New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Anonymouswizard's Random Banter #227 and Free Cup of Tea

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I love steak. Also, I heard eating too much red meat is bad for you. Is that true?
    Yes. Well, eating "too much" of anything is bad for you by definition, but we culturally eat way more red meat than is probably healthy.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Yes. Well, eating "too much" of anything is bad for you by definition
    A lot of people don't realise that drinking too much water will kill you.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Oof. Well I just got some bad news. Just heard from one my mates that one of the chaps who was with the group when I first started roleplaying (who we saw infrequently at wargames shows since) lost his wife a couple of weeks ago. That's a bit of a [poop]er and no mistake; just the difficulty of the funeral alone is bad enough. I can't imagine how bad it must be when you can't even really get much help from your friends and family.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Oof. Well, I just got some bad news. Just heard from one my mates that one of the chaps who was with the group when I first started roleplaying (who we saw infrequently at wargames shows since) lost his wife a couple of weeks ago. That's a bit of an [poop]er and no mistake; just the difficulty of the funeral alone is bad enough. I can't imagine how bad it must be when you can't even really get much help from your friends and family.
    Oh no. I'm sorry to hear that. My condolences.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

Oof. Well I just got some bad news. Just heard from one my mates that one of the chaps who was with the group when I first started roleplaying (who we saw infrequently at wargames shows since) lost his wife a couple of weeks ago. That's a bit of a [poop]er and no mistake; just the difficulty of the funeral alone is bad enough. I can't imagine how bad it must be when you can't even really get much help from your friends and family.
    Damn. Sorry to hear that. Losing people is rough in the best of times. Do what you can for your friend. It might not seem like you're able to do much, I'm sure he'll be grateful that you at least care.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Damn. Sorry to hear that. Losing people is rough in the best of times. Do what you can for your friend. It might not seem like you're able to do much, I'm sure he'll be grateful that you at least care.
    I agree. I lost a few people during my lifetime. Be there with your friend Aotrs.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Barbarian in the Playground

My sincere condolences to all.

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    I'm afraid we've already raised our venture capital from angel investors.
    that bites
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

I've found the kind of courtesy I get from other drivers depends on what I'm driving. Since I'm mostly driving a fairly big pickup truck with many dents, scratches and various battle scars, other drivers are a bit more polite.

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

So. AI Dungeon. Which is in the style of the old text adventure, that procedurally generates stuff in response to what you put in.

Presented without further comment.

Spoiler
    Show
    You are Malexekor the Necromancer, a wizard living in the kingdom of Larion. You have a staff and a spellbook. You finish your long journey and finally arrive at the ruin you've been looking for. You look around and see bones everywhere, some decayed, some fresh... This is definitely where the Necromancer Lord made his home... And where he raised his undead hordes!

Suddenly, you hear some noise behind you...

> You summon Alluria the Succubus Paladin as your ally.
    You turn around and see a tall, dark figure dressed in black leather armor with a silver mask covering the face. The figure draws a sword and runs towards you!

> You stand behind Alluria the Succubus Paladin and let her fight the armoured figure while preparing your necrotic bomb spell.
    Alluria the Succubus Paladin fights bravely with her longsword, but is no match for the dark figure's superior swordplay.

> You wait for an opening while Alluria is fighting the dark figure and then shoot it in the face with a necrotic bomb.
    You wait patiently for an opening while Alluria is fighting the dark figure, but she is not successful in killing him! Eventually, she is disarmed and wounded herself.

> You shoot the dark figure in the face with a necrotic bomb.
    The dark figure screams in pain as the bomb explodes inside his helmet! His screams are soon cut short... but not before you hear him say "Insolent mortal!" before he dies.

> You tell Alluria to heal herself and then summon the dark figure's ghost for necromantic interrogation.
    Alluria heals herself and then summons the dark figure's ghost for necromantic interrogation. She tries to learn more about the Necromancer Lord's plans by asking him questions, but he does not answer.

> You take over the necromantic interrogation yourself and set the dark figure's soul on fire until it answers.
    Alluria watches in awe as the dark figure's soul burns away until there is nothing left but ashes! She then tells you that she is ready to continue with her quest to kill Count Grey... But you have other plans!

> You the other plans can wait, we'll kick Count Grey first.
    You tell Alluria that Count Grey must be taken out first, because the vampire's minions are too many and too strong to take on now. She is surprised by your decision, but agrees with it nonetheless.

> You have her teleport you both to Count Grey's location.
    Alluria teleports both of you outside of Count Grey's fortress!
    Count Grey stands upon the battlements, overlooking his domain.

