New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 2- Total War Help Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    No doubt, dinosaur people are pretty durn sweet. Trying Lord Harkon in the vampire coast is a pain, those lizards just shred all you first few tiers of melee units and leave your ranged running for it. Better to take to the seas and go raiding.
    If you're Vamp Coasting it you go cheap on the main line and shred then with guns, which rip through lizards. The goal is to get to a Colossus Doomstack
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    4) Most of the HE regiments of renown are from queen and crone. These are instantly recruitable max level upgraded versions of basic troops. Fun toys but not make or break.
    Regiments of Renown are more useful sitting there ready to recruit so that if you get surprised and need an army somewhere right now you can spit out a lord with a stack of something with no lead time.

No amount of being slightly better in battle beats zero turn recruitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    If you're Vamp Coasting it you go cheap on the main line and shred then with guns, which rip through lizards. The goal is to get to a Colossus Doomstack
    Yeah, though once you get tiered up Depth Guard are actually one of the better frontliners. So you don't have to just go Necrofex Colossus. (Though it's so cheesy even the AI loves it)
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2020-05-29 at 06:22 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Yeah, though once you get tiered up Depth Guard are actually one of the better frontliners. So you don't have to just go Necrofex Colossus. (Though it's so cheesy even the AI loves it)
    It's like not running a mammoth Doomstack as Norsca. Sure you could do something else, but why would you?:
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

In that case yeah, Skaven ranged is all about mad science guns and catapults, the slinger units need not apply.
    I would add an exception for when you're playing as Snikch - With all his buffs, the slingers and ninja-star thrower's are about as fast as light cavalry, pack a solid punch in melee or ranged, and th higher tier ones are both hidden and slow nearby enemy units. They're almost impossible to catch, and I spent countless battles just letting the enemy tire itself out, then ganging up on them one by one with their massive speed. I kept maybe 4 triads and Snikch for real melee punch, a catapult to get the AI to close, and basically everything else was the slingers/star throwers.

It really ONLY works with Snikch though. Even other Eshin lords don't make them good enough to use.

Go Tigers!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaFiori View Post
    I would add an exception for when you're playing as Snikch - With all his buffs, the slingers and ninja-star thrower's are about as fast as light cavalry, pack a solid punch in melee or ranged, and th higher tier ones are both hidden and slow nearby enemy units. They're almost impossible to catch, and I spent countless battles just letting the enemy tire itself out, then ganging up on them one by one with their massive speed. I kept maybe 4 triads and Snikch for real melee punch, a catapult to get the AI to close, and basically everything else was the slingers/star throwers.

It really ONLY works with Snikch though. Even other Eshin lords don't make them good enough to use.
    I actually don't mind Night Runners. They are great when in the Garrison for royally messing with the enemy, but ya, in the army Gunners are just too damn good.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Almost done with the Queek campaign- the horrible autocomplete and wimpy garrisons were frustrating, but Skaven are fun.

7. - Top - End - #37

DwarfClericGuy

Spoke too soon- is the final fight bugged? When I finished with Tyrion, the different armies came at me one at a time- so it wasn't too hard. With Queek I started at the bottom of the hill, but the lizards and DE are already on the map moving toward me.

8. - Top - End - #38

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Sloanzilla View Post
    Almost done with the Queek campaign- the horrible autocomplete and wimpy garrisons were frustrating, but Skaven are fun.
    As Skaven you should always build the wall/garrison building, not because it makes your garrisons good, but because it gives you the Warp Bomb ability.

Get a bunch of enemies clustered up on a Menace Below clanrats unit, then pop them when they hit 50% and wipe out 2-3 enemy units that were clustered on them.

9. - Top - End - #39

DwarfClericGuy

Oh, I'm a warp bombing master! But my point is that you don't ever get a free pass with Skaven. You earn your turf.

10. - Top - End - #40

DwarfClericGuy

OK I watched two other videos and in both of them Queek gets to deal with the elves before the lizards and DE appear. I'm getting everyone at once with no heal buff from the vortex either.

11. - Top - End - #41

DwarfClericGuy

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/co...ttle_as_queek/

hah, it's a bug.

I got close! Took out the elves, rival skaven and lizards- but the DE then came in and finished me.

