New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: OOTS #1202 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    That does seem in the spirit of AD&D (although not 3.5e so much), but I think there's a simpler reason why Durkon wouldn't get any XP from those fights: He wasn't the one fighting. Durkon* is an entirely different character, one that Durkon was actively trying to thwart, so there's no reason Durkon should gain experience from Durkon* winning battles.

It might be quite reasonable to give Durkon XP from outwitting Durkon* from within the confines of his own mind, though. I doubt he would have gotten enough XP for it to make a difference, but hey, maybe it was a story award or something.
    If you treat experience as, well, experience, then Durkon certainly experienced everything, regardless of whether he wanted to or not, or was in control or not. His actual experience would be the same as the vampire's, so in theory his XP should rise just as the vampire's does. If you want to think about it like that. If I were DMing, I'd totally allow that, but I wouldn't speak up at all I was playing and the DM chose to not.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #122
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    If you treat experience as, well, experience, then Durkon certainly experienced everything, regardless of whether he wanted to or not, or was in control or not. His actual experience would be the same as the vampire's, so in theory his XP should rise just as the vampire's does. If you want to think about it like that. If I were DMing, I'd totally allow that, but I wouldn't speak up at all I was playing and the DM chose to not.
    I was going on a rant on how XP was an abstract representation of muscle memory, but I then remembered how XP is a literal thing in OotS.

So in D&D talk, dying removes all undead-based templates and applies the petitioner template. So when he comes back, he should still have the XP because it was all earned while he had an acquired template. If you still gain XP when you become a lycanthrope in-game, I see no reason why this would be different.
    Spoiler: Total War
    Show

As
    The Celestial Empire of Longshan

Spoiler: Domination Victory
    Show

Equinox League

Red Aurora College - Fae of the Four Courts - Khalos Guild - Celestial Empire

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

It might be quite reasonable to give Durkon XP from outwitting Durkon* from within the confines of his own mind, though. I doubt he would have gotten enough XP for it to make a difference, but hey, maybe it was a story award or something.
    Durkon's efforts were a key part of defeating Durkon*, for all that they were internal. He struggled, he kept to his path and paid in pain, he learned from what he was doing. He should get at least an equal share of the XP from beating the vampires.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Marcotix View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen the reason I play DND outside of my imagination before Giant.

What is it? The fantasy of flight? Dramatic farewells? Writing messages in the sky?

Potion gouging?
    Last edited by NobleCuriosity; 2020-05-16 at 02:58 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125

Per the AD&D DMG (no bloody 2, 3, 3.5, etc.), "No experience points may be gained by a player character while in lycanthrope form." There's also stuff about losing levels and XP due to an alignment change, but that's not quite so relevant to the current case. I'm not seeing anything specifically about paladins losing those things due to alignment change, more than any other character types, though of course they lose all of the nifty paladin features.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Per the AD&D DMG (no bloody 2, 3, 3.5, etc.)
    Of course not; the blood stains mess with the ink.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

7. - Top - End - #127

EvilClericGuy

Per the AD&D DMG (no bloody 2, 3, 3.5, etc.), "No experience points may be gained by a player character while in lycanthrope form." There's also stuff about losing levels and XP due to an alignment change, but that's not quite so relevant to the current case. I'm not seeing anything specifically about paladins losing those things due to alignment change, more than any other character types, though of course they lose all of the nifty paladin features.
    You’re off by an Edition margin of two and a half.
    Spoiler: Total War
    Show

As
    The Celestial Empire of Longshan

Spoiler: Domination Victory
    Show

Equinox League

Red Aurora College - Fae of the Four Courts - Khalos Guild - Celestial Empire

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

8. - Top - End - #128

That's cool to know, but I'm not sure what AD&D has to do with Stickworld.

Conversely, "I won dungeons and dragons! And it was advanced!"

