New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Monster Hunter: Three Fighter Subclasses - Each Focused On A Weapon From The Games

Homebrewery Link
    PDF Link

As the title says, I made three subclasses based off weapons from the Monster Hunter video game series (specifically MH:World). Decorations serve as swappable ribbons.
    Document has ideas I'm already considering, but more feedback/suggestions appreciated

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Monster Hunter: Three Fighter Subclasses - Each Focused On A Weapon From The Game

These are really, really cool.

I'd say that for the Longsword subclass, I would consider limiting the spirit strikes to two to encourage agressive tactics - but that's more a personal preference. Fade Slash feels weaker than the other techniques, so what about switching it to half your movement, improved to your full movement at Level 15? Foresight Slash strikes me as a little finicky. Would you consider changing the bonus to just being Proficiency - it'd be a smidge weaker at lower levels and stronger at higher but it'd be neater. And the improvement on Helmbreaker from 3d6 to 4d8 feels kinda disconnected. What about 3d6 to 5d6 or even 6d6? Or maybe 3d6 to 3d10 or 3d12?

I feel like Sword and Shield is kinda hard to implement in DnD, since the flexibility that Sword and Shield offers in Monster Hunter isn't well reflected in DnD mechanics. It definitely feels like the use of Backhop as a reaction and a Bonus Action should be two distinct abilities to me - maybe just let the Sword and Shield fighter take dodge as a bonus action? That's pretty strong for a shield user though. Yeah, this one is tricky to get the feel right on, I don't envy you your task!

LOVE the Charge Blade subclass, but I'd recommend reducing the damage die from d12 in Axe Mode to d10 - that'd bring it more in line with other weapons with reach and it doesn't need the boost when it has the vial dice. Though, I think as a compromise you could have your vial dice as d6 from the beginning to reflect that these are the major damage dealers for the class and incentivise a player to strategise around them. I think you could even get away with improving them to d8s at Level 10 maybe. I'm a little confused by Guard Point though. Is the +3 to AC meant to stack with the shield? And one point of AC feels pretty small for expending a vial, I'd remove the +3 and just say you can add one vial die to your AC if you want.
    According to easydamus, I'm a 4th level CG elf wizard. Str 9 - Dex 11 - Con 9 - Int 18 - Wis 14 - Cha 16.

Homebrew setting (or part thereof): Phaunia and the Twilit Between