12. - Top - End - #42

DwarfClericGuy

There's also a pretty major bug right now where weapon damage modifiers don't work, at all. https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...strength-buffs

You've probably also noticed that gambling for winds is broken, it always returns the same value. There's a bunch of other bugs too but those seem to be the biggest.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Cardew View Post
    There's also a pretty major bug right now where weapon damage modifiers don't work, at all. https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...strength-buffs

You've probably also noticed that gambling for winds is broken, it always returns the same value. There's a bunch of other bugs too but those seem to be the biggest.
    Well... that's a non minor issue. Hell, I would agree that that is a bit game breaking as a whole lot of stuff is meant to boost that and so certain Lords now can't fight other Lords that they should easily beat.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44

DwarfClericGuy

Lizardmen were basically an "I Win" button. Literally in the case of Lord Kroak- as the AI has no idea what to do about his in-combat nuke. Easiest campaign for me by far.

Dark Elves aren't going as well as I'd hoped - given the fact that DE are always the top AI faction when I play. There seem to be a huge number of hordes wandering around and the region to the west is unhospitable, while the region to the north has attrition. Also, the Crone captured the nearest tablet city, so I either get to fight her or keep failing to confederate.

15. - Top - End - #45

Flumph

The key to Dark Elves is concentrating slaves. You need to make sure all your slaves go into one province, and put a couple of Masters in that reduce slave decline rate. Then you can make a ridiculous amount of money from one province.

Do a Sacrifice to Mathlann as soon as possible to get a Black Ark out and put all your recruitment buildings on that instead of your cities so you can focus cities on economies.

Your armies want to go heavy on Shades with Black Guard and Hydras as your melee, plus fire sorceresses to burninate the peasants.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Its also worth pointing out that just because they game thinks theyre the top, doesn't necessarily mean theyre actually the strongest. I had a high elf game where they were the #1 faction (I was #2) , but all their forces were invested in Black Arks. They had about 2 land based armies, compared to my deathstack of about 6. Needless to say, when I finally went on the offensive, they didn't know what to do about it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Its also worth pointing out that just because they game thinks theyre the top, doesn't necessarily mean theyre actually the strongest. I had a high elf game where they were the #1 faction (I was #2) , but all their forces were invested in Black Arks. They had about 2 land based armies, compared to my deathstack of about 6. Needless to say, when I finally went on the offensive, they didn't know what to do about it.
    Absolutely, I had a good chuckle the other night when playing as Vampire Counts in ME I ran into the DE's (#1 faction) frontline and proceeded to wipe two armies with my LL in one turn while not losing anything. Now they have 6 armies about to descend on the battleline while I have had time to pull 4 up. I'm looking forward to it and fully expect their armies will be smashed with minimum losses to my own. It's fun when you do go up against one of the stronger factions, much more so than clubbing seals.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

18. - Top - End - #48

DwarfClericGuy

Lizardmen were basically an "I Win" button. Literally in the case of Lord Kroak- as the AI has no idea what to do about his in-combat nuke. Easiest campaign for me by far.

Dark Elves aren't going as well as I'd hoped - given the fact that DE are always the top AI faction when I play. There seem to be a huge number of hordes wandering around and the region to the west is unhospitable, while the region to the north has attrition. Also, the Crone captured the nearest tablet city, so I either get to fight her or keep failing to confederate.
    DE play like the inverse of HE to start. Your archer's are shorter range but hit harder. You use bleakswords or dreadspears as a front line, then flank with 1-2 units of corsairs or use darkshards as your killers. As the game goes on you can replace pretty much everything with Shades, I prefer the GW variant but anything works. You can upgrade Shades to hit harder and have longer range than HE archers. Spawn the black arks early if you can because the ship growth takes awhile to be able to upgrade them.

Presumably you're playing as Malekith. Concentrating slave income is really the key. Turn off slaves to everywhere but Naggagrond until it's full. Then pick another province, usually one with a gold mine. Always take slaves if you can. Don't be afraid to raid your provinces for slaves, rebellions are easy to farm and give more slaves. The AI does well because it doesn't get the same diplomat and auto resolve penalties as you. Don't be afraid to conquer your fellow DE. You aren't the HE trying to make friends.

It's tedious but fairly easy to clear the wastes and destroy Mung. You can either raze the main city or take it. Then leave 1 basic army of dark shards and bleakswords there, either at the main city if you kept it or the middle settlement. Main city pays more, but if you choose the middle you can smash the brayherds whenever they spawn. Don't waste money trying to build it up, it takes too long and pays too little. Just farm the rebellions for cash and slaves. After you're established and rolling in cash, you can throw up some untainted and public order buildings and move on. Send a single lord and hero combo to the west to claim all the empty provinces, use the hero to search the ruins and then claim with the slower moving lord. Conquer east or south to expand, your choice. I preferred East but South is definitely viable. Alternatively, confederating with Malus is decent option. His 3 island ports are great income and DE have an easier time handling lizardmen than HE since you have armored piercing archers. Or you could invade the donut.
    Last edited by Thomas Cardew; 2020-06-11 at 09:25 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49

DwarfClericGuy

So the guide I found basically said "don't do Shades- just do Darkshards"- but I'm assuming that is for multiplayer and not campaign, where the price difference isn't really a big deal for your primary army?

