New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Anonymouswizard's Random Banter #227 and Free Cup of Tea

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I wholly agree with you here, especially as dealers have a depression for overcharging, which is not on the mechanist's end. Dealers can also help one specialize, which can be valuable.
    I feel that I should clarify that service departments at dealers aren't quite the same as sales departments. As mechanics, we usually perform routine service and inspections and recommend further service based on what we find during these inspections. From there it's up to the service advisor and the customer whether or not to go through with the additional repairs.

Repairs at dealerships do tend to be more expensive, but this is usually because dealership repairs are done with OE parts which are often more expensive. There are independent shops that use cheaper parts, but they can be a little more dicey depending on what's being done.

Being a tech at a dealership does allow someone access to OE training as well, which is pretty handy.

Not to say I wouldn't take the Jiffy Lube job if that was all I could get. I've definitely done worse jobs, I'll just be a little salty about working at a place that mechanics tend to meme about.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    I don't really agree with Insane. Experience at a less reputable mechanic is better than no experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    dealerships would be an excellent source of employment, just keep a close eye on the integrity of your character, "Bad company corrupts good character"
    For the record, I did not say to forsake possible employment with a less then reputable employer.
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

For FRACK'S SAKE. I just was forced by Windows to enter a "Hello PIN" AGAIN just so I could get into the the system and DELETE IT AGAIN.

[EXPLETE]'s SAKE Microsoft, TAKE. THE. HINT. That's the third time I have turned that setting off IMMEDIATELY after being forced to use it, stop turning it on!

It's bad enough I had to sign in with my password twice in two freaking days (once again, this morning it maes my Dad clearly didn't get to use the computer because it was on but not logged in).

I.

WILL.

NOT.

HAVE.

A [EXPLETIVE] PIN.

FOR. MY. OWN. COMPUTER.

I have a password, and that disrupts thing ENOUGH already when you force a sign-in instead of booting up, I'm not changing one problem for another one which means another pointless thing to have to write down and search out every time.

I would lodge a formal complaint, but OF COURSE MS - like most companies - are making it as difficult as possible for customers to lodge complaints; and their compliants system is currently borked as well, apparently. Suuuuuure, MS. any excuse eh? Funny how a massive, massive company like yours can afford to have all this stuff all this "virtual agent" crap. but when it isnt working properly, funny how you can't manage to find a single email address to hand out in place, isn't it?

EdIt: I can see we're off to a good start, since Firaxis apparently for no reason, changed the launcher for X-Com 2 (from Steam) and, of course, it meant I needed to reactivate all my mods again. Seriously, X-Com Chimera's been out for what, two-three weeks, why NOW?

(And THEN I had to click Wndows Defender to allow X-Com 2 to run, SERIOUSLY, the hell GIVES this morning...? X-Com 2 hasn't had an update, I'd had have seen it!)

Edit edit:

FRACK. AWESOME.

Apparently? This new launcher for X-Com?

Is BROKEN.

Meaning aside from it not loading mods, it doesn't even LAUNCH THE GAME.

Nice, Firaxis, NICE.

And no work-arounds function. (Oh, you can BET I submitted a support question, though I was cold but polite (far more than I was here), though at the end, I did note I was "extremely displeased."

CLEARLY this launcher ws not tested and should NEVER have been deployed and ABSOLUTELY should have been delayed until normal workign conditions resumed, because I can quite clearly see this was a slapped rush-job and wheover authorised the deployment (and/or whoever psuhed them to do so) ought to lose their heads.

"Currently we are experiencing a high volume of tickets, which means reply times may be longer than initially expected." REALLY? I CAN'T IMAGINE WHY, fracknuggets.

