New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Silent Perfection (IC)

Trix gives the cauldron pot contents a look and smell, but decides that nothing losing any clear danger lies up here, and so heads down to regroup with the others, coming into view as she steps back into the room with Thorgan.

”Well, nothing that appears to want us dead up there, unless there are well hidden guards that only activate on seeing intruders.” Which was... certainly possible. “From the next floor, you can actually see a town in the distance, and it appears inhabited. Not sure how they will receive travelers, but this place isn’t abandoned of life, at least. There are also more of those fire runes; I’m guessing they have something to do with keeping the fire going. The only floor after that appears to be someone’s living space. Maybe the old man’s?”
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Valin bends over with his hands on his knees, panting and taking stock of his injuries. He does the best he can to stop the bleeding, calling on the strength of his Oath to heal the worst of the wounds.
    Spoiler: Action:
    Show
    Lay on Hands for 30 hp
    He looks up the stairs, but trusts Marie and Thogran to discern the red-robed mans nature. Instead, he turns to go into the smoke, hoping to salvage Jax body for burial, at the least. "He spoke of dungeons, perhaps there are some alive down there. We need to release them, if we can, before the smoke finishes them.
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Miko

Valin's move to go back downstairs into the smoke by himself surprises Miko. She tries to stop him so others can help or talk him out of it. She yells at him, loud enough for those upstairs to hear her, too.

"Valin, no. You can't fight fire and smoke. We've explored every path down there. There were no survivors. We need you with us if we are going to finish this mission."

Then she runs after him, either to stop him or help.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Praz Wavechaser Minotaur Hunter

Praz grunted at the twin blows and responded with another sweep of his blade that beheaded the dead creature. For a moment, there was naught but the labored breathing of his companions. Glancing at the staring, but still, bodies Praz readied his blade. To Valin and Mike, he said ”We should help our friends above, yes?" The minotaur made to move upstairs, calling out loudly, ”Trixie! Marie! Thogran! We’re coming!”

He paused at Valin’s words, frowning. While he didn’t think they had searched everything like Miko said, he still considered her point valid. How would they fight fire and smoke? Shaking his head, he nodded towards the stairs. “Let’s get our friends first ... then I will go with you below. Worry not, Mimi - I have a trick uNader my beard.”. He grinned and prepared to head upstairs.

Ouch, those things messed Praz up! To be clear, we never searched the tunnel, right? Well, Praz wants to make certain his friends are all right. But once they check that box, I almost forgot - he has a cube of force. Go-go Gadget smoke block!
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    HPs: 19/68 AC: 17 Initiative +3, Pass Dex: 16
    Str +7 Dex +5 Con +2 Int -1 Wis +3 Cha +0 / Move 30’
    Athletics +7; Stealth +5; Nature +1; Perception +6; Stealth +6
    Equipment: greatsword (+7, 2d6+4S)
    Effects: Hunter’s Mark (add 1d6 damage to target; concentration up to 1hr)
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Thogran reports his findings to anyone who cares to listen. "Turns out he's not really a man. Not like you or I. An advanced type of flesh-golem using some sort of alchemical fluid to function... I've rendered it completely inert, it won't be bothering anyone any time soon. I can't imagine we would get anywhere questioning it, given its reckless displays."

As others prepare to search the final areas of the dungeon, Thogran follows close behind, ready with the coil of rope at his side in case they need to make a quick exit.
    Quote Originally Posted by fibericon View Post
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Trix
    Show
    Trix has encountered plenty of weird foods on her travels, so she is fairly confident what's in the cauldron is not food. It could be a potion being brewed. In addition to strange pieces of bark, there appears to be some kind of spined jellyfish floating in the milky liquid.

Valin, Praz, Miko, and Thogran form up together and descend the narrow staircase in the center of the swirling basin. Activating his magic cube, the minotaur creates an energy field around the whole group. It drives out the smoke and keeps their air clean.

