New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What game characters, music, or story had significant emotional impact for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    I'm a sucker for self-sacrifice and martyrdom if they're done well (see spoiler below), so I absolutely second danzibr's mentions of Final Fantasy VII and Resident Evil 6.
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgaln View Post
    Lunar 2: Eternal Blue also qualifies. I loved the characters of the predecessor (Lunar: Silver Star Story); Lunar 2 plays centuries later, so while there are references to the characters of the previous game in form of statues and history accounts, they are obviously not in the game. Of course the game focuses on the new characters so it's not a big deal. Until you meet the one character who, by nature of what he is, actually is long-lived enough to be in both games and he starts to reminisce about the characters from the first game and how they are all gone now. The feelings did hit me like a truck at that point. Of course there's also the sequence where the paladin who works for the evil empire switches sides and dresses up as a superhero (i. e. donning a mask and a cape) to rescue the other characters from prison. Every single person immediately recognizes him and greets him by name, resulting in exceedingly awkward attempts to claim he's not actually that person. It's hilarous and is still making me laugh occasionally 15 years later.
    Oooohhh excellent examples.

I'd also say in Lunar 2... we get that scene with Luna as an old woman.

In all these games we play and movies we watch, we see these heroes in their prime, they get their happily ever after (I mean, not always, but it happens). But then we almost never see the ever after part of that, them in their later years, bodies worn out.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What game characters, music, or story had significant emotional impact for you?

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    In all these games we play and movies we watch, we see these heroes in their prime, they get their happily ever after (I mean, not always, but it happens). But then we almost never see the ever after part of that, them in their later years, bodies worn out.
    There's the latest God of War with an old, weary Kratos, who's clearly carrying the weight of all his actions from the previous games.

Saga Frontier II's second storyline follows a single family and their fates with an evil artifact, from their first contact with Will Knights at the age of 15, all the way through to Will's granddaughter, Ginny.

Technically speaking, Asura's Wrath is nothing but this, with Asura climbing for millennia out of hell/purgatory after each of his deaths. There's even a boss fight where Asura goes in missing both arms from a previous boss fight - if that's not completely battered and worn out, I don't know what is.

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    There's the latest God of War with an old, weary Kratos, who's clearly carrying the weight of all his actions from the previous games.

Saga Frontier II's second storyline follows a single family and their fates with an evil artifact, from their first contact with Will Knights at the age of 15, all the way through to Will's granddaughter, Ginny.

Technically speaking, Asura's Wrath is nothing but this, with Asura climbing for millennia out of hell/purgatory after each of his deaths. There's even a boss fight where Asura goes in missing both arms from a previous boss fight - if that's not completely battered and worn out, I don't know what is.
    Ahh dang. Managed to not play God of Wrath and Asura's Wrath, but...

Saga Frontier II. Gustave :'(
    Spoiler
    Show
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Oh, how did I forget? 2008's Prince of Persia is a pretty good game all around, but the ending is really a kick in the feels.

Spoiler
    Show
    In order to fully seal away Ormazd, Elika sacrifices her life... but Ormazd is willing to bring her back for the low, low price of setting him completely free. The Prince is forced to choose between undoing everything you've accomplished over the course of the game, or letting the person he accomplished it with (and for) die for good. And even though he knows Elika will hate him for it, to him that's no choice at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Ahh dang. Managed to not play God of Wrath and Asura's Wrath, but...
    I highly recommend the latest God of War. Gameplay wise, there's enough freedom to go back and explore or take on optional areas at your leisure but it's not as aimless like the current trend of open world games. The story is also great and the character development of Kratos' son, while predictable, is still interesting due to Kratos being the meanest, surliest [redacted] in Midgard.

With Asura's Wrath, you can nearly get the same experience as playing the game by watching a no commentry Let's Play on Youtube as the game is so cinematic - if anything you can appreciate even more of the spectacle as you're not having to focus on hammering buttons and keeping an eye out for the QTEs.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Saga Frontier II. Gustave :'(
    Eh. The first part is cruel, but it gives motivation for Gustave to actually change the world.

You know what's the cruel yet pointless part? Cordelia undergoing the mission in the Dark City. Or...heck, the entire thing with Johan.

