New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Default Tell me about the gods...

Spoiler: Family Portrait
    Show

It's time for another "Build a Setting" forum thread. In this thread, we will define a pantheon of 7 gods based on this picture. When you post, tell us the name of one of the gods (if they haven't all been named already), one interest or focus of one of the named gods (please don't just list D&D cleric domains), and one interesting anecdote, quirk, habit, legend, item, or ritual associated with one of the named gods. Feel free to tie them to another god when you mention a legend about them.

For reference, the top row from left to right are gods 1, 2, 3, 4. The middle row are 5 (left) and 6 (right). God 7 is the fellow with all the eyeballs and digits at the bottom of the picture. For a starting point: God #1 is named Rho Ac.

----------

For my own post:

God #6 is named Mi Ghos.
    Mi Ghos is the god responsible for forgetfulness and memory.
    Rho Ac is a very grumpy god because it had a fight with Mi Ghos long ago and now Mi Ghos refuses to sweep away Rho Ac's dreams in the morning. Poor Rho Ac remembers every pointless fancy, every bit of surreal nonsense, and every nightmare it has ever had in vivid detail and now its mind is cluttered with useless and frightful garbage. Because of this Rho Ac bears an everlasting grudge against Mi Ghos, who has already forgotten what they fought about (and seen to it that nobody else can remember either).
    Last edited by Xuc Xac; 2020-05-17 at 03:58 AM.
    The Curse of the House of Rookwood: Supernatural horror and family drama.
    Ash Island: Personal survival horror in the vein of Silent Hill.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Tell me about the gods...

God number 7 is Kha Sec.
    Kha Sec's focus is difficult to pin down, because he is often referred to as the unfocused or distracted god. He is generally seen as well-meaning and the most likely to help mortals, but his help often doesn't solve the actual problem or accidentally makes it worse and while this greatly saddens Kha Sec, he often moves on to the next problem before cleaning up his mess. Calling on him is sure to make your life interesting, if not necessarily better and as such,

Interesting trivia aside: I want to hang something up on where the gods are looking and how. That is for me their view towards their worshippers.
    1 looks down angrily. 2 seems to stare ahead angrily, not down at mortals. 3 is looking down, stern but maybe a bit amused? 4 has her eyes closed, so do 5 and 6. I'd call the expressions in order restful, serene and haughty but amused. 7 looks down, mostly, with concern.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #3

Lizardfolk

God #1 is Candlebeak. They are the hawk-dragon god of wisdom and knowledge. Once, when the world was dark, in the time before the stars, there were many of their kind. Now they are the only one left. They come in the darkness and bestow divine inspiration unto their devoted. They are generally reclusive, however, spending most of their time observing the generally unobserved, among the highest mountains and darkest forest, and deepest oceans, where life only grazes the world in small unknown ways. They are the watcher, the seer, and the thinker. Their gargantuan wings flashing across the darkness of the blackest night. they observe the falling sparrow and the dying sprout. Candlebeak is the great observer of the cosmos.
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

God Nr. 2 is Montorakh, the God of hard Work, hard earned Wisdom, Memory, old Age and Grumpiness (in truth, Learnedness, but all others say its Grumpiness^^).

He was already an old Man when he became a God, and cannot ever get rid of his long beard, plate and Wrinkles, or the fact he knows everything better than anyone else.
    He is however usually to abrasive, grumpy or both to get others to follow his usually very well reasoned advice.
    So in recent centuries he decided to bother less and less.
    He looks angry and concentrated because the last guy he gave advice to is in a pickle and about to lose his kungdom.
    THat means, since all Gods must itneract with the World SOMEHOW he willb e forced to give advice to some other mortal shmuck....to promptly be ignored when it counts.
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2020-05-17 at 05:07 PM.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

5. - Top - End - #5

Lizardfolk

Goddess #4 is Shan-sho-shum. She is the sleeper on the mountain whose yawns and shifting and restless leg shake the lands. When her dreams are pleasant, the sky is clear and bright, but when they are scary, dark clouds float from her and cover the sky.

One must never pray or make sacrifices to Shan-sho-shum like with the other gods, because the prayer will fly up to her face and beat its wings against it and her sleep will be troubled. But also if Shan-sho-shum awakens and sees that her offering cup is empty, she will be very angry with man and cause create misfortune for him. It is a predicament indeed.
    What I'm Playing: D&D 5e
    What I've Played: D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, D&D 5e, B/X D&D, CoC, Delta Green

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    Modern in sense of design focus. I consider any system that puts more weight in the buttons that players mash over the rest of the system as modern.