> You shout "oi, tosser!" and when he looks around blast him off the battlements with a spell.
    Count Grey turns around and looks at both of you angrily! He raises his hand towards you, but stops himself from casting a spell. Instead, he calls down to you.
    "Tell me who sent you!"

> You knock him off the battlements with a spell.
    You fire a beam of negative energy at Count Grey who falls off the battlements and into the courtyard below! He breaks his fall with some sort of magic shield he has, but you know he's still hurt!

> You comment to Alluria "damn, I thought that was so going to work."
    Alluria agrees with you, but suggests that perhaps you should go down to the courtyard and investigate what happened instead of teleporting back home like you wanted to do.

> You bombard the courtyard with a barrage of necrotic bombs until Count Grey is reduced to ashes.
    You hurl several rotting corpses at Count Grey who's lying on the ground! The corpses explode all over him but he's still not dead yet! He tries to cast a spell, but once again you interrupt him.

> You attempt to slice his face off with a necrotic lance beam.
    Count Grey attempts to raise his hands up to cast a spell at you, but fails and the beam hits him straight in the face! He falls backwards, blood spurting from his nose and mouth!

> You shoot a continuous beam of negative energy ay him until he dies.
    Count Grey attempts to cast a spell but fails once again! He collapses backwards, twitching slightly before finally expiring. You notice his body twitching for a few seconds after he's dead.

> You high five Alluria.
    Alluria high fives you back! Victory is at hand! Now all you have to do is take out the Vampire Lord!

> You have Alluris cast protective spells againsy dominaion on both of you.
    Alluria casts a spell that causes your skin to become very thick and inimical to spell effects! Dominaion spells have no effect on you or Alluria anymore!

> You have Alluria teleport you to the Vampire Lord.
    Alluria casts a teleportation spell, transporting you directly before Lord Rostov! He stands there, looking very bored, waiting for you to speak...
    "Well?" he asks, impatiently.

> You use a command Undead spell to take control of all of his undead minions and place them under your control.
    Lord Rostov looks at you angrily as his undead minions begin to slowly shuffle towards him! He looks at Alluria, who stands there smiling sweetly at him...
    "I have no idea what you're talking about,"

> You have Lord Rostov's undead minions tear him apart, while Alluria and you have nice cup of tea.
    All of Lord Rostov's undead minions tear him apart! His scream is very loud and long lasting! Allura's tea is cold by now, but she doesn't seem to care! She smiles at you warmly...

> You tell her "I suppose we had better go rescue Illyphase the Erinyes Paladin from that demon lord, next."
    "Yes," Allura says, smiling back at you, "we really should."
    The pair of you walk out of Rostov Keep, towards the portal back home... The End.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

I read the first paragraph. Do you have this sort of petty turf-war often, or is the algorithm borked?

I'm guessing "both" but that's just a guess.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-06-06 at 09:19 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I read the first paragraph. Do you have this sort of petty turf-war often, or is the algorithm borked?

I'm guessing "both" but that's just a guess.
    No idea, this was literally my first time trying it. From watching at least one youtube video on it, the introduction was pretty much the same until the final three lines, so it could be either it picked up on "necromancer" or just hilariously coincidently picked a necromander villain from what presumes is a starting stock of set-ups.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-06-06 at 09:40 AM.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

You can see that it struggled when it had Alluria cast the necromancy spell, because I hadn't specified Malexekor was supposed to be casting it. (One of tips that popped up also suggested that it seems to deal better when you type in second person, rather than first.)

Still, it's pretty damn impressive, nontheless, considering.

(Okay, so, it's not quite as funny as something the related vein of "Ron was going to be spiders. He just was," but that it ISN'T is an achievement (and that the AI-written HP chapter was itself grammatically coherent, if bonkers, is also an achievement.)

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

No idea, this was literally my first time trying it. From watching at least one youtube video on it, the introduction was pretty much the same until the final three lines, so it could be either it picked up on "necromancer" or just hilariously coincidently picked a necromander villain from what presumes is a starting stock of set-ups.
    From my first attempt, which involved Marvin the Mauve (who's real name is Jakob, apparently), it clearly begins with a stock setup, with potentially random names and villains, which I think it also draws from when you pass out for some reason? It also remembers things for at least a few actions, such as me stating that I desired to pawn a table for beer money, and is very much trying to learn what kind of adventure you want, although it draws the line at outright comedy.

I mean, this is very clearly a machine learning tool disguised as a game. The writers clearly want you to input fully constructed sentences or long, complex lists of actions, and it's trying to respond to those in a logical and entertaining way. It's pretty well done actually, although I suspect there's several shortcuts taken and it's not generating sentences from individual words.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

15. - Top - End - #435
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Reminds me of a classic:

Quote Originally Posted by Probably originally a music hall performer
    Adam read Bob's note and stroked his chin. "Why are you stroking my chin?", asked Bob.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

So, random question-- Would an "Ask a Car Mechanic" thread be fun or useful? Or would it just be pointless?