Spoiler
    Show
    The thing with Cordelia is, the group finds clues about...I believe the Egg (i.e. the evil artifact)? Anyways, they have to check up on one of the cities at night. Thing is, it's a "stealth" mission, so it can only be done with one member of the party, and because Wil has ties to the Egg and could identify him, he refuses to go. Eventually, the gang catches up with her, and because she's so good and nice, she dies.

Yes. She dies. She gets killed. And you know what's the thing? You can choose someone else to go, but the game presses you to choose her. In fact, if you do choose someone else, Wil and Cordelia end up together, and she actually becomes Ginny's grandmother. (If my memory serves me right. I recall choosing one of the guys.)

The thing with Johan is actually worse. Hiding from his guild of assassins, Johan seeks asylum with Gustave. He tells him about his assassin's guild and how they can hide their Anima to avoid being seen...but because Gustave has no connection to Anima (or has a connection with Steel Anima, which makes him pretty much immune to magic; YMMV), he can see them, and because by then he's an extremely powerful political figure AND a skilled warrior on his own, Johan figures he'll be safer with him. Thing is...when he joined the guild, he was forced to consume magically-treated scorpion poison, which will kill him if he betrays the guild, so what Johan actually asks out of Gustave is to protect him while he essentially dies out of the poison.

Thing is? During a battle, the fort where Gustave remains gets attacked by monsters, and Johan chooses to step in and protect Gustave up to his death. And the thing is, each time you win a battle, your life slowly seeps away, until you reach to 0 LP (I.e., your lives) And despite Johan's massive effort...Gustave still dies from monsters overcoming him. Meaning his death was essentially worthless. "You can't fight fate" indeed.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Kinda surprised so many people are mentioning music, but that's cool. Guess I'm just not as affected by music as much???
    I think it's more likely that you don't consciously notice it. An OST's job is to enhance whatever the mood of the current scene is; whether it be upbeat and happy, sad and depressed, tense, etc.

Even for people who "don't notice" or "aren't affected" by music, you can tell a stark difference in the impact of the exact same scene when the music is removed from something. Otherwise good scenes (well written dialogue, stellar acting, and so on) can feel flat and lifeless without the appropriate OST, or flat out ruined by a tonally dissonant one, and alternately mediocre scenes can often be elevated by the use of extremely good musical motifs.

An argument COULD be made that a good OST is doing its job when you don't consciously notice it. For The Other Promise song I mentioned, as an example, I didn't notice it very much while playing because I was so frantically focused on not being annihilated by Roxas's cheap bull**** stellar swordplay. It was only on replays and listens through the soundtrack afterward that I was able to pin a track to the specific emotions it invoked. And then of course after that it became something I specifically listened FOR with that series.

Which makes my inability to remember a SINGLE unique musical track from Kingdom Hearts 3 that much more damning.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by T.G. Oskar View Post
    Eh. The first part is cruel, but it gives motivation for Gustave to actually change the world.

You know what's the cruel yet pointless part? Cordelia undergoing the mission in the Dark City. Or...heck, the entire thing with Johan.

Spoiler
    Show
    The thing with Cordelia is, the group finds clues about...I believe the Egg (i.e. the evil artifact)? Anyways, they have to check up on one of the cities at night. Thing is, it's a "stealth" mission, so it can only be done with one member of the party, and because Wil has ties to the Egg and could identify him, he refuses to go. Eventually, the gang catches up with her, and because she's so good and nice, she dies.

Yes. She dies. She gets killed. And you know what's the thing? You can choose someone else to go, but the game presses you to choose her. In fact, if you do choose someone else, Wil and Cordelia end up together, and she actually becomes Ginny's grandmother. (If my memory serves me right. I recall choosing one of the guys.)

The thing with Johan is actually worse. Hiding from his guild of assassins, Johan seeks asylum with Gustave. He tells him about his assassin's guild and how they can hide their Anima to avoid being seen...but because Gustave has no connection to Anima (or has a connection with Steel Anima, which makes him pretty much immune to magic; YMMV), he can see them, and because by then he's an extremely powerful political figure AND a skilled warrior on his own, Johan figures he'll be safer with him. Thing is...when he joined the guild, he was forced to consume magically-treated scorpion poison, which will kill him if he betrays the guild, so what Johan actually asks out of Gustave is to protect him while he essentially dies out of the poison.

