New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: railroading obstructive DM and rpg videogames

Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    My general answer to this is "plot grenades". Some impending doom that's significant enough that the players can't ignore it, but not something that has a specific plan to resolve, especially one laid out in advance.

The options are not "linear game" and "world where the characters do whatever".
    Like "Well you threw away the <foo> when you ran off so now the demons can open the gate again. I guess demon attacks in the area will ramp up for a few months untill the gate is fully open and then we'll have a full on demon invasion"? Yeah, done that too. I did say 'usually'.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Like "Well you threw away the <foo> when you ran off so now the demons can open the gate again. I guess demon attacks in the area will ramp up for a few months untill the gate is fully open and then we'll have a full on demon invasion"? Yeah, done that too. I did say 'usually'.
    Well, maybe wthout the "you screwed up" bit, unless it's actually relevant. But yeah. I find that a good way to retain a bunch of open-ness in the game, while still preventing it from beign "well, what do you want to do?"
    "Gosh 2D8HP, you are so very correct (and also good looking)"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, maybe wthout the "you screwed up" bit, unless it's actually relevant. But yeah. I find that a good way to retain a bunch of open-ness in the game, while still preventing it from beign "well, what do you want to do?"
    Twice.

The second time was supposed to happen by the planned plot, but by then I was sure enough of the players that I had the high mage council just give them the instructions to bypass all the defenses of the secure area. Sure enough, the plan of "go in, don't trigger the guardians, cut the iron flask containing the demon lord free of the altar, return without opening it" was just way too complicated for them.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

More Darth Ultron now that I think about it
    I've had my suspicions ever since he showed up. Between this thread and looking at his games, it seems pretty likely. He uses a lot of the same terms and runs games with similar tropes. And now we're getting back into orthogonal definitions of railroading (to justify vanilla railroading).

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scripten View Post
    I've had my suspicions ever since he showed up. Between this thread and looking at his games, it seems pretty likely. He uses a lot of the same terms and runs games with similar tropes. And now we're getting back into orthogonal definitions of railroading (to justify vanilla railroading).
    Would it be verboten to move beyond concurring and into actual "well, obviously" territory?

I mean, I've had paranoid suspicions that there could exist two such individuals, so alike in mannerisms and mindset, so similar in style and substance; these suspicions were allayed by a display of the same gems of wisdom - unique among Playgrounders in their particular qualities, as they can seemingly only be forged within that rarest of perspectives - that I always looked forward to in our conversations.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

More Darth Ultron now that I think about it
    Hold on, I think I had a line for this. Right, that's what it was:

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    I'd completely forgotten about that guy. Why couldn't you leave me that luxury?
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

People talk all the time about taking inspiration from a favorite story -- novel, manga, movie, TV series, whatever. Everything is scripted in those and they're very entertaining. So it follows (if you don't examine too closely) that highly scripted TTRPG scenes should be a good thing. I think that's just as strong a factor in the problem as any other type of game is.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list