New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1202 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    "Good luck saving the world, it's where I keep most of my stuff." I swear I've heard something like that somewhere, can't put my finger on where though...
    "Have fun storming the castle!"

"You think it'll work?"

"It'd take a miracle."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    So that's what "God" needed with a starship!
    Necrocomicon and Rizzer, thank you both for the mental images.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    "Have fun storming the castle!"

"You think it'll work?"

"It'd take a miracle."
    I see you are a muppet of culture and taste.

On a more serious note, I do think it is interesting that Haley is hugging the woman in the polka-dot headscarf, as she was the one who trained Haley in knife-fighting, and she was also the one who helped Julio train Elan as a Dashing Swordsman. I also liked that Elan is shaking Bandana's hand, because he is the member of the Order with the closest connection to the crew of the Mechane. So I thought those were some nice touches.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Is there a gender-neutral version of "lads and lasses?" I've heard "gentlefolk" as a gender-neutral "ladies and gentlemen" (and the first time I heard it was from another webcomic.) But I don't know about "lads" or "lasses."
    I don't know about "lads and lasses", but a modern (somewhat informal) alternative to "ladies and gentlemen" is "guy, gals, and nonbinary pals"

5. - Top - End - #155

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    Which has gotten the boys banned from bringing the books to school: some people have a problem with the language.
    What was the problem with the language? The most possibly-school-inappropriate thing that I can think of is a few instances of "boobies" and "boobs".

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ergaster View Post
    I don't know about "lads and lasses", but a modern (somewhat informal) alternative to "ladies and gentlemen" is "guy, gals, and nonbinary pals"
    That one rolls off the tongue way better than its predecessors.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rezby View Post
    That’s because Redcloak and Xykon don’t let him fight. He’s their secret weapon that they hold back until they need him. That one time he got damaged was from an explosion, not active combat.
    'Fights tough enough that Xykon actually gets XP' doesn't really jibe with 'Fight where I can hold back party members from getting involved.' The enemy gets a vote on that. Unless you're saying they just stash the MITD at the door to that particular cavern while the rest of the party, including Greyview and Oona, duke it out with whatever inhabitants of the cavern exist.

Everybody looks beat-up when returning from those fights. Except the MITD.

8. - Top - End - #158

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    'Fights tough enough that Xykon actually gets XP' doesn't really jibe with 'Fight where I can hold back party members from getting involved.' The enemy gets a vote on that. Unless you're saying they just stash the MITD at the door to that particular cavern while the rest of the party, including Greyview and Oona, duke it out with whatever inhabitants of the cavern exist.

'Fights tough enough to destroy Xykon's body' and 'Fight where I keep my Monster in the Darkness" don't jibe very well, except well, that happened, I definitely think that Xykon takes the monster with him just in case something worth a reveal shows up, but I don't think a few monsters that Xykon might get a bit of XP off of is enough for that.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    MitD is surrounded by impenetrable darkness. He is not his umbrella - if he was ordered to participate in any of the fights, he might have dropped it, fought, then picked it back up. He himself might have been damaged or not, but we wouldn't see the marks in the darkness.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ergaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That one rolls off the tongue way better than its predecessors.
    It does, but it can get even better if you shorten it to "guys, gals and enby pals". "Enby" was created specifically for the reason that "nonbinary" is such a mouthful to say.

Nonbinary -> NB -> Enby
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2020-05-18 at 10:37 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    It does, but it can get even better if you shorten it to "guys, gals and enby pals". "Enby" was created specifically for the reason that "nonbinary" is such a mouthful to say.