Thing is? During a battle, the fort where Gustave remains gets attacked by monsters, and Johan chooses to step in and protect Gustave up to his death. And the thing is, each time you win a battle, your life slowly seeps away, until you reach to 0 LP (I.e., your lives) And despite Johan's massive effort...Gustave still dies from monsters overcoming him. Meaning his death was essentially worthless. "You can't fight fate" indeed.
    Your memory's better than mine - I played it once about 20 years ago and I remember Gustave being a non-magic user (and that being notable), but nothing else about the game (had to wiki the rest).

I should find a synopsis - I don't think I completed it, but I remember being annoyed that you never found out what happened to Gustave.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Another good example is Uncharted 4. Nathan Drake did get his happily ever after at the end of Uncharted 3...until he goes out for one last ride. It nearly ruins his marriage and there's a lot of "too old for this" messaging. I thought it was a perfect way to send off the series.

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the ending is ruined by Uncharted 5, but whatever.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

Final Fantasy 6/3 (US): It has one of the most evocative scores I've ever heard from a game, much less one that is 16 bit. It tells a story that is not focused on any one primary character, so every one of the characters gets their own growth, their own time in the limelight, and a backstory that is compelling. It manages to be both humorous, completely slapstick, sappy romantic, and grimdark all in one small package.

Spoiler
    Show
    Its hard to describe the emotional impact this game had on me. I'm not normally one to cry at movies or tear up at anything you would normally consider emotional. This game destroyed me. At a young age. Young me couldn't put into words what I felt as I played along and watched as the world was supposedly destroyed, marooned on an island with a only my favorite character of the bunch and a single side character, both thinking they are the last people alive anywhere. Do your absolute best at a minigame that you never even knew was a minigame... not knowing there were winning and losing conditions. Thinking there was only one possible outcome... watching as the one sole companion your favorite character had pass away. Watch as the sense of loss and depression rolls in heavily over the character you've fallen in love with... and then have the game FORCE you... to walk said character up a mountain. Watch one of the most heartbreaking scenes I have ever seen in my life while their extremely sad theme song is playing in the back... and have to be the one that presses the button to make that character fling themself off the cliff down into the sea and rocks of the coast below in an attempt at suicide because they thought that... with all the information that they could possibly have... that there really was nothing left... and no one left to live for. It didn't matter that a few moments later you wash back up on the beach, apparently unharmed. I never got that far. Not for over two months. I couldn't do it. As soon as the screen faded black, my tear-streaked face reflected in the dark tv, I turned off the game and walked away crying like an absolute child... and not just a little... like full on Ugly crying. I mourned that game for over two months before I could (with the support of a friend who had made it past there but refused to tell me anything) must up the nerve to even turn it back on to try and proceed.

I've played a LOT of games over a pretty long time. I can't think of a single one that has hit me so powerfully, so deeply that it felt like I had lost a family member before my eyes.
    Current Sexy Reya Dawnbringer avatar by Edwin, thanks for the awesomeness.

"Come with me, and we'll be...
    In a world of total annihilation." .....Itnetlolor of Bay12 forums

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne View Post
    Final Fantasy 6/3 (US): It has one of the most evocative scores I've ever heard from a game, much less one that is 16 bit. It tells a story that is not focused on any one primary character, so every one of the characters gets their own growth, their own time in the limelight, and a backstory that is compelling. It manages to be both humorous, completely slapstick, sappy romantic, and grimdark all in one small package.

Spoiler
    Show
    Its hard to describe the emotional impact this game had on me. I'm not normally one to cry at movies or tear up at anything you would normally consider emotional. This game destroyed me. At a young age. Young me couldn't put into words what I felt as I played along and watched as the world was supposedly destroyed, marooned on an island with a only my favorite character of the bunch and a single side character, both thinking they are the last people alive anywhere. Do your absolute best at a minigame that you never even knew was a minigame... not knowing there were winning and losing conditions. Thinking there was only one possible outcome... watching as the one sole companion your favorite character had pass away. Watch as the sense of loss and depression rolls in heavily over the character you've fallen in love with... and then have the game FORCE you... to walk said character up a mountain. Watch one of the most heartbreaking scenes I have ever seen in my life while their extremely sad theme song is playing in the back... and have to be the one that presses the button to make that character fling themself off the cliff down into the sea and rocks of the coast below in an attempt at suicide because they thought that... with all the information that they could possibly have... that there really was nothing left... and no one left to live for. It didn't matter that a few moments later you wash back up on the beach, apparently unharmed. I never got that far. Not for over two months. I couldn't do it. As soon as the screen faded black, my tear-streaked face reflected in the dark tv, I turned off the game and walked away crying like an absolute child... and not just a little... like full on Ugly crying. I mourned that game for over two months before I could (with the support of a friend who had made it past there but refused to tell me anything) must up the nerve to even turn it back on to try and proceed.

