New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: The Silent Perfection (IC)

Praz Wavechaser Minotaur Hunter

Praz winced, rubbing his ears a bit to get rid of the ringing. Peering at the statue, he pause for a moment, then grunted, ”Another statue ... I don't know what these are for. If it's supposed to be good, why did it try to hurt us?

Guess we move onward ... unless we should check for more secret doors?"

Guess we have one more corridor in this section, right? Praz is ready to head onward
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    HPs: 68 AC: 17 Initiative +3, Pass Dex: 16
    Str +7 Dex +5 Con +2 Int -1 Wis +3 Cha +0 / Move 30’
    Athletics +7; Stealth +5; Nature +1; Perception +6; Stealth +6
    Equipment: greatsword (+7, 2d6S)
    Effects: n/a
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

"My father always said you could find the measure of a man in how he keeps his workspace. What does that say about this sculptor, hiding it away behind false walls and ghosts?" Marie idly looks over the tools, absentmindedly pocketing the smallest hammer and chisel.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Thogran inspects the statue, attempting to discern how long ago the work stopped; how much more exposed was the bottom half compared to the top half?

Spoiler
    Show
    History:(1d20+10)[27]
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Miko

Miko picks up the cloak to investigate it.

"This looks interesting. Would anyone like to carry it with us?"

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thogran enters and begins going over the chamber. As he does so, Marie inspects the various tools and discovers the smallest hammer and chisel used only for the finer detail work which disappear into her pocket.

Miko picks up the inky black cloak which unfurls in a wave of shadow which to all indicates a magical nature. In a slim pocket inside the cloak, the former pirate discovers two scrolls: one a generic dweomer which anyone could read to produce a random magical effect [As a one time use of a Wand of Wonder] and the other her particular mystical training instantly identifies as a Spell Scroll of Dream.

Spoiler: Thogran
    Show
    Intelligence (History) is not quite appropriate here, and the room offers little clues that spark Thogran's memory. But your passive Investigation score gives you the impression that this statue-carving process is still ongoing to this day, with fresh bare-footed humanoid tracks in the dust across the ground and the tools relatively clean.

Spoiler: Valin
    Show
    As Miko unfurls the cloak, you experience a moment of shock. A very similar garment was frequently worn by Erian Jaxmoor.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Thogran points out the footprints to the others. "The sculptor was working here rather recently. These are strange folks indeed. Dissecting that poor woman, studying orcs, even encountering some affiliated with your good friend, Rodan of Rulk, Prince Valin. Whoever is working here seems to have only limited knowledge of R'Arathis and its people."
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Valin stares at the cloak, a momentary feeling of fear washing over him. "That cloak belongs to one of my father's retainers, and a very good friend. This sculptor had better pray she is still alive." The grim look on his face lends credence to his words.

We should push on. I mean to find Jax before something happens to her, if I can."
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Praz nodded and took the lead back to the main chamber, ready to head towards the final corridor. ”I’ll check the dead end for hidden doors first, then we can head down the last corridor, yes?" After checking the hall, Praz returned to the others and nodded towards the last corridor.

A thought struck him as they headed down. ”Does anyone think it strange we are finding things we are familiar with? Strange for a place so far and remote, yes?”

Perception - (1d20+6)[15]
    Show
    Equipment: greatsword (+7, 2d6S)

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

”Somewhat? You travel enough, you meet a lot of people,” Trix says dismissively.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

Because of the advantage of having encountered an example hidden door already, Praz notices the telltale signs of another one in the south wall of the empty, dead-end chamber. Marie is quick to point out it is right next to the spot where the shadowy figures were huddled.

With the team realigned, the secret door is opened. But it reveals the room of the unfinished statue which the party has already discovered. If the first hidden door was left open, the party can gaze straight through the sculpting room and into the laboratory.

Spoiler: Thogran
    Show
    Your comprehend languages spell has ended.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

A metallic clatter echoes through the subterranean compound you occupy. Those in the first statue room witness a crabbers' cage tumble down the steps from the lighthouse above into the chamber. It is filled with translucent, alien crustaceans, writhing, and stinking of the sea. A stoppered, metal jug bounces down the steps and comes to rest behind the cage.

