New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: 5e Throwdowns #2: Judgement Day, aka the terminator!

Quote Originally Posted by N7Paladin View Post
    snipped for length
    Thank you for the summary (I don't want to get into it, but tend to agree with it) and break down of the hit point range amongst the submitted builds.

As for the thread as a whole:

Anyone that hasn't voted yet I'd like to remind of the suggested way of voting (quoting the build you want to vote for, snipping the content, and making it clear in text that it has your support). There's already a bit of a mixed bag in terms of build formatting but murky votes is a bigger issue. It doesn't take long to do but makes it a lot easier for me to count the votes accurately and may become a requirement of voting if most people don't follow it.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    How tough to kill are you really if your team crumbles around you? In my ethos, a tank does not meekly stand by, confident in their personal turtle shell, waiting for the other 3/4s of their party’s action economy to die off. Thus, I have aimed not only to become very durable, but also to become the character who must die first in order to make anything stick to any of my allies. The unselfish terminator who shares their terminator-ness.

To that end, I give you the everhealing juggernaut and high priest of Cyttorak, the Regenerator! Nobody in the party dies until you do, and you... just… won’t... die!

The Regenerator

Shouting "LIVE, INSECT" when healing allies is optional.
    I appreciate the unique approach, and I have a soft spot for the Cleric. Not to mention I like the team-focus aspect.

This one gets my vote.
    Spreading noble, cheerful insanity since [BIRTH DATE REDACTED]. Responds to Aureus, Mr. Fulgens, and Brightlord Radiant. Is all three of the Fey Spirits from Tasha's.

Things I've worked on:
    Comprehensive DPR Calculator v2.0 (with LudicSavant)

My expansive and highly professional homebrew portfolio currently contains:
    Art Cleric
    Lanayru Marsh Druid

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HPisBS View Post
    T-44: Tank
    Has my vote: AC, HP, Saves, at 0 protections, ways to deal with statuses and and spammable temp hp hits pretty much every box I can think of and tried to hit with my own build.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

To all build contestants interested I am considering running a limited number of the candidates through a a simulated adventuring day to see how they hold up in pseudo play. This will involve 6 encounters with 2 short rests against different enemies. There will be no damage done to the enemies, damage will just be calculated against your builds for at least 3 rounds (the average) with at least two encounters lasting longer. Encounter difficulty will lean towards deadly for hopefully obvious reasons.

All those interested please PM me, no more than one build per person will be considered for simulation.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

What are you proposing, exactly? To get together on Roll20 or whatever and play through a few rounds?
    Last edited by HPisBS; 2020-05-23 at 11:20 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

What are you proposing exactly? That we get together on Roll20 or whatever and play through a few rounds?
    My initial idea was to construct 6 hard/deadly encounters with a short rest between each two encounters. Then have whatever that encounter is try and wail on each build for an average of 3 rounds (at least two for a little longer), the build's resources will be used entirely defensively and just have to survive all of the encounters.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

-snip-
    Regardless of voting outcome, you should put this in your ECoFEB thread.

8. - Top - End - #128

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    My initial idea was to construct 6 hard/deadly encounters with a short rest between each two encounters. Then have whatever that encounter is try and wail on each build for an average of 3 rounds (at least two for a little longer), the build's resources will be used entirely defensively and just have to survive all of the encounters.
    Sure, please do. Resilient Sphere and counterspell ought to take you far :) many monsters with dispel magic will be a problem.

@total hp: can you share the whole comparison in depth? It sounds like a great piece of work. How did you count stuff like regenerate?
    Last edited by Skylivedk; 2020-05-24 at 04:44 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skylivedk View Post
    Sure, please do. Resilient Sphere and counterspell ought to take you far :)

@total hp: can you share the whole comparison in depth? It sounds like a great piece of work. How did you count stuff like regenerate?
    I'm confused, you mean to use those spells against the builds?

...is this even meant for me?
    Last edited by Dork_Forge; 2020-05-24 at 04:50 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130

ElfRangerGuy

I'm confused, you mean to use those spells against the builds?

...is this even meant for me?
    No for when you run SkyNet through
    I might attack your points aggressively: nothing personal. If I call out a fallacy in your argumentation, it doesn't mean I think you are arguing in bad faith. I invite you to call out if I somehow fail to live by the Twelve Virtues of Rationality.

My favourite D&D session had 3 dice rolls. I'm currently curious to any system that has a higher amount of choices in and out of combat than 5e from the beginning of the game; especially for non-spellcasters. Please PM any recommendations.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

The Simulation is now full, the following builds will be run through the gauntlet:

• HPisBS' T-44 Tank
    • SociopathFriend's The Resistant
    • Waazraath's Trixie and her loyal Canis Terminus
    • My own The Wolverine (T-1000)
    • Dualswinger's Celestial Glowman
    • LudicSavant's The Regenerator
    • Skylivedk's Skynet

If anyone would like to control their own builds in the simulation please PM me, if someone would be interested in controlling a build that the submitter is not controlling then also please contact me.
    Last edited by Dork_Forge; 2020-05-24 at 12:03 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132

The Simulation is now full, the following builds will be run through the gauntlet:

• HPisBS' T-44 Tank
    • SociopathFriend's The Resistant
    • Waazraath's Trixie and her loyal Canis Terminus
    • My own The Wolverine (T-1000)
    • Dualswinger's Celestial Glowman
    • LudicSavant's The Regenerator
    • Skylivedk's Skynet

Huh, well I don't expect a victory but nonetheless am interested in how it ends up comparing.
    It's time for a preemptive retaliatory strike.

