New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1202 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    New thing we've learned: Bloodfeast is a bed-hog. Probably steals the blanket in the middle of the night too.
    To be fair, he usually needs far more space than he currently requires.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psychronia View Post
    The People of Vapor, huh? Yeah, I guess I can see where Celia is coming from with this one, though I have to wonder how they were imprisoned and subsequently freed in the first place.
    The tale of how they were imprisoned is a convoluted saga, more of a loose collection of similar stories than one coherent narrative....What most of them have in common is the background: the vampire lord Dyson, as part of his overengineered plan to blot out the sun, diverted one of the mightiest rivers into a planar portal that passed through the Elemental Plane of Air. The legendary Hoover strove to stem the tide, and their conflict filled a region of the plane with wild magic that collapsed the Folk of Fog into pinpoint light sources, as well as creating the Spherical Cow.

The stories are wildly divergent on their accounts of the individual people; but the main sequence is the stars finding their way out of the mess they found themselves in, only to find they'd been tricked into an even worse mess. A great many involve convincing a wizard to craft a lamp to serve as a focus for them to transfer their essence to (using the thematic power of moving a light to a source of light to facilitate the magic) in exchange for performing some favor for the wizard, only to discover after the fact that the lamps were constructed to compel them to serve their owner indefinitely.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

3. - Top - End - #63
    Spamalot in the Playground

Rich's art regarding the spell effects has progressed a great deal.
    Also, I love that Blackwing and Haley were harassing the potion-seller in opposite ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Taojnhy View Post
    Nothing suspicious looking about a bird flying ahead of seven thin distinctly-shaped smoke-colored low clouds, one of which is weaving crazily about; and that's not even getting into their velocity with regard to wind direction!

Redcloak for certain would know something was wrong and even Xykon would be suspicious if either of them happened to look up. It's not like Wind Walk is a unique spell that no one else has ever heard of.
    They're not really looking up though, so it's plausible that there won't be a complication resulting from wind walking down there.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2020-05-15 at 01:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    The tale of how they were imprisoned is a convoluted saga, more of a loose collection of similar stories than one coherent narrative....What most of them have in common is the background: the vampire lord Dyson, as part of his overengineered plan to blot out the sun, diverted one of the mightiest rivers into a planar portal that passed through the Elemental Plane of Air. The legendary Hoover strove to stem the tide, and their conflict filled a region of the plane with wild magic that collapsed the Folk of Fog into pinpoint light sources, as well as creating the Spherical Cow.

The stories are wildly divergent on their accounts of the individual people; but the main sequence is the stars finding their way out of the mess they found themselves in, only to find they'd been tricked into an even worse mess. A great many involve convincing a wizard to craft a lamp to serve as a focus for them to transfer their essence to (using the thematic power of moving a light to a source of light to facilitate the magic) in exchange for performing some favor for the wizard, only to discover after the fact that the lamps were constructed to compel them to serve their owner indefinitely.
    Bold of you to not mention Oreck the Mighty. Tales tell there was nary a thing he could not lift.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-05-15 at 01:31 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #65
    Halfling in the Playground

Andi did not look sad to see them go.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I find this strip rather timely and amusing, because I play a hill dwarf cleric in a 5E campaign right now and we just did exactly this to sneak up on a camp full of cultists.

I almost wish somebody would write "SURRENDER XYKON" in the sky in black smoke, but that would certainly kill all hope of a successful Stealth check.

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    It just sunk in for me:

this is it.

It's the final grand arc of the entire story. And I cannot wait to see what happens.
    There is no way in the Nine Hells that this is going to go that straightforwardly. My "impending snarls and complications" sense is pinging rather wildly by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    I feel unsettled. This brief moment of joy and lightheartedness feels like the last bit of calm before the storm.

And Redhat Whatshername looking all shifty in that last panel with the crew isn't helping, either.
    That's Andi. I'm pretty sure she's still all kinds of resentful for the Order helping thwart her short-lived mutiny, and thus doesn't want to bother seeing them off as she goes about her duties.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

A really nice tiny touch in the final panel; Haley's ponytail and Belkar's cloak are lengthened/warped compared to their usual models because of the spell and the fact that they're moving at high speeds. Love the little details and the background in this one.
    I draw, and I write sometimes! Drow paladin avatar by me. They/Them

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaytara View Post
    And Redhat Whatshername looking all shifty in that last panel with the crew isn't helping, either.
    Who, Andi? At this point, she's in a perpetual state of grump, not that we've ever seen her particularly happy so far as I can recall. She doesn't like that the Mechane is involved in this mess, and she's not earning anything from this trip -- her share is being split among the rest of the crew. She's probably "happy" that their part in this quest appears to be almost over.