9. - Top - End - #129

That's cool to know, but I'm not sure what AD&D has to do with Stickworld.
    Just bringing it up for the sake of argument. Is there something comparable in 3.5 regarding not earning XP while in such a state?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Windscion View Post
    Just now noticed the misnumbering? Guess he really doesn't read the fora.
    Looks like Blackwing will not have fond memories of the Mechane

Also, it occurs to me that they could, in theory, be mistaken for mist-form vampires. But I'm sure no such wacky hijinks will occur. What are the rules for vamps misting in 3.5? I'm certain this was discussed relatively recently.
    i'm sad he didn't label this one as 1201 for the lulz.
    my avatar is my gaian avatar, it changes whenever i change on gaia.

^ help the order of the stick wiki out? ^

RIP grandmom 1931-2020 T_T
    RIP rocky the pug 2012-2022...

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Just bringing it up for the sake of argument. Is there something comparable in 3.5 regarding not earning XP while in such a state?
    No. Of course, 3.5 is particularly noncommittal about unusual cases of gaining experience in general, so this is hardly surprising....
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

That does seem in the spirit of AD&D (although not 3.5e so much), but I think there's a simpler reason why Durkon wouldn't get any XP from those fights: He wasn't the one fighting. Durkon* is an entirely different character, one that Durkon was actively trying to thwart, so there's no reason Durkon should gain experience from Durkon* winning battles.

Durkon absorbed the vampire’s memory after his death, remember? Since he literally got the vampire’s experience, he should also have his experience points.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

Level Adjustment. Vampires have a +8 LA, so if Betty was 2nd level, then Vampire Betty would be treated as 10th level for the purposes of gaining experience.

Vampire Durkon would have been treated somewhere past epic level, and would not have gained much, if any, experience. Even if he did, once Durkon is raised, he loses a level regardless (going by the stock rules).
    If Betty was level 2 she would be a vampire spawn. I am fun at parties!
    I should get a Signature

14. - Top - End - #134

Quote Originally Posted by urbanwolf View Post
    If Betty was level 2 she would be a vampire spawn. I am fun at parties!
    You'd think so, but Betty is a Racian, a race with the Special Quality of becoming full vampires and not vampire spawns if vampirized. Booyakasha!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-05-16 at 07:48 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Durkon absorbed the vampire’s memory after his death, remember? Since he literally got the vampire’s experience, he should also have his experience points.
    I'd have to think that if this was a real RP group, this would be the tack that whoever is playing Durkon would take to get those XP.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

16. - Top - End - #136

BlackDragon

You'd think so, but Betty is a Racian, a race with the Special Quality of becoming full vampires and not vampire spawns if vampirized. Booyakasha!
    Does the Special Quality apply on energy drain as well or just the typical vampire creating blood drain?

17. - Top - End - #137

Indeed, and that's why I added that bit about the stock rules; I don't think that was enforced, at least so far as losing two levels. Just a theory of mine, I don't really have anything to back it up with.
    Considering that Roy commented (#990) that he just barely caught up to where he was before he died, the penalty for being raised from the dead appears to apply. (OTOH, there could be a house rule that less than a hour doesn't count.)

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Greg is +2 to CR, so Greg alone was worth 60% of the XP Durkon needed to level if we credit him with a solo kill.

IIRC the rulebooks indicated that dead guys still got the XP for their final battle (XP award rules mostly aren't SRD). So Durkon presumably got the XP to level (as he had some XP when he died and then defeated Greg), he then lost that level from the first raise dead, then lost a level he'd already had to the second raise dead.

19. - Top - End - #139

He’s still not level 18 though, which is how high he’d have to be to cast one Wind Walk under normal rules, which is in fact the original point of this thing.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

20. - Top - End - #140
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMonk View Post
    Very nice, although all this cute and happy stuff is making me nervous about what comes next.

