New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Namor The Sub-Mariner Alignment

I think Namor The Sub-Mariner alignment is True Neutral he has been both hero and villain in the comic books. So there's no telling who side he fights on. What do you think?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Namor The Sub-Mariner Alignment

Heroic teams can have a Token Evil Teammate. On the occasions when he has been part of the "heroic team" he has tended to be that, according to TV Tropes. Basically to the rest of the team, what Belkar is to the OoTS.

So, I'd say Evil overall.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #3

If you measure alighnment by intent, then he's good. He generally means well.

However, his priorities are as follows:
    1. Doing good for Atlantis
    2. Getting laid
    3. What's good for his fellow mutants
    4. What's good for everyone else

And the first two are way, way ahead of the second two.

and sometimes? What's good for Atlantis and what's good for the rest of the world are mutually exclusive.

He's also genuinely mentally ill. As a hybrid of Homo s. sapiens and Homo mermanus, Namor needs to spend a certain amount of time above the water and a certain amount of time below it or his brain chemistry gets screwed up a bit in a way, not unlike bipolar disorder. He also has some really bad PTSD from what he did and saw in WWII(including witnessing the death of a good friend.)

ProfessorX tried to help Namor get his head on straight a few years before The formation of the X-Men. Professor X botched it and Namor's been having a subconscious conversation with an increasingly more twisted gestalt of his mental image of his dead friend and his own subconsciousness.

So he means well, but the combination of his "Atlantis First" priorities and his mental illness means he doesn't always go about it reasonably. This, combined with his pragmatism, means that, while he's usually "Good" he's far less heroic that his fellows.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    If you measure alighnment by intent, then he's good. He generally means well.

So he means well, but the combination of his "Atlantis First" priorities and his mental illness means he doesn't always go about it reasonably. This, combined with his pragmatism, means that, while he's usually "Good" he's far less heroic that his fellows.
    Plenty of "well intentioned extremists" qualify as evil, to be fair.

When I go through his trope page:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...ook/SubMariner

he consistently seems to come across as "one of the worst of the heroes on occasions when he's allied with them".

And before that:

"When he was first introduced in 1939, he was written as a Well-Intentioned Extremist Villain Protagonist, someone who'd basically kill any human civilian because we're all responsible for the sorry state of the ocean."

Assuming he's never repented or tried to atone for any of that, I'd say "Still Evil".
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say CE is the perfect peg for Namor as a whole just going by his first appearance and all the shady Illuminati **** he's been involved in over the years.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Its a deeply interesting question that can't be answered properly without referring to real world politics.

But he, like the staggering majority of leaders in human history, is Neutral Evil.

He does whats best for him and his, and screw everyone and everything else most of the time. He believes in society and systems and laws, but also acts in whatever way best preserves them at any point, including going against those societies and systems and laws.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Namor has been both good and evil. He does care for Atlantis but very prejudice with other races. Do I think he evil no. Do I think he's good no? So I say he's True Neutral hands down.