I've played a LOT of games over a pretty long time. I can't think of a single one that has hit me so powerfully, so deeply that it felt like I had lost a family member before my eyes.
    Totally agree. I started, to be honest, with Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, but FFVI was my first actual entry into the FF series, and there's a reason I refuse to rate it in a top 10, because I feel that I'd do it an injustice. I'm quite angry that it's one game that seems to be always neglected: FFIII was given a great 3D redo, and FFIV was given the same, but about the only graphical uplifting done was the Android/iOS version, even though it had a few things added in thanks to the Advance version. This is one game that could definitely use a full remake a la FFVII, with maybe an expansion to the story. (In fact, it's the only SNES-era version that hasn't received a sequel - FFIV had after years, and YMMV whether the Legend of the Crystals anime can be considered a sequel to FFV, since it's meant to be in the same world) Not in vain I insist that Terra Branford is my platonic love interest. (Fun fact: is it fair to consider Terra one of the first, if not THE first, protagonist in a game that is officially asexual? That speech with Leo is rather eye-opening.)

Spoiler: Follow-up to Spoiler
    Show
    And yeah, that scene didn't pull any punches. It's a lot more jarring to know that you can actually save Cid by doing the right thing. It's the kind of late-era SNES RPGs content that toyed with the stringent censorship of Nintendo that makes them so memorable.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

if Celesyne didn't mention that very ff6 scene, i was going to.

my 9 year old self did not expect that on the snes.

the game is full of those moments where you just kinda sit back and soak in what happened.

The game's intro, where the 3 magitek armours slowly lumber up the snow in full mode 7 to Narshe under the cover of night to grab the uncovered tritorch esper with the somber opening theme as the credits roll and winds howl sets up the tone perfectly.

This is not a happy game.

13. - Top - End - #43

FFVI definitely hits you in the feels a couple times. *sniffle* Leo

Hmm pretty much every FF does, more or less. Pretty much.

But man, the more I think about VI in particular, that game’s chockablock with tragedy. And some of it you don’t realize until you’re way into the game.
    Spoiler
    Show
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

This might seem a bit odd, but Skyrim hit me hard a few times, especially in the Markarth storyline. Hearing that one old Forsworn describe how his daughter accepted a death sentence to save him, and how he was thrown into prison after watching her head roll filled me with such immense sadness and fury. The Markarth Incident in general ensured that I am forever on the side of the Empire against the Stormcloaks.

"There are no innocents in Markarth. Just the guilty and the dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Plot:
    Game of Thrones (2012 game). The game's otherwise mediocre, but final scene near the end made me sick to the stomach:
    Spoiler: Alester's family
    Show
    Alester, one of the main protagonists, took the black to save his family from reprisals and has been living for years guarding the Wall under the impression that they alive and well.

Part way through the story, he travels home with his friend Mors (and the other protagonist), only to find that they're dead and had been killed years ago.

The penultimate scene of the game is Alester discovering that Mors had killed his family on orders, then the game immediately cuts to a flashback scene with you controlling Mors just before you murder Alester's family in their home.
    You got the names back-to-front.

Spoiler
    Show
    I watched a Let's Play of the game where they thought they'd have more control over the character's personalities, so they played Mors as a complete jerk and Alester as a nice guy. That made those later scenes really jarring.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    You got the names back-to-front.
    Ooops, fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I watched a Let's Play of the game where they thought they'd have more control over the character's personalities, so they played Mors as a complete jerk and Alester as a nice guy. That made those later scenes really jarring.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I got the impression that was how Alester was supposed to be played - a nice guy, very loyal and lives true to his family motto, 'Family is Hope, Protect it Always', which only adds to the sense of betrayal of the plot twist.

It's especially heinous given how friendly and forgiving Alester generally is towards Mors throughout the whole game, although most probably out of a sense of guilt (in one of the endings, Alester commits suicide despite becoming lord of a town, it involved him handing over a baby to Cersei's men, who then kill it on her orders).