At the bottom of the steps, the first chamber's upper half surges with smoke pouring in from the southern corridor to the laboratory. At their feet, the metal cage which first tumbled into the room when the red-robed man intended to trap them is now filled with the remains of the translucent crabs, which have been roasted to a powder blue color. The walls and floor and ceiling of the room are covered in a solid layer of black scorching. The smoke ripples with movement, and though with the energy field the party cannot smell or feel the foul wind, each hear the foreign mutterings it carries... the anger in the collective tone tempered this time with despair. Still, through the haze atop statue's raised hand (the only piece of it which has not been seared), the ghostly flame shines stronger than before.

A thick heat wafts into the room from the laboratory; you can hear the fire raging there. With the Praz's energy field blocking the way upward, the smoke is just now beginning to seep down the sloping northern passage. From that tunnel, there comes a repeated clanging, and a gravelly voice echoes with cries for help!

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Miko

Huddling with Valin, Thogran and Praz, Miko continues into the smoke-filled tunnels. On hearing the clanging and voice from the northern tunnel, she gets excited.

"Valin, you were right! There is still someone down here. Let's go quickly before this cube runs out of time."

She starts down the hall, keeping close to Praz and his magic box.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-06-25 at 07:36 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

The four of you continue under the energy shield of Praz's magic cube, making haste as every passing minute expends its charge. You descend for more than a hundred feet on a gentle slope, the clanging grows louder and the voice begins to notice your approach, "Yes! Down here! Beware the man-monster if'n you've not killed it yet!"

The corridor empties into a dark and musty chamber. It is split into a wide hall running the length of three cells. The bars are spaced slightly wider than you would normally see in a jailhouse in R'Arathis; with some contortions, a slender person might even be capable of squeezing through them. The two far cells are empty, but the nearest holds two figures amongst the detritus of so many translucent crab shells. They wear dirty rags and are hunched and gray-skinned: Orcs.

The one calling out stands awkward at the bars, banging them with a metal jug. One of his legs appears to have been horribly mangled. He continues as the first party member enters the room, "Thank the gods! Free us, free us! We..." The orc looks over at his companion who sits unresponsive against the wall, a vicious dent mars the line of his scalp. "Free me at least! I have much information to trade, seen much—"

The orc trails off as Prince Valin enters the room. He goes quiet and his hopeful expression slides down off his face. He turns to his companion and speaks to him in Orcish, the tone carrying a fatalistic sarcasm. The other just stares off into the middle distance and drools.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Miko

Miko looks at the orcs with interest. She is not sure about helping orcs, and normally she probably wouldn't, but if they made it to this land they must be more than typical orcs. Besides, maybe not even an orc deserves to die in this smoke in this cursed place.

"We're here to help you. But first, and quickly, how did you get here and what happened to your friend?"

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

"Hm, guess they went to investigate something else. Seems it's just us up here, Marie." Trix heads back up to the top room, looking around more. Rather curious about the cauldron and not brave enough to taste it herself, Trix looks around for a book or a recipe or something that appears to correlate to the contents.

Show

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Valin looks around for keys. Even orcs don't deserve to die in a conflagration like this. "Where are the keys, orc? And are there any others alive? A woman, perhaps?
    With short, red hair?"
    “It's like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All the time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.”
    ― Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

Spoiler: personality test results
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

Miko, Praz, Thogran, and Valin

The orc at the bars narrows his beady eyes in suspicion at the Prince. "The man-monster in the red robes has the keys. No others survived but the Arsonist woman with the freak arm. She starved herself for weeks to slip through the bars. I don't think she made it out."

He goes on to answer Miko's question, but still watches Valin warily. "The man-monster dashed his head against a wall and mangled my leg. We were the lucky ones. The undead claimed the rest of our squad..." The orc takes stock of the smoke beginning to accumulate behind Praz's energy field blocking the hallway up. His tone shifts, "I will speak no more until freed of this cursed place. Along with promises from Prince Orc-Slayer my life will be spared. Only then will I tell all I know. And I know much."

