New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default What is the name of this film ?

I saw this when I was pretty young (so at least 35 years ago) on TV and it stuck with me, probably because foreign films were pretty rare at the time.
    I'm pretty sure its Chinese. The plot is basically the 'Seven Samurai'. Village is threatened by bandits, small band of heroes turn up to defend it. Only difference is I'm pretty sure here the heroes are actually sent by the authorities to defend the village.
    I only remember two scenes. One at the end is the (sole ?) survivor of the heroes seeing to the burial of his comrades. The other is a banquet between the heroes and the bandits where the two sides show off their martial prowess. One of the heroes is a monk and takes off the string of prayer beads (Mala) he's wearing, hurls it through the air and then at lightning speed plants a bunch of arrows in the wall while the Mala is in flight. Grouping them together so accurately that the mala lands on them and hangs there, like a hat on a hatstand
    Any ideas ?
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: What is the name of this film ?

Can you remember what era and region the film is set in? Your description sounds like pre- or early-industrial East Asia, but I want to be sure.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Not sure of the era. Gunpowder bombs are used as a surprise weapon by the heroes at one point with the indication they are pretty rare but I don't remember any firearms at all just swords and bows
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

If it helps, a Chinese film ~35 years ago in the UK would have been highly likely to be a HK martial arts movie.

Looking at remakes of The Seven Samurai around that time frame, I see: Seven Warriors 1989, however this is set in Warlord era China and from looking at the trailer, there's far too many guns (link).

Do you remember anything else about the movie? Do you remember if the monk was bald (ie a Shaolin monk)?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    If it helps, a Chinese film ~35 years ago in the UK would have been highly likely to be a HK martial arts movie.

Looking at remakes of The Seven Samurai around that time frame, I see: Seven Warriors 1989, however this is set in Warlord era China and from looking at the trailer, there's far too many guns (link).

Do you remember anything else about the movie? Do you remember if the monk was bald (ie a Shaolin monk)?
    Yeah not 'Seven Warriors' . That's much later historically than the one I'm thinking of.

I'm pretty sure the monk was bald and dressed in black robes.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Wildly inaccurate guess, but could it be 'Suikoden' or 'Marsh River Bandits'? You synopsis brought that title to mind. There's also a series of JRPGs based off the same story.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Could you provide a link to a description of the movie, please ? I'm just getting video games

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Could you provide a link to a description of the movie, please ? I'm just getting video games
    Honestly part of what makes my guess wildly inaccurate is that a movie of that story might not exist... I didn't check to see if there was a movie, I just swung in the dark.
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    But as we've agreed, sometimes the real power was the friends we made along the way, including the DM. I wish I could go on more articulate rants about how I'm grateful for DMs putting in the effort on a hard job even when it isn't perfect.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    I doubted it could be The Water Margin as there's typically 108 heroes, which is substantially more than 7.

There are a couple of The Water Margin adaptations, usually under one of its other titles like 'All Men Are Brothers'.

All Men Are Brothers 1972 trailer, wikipedia synopsis.

There's also a 1975 sequel under one of the novel's alternate titles: wikipedia link.

One of the actors got a 'spin off' movie with his The Water Margin character, (Tiger Killer 1983), but looking at the trailer (link) doesn't match your description. Incidentally the whole film is also on youtube, but I can't link that here.

I'm still looking into the 'monk with black robes' angle as that's unusual in my experience.

Hang on, you're not confusing the 'bald monk' with the Qing Dynasty hair queue style?

Spoiler: Qing Dynasty hair styles
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    I doubted it could be The Water Margin as there's typically 108 heroes, which is substantially more than 7.

There are a couple of The Water Margin adaptations, usually under one of its other titles like 'All Men Are Brothers'.

All Men Are Brothers 1972 trailer, wikipedia synopsis.

There's also a 1975 sequel under one of the novel's alternate titles: wikipedia link.

One of the actors got a 'spin off' movie with his The Water Margin character, (Tiger Killer 1983), but looking at the trailer (link) doesn't match your description. Incidentally the whole film is also on youtube, but I can't link that here.

I'm still looking into the 'monk with black robes' angle as that's unusual in my experience.

Hang on, you're not confusing the 'bald monk' with the Qing Dynasty hair queue style?

Spoiler: Qing Dynasty hair styles
    Show
    No its not 'All Men Are Brothers'

And as far as I remember the guy was just completely bald but ( and I know this is super unhelpful) it was a long time ago

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

have you found that movie?, please tell me which movie it is, thank you

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

It's still a mystery I'm afraid