From the curving, narrow staircase leading back to the first floor of the lighthouse, a steady monotone voice intones: "More Easterlings? Of course you are; the ratfolk would not dare...

"Take the sustenance and secure yourself in the gaol with the rest. I will deal with you on the morrow after I have collected my thoughts. Perhaps you will be more decorous than your previous ilk."
    There is a splash, and the constant low rumble of the whirlpool from the chamber above ends. Quiet falls upon the party.
    Last edited by LurkytheDwarf; 2020-07-31 at 12:34 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Miko

Hoping the others follow her, Miko puts the cloak and the scrolls in her bag, and then sets out to explore the stairs to see if she can reach the owner of the voice that just called down, her shield in one hand and a brass belaying pin in her other.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Trix shouts in the direction of the voice. ”And just who in the Nine Hells are you!?” She runs up the stairs, axe drawn.

Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Valin follows the others up the steps, but fears it is a waste of resources. The confident voice would not have given itself away so easily if he wasn't either prepared for a fight or prepared to escape. But, if it is to be a fight, Valin would not leave his companions to face it alone.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”

Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jumping over the writhing crab trap and metal flagon, Miko and Trix rushed up the steps to the first level of the lighthouse. Valin followed but with a bit more caution, though perhaps it nagged at him the voice's words, "... in the gaol with the rest." And his thoughts turned to the cloak they had found.

The steep, spiraling stairwell ends in a barrier. The whirlpool in the basin above had ceased, and suspended above Miko and Trix's heads was the same mirror-like liquid blocking the exit. In its reflection, they see their faces, black craters where their eyes should be.
    Last edited by LurkytheDwarf; 2020-06-08 at 11:16 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Trix glares at the mirroring liquid, before taking out the eyeballs she had collected earlier and tries to feed them into the surface.

Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trix pushes the eyes up into the mirrored liquid. Same as before the ripple they create begins to swirl until the whole of the basin is a whirlpool. It exposes the first floor of the lighthouse which is the same as when the party left it, except halfway up the stairs to the second level stands a... man?

The figure is big, easily as tall as the minotaur Praz. Clean-shaven with close-cropped hair, Trix identifies him as the subject of the second, unfinished statue. He wears a red robe with the silver symbol of the ziggurat and four-pointed star in the circle. From head-to-toe, he is soaking wet.

He muses with a hint of disappointment, "Impressive to be both more clever than the last Easterlings..." He turns and looks at Trix and as he does he exposes a graphic sight: a black and ruinous scar runs the length of his head, years and years old and poorly healed; it looks like he took a battleaxe to the skull, a wound which should have killed any mortal man. "And yet still be so very dumb."

The twelve corpses in the alcoves open their eyes and their dry, unyielding gaze falls on Trix.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Thogran keeps up with the party and braces for whatever might come next. This whole situation was slowly eroding his normally stoice demeanor, growing more intense and more gruesome with each new revelation, but he was sent here on a mission. He wouldn't fail.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Marie stares up the stairs, not quite sure what's happening. She decides to follow the others' lead here but keeps the sun blade on and prepares herself for this situation to go awry.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

"Funny, I'm not the one with damage to my skull," Trix scoffs. She shouts an incantation as she charges toward the humanoid, doing her best to get in the path of him and his escape. The rest of the party would probably notice that as her footsteps approach the man, they go silent.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move next to the man, casting Silence, centered on him.

Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trix flings her spell and bounds to the base of the stairs confronting the red-robed man. The barbarian chieftain can smell the stink of fresh seawater, the same as the translucent crabs in the cage which had come tumbling down the stairs into the statue room. His lips move in noiseless speech and up this close something strikes Trix as truly unnatural about his movements. Without sound to his words he pauses and his face sinks to expressionlessness.

He turns on Trix and raises huge hands against her.