Spoiler: Valin
    Show
    From the way the orc talks and the phrases he uses and what he calls you, you're virtually certain that these two are orcish conscripts of the armies of Rulk.

Trix and Marie

Though Trix finds no papers or journals or any writings up here, you do deduce that all these herbs and roots could not possibly come just from this small, rocky island; the variety is too great. Most must be from the mainland of the western continent. You also find three empty metal vials beside a funnel and brick of sealing wax—ostensibly for when the potion reducing in the cauldron has been completed. Also, in a drawer, you discover a heavy ring from which hangs four large keys—three are plain affairs, but the last is far stranger and more ancient.
    Last edited by LurkytheDwarf; 2020-06-27 at 05:25 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Miko

Knowing that time is of the essence, Miko looks at the orc, "Unless you betray us, your life is spared. You can join us if you want, while we get revenge for you and others on whoever commands the man in the red robe. Or leave on your own once we're on the surface. You will be free to choose. Give me your hand." She reaches into the bars and offers her hand to the orc.

She turns to Valin and Prax, "Leave the other orc and get out. Quickly. Every minute counts. I'll come back for him if I can."

She grabs the orc's hand and they both disappear.

Show
    She casts dimension door, taking herself and the orc up to the top of the stairs between the 2nd and 3rd floors above.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-06-27 at 05:37 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

”Ooh, mine,” Trix says, grabbing the keys. “Think these will be useful.”

Hm, she did wonder what the potion was for.

(Is Marie still with us?)

Show

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Praz was silent as the others spoke and asked questions. Given the reputation orcs had, he feared the worst from his companions. He gave a huge smile at Miko’s actions and offer. He waved her on as he considered the bars. ”You go, friend Miko. We’ll make sure this one is okay ... and maybe we can help him, too.”

He turned his attention back to the bars, wondering if it would be better to try and disable the lock or bend the bars. [COLOR="#B22222"]“Friend Valin, can you lend me a hand?”[/COLOR

I’m guessing picking the lock would take longer, so thinking Str check might be the way to go ... maybe w/advantage if Valin can lend a hand?)
    Str check - (2d20)[19][8](27)+7=26

Show
    Last edited by Starbin; 2020-06-29 at 02:20 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thogran, Praz, and Valin

The alert orc gave a brief shrug to his brain-damaged companion and disappeared with Miko. When he did, the remaining orc emits a low groan; the only sign of intelligence to come from him. At Praz's words, "And maybe we can help him," the groaning ceases.

Working together, the minotaur and half-elf manage to bend the already widely-spaced bars enough for Valin at least to slip through and pull out the addled orc... should the prince be so inclined.

The smoke continues to build behind the energy field of Praz's magic cube. Choking to death upon it appears to be the real danger as, beyond the papers and alchemical supplies in the laboratory, there is virtually no fuel in the rest of the subterranean level for the fire to spread.

Trix, Marie, and Miko

Trix takes up the keyring. Both she and Marie hear a conversation begin between Miko and an unfamiliar, gravelly voice from the runic-pillar room below them.

The orc with Miko moves shakily, his mangled leg forcing him to hobble down the stairs. "Months I have been here. The Red-Robe alone is keeper of the lighthouse. Nothing moves here save him, the undead which guard it, and the ghosts which haunt it."

He comes into view of the second-floor chamber, the vast and faded mosaics, and the body of the fallen flesh golem in the red-robes. The orc crows, "Good! Gooooood... But if you've slain the man-monster up here, what did you kill with the explosions in the dungeon?"
    Last edited by LurkytheDwarf; 2020-06-29 at 09:41 PM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Miko

Miko looks a little confused by the orc's question, but points at the body of the red-robed golem.

"We didn't make any explosions. We were all up here fighting him and the corpses, and I think the explosions happened below about the time we killed him. Any idea why that would happen? None of us are quite sure what's going on here or why we were even called to come here. Wait, did you say ghosts?"

