New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1202 - The Discussion Thread

In fact we've gone through 13 full thread, we're currently on Number 14, currently the top/most popular theories explanations for being really hard to hurt are: DR 10-15, having some DR and little fast healing, being immune to all non-bludgeoning damage and being a member of the main characters species from Schlock Mercenary (this one isn't very popular).
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

This is what's called a Chekov's Dinossaur

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xenocide586 View Post
    Haley Wrote the word Lovers with her vapor trail. It's a big heart (Love) followed by cursive "e" "r" and a capital S.
    So she wrote "lovers" in a dangerous time?
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Man, what a cool visual, and really sets the stage. Here they come Xykon, and this time they're entering in STYLE.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    I almost wish somebody would write "SURRENDER XYKON" in the sky in black smoke, but that would certainly kill all hope of a successful Stealth check.
    And given his attitude and power level, if Xykon thought one of the gods was trying to send him a sign to stop, he'd probably try to kill that god.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necris Omega View Post
    What kind of extra-planar storage solution do you think our dreadlocked friend is using?
    Julio said when he left that he's going to the Outer Planes. So the pirates may have a stash on one of those. Probably the Plane of Air, since they're air pirates.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Genasi, in 3rd ed, are part-human, and descended from beings native to the Elemental Planes - Elementals or Outsiders.

Marids, dao, djinni, and efreeti, the four major "genie races", are Outsiders native to the elemental planes, which interact with humankind a lot.

As such, many (but not all) genasi will be descended from one of those.
    Thanks, just didn't know what the DnD genies are as of newer editions.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

8. - Top - End - #98
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Cause that's where I keep most of my stuff."

Definitely a (near) quote of the Tick.

Thank you Rich!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Speaking of cross hatching on their sprites after they finish a Tomb-crawl, has there been a single one yet on the MITD's umbrella? He (O-Chul calls him, "a good man") did get jacked up after Girard's Gate exploded, so it's possible to damage his umbrella. At least the one pre-art upgrade.

But AFAIK, and am willing to check, he hasn't been touched yet. Just what is his DR?! Or does he just have Fast Healing out the wazoo?
    Lately I've been thinking the MiTD is a greater dread gazebo. The umbrella suggests to me that the MitD is an immature greater dread gazebo. The outer shell/skin/scales has/have yet to fully harden.

Another possibility is that of a greater dread Diva. The umbrella then being a plot device to keep the Diva's true identity secret until exactly the right moment.

Now a Greater Dread Diva Gazebo is a truly terrifying foe, known to even take out powerful starships.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dilvish View Post
    Now a Greater Dread Diva Gazebo is a truly terrifying foe, known to even take out powerful starships.
    They only ever do it in self-defence though, if the starship is stupid enough to ram one of them.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

So in the first page of this book, we get that awesome Dutch angle. And now we get a wide, cinematic shot for our heroes departing that reminds me of a superhero story? The art is amazing! I feel really spoiled at this end of the saga!
    "Remember, paladin: Anger leads to hate, hate leads to...fear? Or is it suffering? I can never remember how this goes."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilvish View Post
    They only ever do it in self-defence though, if the starship is stupid enough to ram one of them.
    So that's what "God" needed with a starship!
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    I don’t know but the term “Genie” being offensive sounds like Simpsons’s “living impaired” for zombies.
    "Impaired?" Bite your tongue!

Zombies are metabolically challenged.
    Last edited by mucat; 2020-05-16 at 01:32 AM.

14. - Top - End - #104

BarbarianGuy

I don't think I've ever seen the reason I play DND outside of my imagination before Giant.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I love the automatic reaction of Haley that the end of the world is the best moment ever for price gouging...

Beautiful visuals. I can almost hear the music.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by tigerusthegreat View Post
    Haley is pregnant confirmed....

but it's Belkar's because she didn't use enough protection while zooming around merging cloud stuff.
    Agreed. I noticed Hayley hadn't just introduced her gall bladder's to Elan's - she also zigged through Belkar's smoke trail a few times, so their lower parts were well acquianted.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMonk View Post
    Very nice, although all this cute and happy stuff is making me nervous about what comes next.

Minor plot hole: Roy mentions that they used Wind Walk to get into Bleedingham without proper paperwork, so the rest of the party should already be familiar with it.
    It's not a plot hole. Elan just thinks it's likely the properties of wind walk will be important to what happens next in the plot, so is feigning ignorance of the spell to make sure the readers know how it works. Durkon is playing along, and Elan couldn't be prouder of him.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ratfox View Post
    I love the automatic reaction of Haley that the end of the world is the best moment ever for price gouging...

