New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1202 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I've not seen either of those, but it seems to have been a common message, since that is the conclusion of Grease as well.

Grey Wolf
    I always thought Grease would have been 100x a better movie if the ending was a play on the Gift of the Magi: Sandy shows up dressed like a greaser to impress Danny, only to find that he shows up dressed like a prep boy to impress her.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Are you trying to tell me that I can't blindly believe every pop culture rumor I hear on the internet?
    If it makes you feel any better, the Alan Rickman/Hans Gruber fall was a legit surprise with the timing.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Also, Anakin Skywalker killing the younglings wasn't in the script. Hayden Christianson just walked on the set and just went to town on them. Turns out, George was filming the whole time.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-05-19 at 10:28 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

I always thought Grease would have been 100x a better movie if the ending was a play on the Gift of the Magi: Sandy shows up dressed like a greaser to impress Danny, only to find that he shows up dressed like a prep boy to impress her.
    Another vote for this.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

That's rather close to what did happen. It was a bad idea for the script to assume the audience knew "lettering in track" involves getting an award for excellence, which is quite a lot of dedication given Danny only joined the track team to impress Sandy (above his own disdain for the sport) and didn't have any idea what he was doing when he started....
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

6. - Top - End - #216

Obviously I heard a garbled version of that story. Thanks for the correction, Peelee.

And on further thought, it shows that Alda was in on it. Everyone else is stunned. Hawkeye just keeps working.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

No! That can't be! Oh, the huge manatee!

Grey Wolf
    That reminds me, did anyone ever find that hidden burg?
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Also, Anakin Skywalker killing the younglings wasn't in the script. Hayden Christianson just walked on the set and just went to town on them. Turns out, George was filming the whole time.
    I believe you mean, was not filming.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Bugbear in the Playground

Actually no movie is scripted, the director just runs around and yells at actors to make them do things, because they are the only one in movies who ever do anything.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

9. - Top - End - #219

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    What was the problem with the language? The most possibly-school-inappropriate thing that I can think of is a few instances of "boobies" and "boobs".
    That's some of it.

There's a little bit of cursing, and apparently some folks little angels would never use such language unless led astray. ASTRAY!

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not so sure that Xykon and Redcloak would just assume they're clouds rolling in. They're quite aware of high level transportation spells, and the way it's being depicted looks pretty suspicious, plus it's all being lead by a raven, and I'm SURE Xykon remembers the little punk that nearly tossed his phylactery into the dimensional rip.

Also...does Blackwing know the way to the actual gate location, due to what he saw? I don't recall that being mentioned before.

I'm not even sure what the point is in going through the correct door and risking leaving a magical trail for Xykon to follow vs. waiting to ambush Team Evil either when they emerge from a door or following after them into one and striking from behind?

They don't actually even need to ever reach the gate themselves, just defeat Xykon and Redcloak before they reach it.
    I'm guessing by sheer happenstance, they arrived on the very day Xykon finds the correct dungeon and the final battle is in front of the gate because...dramatic tension? Whatever....

Also, i love how Blackwing and Haley naturally assume the opposite ends of the spectrum in the first panel.
    While price gouging is something Haley might do herself, encouraging someone else to do it to her or her party seems pretty against her character....

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by StreamOfTheSky View Post
    Also...does Blackwing know the way to the actual gate location, due to what he saw? I don't recall that being mentioned before.
    He was in the scouting team, so he'd know the way to the same degree as anyone else could be expected to. He's also a bird and thus might not draw undue attention, although that hasn't worked out so well before.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

12. - Top - End - #222

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    He was in the scouting team, so he'd know the way to the same degree as anyone else could be expected to.
    That is to say, he knows the way to the canyon, but not which door leads to the gate.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    That is to say, he knows the way to the canyon, but not which door leads to the gate.
    Ok. The way it was presented w/ him leading, it sounded like he was able to actually lead them down the correct path or something. At least to me.