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

"Might be talking about those weird sounds we have been hearing and feeling as we explored," Trix says as she descends the stairs. "Think the Red-Robe guy was making that his living quarters. Mostly junk, though Thorgan might find the potion brewing up there interesting"

Show

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

Miko and Trix

The orc hobbles across the second-floor. "Yes, the stinking air and mutterings..." He pauses and looks at Trix, "Lotta half-elves," then continues speaking as he gives the prone form of the red-robed golem a wide birth. "Sometimes, shadow people would come and stare through the bars when they thought we're sleeping. Jumping up and yelled at them once... just once. Thought they'd killed my soul when they ran past me and disappeared. From then on, I pretended not to see them."

The mangled orc spits on the golem as he passes and makes the top of the stairs to the first level. He leans heavily on the wall to aid his movement. " 'Called here?' We weren't called here. The General's lantern led us here—" His beady eyes go wide as he peers into the entry chamber. He claws his way back into the mosaic room. "They're still there! You didn't destroy them all? They'll come alive for no reason and kill us! Especially if you pluck out their eyes!"

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Trix’s eyes narrow at the half-elf comment, but lets it pass.

”Those ***** are still alive?” Trix says, grabbing her axe and heading to the stairs.

Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Miko

Miko is trying to take in everything he orc is saying.

"Well, Trix figured out a way to get the eyes without them coming back to life. What was the General's lantern?"

Before she gets a response, though, she sees Trix start to head down the stairs by herself. "Wait! I'll help. Let me blast them and you guard the stairs so they don't get up to me."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Thogran watches as the smoke closes in and his sense of urgency is increasing with each passing moment. "Grab 'im or leave him, and let's get out of here before the smoke kills us all!"
    This seems like a really cool concept, so I feel like you're going to get a lot of applications. Best of luck sorting through them all. That said, I'm going to do my part to make your job that much harder by adding one to the stack.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Praz knew the Prince had issues with orcs, but his honor seemed to overcome any reluctance he might have to give aid to a helpless non-combatant. Smiling in encouragement, they managed to help the hapless orc get out of the cell. Once the man was out, he lifted him over one shoulder while holding the cube with his other hand.

He glanced around the levels as they started to make their way back, but frowned at Thogran’s comment. ”Uh, friend dwarf, we are protected by this cube. It will keep the smoke out for now. I think the lab will burn for a bit, then due out, but the smoke may stay for a bit. It would probably be better to go down than up, but perhaps we can go back through the circle of magic?”

Hate to not someone else’s actions, but figure we should press on until Valin is back in action
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Dwarf in the Playground

Praz, Thogran, and Valin

With the husks of translucent crabs crunching underfoot, the party retrieves the addled orc and begin their ascent up the ramp. The smoke is especially thick. By the time they reach the first statue's room, virtually nothing can be seen beyond the smoke at the edge of Praz's energy field... except the ghostly flame which shines from the center of the room. As it did in R'Arathis across the sea, the subtle call beckons them. It never really stopped at all.

The moment of reverie is broken as the chamber thrums with the angry mutterings of a dozen voices but so dense is the gas-filled chamber they cannot perceive the effects of the foul wind. A notion comes to the wizard, prince, and minotaur: this room should not have filled this quickly with the opening up the stairs still allowing the smoke to escape into the lighthouse above.

Working their way along the wall, the party finds the narrow, winding staircase up to the pool basin opening above. It is impossible to see forward until at last, the smoke is pushed around the magic cube's barrier exposing the mirrored surface of the liquid suspended above them. The whirlpool has ceased and the way is shut. Only their eyeless faces look down upon them.

Miko and Trix

The orc hugs the mosaic wall limping away from the stairs slowly. There is undisguised fear on his face. Trix descends with Miko close behind. Halfway down the steps they immediately notice the lack of smoke. There should be much more circling the ceiling of the first-floor chamber of the lighthouse.

