learning.
    If they could limit it at all it would be better. A certain amount per day, only being able to swap per the spell prepared rather than in the spellbook.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

11. - Top - End - #11

PaladinGuy

The Genie one has got to be one of my favorite ones yet. It's amazingly thematic, and while strong, is still weaker than the strongest existing subclasses, which is what they should be aiming for imo.
    The Rogue one is fun conceptually, but i weirdly feel like it has too few ribbons to really get you into the feel of being returned to life.
    The Wizard one is mostly fine, but replacing damage types needs to go (certainly from anyone other than sorcerer (who had it in another UA)).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nickl_2000 View Post
    Agreed, it's a flipping wizard. They have access to absolutely everything in their spellbook.

If they could limit it at all it would be better. A certain amount per day, only being able to swap per the spell prepared rather than in the spellbook.
    I mean, it is already limited by what's in their spellbook. I absolutely agree they could do better, but the ability to actually use it is going to depend on what's in their book.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

The wizard is meh... but I quite enjoy the Rogue and the Warlock.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

First funny thought about the genie warlock.

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for choosing Familiar Airlines. We hope the cushions are to your liking. We do not foresee any turbulence in the near future.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

FIrst impressions I like the Rogue and Warlock (Rogue should just be half the damage roudned up instead of having to roll multiple dice again though) but man not a fan of that Wizard. We really didn't need a Wizard that was even better at casting without using slots and mixed with the damage swapping it's ridiculous (I don't mind the damage swapping so much if it was the only real non ribbon at 2nd and was limited to prepared spells not anything in the book), Wizard power creep continues.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

I am digging this wizard; that come back to life but lose spells thing is a nifty tradeoff.

For the rogue, I think they should have swapped the 13th and 17th level benefits.

17. - Top - End - #17

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Luccan View Post
    I mean, it is already limited by what's in their spellbook. I absolutely agree they could do better, but the ability to actually use it is going to depend on what's in their book.
    Chromatic Orb is a 1st-level spell that gets you most of them. Magic Missile (also 1st) gets you Force. Chill touch is necrotic. Not sure the earliest Radiant, but it's definitely there later (sickening radiance).

Scribe is really cool, but OP. Maybe making it "on prep" would be enough to limit that element-changing ability, but it's still really strong.

Scroll thing is really strong too. "Twinned" Hold Person for free every day isn't bad at all.

The Manifest mind is too fragile IMO to be all that useful, though of course "free" rez is interesting and the wish part not much of a penalty by 17th level, as use downtime to completely negate the "wish cost" of it (though I play a lot of AL, in other games may be an actual penalty).

Genie seems mostly reasonable.

Phantom seems OK except that Ghost Walk seems like "Oh, they're like that every fight now" because there's no restriction on attacking while in that form. As long as something dies at least every fight (which if you're winning, they will) then you never lose the ability to be like that. That said, the "questioning" part of the tokens is useless IMO. If they can lie, then they just do. Unless you can compel the truth, not worth anything.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't like the use of proficiency mod for some abilities when something based on level might be safer, but I do appreciate that they are not based on an ability score. Especially the Genie patron here. Pick dao, get blugeoning resistance, a selection of utility spells, and pick up a giant sword as your pact weapon. It's very compatible with my ideas about pact of the blade.

19. - Top - End - #19

I like the warlock. Finally a warlock who can upcast high-level spells (via Wish and Limited Wish)! The at-will flight is a nice benefit, and the extra short rest is potentially powerful if used correctly (especially on a warlock chassis, it's almost as good as the warlock capstone). I agree with those who say it's strong but not as strong as the strongest existing subclasses, and that's a good point to aim for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am digging this wizard; that come back to life but lose spells thing is a nifty tradeoff.
    I think it depends on whether using Wish to restore your spells risks burning out Wish. I think it does, but I wish they would just spend the extra few words to say so explicitly. "The only way to restore your ability to cast one of the lost spells is through the wish spell, which can restore one spell to the book per casting, which causes the usual stress for casting Wish for something that is not spell duplication."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ah there was much rejoicing when the Elemental Metamagic was introduced in Unearthed Arcana - finally, a way for players to make a draconic sorcerer for the elements with few thematic spells. It costs sorcery points, a limited resource, and one of your metamagic choices, an extremely limited pick.