Beautiful visuals. I can almost hear the music.
    To be fair, she's not wrong.
    If the heroes fail they won't need money anymore.
    Or anyone else for that matter.
    And when they succeed potion merchants are out of work- or at least loose their best customers.
    So why not make sure you can retire rich?
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzclowningham View Post
    Did Durkon cast it twice, or is this just a rules fudge? He'd have to be 18th level to cast it on 6 people.
    Experience he gained while a vampire, does he keep it now that he's changed back?

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by JessmanCA View Post
    Experience he gained while a vampire, does he keep it now that he's changed back?
    Vampire's have such high LA's that Greg earning levels is incredibly rare and even then getting him 5 more levels from where he started is completely and utterly impossible.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Vampire's have such high LA's that Greg earning levels is incredibly rare and even then getting him 5 more levels from where he started is completely and utterly impossible.
    Not sure what LA stands for in this context, but I'm thinking the experience would be carried over back to his dwarf experience needs, and gain a couple levels?
    Last edited by JessmanCA; 2020-05-16 at 11:13 AM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Not sure what LA stands for in this context, but I'm thinking the experience would be carried over back to his dwarf experience needs, and gain a couple levels?
    Level Adjustment. Vampires have a +8 LA, so if Betty was 2nd level, then Vampire Betty would be treated as 10th level for the purposes of gaining experience.

Vampire Durkon would have been treated somewhere past epic level, and would not have gained much, if any, experience. Even if he did, once Durkon is raised, he loses a level regardless (going by the stock rules).
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

23. - Top - End - #113
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Level Adjustment. Vampires have a +8 LA, so if Betty was 2nd level, then Vampire Betty would be treated as 10th level for the purposes of gaining experience.

Vampire Durkon would have been treated somewhere past epic level, and would not have gained much, if any, experience. Even if he did, once Durkon is raised, he loses a level regardless (going by the stock rules).
    Of course, Hilgya killed him again, so he would lose two levels. RIP Mass Death Ward.
    Spoiler: Total War
    Show

As
    The Celestial Empire of Longshan

Spoiler: Domination Victory
    Show

Equinox League

Red Aurora College - Fae of the Four Courts - Khalos Guild - Celestial Empire

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Vrock Bait View Post
    Of course, Hilgya killed him again, so he would lose two levels. RIP Mass Death Ward.
    Indeed, and that's why I added that bit about the stock rules; I don't think that was enforced, at least so far as losing two levels. Just a theory of mine, I don't really have anything to back it up with.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Durkon's more expansive Wind Walk may be due to him being a cleric of Thor? Not 3.5 RAW, but maybe Durkon took some class abilities from an obscure 3rd party sourcebook. Or maybe Durkon, after returning to life in the current era, is now a 3.5/5.0 hybrid.

He is Thor's Chosen One, as well. A little boost for the dwarf...

26. - Top - End - #116

crossing streams is probably an old experience, long left behind by the others in the party :P

I must admit that'd I wouldn't be fond of lamps or other reminders of genie-dom!

27. - Top - End - #117

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    You could start introducing OotS to your sons' friends.
    Done.

Which has gotten the boys banned from bringing the books to school: some people have a problem with the language.

That's on them, though. Not me.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

When least expected, cloud connected

29. - Top - End - #119

I'm under the impression -- from playing a much earlier version of AD&D, decades ago -- that such experience doesn't "count" because it's so antithetical to the nature of the character. I may be thinking of someone afflicted with lycanthropy, a "lapsed" paladin, or something like that.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    I'm under the impression -- from playing a much earlier version of AD&D, decades ago -- that such experience doesn't "count" because it's so antithetical to the nature of the character. I may be thinking of someone afflicted with lycanthropy, a "lapsed" paladin, or something like that.
    That does seem in the spirit of AD&D (although not 3.5e so much), but I think there's a simpler reason why Durkon wouldn't get any XP from those fights: He wasn't the one fighting. Durkon* is an entirely different character, one that Durkon was actively trying to thwart, so there's no reason Durkon should gain experience from Durkon* winning battles.

It might be quite reasonable to give Durkon XP from outwitting Durkon* from within the confines of his own mind, though. I doubt he would have gotten enough XP for it to make a difference, but hey, maybe it was a story award or something.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.