Quote Originally Posted by ella ventic View Post
    It's actually Haley doing it, though, not Elan. Which is why he asks her what she's doing. I wonder if she's actually trying to cover their tracks? They may appear as smoke, but they're still six straight, noticeable lines; not super-ideal for stealth.
    I'm not sure which is more noticeable: a group of straight lines all moving together, or a group in which just one is behaving very differently from the others.

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Yes, Durkon showed us that bit of dwarven culture in #974.

Agreed. “They're holding an air parade in our honor!”
    Durkon also really didn't enjoy flying with Minrah and Thor through the Astral Plane. His nausea was attributed to all of the "ideas" that he was flying through, but there may have been more to it. And there might be an element of conditioned nausea coming through now.

EDIT: Minrah's comment to him in panel 4 implies that she's aware that Durkon has a deep-seated aversion to flight, enough to potentially impair him.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenocide586 View Post
    Haley Wrote the word Lovers with her vapor trail. It's a big heart (Love) followed by cursive "e" "r" and a capital S.
    Ah, yes, I think that's it. I noticed the heart but couldn't parse the rest.

This is a very pretty page overall.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2020-05-15 at 02:17 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

I don’t know but the term “Genie” being offensive sounds like Simpsons’s “living impaired” for zombies and Doom Eternal’s “mortally challenged” for demons.
    Just the vibe.
    Also are the genies Genansi since both of them had the spirits from another elemental realm idea.
    Last edited by t209; 2020-05-15 at 02:13 PM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

10. - Top - End - #70
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    Also are the genies Genansi since both of them had the spirits from another elemental realm idea.
    Genasi, in 3rd ed, are part-human, and descended from beings native to the Elemental Planes - Elementals or Outsiders.

Marids, dao, djinni, and efreeti, the four major "genie races", are Outsiders native to the elemental planes, which interact with humankind a lot.

As such, many (but not all) genasi will be descended from one of those.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-05-15 at 02:27 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

What a pretty strip; I've really been enjoying everything Rich has been pulling off since the art update. Also, this one is hilarious to boot: "It's an awful spell an' I hate ev'rey minute o' it", "lamp-based oppression of people of vapor".

I'm excited for what happens when they finally land.

Peelee’s Lotsey

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Why would Haley convince someone to price-gouge her?
    When people told you that you were dumb, they were being nice.

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Lkctgo View Post
    Why would Haley convince someone to price-gouge her?
    Haley enjoys giving good advice to others!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Haley is pregnant confirmed....

but it's Belkar's because she didn't use enough protection while zooming around merging cloud stuff.
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Haley is great here. First her gloriously scewed priorities with the potion merchant and then she proves she can be just as goofy as Elan.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Erm, can you destroy the earth?" "EGADS! I hope not! That's where I keep all my stuff!" ~ The Tick

Reference aside, the broader question, however, is that our most fashionable of air pirates didn't say "all." He said "most".

What kind of extra-planar storage solution do you think our dreadlocked friend is using?
    I like to art!

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by Necris Omega View Post
    "Erm, can you destroy the earth?" "EGADS! I hope not! That's where I keep all my stuff!" ~ The Tick

Reference aside, the broader question, however, is that our most fashionable of air pirates didn't say "all." He said "most".

What kind of extra-planar storage solution do you think our dreadlocked friend is using?
    Grey Wolf beat me to the punch the first time, but not here! Bags of Holding are the simplest answer.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Grey Wolf beat me to the punch the first time, but not here! Bags of Holding are the simplest answer.
    My preference is to craft wardrobes from extradimensional trees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    "'cause it's where I keep most of my stuff." was my favorite part of this strip.
    Shades of one of the best Tick episodes!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

20. - Top - End - #80
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMonk View Post
    Minor plot hole: Roy mentions that they used Wind Walk to get into Bleedingham without proper paperwork, so the rest of the party should already be familiar with it.
    1. It's a new book. The party is familar with the spell, but the readers might be not.

2. The other times they used Wind Walk, it was just a means of fast travel. This time, the concealment is important, too. Again, this information is for the reader, not the party.

21. - Top - End - #81

My preference is the Handy Haversack, because I have spent far too much of my life trying to find something without just emptying out the backpack.

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    My preference is the Handy Haversack, because I have spent far too much of my life trying to find something without just emptying out the backpack.
    Ditto for me, but a surprising amount of games I've been in treat BoH's as effective HHs.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

[QUOTE=Fitzclowningham;24510153]
    Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1 View Post
    Oh my god were all going to be dead by the time this comic ends, aren't we.

We need to be raising the next generation of readers now to see it through to the end.
    Speak for yourself.

*My* boys won't stop pestering me for when we can afford the next book. I've *done* my part. My wife won't let me help with anyone else's obligations.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Taojnhy View Post
    Nothing suspicious looking about a bird flying ahead of seven thin distinctly-shaped smoke-colored low clouds, one of which is weaving crazily about; and that's not even getting into their velocity with regard to wind direction!