Minor plot hole: Roy mentions that they used Wind Walk to get into Bleedingham without proper paperwork, so the rest of the party should already be familiar with it.
    Only Roy, Belkar, and Durkon used Wind Walk to get in to Bleedingham, the other 3 were carried in by the bounty hunters. Elan used Wind Walk to get to Greysky (which he mentions) so Haley, V, and Minrah are all doing it for the first time. That's not a plot hole at all.

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Which would be immediately removed by his death and resurrection, since that reduces your XP to half way between the levels.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Which would be immediately removed by his death and resurrection, since that reduces your XP to half way between the levels.
    If Durkon* leveled enough, that might have stuck. And I'm fairly sure that NPCs use CR; I believe Malack is implied to be a Yuan-Ti Abomination and he actually has character levels.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #143

didnt the author say like YEARS ago that the D&D rules only apply to the comic as befits the plot and any form of consistency he prefers to maintain.

if one wants to force rules on Durkon's situation then you would apply it as you normally did. Durkon died, he was brought back, so he's Ish about where he was when he died minus a level (unless that was true resurrection).

-------------

Further, no i dont think Haley is doing anything to 'cover their tracks' its a 3 panel joke dedicated to a bait and switch. Elan is excited by the windwalk spell. Thus the first panel shows him zig zagging again like he did with durkon. the 2nd panel devoted to him doing it alot more leads one to think that one of the others will comment on it.

and bamf it turns out its NOT elan , but 'haha' one of the other members is feeling a bit childish and having fun with the spell.

-------
    Durkon telling the others they will look like clouds is one of those "The author is telling you up front facts, so there is no ambiguity, through the reasonable actions of their characters" its entirely possible for practiced casters to figure this out, however it would be do to Redcloak noticing a Fog bank approaching despite the lack of humidity or counter to the current wind. The clear outline of the party is for our benefit (and required to complete the joke), in the same way, as someone pointed out on the first page, that the invisibility lines are there.
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cerlis View Post
    The clear outline of the party is for our benefit (and required to complete the joke), in the same way, as someone pointed out on the first page, that the invisibility lines are there.
    that's how I see it ...
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

25. - Top - End - #145
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Speaking of cross hatching on their sprites after they finish a Tomb-crawl, has there been a single one yet on the MITD's umbrella? He (O-Chul calls him, "a good man") did get jacked up after Girard's Gate exploded, so it's possible to damage his umbrella. At least the one pre-art upgrade.

But AFAIK, and am willing to check, he hasn't been touched yet. Just what is his DR?! Or does he just have Fast Healing out the wazoo?
    That’s because Redcloak and Xykon don’t let him fight. He’s their secret weapon that they hold back until they need him. That one time he got damaged was from an explosion, not active combat.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

"People of Vapor"? Priceless. Also liked skosh vs smidge, and Blackwings general opinion of the Mechane.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    That's Andi. I'm pretty sure she's still all kinds of resentful for the Order helping thwart her short-lived mutiny, and thus doesn't want to bother seeing them off as she goes about her duties.
    But the Order didn't help thwart her mutiny. They didn't even know about it.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Colossus in the Playground

True - but I can believe that she still resents the Order, because they are the ones whose mission Bandana was facilitating.

I can believe that in Andi's mind "If it wasn't for them, the situation which resulted in me mutinying, would never have happened".

Andi's not the only one with a slight frown here though - Kwesi (the one with the pink hair) is too.

Possibly Kwesi is one of the junior engineers, given that she's the one checking the engines and fuel?

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1065.html

If so, this might be why she was quick to accept Andi's claiming the leadership:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1064.html

because she's always been in Andi's department.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Andi's not the only one with a slight frown here though - Kwesi (the one with the pink hair) is too.
    Probably because she isn't frowning. Her facial expression is the exact same neutral expression every character has by default.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

30. - Top - End - #150

Lizardfolk

Well that was hilarious.
    "Good luck saving the world, it's where I keep most of my stuff." I swear I've heard something like that somewhere, can't put my finger on where though...
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.