New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Heirs To Altenheim [IC]

Your father has been dead for about eighteen hours.

Katya was the first to arrive, when Velguardr sent their summons out. She rallied the guard, letting them know an emergency had happened, but not the specific details.
    Lyarra was the second, arriving at the palace as the guards were finishing locking the area down. It took some doing to get her inside.
    Selyena and Jessa arrived last, as they were not in Altenheim's city proper when they were Sent for.

But arrive you all have-and Velguardr looks upon you with a heavy heart.

What will you do?

OOC Thread
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2021-10-07 at 05:56 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Heirs To Altenheim [IC]

Katya is stood looming over a table, poring over a map of the city, as well as several genealogical documents of prominent noble houses.

"Well, ladies, now that we're all here," she begins, looking over her half-sisters with a somewhat critical eye, "We need to decide what our best course of action for securing the stability of Altenheim and the safety of its people is. And to do that, we must know what threat we're actually dealing with. Clearly there is foul work at play, so we should be wary of any potential followup to this attack. My initial suspicion would fall on either an ambitious noble, or whoever stands to succeed the throne, now that every pureblood scion of the royal line is dead. Velguardr, would you happen to know who the next in line would be?"

3. - Top - End - #3

"The next heir would have been Jonathan the eight, first son of your father. After that, down the family line... But that is gone now," they say. "We have never thought that we would lose seven members of the Tempor family in a single day-given the writ of law, the successor to the Tempor line, should it be completely done away with, is down to a vote from the noble families. I do not know if anyone can meet the threshold of a majority of the votes, though I suspect not soon. It would take considerable wheedling and dealing to get any noble household to vote for another, and to do so to achieve a majority... Years of toil, during which Altenheim would be left rudderless. Of course, the Tempor line is not gone-not quite yet."
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2021-10-08 at 10:10 AM.

Show
    Show

Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Selyena staff jingles as she leans it against the back of a chair, the brass loops clinking against each other as the staff comes to rest. Her robes are various shades of red, and unlike many other practitioners of magic, they do not look elegant or refined.

Her head is shaved on one side, with simple linear patterns shaved into the short stubble that remains. The other side of her head is cut to shoulder length, tapering from front to back. The style marks her as a monk of middling rank. Not a master, but neither a new pupil.

A ship without a rudder must find itself a paddle. I must congratulate you, Velguardr for finding such material that will make fine ones someday.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jessa Inion Ri

Jessa stood silently for a moment in the room, eyes dry but tinged with sadness. She appeared to be an average-sized woman, with light bluish skin and red hair. She had been surprised by the summons from her studies, and even more so by the reason. She had only met her father a handful of times, but the man was still a powerful figure, even for his half a century in years. To learn he had died was somewhat disconcerting. However, when she learned ALL the pure bloods of his line had died by dark magik, she understood this was no simple affair.

The guards had rushed her off to a carriage which made for the capital with all haste. During the ride, she considered not only the situation but the other key piece of information they had told her - she had three sisters! Well, half-sisters, but still that was more than she had in her life before. The real question was what were they like?

Now that she was here, it was obvious one of them was very focused, and a bit off-putting ... but given the circumstances, it was probably to be expected. Perhaps she could be a voice of calming here ...

”Um ...hello ... sisters? I do not know much of life here, but if all the heirs are gone, wouldn’t WE next in line? And perhaps the next targets ...

Oh, and I am Jessa Inion Ri. Pleased to meet you.”

She bowed her head to the others.

OOC - Game on friends!
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    AC: 17 HP: 31 Init +2 Move 40’’
    Saves: Str +6 Dex +4 Con +2 Int +0 Wis +7 Cha +1
    Skills: Athletics +6, Acrobatics +4, Religion +2; Insight +7; Perception +7, Medicine +7, Persuasion +3
    Tools: Calligraphy, Herbalism, Pan flute
    Ki 4pt / rest
    Detect magic / Disguise self 1 ea / rest
    Hidden step 1 / rest
    Deflect arrows (1d10+7) and Slow fall (20’) as Reactions
    Channel divinity 1 / rest (Turn undead, Bond of Peace)
    Emboldening bond 2 / long rest
    Weapons: Unarmed (+6 / 1d4+4); Ono (+6 / 1d6+4); Darts x10 (+4 / 1d4+4)
    Spoiler: Spells
    Show
    Prepare 9 spells, DC 15, 4-1st / 3-2nd
    0: guidance, thaumaturgy, light, sacred flame
    1st (x4): heroism, sanctuary, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt, shield of faith
    2nd (x3): aid, warding bond, silence, enhance ability, locate object, hold person, zone of truth
    Effects: Powerful build; Speech of beast and leaf
    Last edited by Starbin; 2021-10-07 at 10:21 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