Spoiler: Initative
    Show
    So if everyone remembers, we are using Speed Factor Initiative (DMG pg 270), and don't forget the initiative modifier table on 271. Everyone is going to state what they plan to do for the turn, roll attacks/damage (should they want to attempt such) and roll initiative, once that's done I'll narrate the results and we'll start again the next turn. Because I don't want this to drag out for three days, I'm going to respond with whoever has posted by late tonight.

INITIATIVE:(1d20-1)[12]

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

Thogran backs up away from the dome of silence, and begins casting his own spell. He fishes a small clay hand from his component pouch as he begins incanting, causing dirt and dust to coalesce into a much larger hand adjacent to their adversary to cut off its retreat up the stairway. The hand clenches into a fist once before unclenching and swiping at the stranger, hoping to grab him and hold him still.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thogran backs up so he doesn't run into problems with Silence.

Initiative: (1d20+1)[11]
    Casting Maximilian's Earthen Grasp
    • Components: VSM
    • Range: 30 ft.
    • Summons a Medium-sized hand which occupies a 5 foot square within range
    • The hand reaches for a target you can see, which must pass a DC 15 Strength Save or be Restrained and take (2d6)[7] Bludgeoning Damage
    • To end the restrained condition, the target must use its Action to pass a DC 15 Strength Check
    • As an action, I can cause the hand to crush a restrained target, or assign it a different creature within range to restrain.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Miko

Miko springs from the pool into the open area above, moving backwards to allow others to exit. She holds her belaying pin and shoots two eldritch blasts at the man on the stairs, then continues to back away form the zombies in case they start to move.

Show

Initiative (1d20+2)[11]

Eldritch Blast: (1d20+9)[27] damage (1d10+5)[10]

Second blast: (1d20+9)[22] damage (1d10+5)[12]

Using lance of lethargy to reduce his speed by 10'.

If he moves forward with his turn, then add repelling blast to move him back 10 or 20' into the area of silence.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-06-11 at 08:19 AM.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Hearing a shout and charging footsteps snaps Marie out of her confusion. She darts up the stairs, drawing a dagger in her offhand as she does. Marie briefly takes stock of the situation before moving opposite of Trix and attacking.

Spoiler
    Show
    I've never used Speed Factor so I may have messed this up, dexterity modifier+rakish audacity+using a finesse weapon
    (1d20+10)[24]
    (1d20+10)[23] Sun blade
    (1d8+7)[14] radiant damage if the above hits
    (1d20+8)[13] dagger
    (1d4)[2] dagger damage
    (4d6)[15] Sneak attack, if applicable

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Valin growls low in his throat when he sees the scarred figure. He sprints across the room to face him, "You will pay for what you've done. That woman below didn't deserve her fate, and neither does Jax!"

He stops just out of reach and calls upon the power of his oath, hoping to cower the man before engaging in battle.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Initiative (w/ Advantage): (1d20+1)[17], (1d20+1)[13]

Move to within 10' and use Channel Divinity: Conquering Presence to force him to Will save (DC 16) or be frightened for 1 minute. If he fails, moveent is reduced to zero due to Aura of Conquest and he will take
    4 Psychic damage at the beginning of his turn. Save again each round.)

Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Trix, being unable to speak a spell, simply swings her axe at the man.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure how AoO work with this, but if he provokes one, Trix will grapple him.

Axe (Magical, Silver):
    (1d20+9)[28]
    (1d8+6)[11]

(1d20+9)[25]
    (1d8+6)[7]

Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

A flurry of activity follows Trix's decisive action.

Fast as lightning Marie leaps to action, springing from the tunnel in the basin and bounding over to the red-robed man. Her Sun Blades cleaves through robe and digs into the strangely resilient flesh but her dagger, though striking true, harmlessly skitters off his skin. Trix follows up with a round of battleaxe strikes that leave long gashes in his exposed arms. Up close, Trix and Marie can tell that he does not bleed.