Nonbinary -> NB -> Enby
    It works fine if your audience can reasonably be expected to all be familiar with the term. The first time I encountered it, it was in text, and I had to spend a couple of minutes looking it up. If one's first encounter is spoken, it's going to be confusing, especially if there's possible uncertainty regarding "en"/"em", "bee"/"pee", etc.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    'Fights tough enough to destroy Xykon's body' and 'Fight where I keep my Monster in the Darkness" don't jibe very well, except well, that happened, I definitely think that Xykon takes the monster with him just in case something worth a reveal shows up, but I don't think a few monsters that Xykon might get a bit of XP off of is enough for that.
    'Plot needs' get to bat last. We all know the story doesn't run by the strict rules of 3.5, and it is much better for it. Dorukan's Dungeon ended in a far more entertaining fashion than Xykon simply Meteor Storming the Order---as strict adherence to the rules would have made extremely likely---once it was apparent they weren't going to bypass that Glyph or Rune for him.

I thought that Xykon was at sufficiently high level, and then there's his high level adjustment template to boot, that he basically never gets additional experience unless he's fighting things like Demigods or Great Wyrms or the like. (Poor Shelby). Foes like those tend to have very broad, wide-ranging ways to cause heavy damage, hence all of the dings and dents on the party when they return from one of the caverns.

Except for the MITD. It just seems odd he's never even scratched, unless he's got truly amazing DR and coupled with a fairly high healing rate.

We'll know why when he steps out of the Darkness, I guess.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

It works fine if your audience can reasonably be expected to all be familiar with the term. The first time I encountered it, it was in text, and I had to spend a couple of minutes looking it up. If one's first encounter is spoken, it's going to be confusing, especially if there's possible uncertainty regarding "en"/"em", "bee"/"pee", etc.
    I’d like to meet the person who thinks anyone who introduce a subject by saying ‘guys, gals and military police pals’.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

14. - Top - End - #164

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I’d like to meet the person who thinks anyone who introduce a subject by saying ‘guys, gals and military police pals’.
    I could see Hawkeye Pierce doing that.

15. - Top - End - #165

MP is also Member of Parliament, plus maybe a dozen other things. And the sound can also be rendered MB, MD, ND, ME, NE, NP, MT and NT, depending on enunciation.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I don’t know who that is but they sound interesting.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

17. - Top - End - #167

One of the main characters from M*A*S*H. He's a sexist alcoholic hypocrite who spends pretty much the entire series thumbing his nose at anything resembling authority, secure in the knowledge that as a main character he's immune to consequences.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Barbarian in the Playground

That's quite the maverick take on Hawkeye. Not unfair, but certainly unusual.

I favor "comrades and gentlefolk" as a "ladies and gentlemen" replacement, but if I were being informal I can't imagine wasting breath on any variation of "guys and gals" when I could just say "y'all."

Or I suppose "all y'all" for a Southern audience, since the Southern y'all is singular (in contrast to the Midwest plural y'all I grew up with).
    Last edited by Sindeloke; 2020-05-18 at 12:31 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    One of the main characters from M*A*S*H. He's a sexist alcoholic hypocrite who spends pretty much the entire series thumbing his nose at anything resembling authority, secure in the knowledge that as a main character he's immune to consequences.
    He wasn't too terribly hypocritical that I recall. He didn't disrespect authority so much as he disrespected army authority, given that he was there completely against his will and also wholly opposed to the war (and killing in general). Sexist and alcoholic, yes, and those largely do to being a product of its time (I haven't read the book or seen the movie, but the TV version was at least adamantly and ferociously against racism, and even had a fair amount of tolerance for gay men, which was far beyond what one could expect of a character in the 70's portraying a character in the 50's, at least from what I understand).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sindeloke View Post
    That's quite the maverick take on Hawkeye. Not unfair, but certainly unusual.

I favor "comrades and gentlefolk" as a "ladies and gentlemen" replacement, but if I were being informal I can't imagine wasting breath on any variation of "guys and gals" when I could just say "y'all."

Or I suppose "all y'all" for a Southern audience, since the Southern y'all is singular (in contrast to the Midwest plural y'all I grew up with).
    "Y'all" is for smaller groups. "All y'all" is for larger groups.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-05-18 at 12:37 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ettin in the Playground

True, but if you are Enby then you most likely know what it means, and if you aren't then it doesn't matter anyway since you fit into the other 2 categories. Most people will just assume it's an inside joke they dont understand.