I conquered Mung and settled the Altar of Darkness area. Chaos rebellions aren't fun though, since cannons do a lot of damage to low level DE garrisons.

I think the AI giving the rankings a boost to DE because of the Ark armies makes a lot of sense. DE do consolidate very well, however. I've never seen the computer get off the ground with Skaven.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So the guide I found basically said "don't do Shades- just do Darkshards"- but I'm assuming that is for multiplayer and not campaign, where the price difference isn't really a big deal for your primary army?

I conquered Mung and settled the Altar of Darkness area. Chaos rebellions aren't fun though, since cannons do a lot of damage to low level DE garrisons.

I think the AI giving the rankings a boost to DE because of the Ark armies makes a lot of sense. DE do consolidate very well, however. I've never seen the computer get off the ground with Skaven.
    The Dark Elves and High Elves tend to have all their various factions fairly centralized, so conquest or confederation will lead to a very strong mass of consolidated territory. The Skaven meanwhile are splattered all over the world. Confederating somebody doesn't necessarily get you anything usable.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

21. - Top - End - #51

DwarfClericGuy

It depends on playstyle. Shades take a lot of investment. You need lots of research for them to take off and either luck/save-scuming for the shade name of power. Darkshards are cheap and fast but don't get to the same power at the end. Some people prefer to bring multiple cheap armies in which case shards and 2 armies are faster. However, multiple army upkeep penalties start to stack up and army slot efficiency starts to matter more.

The other thing is start location. The DE don't have many enemies in the local area. So Malekith just steam rolls the competition and consolidates everyone. The AI gets multiple bonuses to both growth and public order that you don't so it has an easier time holding. HE experience something similar with either Avelorn or Tyrion consolidating power by smashing one of two sub-factions, usually Calendor/Chrace/Saphry and then confederating. However, the Skaven start isolated surrounded by enemies and generally get deadlocked. If you take pressure off for them, they can get pretty gnarly. If you invade Lustria or the Southlands from the north the Skaven will typically overrun the south by the time you get there. Which is extremely tedious as every town has a garrison, warp bombs, and ambushes are behind every corner.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Kroak is disgusting and Gor Rok isn't much worse as he refuses to die. Hell, get a Heaven Skink Priest and laugh with Chain Lightning.

Lizardmen are amazing.

I prefer the Bleaksword frontline with Darkshards in back. I upgraded to Black Guard of Naggaroth after awhile with a few Hydras.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2020-06-11 at 03:20 PM.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53

Flumph

Kroak is disgusting and Gor Rok isn't much worse as he refuses to die. Hell, get a Heaven Skink Priest and laugh with Chain Lightning.

Lizardmen are amazing.
    Plus you're basically immune to Skaven because Lizardmen just don't care about being ambushed.

I prefer the Bleaksword frontline with Darkshards in back. I upgraded to Black Guard of Naggaroth after awhile with a few Hydras.
    It's better to go for melee defence on your frontline, so at low tier go for Dreadspears.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2020-06-12 at 02:57 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh do I ever hate fighting lizardmen as skaven. Especially early game. Gave up on my Ikit Claw campaign because those Saurus Warriors just ate bullets for breakfast and kept coming.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

It's better to go for melee defence on your frontline, so at low tier go for Dreadspears.
    I tried Dreadspears, but while they held longer I found that Bleakswords worked better because they could actually kill the things they fought on occasion.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56

Flumph

I tried Dreadspears, but while they held longer I found that Bleakswords worked better because they could actually kill the things they fought on occasion.
    Barely though.

And really you don't need your melee frontline to kill things, you need them to not get killed whilst your far more efficient ranged units do the killing things.

27. - Top - End - #57

DwarfClericGuy

Do DE not get encamp or is that a bug?

28. - Top - End - #58

DwarfClericGuy

Nope, you can get immunity to attrition from raiding or replenishment from the channeling stance. You don't have global recruitment either, instead you get more local recruitment spots. You can get mobile recruitment and replenishment from being in range of a Black Ark if it has the right buildings. That's why it's important to get one out fast and start upgrading it. Plus the artillery benefits.

29. - Top - End - #59

DwarfClericGuy

yeah, it feels like once DE hit the ground running they are unstoppable. I struggled with control and money for the first phase of the game and now I have a bunch of armies supported by arks just tearing around the place- everyone happy and plenty of cash .