Edit edti edit: After a good deal more fuming (because, apparently, THIS is the back-breaking straw), I had one last try, because apparently the FRACKWITS who designed the UI for the new launcher? Hid War for the Chosen behind a drop down on the play button. Real smart, numpties, real smart. WftC, at least seems to load with mods; though the poor frackers playing vanilla (or Long War 2) are going to be completely stuffed. And how stable this will be is, I guess a matter for conjecture.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-05-24 at 09:27 AM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

I confess to using 2+ hours of my life watching Backstroke of the West. Hands-down, the best Star War movie ever.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    For FRACK'S SAKE. I just was forced by Windows to enter a "Hello PIN" AGAIN just so I could get into the the system and DELETE IT AGAIN.
    I don't understand why this keeps happening for you? Windows has literally never asked me to enter a PIN on top of my already existing password. I use a local Windows login rather than a Microsoft online one, though, do you?

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    I confess to using 2+ hours of my life watching Backstroke of the West. Hands-down, the best Star War movie ever.
    That's not a confession, it's a boast.

I haven't watched the whole thing but I have watched a fair bit of it.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

7. - Top - End - #277

GreenSorcererElf

[EXPLETE]'s SAKE Microsoft, TAKE. THE. HINT. That's the third time I have turned that setting off IMMEDIATELY after being forced to use it, stop turning it on!

It's bad enough I had to sign in with my password twice in two freaking days (once again, this morning it maes my Dad clearly didn't get to use the computer because it was on but not logged in).

I.

WILL.

NOT.

HAVE.

A [EXPLETIVE] PIN.

FOR. MY. OWN. COMPUTER.

I have a password, and that disrupts thing ENOUGH already when you force a sign-in instead of booting up, I'm not changing one problem for another one which means another pointless thing to have to write down and search out every time.

I would lodge a formal complaint, but OF COURSE MS - like most companies - are making it as difficult as possible for customers to lodge complaints; and their compliants system is currently borked as well, apparently. Suuuuuure, MS. any excuse eh? Funny how a massive, massive company like yours can afford to have all this stuff all this "virtual agent" crap. but when it isnt working properly, funny how you can't manage to find a single email address to hand out in place, isn't it?

EdIt: I can see we're off to a good start, since Firaxis apparently for no reason, changed the launcher for X-Com 2 (from Steam) and, of course, it meant I needed to reactivate all my mods again. Seriously, X-Com Chimera's been out for what, two-three weeks, why NOW?

(And THEN I had to click Wndows Defender to allow X-Com 2 to run, SERIOUSLY, the hell GIVES this morning...? X-Com 2 hasn't had an update, I'd had have seen it!)

Edit edit:

FRACK. AWESOME.

Is BROKEN.

Nice, Firaxis, NICE.

And no work-arounds function. (Oh, you can BET I submitted a support question, though I was cold but polite (far more than I was here), though at the end, I did note I was "extremely displeased."

CLEARLY this launcher ws not tested and should NEVER have been deployed and ABSOLUTELY should have been delayed until normal workign conditions resumed, because I can quite clearly see this was a slapped rush-job and wheover authorised the deployment (and/or whoever psuhed them to do so) ought to lose their heads.

"Currently we are experiencing a high volume of tickets, which means reply times may be longer than initially expected." REALLY? I CAN'T IMAGINE WHY, fracknuggets.

Edit edti edit: After a good deal more fuming (because, apparently, THIS is the back-breaking straw), I had one last try, because apparently the FRACKWITS who designed the UI for the new launcher? Hid War for the Chosen behind a drop down on the play button. Real smart, numpties, real smart. WftC, at least seems to load with mods; though the poor frackers playing vanilla (or Long War 2) are going to be completely stuffed. And how stable this will be is, I guess a matter for conjecture.
    {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-05-24 at 01:30 PM.
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I don't understand why this keeps happening for you? Windows has literally never asked me to enter a PIN on top of my already existing password. I use a local Windows login rather than a Microsoft online one, though, do you?
    MS account password, since that was necessary to get it autheticated after the last (or previous, I forget) HDD change, given the problems I had at the time (they basically generated me a new key).

(I will re-iterate what I said at the time that happened; the gentleman on the phone at that point of the company were efficient, competent and knew what they were doing, and I felt they seemed unreasonably pleased that I was being polite an reasonable, which probably meant they were used to getting a lot of flack. Now, if they could manage that with the rest of the company, MS would be frellin' golden.)

I suspect it happens when they do an update or smething, though I don't remember it being "update and shut down" last night, but I could have missed it if I was only paying half-attention.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-05-24 at 01:37 PM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Is BROKEN.