17. - Top - End - #437
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

So, random question-- Would an "Ask a Car Mechanic" thread be fun or useful? Or would it just be pointless?
    It would most likely run past the "no professional advice" line, I'm afraid.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    It would most likely run past the "no professional advice" line, I'm afraid.
    Duly noted. I'll leave it alone then.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Troll in the Playground

Man, I wish the weather here would stay consistent. Every time it looks nice enough to go out for a walk around the lake, or to mow the lawn, it starts raining hard not too long afterwards. Give me the sun!

20. - Top - End - #440
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Man, I wish the weather here would stay consistent. Every time it looks nice enough to go out for a walk around the lake, or to mow the lawn, it starts raining hard not too long afterwards. Give me the sun!
    Move to Britain and enjoy our consistent weather. I mean, it's always raining, but at least it's consistent!

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

I know the feeling. The transition from sunshine, to heavy wind, to hail, back to sunshine; was annoying enough the first time in the past month....
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

22. - Top - End - #442
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Move to Britain and enjoy our consistent weather. I mean, it's always raining, but at least it's consistent!
    Appreciate the sentiment, but I live in a place that has enough of the best parts of Britain (so I've been told) without the weather. So, I'll keep that.

(Though, the We(s)t Coast is pretty rainy... I do live in a rainforest after all... )

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm guessing it's the Hoh rainforest? My maternal grandparents live on the Olympic Penninsula, and I also live nearish Puget Sound myself.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-06-07 at 02:50 PM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Troll in the Playground

I'm guessing it's the Hoh rainforest? My maternal grandparents live on the Olympic Penninsula, and I also live nearish Puget Sound myself.
    Oh, okay, actually, checking, the Great Bear doesn't quite stretch down that far. My error. So I have rain and forest separately.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Oh, okay, actually, checking, the Great Bear doesn't quite stretch down that far. My error. So I have rain and forest separately.
    We have enough sun down here to export it. I'll toss in the heat for free.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

26. - Top - End - #446
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    We have enough sun down here to export it. I'll toss in the heat for free.
    Sure. Send it to "That one place that rarely gets snow, Canada." I'll gladly take it.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

I love that Supergran is so low-budget they had to use cartoon animation fireworks and explosions in the distance because they couldn't afford real ones.

And that they had to have Supergran bend the barrel of a tank via cutting between shots of what was very clearly drainage pipes (bent at 90º in stages, you see). Fracking priceless!

Also, the second episode I watched featured some hilariously bad American accents. You might have ascribed one to the young chap (a visiting American pen pal with friends), but the adult actor playing an American was just as terrible. Makes a nice change of pace from the usual inverse of the terrible cut-glass British accents you get from the other side of the pond.

('Course, thing was back in the 80s, telly was still fairly new as things go and the folk then didn't even have the level I was exposed to American accents through stuff like Transformers and such (I would have been 6 the first time Supergran aired). I think it's a lot easier these days where there's so much more exposure, with the much more global culture. Hell, there's probably some orders of magnitude just More Telly around now...)

It's so dumb, so cheap and so very silly, but? Time like this, some completely daft panto-level, dumb innocent fun is something that's in short supply. So watching the ridiculously-low stakes, of a desperate would-be-criminal-masterming scotmans bimble around with money-making plans that even Miles Mayhem would think as a bit silly to be - not even foiled, more often than not - rescued by an equally scottish granny with superpowers (which are mostly Running Quite Fast, Using Vehicles and Having a Stunt Double) is really quite relaxing. And the no-budget silliiness has a charm all of its own.

(Also, I now understand why my Dad always found it hilarious. I missed all this crap at the young age I was when it was showed and repeated...)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-06-07 at 06:18 PM.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Appreciate the sentiment, but I live in a place that has enough of the best parts of Britain (so I've been told) without the weather. So, I'll keep that.

(Though, the We(s)t Coast is pretty rainy... I do live in a rainforest after all... )
    Heh. Yeah, Oregon is like that too. Also pretty inconsistent about what kind of weather it wants to be.

Also, new avatar? Looks good!

Also, random fun fact: Western Fence Lizards have a protein in their blood which kills the bacteria that causes Lyme Disease. This prevents ticks from spreading the disease. Cool, right?

29. - Top - End - #449
    Troll in the Playground

Also, new avatar? Looks good!
    Ah, yep! All fresh and shiny even if it's the same character as last time. Thanks!

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hey everybody. You know what I actually miss eating during the pandemic: Acai! I missed eating Acai at Green Blend restaurant.