The reason is obvious: besides the scattered dust piles and loose eyeballs rolling around the floor, one of the remaining corpses has left its alcove and advanced upon the center basin and hovers over it. The once swirling, mirror-like liquid which exposed the pathway to the dungeon has stopped, leaving the pool flat and still. The corpse looks over at Trix. The remaining four corpses in their alcoves on the far side of the room snap their gaze upon the barbarian chieftain and former pirate as well. None of them move.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

”Miko, stay close, let’s focus on one at a time in case they fight back,” Trix says, moving down to the floating corpse and swinging her axe at it. “We can take their eyes after they’re truly dead.”
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+9)[17]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[8]

Attack: (1d20+9)[18]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[9]

Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Miko

Miko runs after Trix as she heads down the stairs. She's not sure if she should leave the orc alone right now but hopes that since she just saved it from the fire, the orc won't do anything against us.

"Wait here while we take care of the corpses," she says to him as she leaves.

When she sees the corpse out of its alcove and standing over the pool, she knows she needs to remove it so Thogran, Praz, and Valin can return. Hoping this doesn't wake the other corpses all at once, she stays on the stairs and pulls energy from herself and blasts it at the free corpse.

"Trix, make sure they don't get up to me and I'll try to keep them off of you."

Show
    Eldritch Blast on the corpse, both blasts with Repelling Blast (move 10') and the first to hit with Lance of Lethargy (-10' speed next turn).

1st Attack: (1d20+9)[22] Damage (1d10+5)[9]

2nd Attack: (1d20+9)[14] Damage (1d10+5)[10]

Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-07-05 at 04:27 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Thogran looks up at the closed portal and his mind begins to race with anxiety. If he had been nervous before about the smoke closing in around the box, now he was almost in a panicked state. The portal was only accessable from the other side, as far as he knew. Killing the keeper-thing probably made opening the portal more difficult as well... Fortunately, he rarely went anywhere without preparing a spell which would be ideal for getting them out of here, provided he could reach the ceiling. "I can make a hole in the ceiling, unless either of you two have an idea for reactivating the portal from this side. Just need enough of a boost to reach the stonework."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trix and Miko

Working together, Trix darts down the stairs and lays into the corpse, unmoving but watchful. She cleaves deep cuts into it with her enchanted axe unhindered by its iron-like hide. Miko follows behind. The former pirate remains high enough on the steps to strike it with her eldritch blast, catapulting it across the chamber to collide with a wall near the open entryway.

The corpse, singed and ruined but still animate, advances upon Trix but the lingering lassitude of Miko's magic hinders it from reaching her. In an uncharacteristic display of intelligence, the mobile corpse realizes this and sets itself into a wary, defensive stance.

The remaining corpses in the alcoves merely look on impassively.

Spoiler: Everybody
    Show
    Attacks rolls against the active corpse have disadvantage.

Also, I'm going to need initiative rolls with everybody's actions until the current situation is resolved.

Corpses' Initiative: (1d20-1)[9]

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Miko

Miko stays on the stairs and again blasts the corpse, "This thing should have died by now.," she says to Trix.

If they kill the corpse this round, she turns to Trix and asks her to finish the others.

"Perhaps you could rip their heads off and collect their eyes like you did before. That didn't wake them up, and otherwise we'll have to keep dealing with them."

Show
    Initiative (1d20+2)[17]

Eldritch Blast on the corpse, both blasts with Repelling Blast (move 10') and the first to hit with Lance of Lethargy (-10' speed next turn).

1st Attack: (1d20+9)[20] Damage (1d10+5)[15]

2nd Attack: (1d20+9)[29] Damage (1d10+5)[10]

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Trix nods, slicing her axe into the undead.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+3)[23]
    Attack: (1d20+9)[11] (1d20+9)[27]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[14]

Attack: (1d20+9)[12] (1d20+9)[27]
    Damage: (1d8+6)[14]

Show