Redcloak for certain would know something was wrong and even Xykon would be suspicious if either of them happened to look up. It's not like Wind Walk is a unique spell that no one else has ever heard of.

Or was the stark difference (aside from Haley's antics) for the audience's benefit when in actuality they're blending in much better?
    Yeah, I thought about that too. And remember, reverting takes one minute during which time they are incapacitated. I'm sure Giant remembers that.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    Speak for yourself.

*My* boys won't stop pestering me for when we can afford the next book. I've *done* my part. My wife won't let me help with anyone else's obligations.

You could start introducing OotS to your sons' friends.
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2020-05-15 at 04:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    ...Anyhow, I wonder if Redcloak or Xykon will notice the unusual cloud formations and figure out what's going on.
    RC or Xykon may not. But I'm thinking the (probable) Beastmaster with a flying mount that they're traveling with, would normally pay close attention to the weather.

Are there any long range scrying spells that could pick out the Order from a background of clouds? Something like True Seeing, but with much better range?

So, have we figured out where O-Chul and Lien are? I am wondering if they're in a cavern within this Tomb, that doesn't have a clearly marked door. A sliding partition of the same interdimensional stone that comprises the rest of the Tomb, would serve to block any divination attempts, right? Bonus points if it's also where the Gate is.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    RC or Xykon may not. But I'm thinking the (probable) Beastmaster with a flying mount that they're traveling with, would normally pay close attention to the weather.

Are there any long range scrying spells that could pick out the Order from a background of clouds? Something like True Seeing, but with much better range?

So, have we figured out where O-Chul and Lien are? I am wondering if they're in a cavern within this Tomb, that doesn't have a clearly marked door. A sliding partition of the same interdimensional stone that comprises the rest of the Tomb, would serve to block any divination attempts, right? Bonus points if it's also where the Gate is.
    The weather may not vary by much if the area is technically a desert, like our poles. So Oona may not be too concerned about the weather. Then again, I think I see clouds in the background, although it’s sort of hard to tell.

Also, if the Order is smart they’ll observe a bit more caution once they approach the tomb, and not fly directly above the camp where they can be observed. (Unless, that is, they can blend in against a backdrop of cloud.)

Regarding long-range scrying spells - I think Team Evil would have to use an actual scrying spell to find the Order at this point. There’s no long-range version of True Seeing that I know of, and although Xykon could certainly have researched an epic version, that’s really not his style.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    The weather may not vary by much if the area is technically a desert, like our poles. So Oona may not be too concerned about the weather. Then again, I think I see clouds in the background, although it’s sort of hard to tell.

Also, if the Order is smart they’ll observe a bit more caution once they approach the tomb, and not fly directly above the camp where they can be observed. (Unless, that is, they can blend in against a backdrop of cloud.)

Regarding long-range scrying spells - I think Team Evil would have to use an actual scrying spell to find the Order at this point. There’s no long-range version of True Seeing that I know of, and although Xykon could certainly have researched an epic version, that’s really not his style.
    Deserts still get a bunch of wind, although I don't think our Poles get much in the way of convective weather, which is something flyers pay real close attention to. Near the Poles, comparatively, there are things like katabatic winds, which can get a bit severe, with frequent triple digit wind speeds. Freezing fog is also a concern for those flyers not relying on magic for their airfoil.

Anyway, it was just an observation that Oona likely has some additional talents that are in excess of those possessed by the other members of Team Evil, even if her overall combat power or CR would be well behind them. She's hanging with some "seriously evil badasses here", and doing really well, judging by the cross hatching on her compared to RC or Xykon.

Agreed they're not going to zoom right overhead. Besides, we already did the 'Monster sees us when we thought we were invisible' gag with the Nightcrawler.

Also agree that scrying prep like RedCloak might normally do, and doesn't seem to bother with here so far, for some reason, isn't Xykon's style at all. I didn't know though whether there was some Detect spell or a spell that created line that when crossed by Good, tripped an alarm.

Thanks for pointing out the (Love)ers trail in the clouds. I knew there'd be a goody in the art, I just didn't see it.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

Speaking of cross hatching on their sprites after they finish a Tomb-crawl, has there been a single one yet on the MITD's umbrella? He (O-Chul calls him, "a good man") did get jacked up after Girard's Gate exploded, so it's possible to damage his umbrella. At least the one pre-art upgrade.

But AFAIK, and am willing to check, he hasn't been touched yet. Just what is his DR?! Or does he just have Fast Healing out the wazoo?
    Last edited by Ghosty; 2020-05-15 at 05:06 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90

Unknown. We have threads of theories, though.