6. - Top - End - #6

Velguardr nods. "That is part of why I called you all here-whoever did this might have known you would not have been affected... Or might not have. But once they know of your survival, if they do not already, they are sure to have you in their sights. Here, at the palace, will be safer than your old homes."

Show
    Show

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

"Provided, of course, that the attack did not come from within the palace walls," Katya says, eyes narrowing as she begins pacing back and forth, stroking her chin in thought. "Regardless, the fact of the matter is that Altenheim needs leadership, whether in the form of a monarch or otherwise. And since the decision of who that is apparently falls to the nobility, it would behoove us to... encourage them to choose a course that is good for the realm."

Katya ceases her pacing, looking down at the genealogies on the table again, leafing through them.

"Hmm. Is there any precedence in Altenheim's history for establishing a regency council?"

8. - Top - End - #8

"Before Altenheim was founded, there were several warring peoples. They attempted to, several times, put aside their differences and work together," Velguardr says. "It did not end well-they were unable to keep true to their words and each time the oligarchy was formed, it was disbanded-or destroyed-within a decade or two. When the Tempors came to conquer, they ruled, at first, with an iron fist and forced cooperation. As you would know from history, the kings and queens mellowed over time, but the lessons of the past remain law. Altenheim is to have ruling from one family alone. Hells, we are technically stretching the law by not declaring one and only one of you queen."

Show
    Show

Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jessa Inion Ri

Jessa remained quite, only her eyes shifting from speaker to speaker. At the last, a slight frown marred her countenance. ”If you require a single ruler than why not select
    her? I am sorry, I still don't know any of your names. ”
    She pointed at Katya.

"She seems the most engaged and witting, and already appears to be in a position of authority."

OOC - Not it ...
    Show
    Saves: Str +6 Dex +4 Con +2 Int +0 Wis +7 Cha +1
    Skills: Athletics +6, Acrobatics +4, Religion +2; Insight +7; Perception +7, Medicine +7, Persuasion +3
    Ki 4pt / rest
    Detect magic / Disguise self 1 ea / rest
    Hidden step 1 / rest
    Show
    1st (x4): heroism, sanctuary, cure light wounds, healing word, guiding bolt, shield of faith
    2nd (x3): aid, warding bond, silence, enhance ability, locate object, hold person, zone of truth

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Lyarra Smith
    AC: 18 | HP: 39/39 | HIT DICE: 4d10
    Speed:
    30ft | Initiative: +2
    Passive Perception:
    12 | Passive Insight 12
    Conditions: ---

Lyarra was a little bit confused with all this talk about rules and laws and whatnot, so she wasn't saying much, hoping that her polite nods would be enough to convince the others that she actually understood what was going on. She thought her sisters all looked pretty and she felt some pride at the thought that they all shared one half of the same blood. When the blue-skinned lady asked for everyone's names, Lyarra was happy to finally know the answer to one of the questions, so she decided to chip into the conversation at this moment, cutting off anyone else before they had the time to answer: 'Hi! I'm Lyarra. Pleased to meet all of you.' As she finishes her first sentence, she steps forward and grabs Jessa's hand, shaking it vigorously: 'I'm a little nervous because all of this looks so serious and important and I'm not exactly sure what most of the things you're saying all means. I mean, I do understand the words, of course but, just.. the larger picture? Wow! Lots of stuff going on, huh? Who killed who and why and all that? And now we need to go saving a whole kingdom? That sounds exciting - and scary. And bad! And you all look soooo pretty! I mean - oh! Maybe that was a bit too forward of me? Umm.. I'm sorry. Well... Anyways. If we need to choose a single ruler I definitely want to suggest myself. I think I would be a just and fair ruler! Yep.'
    She never stopped shaking Jessa's hand through her whole tirade, spoken in a single breathe. When she finally stops talking and catches some air she notices how silly she must look right now and immediately blushes... 'I- um...'
    She stares at her feet to avoid the others' gazes. Strangely, the heart-shaped clockwork device embedded into the chest plate of her armor starts whirring and humming lightly. She taps on it a few times and it stops.
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2021-10-08 at 04:57 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Katya looks between Jessa and Lyarra, her eyes still carrying that critical edge to them, still assessing them, getting their measure.