14. - Top - End - #224

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    Well that was hilarious.
    "Good luck saving the world, it's where I keep most of my stuff." I swear I've heard something like that somewhere, can't put my finger on where though...
    Perhaps a reference to The Tick animated show from the 90s?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wh2CruhrKk
    Last edited by Dion; 2020-05-20 at 12:33 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

It's actually a fairly widespread joke, that certainly pre-dates The Tick.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    That's rather close to what did happen. It was a bad idea for the script to assume the audience knew "lettering in track" involves getting an award for excellence, which is quite a lot of dedication given Danny only joined the track team to impress Sandy (above his own disdain for the sport) and didn't have any idea what he was doing when he started....
    Is there sarcasm and irony wooshing over my head? Isn't it obvious that his new sweater meant something about trying to straighten up for Sandy? Even if the audience did not understand "Lettering".

And for those who do not know, "Lettering" means that he earned a position on the varsity team so he has the right to put a large varsity letter on his jacket/sweater, the letter itself being an abbreviation for the school name. Which means he competed on the real squad (varsity squad) for the honor of the school at least once (although it is possible that the sports team had some stricter rules about competing N times on the varsity squad in order to officially be on the roster).

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by StreamOfTheSky View Post
    I'm not so sure that Xykon and Redcloak would just assume they're clouds rolling in. They're quite aware of high level transportation spells, and the way it's being depicted looks pretty suspicious, plus it's all being lead by a raven, and I'm SURE Xykon remembers the little punk that nearly tossed his phylactery into the dimensional rip.
    If Team Evil are actually out of doors when those clouds roll in, I would think it is fairly likely to go badly. Luckily, Team Evil probably spends most of their daylight hours behind doors, so it would be dumb luck (or "speed of plot") if the clouds are within their sight to be noticed.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Yeah, uh, that's... not inconspicuous at all, guys. Anyone who knows about the spell and so much as glances upwards is bound to notice them.
    "I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword. With blade in hand, I shall reap the sins of this world and cleanse it in the flames of destruction.My name is Hakumen. Your time has come!"

19. - Top - End - #229
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    Is there sarcasm and irony wooshing over my head? Isn't it obvious that his new sweater meant something about trying to straighten up for Sandy? Even if the audience did not understand "Lettering".
    Yeah, I was like 8 or 9 when I saw the movie and it was clear they both did the Gift of the Magi thing - though of course Danny goes back to being a greaser since that was so much cooler.
    Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Is there sarcasm and irony wooshing over my head?
    I don't think so. I can't see any actual point that you're disagreeing on. All agree that Danny was trying to clean up his image to be a better match for Sandy. All agree on the meaning of wearing letters. All agree that some members of the audience might not understand what letters mean. (I certainly didn't)
    -.____________________

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Yeah, uh, that's... not inconspicuous at all, guys. Anyone who knows about the spell and so much as glances upwards is bound to notice them.
    People pretty much never look upwards though.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

I've not seen either of those, but it seems to have been a common message, since that is the conclusion of Grease as well.

Grey Wolf

And for those who do not know, "Lettering" means that he earned a position on the varsity team so he has the right to put a large varsity letter on his jacket/sweater, the letter itself being an abbreviation for the school name. Which means he competed on the real squad (varsity squad) for the honor of the school at least once (although it is possible that the sports team had some stricter rules about competing N times on the varsity squad in order to officially be on the roster).
    Quote Originally Posted by PontificatusRex View Post
    Yeah, I was like 8 or 9 when I saw the movie and it was clear they both did the Gift of the Magi thing - though of course Danny goes back to being a greaser since that was so much cooler.
    No, I understand the whole letterman jacket thing. But at the end of the movie, Sandy changed her whole look. She went full greaser for Danny. Danny just threw a letterman jacket over his normal leather outfit. What I meant by "Gift of the Magi" is if Sandy wore her greaser outfit only to find Danny dressed like this:

Spoiler: Not a spoiler
    Show

(Dressed like the guy, not the girl) (Although the movie ending with Danny in a dress WOULD be pretty interesting to say the least). It would mean he changed his whole "look" to try to make her happy, just like she did to him.

I mean I still think it's a great movie. And, like MASH, it's a sign of the times in which it was made. I'm just trying to add a more "modern" twist to the end.

EDIT: I just realized we went from a TV show made in the 70s but set in the 50s to a movie made in the 70s but set in the 50s. And then there's also American Graffiti/Happy Days. Was this a whole thing or am I trying to find a pattern where none exists?
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2020-05-20 at 07:32 AM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think it is a sign of O. Henry's genius that pretty much every story would be made better by having a Gift of the Magi ending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

No, I understand the whole letterman jacket thing. But at the end of the movie, Sandy changed her whole look. She went full greaser for Danny. Danny just threw a letterman jacket over his normal leather outfit.
    And the jacket was abandoned as soon as Sandy changed. By the end scene, he is back in all-black, while she is... in all black. She changed, he did not.

EDIT: I just realized we went from a TV show made in the 70s but set in the 50s to a movie made in the 70s but set in the 50s. And then there's also American Graffiti/Happy Days. Was this a whole thing or am I trying to find a pattern where none exists?
    No, it is pretty standard nostalgia pull, hankering to the target audience's vague memories of how the world was back when they were kids, and that tends to work out to about 20/30 years prior to the time the movie is being made. It's always been done - these days, it is the resurrection of IPs from the 80s and 90s.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-05-20 at 07:45 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I think it is a sign of O. Henry's genius that pretty much every story would be made better by having a Gift of the Magi ending.
    Frodo brings the Ring to Mordor only to find that Sauron somehow moved the volcano to Eriador to make it easier to destroy the Ring.

And the jacket was abandoned as soon as Sandy changed. By the end scene, he is back in all-black, while she is... in all black. She changed, he did not.
    So, in this situation, the girl does everything she can do while the guy does the bare minimum. Maybe it is realistic after all. My wife would say so anyway.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2020-05-20 at 07:56 AM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

As others have said, it really is supposed to be. It's just so poorly executed that it fails. Even if you know what a lettereman's sweater is (and I've encountered plenty of commentators who clearly didn't), Danny's change only gets pointed out a few lines of dialogue and he ditches it at the first opportunity. Sandy gets a whole freaking musical number.

Of course, Grease wasn't exactly great storytelling up to that point either, but even by its own modest standards, it tanks the ending.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

About 20 years since I saw the film, but isn't a large part of the plot concerned with Danny trying various new things in order to change his image? And then Sandy changes her image, and they meet half way.
    -.____________________

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    About 20 years since I saw the film, but isn't a large part of the plot concerned with Danny trying various new things in order to change his image? And then Sandy changes her image, and they meet half way.
    I haven't watched it in about that much time either, but IIRC, Danny either pretended to be a good guy over the summer to bag Sandy, or that's his real persona and he puts on a front for his friends. Then we spend the whole film with Danny assuring his friends he is still cool, while trying to convince Sandy he is better that way. Then, at the very end, he changes a bit to match what Sandy wants, it turns out she changed to be like him, so he abandons his change and they both ride into the sunset in the car that defines his "cool rebel" personality.

It is, in short, a prototypical American film. But it does have catchy tunes and since it is a musical, that is all that really matters. Like with opera before it, the plot is mostly incidental. It'd be like complaining about the lack of depth and terrible message of The Magic Flute or The Barber of Seville or Carmen. You'd be kinda missing the point.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-05-20 at 10:33 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

29. - Top - End - #239

A pattern? There's no such thing. Just ignore The Wonder Years, That 70's Show, The Goldbergs...

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    People pretty much never look upwards though.
    Pilots do. People who ride flying mounts might be like pilots in that regard. Which is all I was trying to say about Oona.