What was the problem with the language? The most possibly-school-inappropriate thing that I can think of is a few instances of "boobies" and "boobs".
    My kids are 7 and 9 and they are reading the books right now for the first time, and i absolutely would ask another parent before showing it to their kids. Besides "boobs" Haley also sometimes says another "b word" that this forum censors that many parents might find inappropriate for kids that age. And even if you look past the language, there is quite a few sexually suggestive remarks (Sabine sleeping with 5 people in 3 hours, Belkar looking up Tsusiko's skirt, and a decent amount of sexual activity) and a LOT of the glorification of violence (mainly by Belkar, but some others as well).

If this was a movie, it would be solidly rated PG-13. I'm ok with my kids reading it, but i know a lot of parents of their classmates wouldn't be.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2020-05-18 at 12:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171

True, but if you are Enby then you most likely know what it means, and if you aren't then it doesn't matter anyway since you fit into the other 2 categories. Most people will just assume it's an inside joke they dont understand.

My kids are 7 and 9 and they are reading the books right now for the first time, and i absolutely would ask another parent before showing it to their kids. Besides "boobs" Haley also sometimes says a "b word" that this forum censors that many parents might find inappropriate for kids that age. And even if you look past the language, there is quite a few sexually suggestive remarks (Sabine sleeping with 5 people in 3 hours, Belkar looking up Tsusiko's skirt, and a decent amount of sexual activity) and a LOT of the glorification of violence (mainly by Belkar, but some others as well).

If this was a movie, it would be solidly rated PG-13. I'm ok with my kids reading it, but i know a lot of parents of their classmates wouldn't be.
    I don't believe the forum censors "bitch".* I would agree with the PG-13 rating, though.

And the Preview Post button proves me right!

22. - Top - End - #172

He wasn't too terribly hypocritical that I recall. He didn't disrespect authority so much as he disrespected army authority, given that he was there completely against his will and also wholly opposed to the war (and killing in general). Sexist and alcoholic, yes, and those largely do to being a product of its time (I haven't read the book or seen the movie, but the TV version was at least adamantly and ferociously against racism, and even had a fair amount of tolerance for gay men, which was far beyond what one could expect of a character in the 70's portraying a character in the 50's, at least from what I understand).
    From the letters from home he was a terror in school because he refused to kowtow to teachers, principals or professors, and his attitude towards any form of elected official was worse. He even dissed that boxing champ Mulcahy idolized. And he never really showed much concern for others unless he could use it to get under Frank's skin (or Flagg, for that matter). Many of the best episodes involved somebody taking Hawkeye down a peg or three (the best perhaps being Night of the Gun, where Frank one ups the Swamp Rats because they give Radar the Innocent Until Proven Guilty treatment, but go after Frank because he's Guilty Until Proven Guilty, but the one where Margaret demands to be treated with simple respect is pretty good too).

23. - Top - End - #173

From the letters from home he was a terror in school because he refused to kowtow to teachers, principals or professors, and his attitude towards any form of elected official was worse. He even dissed that boxing champ Mulcahy idolized. And he never really showed much concern for others unless he could use it to get under Frank's skin (or Flagg, for that matter). Many of the best episodes involved somebody taking Hawkeye down a peg or three (the best perhaps being Night of the Gun, where Frank one ups the Swamp Rats because they give Radar the Innocent Until Proven Guilty treatment, but go after Frank because he's Guilty Until Proven Guilty, but the one where Margaret demands to be treated with simple respect is pretty good too).
    Yeah, he was a bit wild in academia (there was also the super early episode where he tried to help a Korean helping at the camp get into medical school in the US, and the dean he wrote said "if you do to the army what you did to this university, we're finished." Though Pierce typically doesn't mind others flaunting his authority so long as it's not during surgery/dealing with legitimate medical issues.