"Katya Embercrown, corporal in the palace guard," she says curtly. "A pleasure to meet you all," she adds, more out of politeness than sincerity. "And while I appreciate the enthusiastic offer of taking up a throne I have no desire of sitting on, I doubt you have any more experience or education in ruling a nation than I do. Do I have leadership skills? On the small scale, yes. A regiment of soldiers I can handle. A nation is another matter entirely. At least, on my own."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Only in the mind. Selyena says, speaking for the second time.

The only difference in the scope of the rule is how many lives it affects. But the actual abilities are little different. You command one or the other, what does it matter whether the one you issue orders to is a General, instead of a Sergeant?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

13. - Top - End - #13

"A difference of degree, if not principle. But degree makes all the difference-Katya is an excellent leader of our guards and soldiery, but to lead the whole nation... No," Velguardr says. "She is not prepared to do so on her own at this moment."

They continue, saying "The most pressing matter is what to do with the death of your father-how will we tell the people?"

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

An announcement of some kind. Straight and to the point. The real question is what we tell of what happened. They will wonder why it is us and not other members of the Royal family or a new king.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

cool Re: Heirs To Altenheim [IC]

Jessa Inion Ri

Jessa smiled at Lyarra. She let the other girl continue to shake her hend for a few moments, then gently brought it to a stop as she paused to stare at her. ”It is a pleasure to meet you Lyarra ... sister. But we will not shake hands like strangers meeting for the first time.” Jessa pulled the other woman in for a tight, but pleasant, hug.

Turning back to Katya, she listened to the guardswoman’s comments and back-and-forth with the other woman. When there was an appropriate pause, the young lady raised her hand.

"Sister Katya, greetings and salutations. I imagine we’ve all had some measure of leadership thrust upon us. I presume someone in the past has been thrust into leadership before they were prepared. This cannot be without precedence. Would we not be better choices than some poor, unprepared child born at the wrong time? What if the heir was only a child?"

OOC - RP
    Show
    Saves: Str +6 Dex +4 Con +2 Int +0 Wis +7 Cha +1 on
    Ki 4pt / rest
    Detect magic / Disguise self 0/1 ea / rest
    Hidden step 1 / rest
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Katya nods in response to Jessa

"Hmm. If the heir was a child, I imagine a regent would handle the actual act of ruling until they came of age," she says. "Perhaps that is the tack we should take. Form a regency council to provide governance whilst the nobles come to their decision. I can't imagine they'll be quick to reach a decision, with each house trying to see itself onto the throne. We use what time they give us to find our own candidate to put forward as successor, and try and build support and backing for them. We follow the proceedure, and let it work for us. There's no sense rushing in to try and put one of us, or someone else, on the throne without the backing of at least some of the nobility. Our bastardry and inexperience would make it all too easy for them to decry our legitimacy."

Katya strokes her chin thoughtfully.

"I feel it may be our best bet. A council of the last of the late king's bloodline, impure though it may be, and his counsellor to see the naiton through these uncertain times. At least until the nobles cease squabbling."

17. - Top - End - #17

Velguardr nods. "It seems a good course of action. I will summon the lawfolk and a speechwriter, so we can carefully plan our words." They head out, leaving you alone for a few minutes.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Couple of things:

1) I'll let y'all decide whether you want to continue in real-time here, RPing a little more, or if you want to skip ahead.
    2) If you do want to skip ahead, lemme know here or in the OOC, and I'll summarize the applicable laws in broad terms.
    3) I never did describe what Velgaurdr looks like. They're an androgynous humanoid, of undetermined race. Very mysterious-looking, hard to pin down details on their heritage. They don't look too old, more a healthy middle-aged. They have a long scar across their face, going directly through their missing eye. They also, as you've observed from the times they came to visit you and when you've met with them before, are incredibly good at blending into the background. Not turning invisible or anything, just not being noticed very much.