But wizards should get it as a part of a subclass, with no resource usage or limit.

And because Arcane Recovery wasn't enough, at 6th level they get a free 2nd or 3rd level spell slot per day that has to be an upcast 1st or 2nd level spell.

Who thought this was balanced? It's certainly thematically interesting, but this isn't even "okay a bit strong but it's playtest", this is yet another "why would you ever play a sorcerer" wizard subclass.

And why do all the features bother with weird little stipulations about "you can only do this if you have your spellbook nearby" or "this feature only works if you do the writing with the magical quill that you can summon at any time". Are there wizards trying to scribe scrolls while standing in an antimagic field? Is it common for wizards to have their spellbooks destroyed or to go adventuring without the spellbook with them?

21. - Top - End - #21

Not really practical but a level three PC could have an infinite supply of one a day astral bombs combo with bag of holding through the infusion and genie vessel.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Not really practical but a level three PC could have an infinite supply of one a day astral bombs combo with bag of holding through the infusion and genie vessel.
    If you have an artificer friend who can keep making you more bags of holding.
    Pronouns he/him/his
    Show

● IV-Pinball Wizard
    ● VI-Luchador Bard
    ● XVIII-Fighter, Chef
    ● XXV-Ley Line Sorcerer

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

The Phantom is creepy. Bonus psychic damage to other targets is unique and useful, and the soul trinkets are...handy? It doesn't look unbalanced at first glance, and is pretty unique.

The genie Warlock class looks great at first pass. Very unique genie-like abilities, including the ability to take a 10 minute short rest inside your lamp for the whole party at level 10. Shenanigans MUST ensue! Limited Wish is a good clutch play.

Archivist: On-the-fly damage substitution at level 2 with no limit is pretty powerful. Force-damage Burning Hands? One upcast low-level spell per day free via scroll is good, effectively a committed bonus spell slot. Spectral mind is blah, looks like a pain to track. Permanently losing spells known from resurrecting through the book is...also a pain. Easier to wait for Raise Dead unless you're in a critical situation. I'd only using that in a TPK or final boss fight. Do not like.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Phantom looks fun, and has both in-combat and utility powers built in. I wish Tokens of the Departed came earlier, since that feels like the big mechanical and thematic feature of the class. Maybe swap it with one of the 3rd-level features? Aside from that, no major complaints there.

Genie likewise seems interesting, and the vessel powers are much more thematically coherent this time around. I appreciate the different kinds of genies available for a broader thematic space of characters, and most of the features have acceptable levels of punch, while also being open to enough interpretation in their use to broaden the warlock's versatility.

Order of Scribes just seems to get a bunch of really powerful abilities for no cost, though. And most of its abilities don't really seem very on-brand for an "archivist" in the first place.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    The Phantom is creepy. Bonus psychic damage to other targets is unique and useful, and the soul trinkets are...handy? It doesn't look unbalanced at first glance, and is pretty unique.
    The unlimited soul tokens (as long as you keep killing) lead to unlimited ghostly walks, which is a potential balance issue.

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Archivist: On-the-fly damage substitution at level 2 with no limit is pretty powerful. Force-damage Burning Hands? One upcast low-level spell per day free via scroll is good, effectively a committed bonus spell slot. Spectral mind is blah, looks like a pain to track. Permanently losing spells known from resurrecting through the book is...also a pain. Easier to wait for Raise Dead unless you're in a critical situation. I'd only using that in a TPK or final boss fight. Do not like.
    On the other hand, who cares if one of your Simulacra permanently loses the ability to cast some specific spells? Give you Simulacrum a travelling spellbooks full of low-level spells, and now it can bring itself back to life.