Nice, Firaxis, NICE.

"Funny" thing: the update immediately before the new launcher, about a week and a half ago, just plain crashed due to a missing executable. It looks a heck of a lot like one still-in-development component got pushed out by accident, followed by a frantic rush to move forward to recover; because as near as I can tell the primary/only point of the new launcher is to shove 2K's other games in people's faces, and that suffers if people are too infuriated with the launcher to care.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

Ughr, a customer yelled at me because I asked him to wait behind the line (he apparently thought he was off the hook because he just stomped up and tossed the money on the counter). The next customer leapt to my defence by saying "He's only doing his job!".

I'm getting so fed up of retail.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

11. - Top - End - #281

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    Ughr, a customer yelled at me because I asked him to wait behind the line (he apparently thought he was off the hook because he just stomped up and tossed the money on the counter). The next customer leapt to my defence by saying "He's only doing his job!".

Ugh, I'm sorry you have to deal with that. That just sounds so... degrading. Even more so than retail work sounds normally.
    A diamond necklace played the pawn
    Hand in hand some drummed along, oh
    To a handsome man and baton (Bygone, bygone)
    A blind class aristocracy
    Back through the opera glass you see
    The pit and the pendulum drawn (Bygone, bygone)
    Columnated ruins domino

My avatar was made by a very lovely chap by the name of smutmulch. That was very cool of them.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1 View Post
    Ugh, I'm sorry you have to deal with that. That just sounds so... degrading. Even more so than retail work sounds normally.
    It's basically what my experience of retail is at the moment. Getting misgendered no matter how well I think I pass that day, and getting yelled at for enforcing the store's lockdown measures.
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

13. - Top - End - #283

Aw, I'm so sorry Brioche. That's awesome! They probably think they did a good job by defending you too... that sucks.

I hope one day you're able to get out of retail so you don't have to deal with this nonsense.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

It's basically what my experience of retail is at the moment. Getting misgendered no matter how well I think I pass that day, and getting yelled at for enforcing the store's lockdown measures.
    For what it's worth, having seen the pictures that you've shared of yourself, you don't look like a "he" to me.

15. - Top - End - #285

I'd love to say we have it across the pond, but... No. No we do not. No we certainly do not.
    Columnated ruins domino

My avatar was made by a very lovely chap by the name of smutmulch. That was very cool of them.

16. - Top - End - #286

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    For what it's worth, having seen the pictures that you've shared of yourself, you don't look like a "he" to me.
    I ditto this response.

Side employment:

sig thread is here

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

I ditto this response.
    Aye, that's what a lot of people say (I mean, just that very morning I was chatting with my cis colleague about bras, and she was scoffing at the idea I'd need plastic surgery to look feminine).

Problem is, getting unambiguously misgendered is enough to ruin my entire day at the best of times.

18. - Top - End - #288

Had an interesting experience today, which I will copy paste from chat programs here instead of writing out uniquely because I'm tired.

Spoiler: Canada dot text
    Show
    so, I went to pick up medicine today
    and I have a fun story to tell!
    me and Mom went to get a mcdonalds burger after getting my medicine since I was hungry and she wanted a drink after acing a job interview
    so we go get our burger, go to pay, and
    the person ahead of us paid!
    so
    WE pay for thet person BEHIND us
    and as we're driving out we see the people who bought for us idling to organize food
    so we stop near them and are like
    heey
    thank you!
    and THEY tell US
    they had THEIR food paid for
    so they just did the same
    and when we told them we did the same
    they told us "oh then we owe you!"
    which is a ****ing Canadian ass thing to say.
    Mom joked about NAAAW, not at all
    and we drove off smiling and saying have a good day.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-05-25 at 07:05 PM.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

AH! I finally got my laptop back! (I handed for repairs like three days before everybody got locked up inside.)
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Work today was continuing the process of getting the newly-completed Aotrs starfleet (at both starships and 6mm/fighter scale) ready for realise, which means doing all the vessel write-ups. (Because all releases have to have accompanying fluff, even though the expectation is that probably no-one will use it, but that's not the POINT.)