Original online work - I've Been Reborn as a Dungeon Monster?
    Tvtropes

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SociopathFriend View Post
    Huh, well I don't expect a victory but nonetheless am interested in how it ends up comparing.
    Your guy was nominated, if you want to control them throughout the Gauntlet then please just let me know, otherwise any tips for how you'd go through your resources would be appreciated so we can capture what you intended most accurately.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Halfling in the Playground

Now, here's one that just doesn't get hurt in the first place - a literal walking tank - complete with multiple "guns:"

T-44: Tank

Level 20 split: Artillerist Artificer 20

Race: Warforged

Stats: Str 12, Dex 14, Con 10 (12) →19 via infusion, Int 15 (16) → 20, Wis 11→12, Cha 10
    My vote is for the T-44; a very nice, refined, and well-thoughtout build.

-----

@Sociopathfriend, I enjoyed looking over your Paladin multiclass and it's very tempting to use it in a campaign I've got coming I hope that's okay

I look forward to seeing how it does in the simulation
    Last edited by N7Paladin; 2020-05-24 at 12:10 PM.
    For free sketches: click here

Why do players who mostly play Wizards have a superiority complex? Who hurt you? Did the martial classes touch your no-no place?

15. - Top - End - #135
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

-snip-
    Has my vote. Always cool to see an unconventional, effective approach to the premise of the contest.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

To all build contestants interested I am considering running a limited number of the candidates through a a simulated adventuring day to see how they hold up in pseudo play. This will involve 6 encounters with 2 short rests against different enemies. There will be no damage done to the enemies, damage will just be calculated against your builds for at least 3 rounds (the average) with at least two encounters lasting longer. Encounter difficulty will lean towards deadly for hopefully obvious reasons.

All those interested please PM me, no more than one build per person will be considered for simulation.
    Sorry, is this a sideshow or are you saying this will somehow affect the outcome of the contest? Will our votes no longer determine the winner?

Also, what exactly is happening in these simulated encounters? Are you going to have every enemy attack target a random PC?

17. - Top - End - #137

Quote Originally Posted by Dagda Mor View Post
    Sorry, is this a sideshow or are you saying this will somehow affect the outcome of the contest? Will our votes no longer determine the winner?

Also, what exactly is happening in these simulated encounters? Are you going to have every enemy attack target a random PC?
    It seems to be a bunch of "deadly encounters" where 1 or more powerful enemies unload on each solo entry. No entry build will have allies to rely on. No entry will even fight back -- only defend for a few rounds. Then, rinse and repeat with new opposition for the entry to withstand, with nothing but a short rest after every other encounter.

(I guess the opposition just... gets tired of throwing everything they have at the character when they realize they aren't landing enough serious damage on it or something lol)
    Last edited by HPisBS; 2020-05-24 at 03:39 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138

Well, I can't vote for the T-44: Tank since it's mine, so I guess I'll just have to officially vote for the Moon Druid. Mainly because it takes special tools to bring down -- tools which half-casters like the Artificer ironically lack.

Quote Originally Posted by sithlordnergal View Post
    Just a Moon Druid

Level 20 level split: Circle of the Moon Druid: 20

Race: Yuan-Ti
    Last edited by HPisBS; 2020-05-24 at 03:53 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

Your guy was nominated, if you want to control them throughout the Gauntlet then please just let me know, otherwise any tips for how you'd go through your resources would be appreciated so we can capture what you intended most accurately.
    I was? Oh, must've missed that.

I intended to be a walking middle finger to magic and Saving Throws.
    Your Spell Slots are never used for Smites. Defensive or Healing Spells are the name of the game.
    Death Ward, Remove Curse, Lesser Restoration, Aid, Stoneskin*, Aura of Life, Cure Wounds, Shield of Faith, these are your Spells that will serve you well.
    If you took Arcane Trickster then you can viably add Shield or Absorb Elements though the latter should only be used in scenarios your normal methods for Resistance will not suffice.

Make sure you don't use your Death Ward and Undying Sentinel at the same time. You explicitly get to choose whether you use the latter or not. You get at least two mulligans so make good use of them.

You've an automatic magic weapon, a gold hunk of hit points you can replenish, resistance you can apply to almost anything, conditional mobility to get out of being surrounded (Cunning Action, Misty Step*) and you're extremely difficult to incapacitate with magic.
    Slow and steady wins the race.