As for Mors, he comes across as a very hard but fair man, who holds himself and everybody around him to impossibly high standards; 'Death Over Dishonor' indeed.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've had a great amount of fun these past couple weeks playing Sunless Sea, a game where you sail around an enormous underground ocean, get into all kinds of wacky shenanigans, and in all likelihood, go insane, eat your crew, and die. That's why I didn't expect this moment to kick me square in my feelings.

Spoiler: Pigmote Isle questline
    Show

My *counts on fingers* sixth captain came across an island where a group of earnest but gruff rats and a group of elegant but pretentious guinea pigs were waging an adorable war for dominance over a particularly pretty jewel. It was as ridiculous as it was bloody. I initially sided with the guinea pigs (Cavies, they called themselves) but I was playing this captain as moderately idealistic, so after the war was concluded I helped them to reconcile their differences and unify into one nation. On subsequent trips to their island, I helped them resolve all sorts of dilemmas, stressing empathy and kindness as they built their society. At one point, I noticed I'd gained the enmity of Salt, one of the gods of the underground Zee, but didn't think too much of it.

On one particular trip to Pigmote Isle, I found that they had been visited by emissaries of the Fathomking and the Khanate. Both factions were demanding that Pigmote Isle become a vassal to them. The Khanate is wrestling with Fallen London (my home) for dominion over the Zee, so obviously I couldn't side with them. And having visited the Fathomking's court, I found him to be capricious and cruel, so I didn't feel right telling the Cavies to ally with him. Instead, I advised the inhabitants of Pigmote Isle to seek independence. They thanked me for my guidance, and then told me to sail away; this was their battle, and their battle alone.

On my last trip to the island, I found that the thriving civilization I'd nurtured from birth had been completely eradicated in war. All that remained were a handful of starving rodents scavenging through the rubble. They trusted me, and I killed them.

Shell-shocked, I returned to Fallen London, seeking comforts in the arms of the "Likely Lass" I'd romanced during a random event. When my gangplank touched the docks, I was met with a letter. The Likely Lass was no more, killed in a horrifying and painful accident in the service of Fallen London. As I read through the storylet accompanying her death, I noticed one line: Your quality, "Salt's Curse", has gone.

I re-christened my frigate as The Unlikely Lass. I immediately sailed to Whither, the Land of Questions, and spit on the floor of Salt's temple. And I don't report on Pigmote Isle anymore.

My only love is the Zee.

All in all, 9/10 gaming experience!
    Last edited by Marillion; 2020-06-01 at 09:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    I like my women like I like my coffee; 10 feet tall, incomprehensible to the human psyche, and capable of ending life as a triviality.

18. - Top - End - #48

I think I've said it in another thread, but Fallout: New Vegas has its emotional thesis in the quest Return to Sender.

What starts out as needing to change security codes for messages eventually leads you to track down an act of sabotage and an old commander set up in the regional headquarters. You talk to him, first about the lake his post looks out on. Then about the future. He's given up hope, sick of sending humans to die. Change is coming and there's just no way anyone sees any light at the end of the tunnel. He just wants the kids under his command to go home.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you do what could be considered the ethical thing and tell him you're going to turn him in, he asks for a moment.
    He goes to give a speech through the camp's radio system. Then shoots himself

If your timing is particularly unlucky, the silence is broken by song Maybe playing over the radio

I also still believe Bioshock: Infinite's vanilla ending is very impactful and good. It ties up the story, answers questions while not over-explaining and even gives importance to a song that gets brought up through the game.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

19. - Top - End - #49
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Marillion View Post
    I've had a great amount of fun these past couple weeks playing Sunless Sea, a game where you sail around an enormous underground ocean, get into all kinds of wacky shenanigans, and in all likelihood, go insane, eat your crew, and die. That's why I didn't expect this moment to kick me square in my feelings.

Spoiler: Pigmote Isle questline
    Show

My *counts on fingers* sixth captain came across an island where a group of earnest but gruff rats and a group of elegant but pretentious guinea pigs were waging an adorable war for dominance over a particularly pretty jewel. It was as ridiculous as it was bloody. I initially sided with the guinea pigs (Cavies, they called themselves) but I was playing this captain as moderately idealistic, so after the war was concluded I helped them to reconcile their differences and unify into one nation. On subsequent trips to their island, I helped them resolve all sorts of dilemmas, stressing empathy and kindness as they built their society. At one point, I noticed I'd gained the enmity of Salt, one of the gods of the underground Zee, but didn't think too much of it.