Valin follows after and though Trix's silence spell does rob his declaration of justice of its impact, there is no doubting the menacing atmosphere which he exudes. Despite the prince focusing his malice elsewhere, even those of the party familiar with him felt an instant of shiver. Of their foe, beside a sideways glance, it brought no change to his expressionless face.

The huge hands in front of Trix balled into fists and came down upon her.

Spoiler: Trix
    Show
    (1d20+7)[22] for (2d8+4)[8] magical blundgeoning damage.
    (1d20+7)[12] for (2d8+4)[14] magical blundgeoning damage.

For each hit, make a Constitution save (DC 10 or half the damage whichever is higher) to maintain Concentration. You are with Valin's +5 save aura

Miko Daitan emerges and recognizes that the area just above the basin is within the magical silence. She jumps back to the half of the round chamber away from the stairs up, where she can give voice to her magic. Unfortunately, the remaining corpses in the alcoves are scattered across the whole of the room and not easy to avoid. Still, she casts two eldritch blasts which strike the enemy, searing black marks into his red robes.

Thogran emerges from the tunnel only long enough to cast his magic and retreats back inside for cover. The earthen hand forms behind their foe and attempts to grab him.

Spoiler: NPC Saving Throw
    Show
    Magic Resistance
    (1d20+4)[20]
    (1d20+4)[5]

Of the twelve corpses in the alcoves surrounding the chamber, four lurch forward. Though their movements are jerky and uneven, three cross the distance to the mass melee around the stairs to the second level of the lighthouse. Two close on Marie and the third approaches Valin, their rotting fists and dreadful glares falling upon both. A fourth, the only one on the far side of the chamber to animate, shambles over to Miko striking out for her as well.

Spoiler: Marie
    Show
    Corpse #1
    (1d20+5)[17] for (2d6+3)[13] bludgeoning damage plus (3d6)[11] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save.

Also, make a DC 11 Wisdom save against a fear effect.

Corpse #2
    (1d20+5)[16] for (2d6+3)[6] bludgeoning damamge plus (3d6)[12] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save.

On all the saves you benefit from Valin's +5 save bonus.

Spoiler: Valin
    Show
    (1d20+5)[19] for (2d6+3)[10] bludgeoning damage plus (3d6)[12] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save.

Spoiler: Miko
    Show
    Roll an Intelligence (Arcana) check.

(1d20+5)[14] for (2d6+3)[11] bludgeoning damage plus (3d6)[9] necrotic damage. If hit make a DC 12 Constitution save.

You are outside Valin's Aura of Protection radius.

Spoiler: Everybody
    Show
    I'm going to see what kind of hits land and who makes what saving throws, then I'll say what conditions any may be facing and set up the next round. Then everyone can dictate their actions and roll.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Praz followed the others back to the room they first entered, but the portal was gone! In a flash of insight, Trix pulled out the extra eyes she was carrying and managed to open the gate once more. But before Oraz could react to the situation or the strange figure lurking on the stairs, his companions leapt into combat.

The minotaur hesitated, uncertain what was going on. But when the large man shrugged off several blows without flinching, and the dead began to attack the others, Praz clenched his teeth and moved to engage, his doubts pushed aside. Marie was as being attacked by two foes, so Praz moved forward with his giant blade and attacked.

Advantage on initiative: (2d20)[16][17](33)+1=18. Move to help Marie, attack one of the chumps on her.
    Attack 1 - (1d20+7)[20], Dam - (2d6+4)[11], Attack 2 - (1d20+7)[22], Dam - (2d6+4)[11]. Add (1d8)[1] if Praz strikes a target at less than full hp.

Show
    Equipment: greatsword (+7, 2d6+4S)
    Last edited by Starbin; 2020-06-12 at 03:42 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: Miko's check and save
    Show

Arcana: (1d20+3)[5]

Wisdom Save: (1d20+4)[13]

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

Trix grins as the withered man shrugs off the weapon blows. She silently shouts at the man and swings again.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[18]

Attack: (1d20+9)[11]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[11]

Attack: (1d20+9)[17]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[11]

Show