*Oath of Ancient spells do not need to be prepared like the others.
    Last edited by SociopathFriend; 2020-05-24 at 05:41 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Voting is now closed

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by Dagda Mor View Post

I think it's more to see reality vs voted reality if that makes sense.
    Your votes would still determine the winner but there's going to be a sort of, "Hard data" run to see which ones held up best.

That or Dark_Forge wants to steal all the builds for a campaign and so solicited us to provide ideas and now he's going to test them himself against what he plans to run up against.
    Last edited by SociopathFriend; 2020-05-24 at 10:38 PM.

Tvtropes

22. - Top - End - #142

Imagine your group playing the typical hodgepodge of adventurers, and then you come up against a lone humanoid figure that you apparently just can't scratch, like the Tank... or even that you can hurt, but that just heals right back up on its next turn while still attacking you like the Wolverine.

Yikes.
    Last edited by HPisBS; 2020-05-24 at 10:28 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143

Imagine your group playing the typical hodgepodge of adventurers, and then you come up against a lone humanoid figure that you apparently just can't scratch, like the Tank... or even that you can hurt, but that just heals right back up on its next turn while still attacking you like the Wolverine.

Yikes.
    I'm more imagining an entire party comprised of these builds and how the DM would need to bring some fairly potent firepower to possibly lay them all out since many of these builds would also be fairly good at helping allies recover.

I know one of my DMs didn't have a fit but rather was clearly happy/infuriated at how a Life Cleric in the last campaign I was in provided just so much healing that most of the party was playing horribly but was just tanking the hp loss via attrition.

Granted we still had like half the party killed but it very easily could've been either a TPK or close to it.
    Last edited by SociopathFriend; 2020-05-24 at 10:44 PM.

Tvtropes

24. - Top - End - #144

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SociopathFriend View Post
    I think it's more to see reality vs voted reality if that makes sense.
    Your votes would still determine the winner but there's going to be a sort of, "Hard data" run to see which ones held up best.

That or Dark_Forge wants to steal all the builds for a campaign and so solicited us to provide ideas and now he's going to test them himself against what he plans to run up against.
    There is no spoon nor reality in magic elf games. We are kidding ourselves if we take 6 random generated encounters played by one person to be any objective measure of these builds. I find it a fun test, but minor variables can have huge consequences: encounter type (mindflayers wreck one build and barlguras wreck another), sequencing of the encounters, start range, initiative counts, pre-buffs, terrain, level of preparation, flee range (when have you done too much avoidance) etc.

T-44 Tank (really messes with me that there's two T-44s) is a fantastic tank. It gets stopped fairly easily with Walls, Forcecage etc.

I also really like the Caster's Bane, and I think it gets less votes due to it being a disliked combination of classes.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the next Throwdown and be inspired :)
    I might attack your points aggressively: nothing personal. If I call out a fallacy in your argumentation, it doesn't mean I think you are arguing in bad faith. I invite you to call out if I somehow fail to live by the Twelve Virtues of Rationality.

My favourite D&D session had 3 dice rolls. I'm currently curious to any system that has a higher amount of choices in and out of combat than 5e from the beginning of the game; especially for non-spellcasters. Please PM any recommendations.

25. - Top - End - #145

Quote Originally Posted by Skylivedk View Post
    T-44 Tank (really messes with me that there's two T-44s) is a fantastic tank. It gets stopped fairly easily with Walls, Forcecage etc.
    Stopped =/= Killed. Not even hurt.

Just... delayed.
    Last edited by HPisBS; 2020-05-25 at 11:01 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Firbolg in the Playground

Stopped =/= Killed. Not even hurt.

Just... delayed.
    How would it deal with the "Dragon Cooker" Skylivedk mentioned, e.g. 10 minute AoE + Forcecage? Prior to level 20 / Soul of Artifice.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2020-05-25 at 11:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

27. - Top - End - #147

Dispel Magic on the AoE DOT.

As for Sickening Radiance, specifically, it relies on Con Saves. Prior to lvl 20, Con Saves are up to +12. At lvl 20, it's a full +18, making it literally impossible to fail unless the caster has an item like the Robe of the Archmagi to raise the DC above 19.
    Last edited by HPisBS; 2020-05-25 at 11:34 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148

I don't have the time to play through myself as we're remodeling but I definitely look forwards to seeing how the 'gauntlet simulation' so to speak goes.

Tvtropes

29. - Top - End - #149
    Firbolg in the Playground

Dispel Magic on the AoE DOT.
    Yep, sounds about right. I'd do the same (either that or teleport out).

Globe of Invulnerability
    Where are you getting GoI from?
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2020-05-25 at 12:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProsecutorGodot
    If statistics are the concern for game balance I can't think of a more worthwhile person for you to discuss it with, LudicSavant has provided this forum some of the single most useful tools in probability calculations and is a consistent source of sanity checking for this sort of thing.
    An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | Monster Resistance Data

Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

30. - Top - End - #150

Where are you getting GoI from?
    Whoops. Resilient Sphere.

(It was correct in the 4th level spell mentions, but I misremembered in the summary.)
    Last edited by HPisBS; 2020-05-25 at 12:24 PM.