And I would argue the best episodes were the ones where Winchester let his armor down and showed his humanity for what it was. He's far and away my favorite character.

24. - Top - End - #174

Agreed on Winchester, with the caveat that Mulcahy had quite a few good episodes as well (in fact, I'm not sure either had a really bad episode).

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't believe the forum censors "bitch".* I would agree with the PG-13 rating, though.

And the Preview Post button proves me right!
    Huh, the more you know.

Yeah, he was a bit wild in academia (there was also the super early episode where he tried to help a Korean helping at the camp get into medical school in the US, and the dean he wrote said "if you do to the army what you did to this university, we're finished." Though Pierce typically doesn't mind others flaunting his authority so long as it's not during surgery/dealing with legitimate medical issues.

And I would argue the best episodes were the ones where Winchester let his armor down and showed his humanity for what it was. He's far and away my favorite character.

I Agree, Charles was much more interesting than Frank. I would also venture to say that BJ was better than Trapper and Colonel Potter was better than Henry Blake.

Also, for those that didn't watch Futurama, this is an excellent parody of Hawkeye: https://vimeo.com/121098214
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2020-05-18 at 01:23 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176

Agreed on Winchester, with the caveat that Mulcahy had quite a few good episodes as well (in fact, I'm not sure either had a really bad episode).
    Oh I fully agree. Frankly, my biggest issue with M*A*S*H (other than the shockingly large amount of severe sexual assault that I never thought about when I was younger) is that they kept trying to push Gary Burghoff as 19 when dude was clearly pushing 40.
    I Agree, Charles was much more interesting than Frank. I would also venture to say that BJ was better than Trapper and Colonel Potter was better than Henry Blake.
    The Charles/Frank was the biggest shift, really; Frank had absolutely no redeeming qualities, while Charles was a genuinely good person underneath the elitist attitude and snobbery, and he actually cared about helping people. Plus, he was able to edge out Pierce on the medical talent, IIRC. Though I definitely appreciated that BJ and Potter both moved away from the rampant cheating that Trapper and Blake wallowed in.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hawkeye is one of the best exemplars of Chaotic Good you'll see in pop culture, in my opinion.

Sexist? Maybe about as much as an average American male in the early 1950's? I watched the show a lot and I don't recall any time he ever dismissed a woman's ideas or point of view because of her gender. Seems that his work with the nurses certainly would teach him to respect their competence and abilities, though he is a member of a system where all the doctors are men and is clearly going to have unconscious biases.
    Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Firbolg in the Playground

I don't think Hawkeye saw MPs as a different class of being. He would probably have called out "generals" or "brass, but I probably shouldn't pronounce the 'br'".

Charles Emerson Winchester was a snob who had very little experience to tell him that his snobbery was not well justified. He was also a brilliant surgeon (if not great at working quickly), a lover of all classical music, and genuinely charitable. One of my favorites was when he gave an orphanage a box of chocolate bars and spent most of the episode enraged because they had ended up on the black market. I think the other two in the top 3 are when he finds that a case of his is a great pianist who will never play with his right hand again and when he reads someone the riot act because they are treating someone with a stutter as an idiot.

Also, where Frank mostly played the same "I am everything bad about men" tune in pretty much every episode he was in, Winchester had a more varied repertoire. I believe the first episode with Winchester ended with him playing a prank on BJ and Pierce. He certainly spent significant time being an antagonist who was no more wrong than the protagonists. Also, I don't think he ever complained about who was in charge in the OR, which was a staple of the early episodes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

The more I read y’all posts about this M*A*S*H thing, the less likely it is that it’s about cooking potatoes.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-05-18 at 02:16 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    The more I read y’all posts about this M*A*S*H thing, the less likely it is that it’s about cooking potatoes.
    It's short for "Mobile Army Surgical Hospital". Given the setting and genre, it's certainly plausible potatoes were being peeled at some point.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas