New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Rise of the Boy Band Edgelord: Help me build Prince Noctis

Been getting into playing FF15 a lot. Too much maybe.

Have been talking with some friends about running a Mary Sue / Themed Characters one shot lately.
    Starting level would be around 10 and end at 12.

So I want to go back to my 80/ 90s roots and build a dark leather clad, angsty teen based off Prince Noctis from FF15.

Key features:
    Races: Human is ok, but I know his bloodline is part of his powers so there may be some wiggle room like Half Drow or something.

Needs to be able to teleport.
    Needs to be able to summon a weapon to his hand.
    Needs to look good in a leather jacket.
    Needs a spell / weapon set that approximates the Arminger (A ring of floating crystal weapons that he can grab or hurl at his foes with varying degrees of power / effect).
    Needs to be able to brood effectively.
    Potentially the ability to call for Divine Intervention to represent the Summons but that feels like a very minor necessity, compared to above.

Sadly, will not be accompanied by Galdio, Prompto, or Ignis. He’a gotta solo this one.

Warlock or Horizon Walker seems like the best choices, it is just pitting something together that flows right that seems like the challenge.

Mostly brainstorming but wanted to see if fellow forumites had any ideas or direction changes to take the character.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Boy Band Edgelord: Help me build Prince Noctis

I assume you are one Player in this game, and not a DM working on a nemesis for the Party?

Teleport could just be the Eladrin racial Feystep. Make them Winter for extra edge. Though the spell Far Step should work too. I think the spell Blink might be vaguely relevant too. Could be a Sword/Valor Bard with your Magical Secrets being such spells.

Teleporting Weapon could be from Blade Pact, Eldritch Knight, the UA Soulknife, or the spell Shadow Blade.

Leather jacket could be the result of glamoured armor, or mage armor and just dressing to kill.

I would probably just reflavor various spells as the Arminger thing. Like Ice Knife. But I’m not familiar with the FF series, so I think this ends my help.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The closest you could get to emulating his powers would probably be combination of Hexblade and Divine Sorcerer, maybe with some Paladin thrown in there too but it's not necessary. You might struggle to fit it all in with just 10 levels though. Noble Background is a must!

Needs to be able to teleport. - Both Hexblade and Sorcerer get this at level 3, Dimension door at 7

Needs to be able to summon a weapon to his hand. - Hexblade works best for this, and Spiritual Weapon helps, as does Ice Knife

Needs to look good in a leather jacket. - Mage Armor should be fine for this, or the Warlocks Light Armor

Needs a spell / weapon set that approximates the Arminger (A ring of floating crystal weapons that he can grab or hurl at his foes with varying degrees of power / effect). - Spirit Guardians is the easiest way to emulate this, later Animate Objects.

Needs to be able to brood effectively. - Charisma focus really helps with this.

By doing 5/5 you get most of the important parts and 2 attacks, and can get 4th level spells including Dimension Door at level 12.

Doing 7/3, then 7/5 would delay Spirit Guardians until level 12, but let you grab Relentless Hex, for semi-at will combat teleporting.

Doing Warlock 3/ Sorcerer 17 would get you Gate at level 20, which is one of the only reasonably RAW ways to summon godlike monsters, which the FFXV summons are.

As mentioned above me, Blink and Far Step are good spells to look at, as is Mirror Image.
    Last edited by NorthernPhoenix; 2020-05-15 at 12:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Hexblade Warlock 3 / Eldritch Knight 7 is my suggestion. Race can be Eladrin so you get Fey Step to teleport once per short rest for free. You'll have Weapon Bond with up to two weapons from EK level 3 and then War Magic to let you sling a cantrip and make weapon attacks in one turn. EK 7 also nets you two ABIs and Extra Attack. For Warlock, you want the Pact of the Blade from level 3 so you get a third weapon in your extradimensional pocket. Hexblade will also let you use Charisma as the attack/damage mod for the pact weapon, so you should probably choose something like a spear or greatsword there and build your character to be Dex/Charisma and forgo Strength. Instead of armor, you can just wear your edgy black designer clothing and cast Mage Armor for free with the Armor of Shadows eldritch invocation. The second invocation I'd suggest is Improved Pact Weapon, which will make your pact weapon a little stronger.

This should give you a significant arsenal of spells to emulate the magic from FFXV and let you hot-swap between weapons and stay pretty melee-focused. I suggest going Dex/Charisma/Int to get the most out of it in melee.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

War Domain Cleric would give you armor and weapons, magical smiting, spirit guardians (for "summons") and literal divine intervention at level 10 (where you're starting). Make him an Eladrin of the Winter Court for the "pale beauty" and the ability to teleport at least once per short rest. I think the winter court version of the teleport creates a fear effect, too.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Thanks guys.
    To answer one if the earlier posts: will be playing, not running. Although it would thematic in a Mary Sue game to have multiple GM NPCs....

So far we have: Prince Noctis, Trevor Belmont, Hermoine Granger, and Pinkie Pie.
    Possibly Aragorn, and Frank Galgher (Shameless) as well.

Some kind of Worlds Collide / Smash bros type plot.