Show
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jessa Inion Ri

Jessa nodded, almost to herself as both Katya and the major doom came to an agreement. She glanced to the two others - Lyarra and one who was obviously a fellow practitioner ... albeit a different tradition. ”What say you, Lyarra? Are you willing to set aside your claim in order to govern as a council until the rightful heir can be found?

And you, unnamed sister, aside from helping craft the message, do you agree with this course of action?”

OOC - making sure we’re in lock step.
    Show
    Ki 4pt / rest
    Hidden step 1 / rest
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Action is often better than inaction. And it is better to take the initiative to prevent things from descending into chaos. I will do what I can for the people, but the wheel will turn. We will all end where we are supposed to be, as is the way of nature. So let us continue and do what we can, what we must, what will be.

And I am known in this place as Selyena.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

20. - Top - End - #20

Flumph

Lyarra Smith
    Speed:
    Passive Perception:
    12 | Passive Insight 12

Lyarra was moved by her sister's kindness and she held on tight during the embrace. Then, when Jessa asked her about the council and retracting her offer to rule she answered: 'But of course. I'm not certain I'm actually fit to rule by myself... I was just trying to fit in. Doing it together sounds even better.' She c ocks her head to one side and taps her chin with a finger, thinking: 'But... wouldn't it be even wiser if we tried to figure out what happened to fa- I mean, to the king? Investigating, fighting bad guys - now that's something I'm good at!'
    Then, to Selyena: 'You are known in this place as Selyena? Perhaps I should find you a nickname... I don't really know you yet, so it can't be anything too personal. I guess something easy to start! How about Yena? Sounds cute.' She smiles.
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2021-10-11 at 11:17 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Katya gives curt nods of approval to her sisters, though she looks askance somewhat at Selyena's apparent willingness to accept their fate.

"Lyarra makes a fair point. If we can find and apprehend the one behind the bloodcurse, and bring them to justice, it may serve to lend some credence to our choice of successor, and serve to improve their chances," she says. "Were it up to me, I'd simply execute them once they're brought to light, but a full trial might serve to further legitimise our temporary authority, and our candidate's claim. And give the people a chance to see justice brought."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jessa Inion Ri

Jessa nodded, noting Selyena's predeterminant perspective. She added, "I suppose action or inaction means little if we are predestined for a path, since we will act as fast or as slow as we were meant to. But that is a philosophical discussion for later. I am pleased to know your name, Sister."

She smiled at Lyarra's enthusiasm, wondering idly if it would ever crack the aura of duty Katya wore like plate mail. Only time would tell. Aloud, she added her thoughts. "Agreed - an excellent point. The why may be just as important to the what next as anything. I presume the King had royal physicians and mages ... have they been asked to look into the deaths? Where were all of the line of Tempor when they died, in bed or elsewhere? I think we have several more questions we can ask.

But if we are investigating the murder - which I presume is not a part-time distraction - who will be running the kingdom? It may be difficult to do both ..."

OOC - I'm ready to move on whenever. Figured I'd throw my two or three cents in here.
    Show
    Ki 4pt / rest
    Hidden step 1 / rest
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Velguardr returns, bringing with a small retinue of servants. "Pinly, lawyer," they say, introducing a rather pudgy gnomish man. "Kirn, speechwriter," they say, introducing a willowy elven woman. "And Leo, another speechwriter," they say, introducing the last of the people, an ordinary-sized human man.

Pinly is the first to talk. "Right-as Velguardr said he mentioned, technically we aren't supposed to have a group of rulers at all. Because you are all Tempors-somewhat, at least-we can get away with none of you having primacy. Should you decide to give primacy to one of yourselves, it may make the case more ironclad against legal challenges mounted by noble families-"

"But, with luck, we can stave those off by ruling well," Velguardr cuts him off. "If the people have broad support of you all, they're unlikely to make themselves disliked by trying to dethrone you."

Leo talks next, saying "Now, as for addressing the people... We can make summons for a majority of the people in Altenheim proper, and announce to them, as well as gathering leaders and speakers from the surrounding villages and towns. I believe it to be best to delay until we can get everyone here."