On one particular trip to Pigmote Isle, I found that they had been visited by emissaries of the Fathomking and the Khanate. Both factions were demanding that Pigmote Isle become a vassal to them. The Khanate is wrestling with Fallen London (my home) for dominion over the Zee, so obviously I couldn't side with them. And having visited the Fathomking's court, I found him to be capricious and cruel, so I didn't feel right telling the Cavies to ally with him. Instead, I advised the inhabitants of Pigmote Isle to seek independence. They thanked me for my guidance, and then told me to sail away; this was their battle, and their battle alone.

On my last trip to the island, I found that the thriving civilization I'd nurtured from birth had been completely eradicated in war. All that remained were a handful of starving rodents scavenging through the rubble. They trusted me, and I killed them.

Shell-shocked, I returned to Fallen London, seeking comforts in the arms of the "Likely Lass" I'd romanced during a random event. When my gangplank touched the docks, I was met with a letter. The Likely Lass was no more, killed in a horrifying and painful accident in the service of Fallen London. As I read through the storylet accompanying her death, I noticed one line: Your quality, "Salt's Curse", has gone.

I re-christened my frigate as The Unlikely Lass. I immediately sailed to Whither, the Land of Questions, and spit on the floor of Salt's temple. And I don't report on Pigmote Isle anymore.

My only love is the Zee.

All in all, 9/10 gaming experience!
    Yeah, Salt is one bastard of a god.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

Lightbulb Re: What game characters, music, or story had significant emotional impact for you?

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Was thinking about this recently. What kind of games made a lasting emotional impact with you that make them great? Be it truly unique and memorable characters, a moving soundtrack to underscore big moments, or just a story that had you glued to your seat? The kind of games that aren't ONLY fun, but go beyond and become iconic (if only personally).
    It's not new, but the soundtrack of Game of Thrones; Big Little Lies and the second season of American Horror Story. But what really inspires my are the emotions of real-life drama and mad passion (not only about my wife, I mean): for example I love extreme and professional gambling.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

For me, the entire Mass Effect Trilogy.

The 1st one not so much but Virmire, the Sole Survivor personal mission, and the confrontation with Wrex still pains me, the encounter with Sovereign and attack on the Citadel still sends chills down my spine. That's not even going into 2 and 3. For all people debate if the Mass Effect 3 ending worked or not or how it could have been better, for my Shepard it was the perfect conclusion to her story.

Hands down my favorite games and series.

Oddly enough, Mass Effect Andromeda also had an emotional impact on me, it was just of overwhelming disappointment.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

In the Realm of video-games several of them evoked emotional responses.

Baldur's Gate I & II left a deep impact on me due to the timing of when I played them. I played BG1 at the tail end of High school and I, by coincidence, played BG2 at the tail end of college. The poetic coincidence of that made me really connect with my PC's story. The Bhaalspawn starts as a level one schmuck getting killed by Kobolds. I started as an awkward teen with major handicaps and a dysfunctional family. My Bhaalspawn ended as a level 23 Cleric/Mage with the power of a god. I ended college graduating with full honors, self-confidence in my differences and having had to go through some of the hardest experiences of my life.

Ocarina of Time is also important to me because the game was one of my first experiences not related to the hospital or major medical anomalies. I drew a lot of courage from Link. I forced myself to confront my issues with the same dogged bravery Link did against the various bosses. OoT might actually be one of the cornerstone reasons I didn't grow into a neurotic or mentally stunted wreck. (In my early childhood it was assumed I was as mentally handicapped as I was physically)

Non-gaming honorable mentions:

Toph from Avatar the Last Airbender was a significant character for me. In truth ATLA aired a little after I outgrew cartoons but when I stumbled on the Toph intro episode one day I got hooked on the series. Toph isn't exactly a deep character, but as a positive depiction of the physically disabled she's an incredibly good character.

Tyrion Lannister from A Song of Ice and Fire series. I'm referring to the books. Before reading the series I used to think there were no works of fiction that could fully accurately explore the struggle and emotions of peoples with physical and mental handicaps. While GoT isn't perfect Tyrion's character comes so close as to be the only work of fiction to ever move me to tears. Some of Tyrion's internal monologues and personal struggles are, blow-for-blow identical to real-life issues I've had to face. I must commend GRRM for having a deeper than normal understanding of different peoples.