Spectral Mind looks meh at first until you realize that it's at-will and combines well with teleportation. Flavor-wise though it's completely bizarre. You're using the ghost of your spellbook as a remote UAV???
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2020-05-12 at 02:07 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Phantom Rogue is deliciously creepy and I know a few people who will love it for that alone.

Genie Warlock, on the other hand, is by and far my favorite of this UA. It's thematic, not overly powerful, provides some party utility with its bottle, and gives me one heck of an excuse to make a genasi warlock. Use that heritage of yours! I like how its expanded spell list changes based on your genie instead of trying to be a catch-all for the four types. The addition of Wish, while thematic, may open up abuse, but that's for the DM to control. You only get Wish very late-game and only once a day, and your limited wish specifically mentions spells only and is on a 1d4 day recharge. Still, that's a bonus 6th spell every now and then for a warlock, that's pretty nice.

Scribe Wizard doesn't really tickle my interest any.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eriol View Post
    Chromatic Orb is a 1st-level spell that gets you most of them. Magic Missile (also 1st) gets you Force. Chill touch is necrotic. Not sure the earliest Radiant, but it's definitely there later (sickening radiance).
    Chill touch is a cantrip. Last I checked, you just know those, they aren't "in your spell book". Though some clarifying language could be helpful there.

Chromatic Orb is something I hadn't considered. They need to clean that section up a lot more than I originally thought.
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    First funny thought about the genie warlock.

Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for choosing Familiar Airlines. We hope the cushions are to your liking. We do not foresee any turbulence in the near future.
    Also, you can have your party enter the vessel, have your familiar invisibly drop it off somewhere, like the bed chambers of the enemy king, and then the whole party can pop out and commence with the coup. Much fun to be had!

I do wish that they would add more familiar types as they roll these new subclasses out, such as Mephits, but I am actually very happy with this new Genie patron!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zalabim View Post
    I don't like the use of proficiency mod for some abilities when something based on level might be safer, but I do appreciate that they are not based on an ability score.
    I like use of the proficiency mods in that way. Scales up slowly.

Tokens of the departed: i'd say that's a lot fiddly, needs a clean up.The Phantom appeals to me.

Genie patron: like it a lot, to include the Genie spell list. (How does wish fit into arcanum?) Does it replace the aracanum at level 17? I love the return of "limited wish" but I wonder if it needs a tweak.

• When you cast a wizard spell with a spell slot, you can temporarily replace its damage type with the damage type of another spell in your spellbook, as your spellbook magically alters the spell’s formula for this casting.
    Let's not do the Lore Wizard again, OK?

I like the 10th level feature a lot. I think that's the best bit of this arcane tradition.

One with the word:
    Too fiddly, rethink, come up with another feature.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-05-12 at 03:16 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

The Phantom just straight-up feels better than the Revived. It still feels stronger damage-wise than any other Rogue subclass, but not in as crazy of a way.

Genie Warlock is interesting, but it feels weird that only Genies have a 9th level spell added to their list. Rings are obviously the best vessel, since they're the easiest to carry - Bottled Respite is just plain cool. I'm glaring at Genie's Wrath, though - it highlights that a lot of features have been scaling with your proficiency bonus... Sanctuary Vessel might also be a bit excessive, just because of that speed-up to short rests. Limited Wish feels weird, though, because of the random recovery time - not sure I like it.

I love the idea behind the Order of Scribes, but I'm not a fan of the implementation. Living Spellbook would be a fantastic feature even if you removed that second bullet point. Master Scrivener is annoying (half the fun of making scrolls is sharing them with your party members!). And the rest of the subclass just kinda loses me - I was grooving to the idea of being an awesome scribe, not a make-an-astral-construct-and-teleport dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!