Kirn disagrees, saying "No. We should let the people know as soon as possible-they deserve to know."

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Let them know why we call them. Do not give them the details. We will do that in person.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Katya looks at Selyena and narrows her eyes slightly.

"My concern is that providing only the barest details in the summons could lead to unrest and chaos," she says, before looking to Leo and Kirn. "Likewise, I worry that overly delaying the announcement could make it appear as though we have something to hide, and potentially implicate us in our father's death. The king and all his legitimate heirs die, and his illegitimate offspring don't announce such until they have set themselves up in a position of power?"

She shakes her head.

"It will sit poorly with the people, and most likely outrage the nobility. I would push for an announcement sooner rather than later, and let runners carry our announcement beyond the city proper. Moving quickly might also catch the culprit off-guard. They might expect us to take time to mourn and solidify our hold on power first."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jessa Inion Ri

Continued discussions about the investigation were interrupted by the arrival of two speech writers and a lawyer. She nodded to all three, introducing herself simply as Jessa.
    After some back and forth, Jessa added some additional thoughts. "First, Pinly's comments seem important. Should we give one of us primacy so folks don't fight a council? Or rotate?

Second, as our sister Selyena said earlier, taking the initiative is probably the best plan. I agree with Katya, and feel that spreading the word sooner, and honestly, is best. However, are there any trusted counselors the King had who we should tell first? Aside from those in this room, of course.

For the message to the people, I would think messages and town criers would work best. These smart writers should be able to explain what has happened ... but maybe we don't go say that all heirs are gone, but say we are looking for the legal heir."

OOC - Adding some thoughts
    Show
    Ki 4pt / rest
    Hidden step 1 / rest
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I would caution against revealing too much too soon. Just as announcing too little may bring chaos, saying too much may lead to unfavorable action. Those with anger and gilded tongues may turn the announcements into declarations against the enemies they seek judgement against. That could just as easily tear this nation apart in countless little wars, when what is needed is to seek to a balance, that we may direct all in the proper course.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

28. - Top - End - #28

Flumph

Lyarra Smith
    Speed:
    Passive Perception:
    12 | Passive Insight 12

Lyarra was lost in thought while the others were talking. Oh! she was listening, but she was considering everything they were saying and, once again, was a little confused by it all.
    Suddenly, she emerges from her pondering and, finger raised matter-of-factly says:
    'Nobles are going to squabble and backstab and plot - that's what they do and there isn't much we can do about that. But, at least on the surface, they need to respect the wishes of the people... Let's not overthink it and start from there: we need to make it appear as though we are worthy to step in and lead in our father's place - we need the people to like us. Hmm.. Velguardr.. is there anything that needs fixing? I don't know.. a public enemy to be caught or a monster to be fought? If we can gain support from the commoners by our actions then they should adopt us... easier-ly?'
    She scratches her head at that last word: 'More easily? Anyways, it should be easier to gain their support - I think. On top of that, we have lawmakers and speechwriters and fancy speakers and whatnot.. let's use propi-ganda! People already love heroes and princesses so what if we give them... hero princesses!' She is beaming now, convinced she had the best idea ever.
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2021-10-13 at 04:40 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Velguardr ponders a moment. "Your father ruled well, but certainly not perfectly. With that said... Were there to have been immediate, pressing concerns that had to be addressed, we would've been addressing them. The main issue I foresee, that the common person would be expected to know about, would be the potential of invasion given our weakness. That too might serve to keep the noble families in line. Harkonnen, to the south, is ever-vigilant for their next conquest. They've sent raids to us before, but nothing that couldn't be covered up. Still, those who live on our southern edge are all too familiar with the threat that hands over them."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If you'd like to suggest issues that could be cleaned up, do so in the OOC and I'll let you know whether or not that'd make sense to say IC.

Show
    Show

Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Jessa Inion Ri

Jessa simply shrugged at the continued debate. "Tell them what you will, but we should be forthright in the major issues - the King and many of his kin are dead. We are securing the kingdom for now as we search for his rightful heir. Then perhaps we can focus on finding out what happened to the man and his children, and why we survived. That is the 'mission' we must complete."

OOC - Moar thoughts
    Show
    Ki 4pt / rest
    Hidden step 1 / rest
    Show