Said write-ups which need a bit more than the two or three lines most of them have had for a quarter of a century... So I've managed to only get three ships done, and one of THOSE is one of the five Too Big To Have A model...!

So, naturally, this process ended up with me having to go back and make sure I'd defined all 10 generations of the Aotrs starfleet in Accelerate and Attack's tech tree; which meant back-working from the current 10th generation - Tech Level 9) backwards. Fortunately, generation 4 was really just generation 3.51, so it actually all fitted quite nicely, with a bit of a squint, but that's wlasy the way when you try to simulate something as a game-mechanic system, isn't it?

1Generation 3 was something of a ball's up. The 10th generation may have a reputation for being undefeated, but that's co's the Aotrs has already MADE all the frack-ups over the centuries, and because there is no haemoharrging of the skill base, they don't make the same mistakes again the next time...

21. - Top - End - #291

LaZodiac, that is absolutely awesome!

Side employment:

sig thread is here

22. - Top - End - #292

LaZodiac, that is absolutely awesome!
    It really quite was. I hope stuff like that happens more, make the world a bit brighter.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Default anRe: Anonymouswizard's Random Banter #227 and Free Cup of Tea

Some conversations with a friend led me to rethink some of my problems. So, that said-- this is going to be me being kind of gloomy again. I'm sorry.

Spoiler: If you'd rather skip me being morose, go ahead.
    Show
    I don't really relate to people very well and I feel like I get rejected a lot. Occasionally my friend will reassure me by saying that "people in Oregon are like that."

This led me to think that maybe I wasn't socialized properly for my personality? I'm Oregonian and as a people we're sort of cold and depressive, I am too, I think. We're also pretty passive-aggressive and faux-friendly, which I try to not be. Oregon is also one of those places where everyone is from somewhere else and nobody intends to stay-- everyone is just here on their way to somewhere else. I feel like I'd leave too, if I had someplace to go, but I don't. Maybe I would if I were smarter, more driven or more talented.

I wish that I was better with people leaving. I wish that I was better at understanding when people don't want me around. My friend's comments also make me wonder about other places... Are there places where friendship and love are easier to come by and easier to keep? Maybe in another universe there's a better, happier, healthier version of me that grew up in a place like that?

Offsetting the gloominess, here's a joke.

A minister, a priest and a rabbit walk into a blood bank. The rabbit says, "I think I'm a Type-O."

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: anRe: Anonymouswizard's Random Banter #227 and Free Cup of Tea

Show
    I don't really relate to people very well and I feel like I get rejected a lot. Occasionally my friend will reassure me by saying that "people in Oregon are like that."

This led me to think that maybe I wasn't socialized properly for my personality? I'm Oregonian and as a people we're sort of cold and depressive, I am too, I think. We're also pretty passive-aggressive and faux-friendly, which I try to not be. Oregon is also one of those places where everyone is from somewhere else and nobody intends to stay-- everyone is just here on their way to somewhere else.
    Huh. If that's really true about Oregon in general, then Portland must be way worse than everywhere else here that I remember; Salem was sort of close, but it didn't give me quite the same "uncomfortably sterile" vibe.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Urrrgh. So, having FINALLY done what I THINK is all I'm actually going to add for 3.Aotrs (sans a bit of domains write up and finishing the Summon Bestiary), I started the labourous process of spellchecking and paginating the other documents.

Foolishly decided I would bite the bullet and ACTUALLY do proper page references for the feats, using the spreadsheet I use for spells.

Realising OF COURSE, that unlike the spells, the feat list document helpfully has superscripts after the feat names for stuff and the some of the feats have tags in the titles. So, I thinks, easy find/replace, yes? Then all the feats from my index in the word document will have a page reference.

No. No, of course it took me the rest of tonight to just get the GENERAL feats sorted out (admittedly, that is 30/50 pages of the feat list and 75/130 of the feats document, YES I have a list of feats 50 pags long, seriously what did you expect at this point afte porting half of pathfinder into probably 2/3 of 3.5...). As, of course, I had to down down the list and find all the ones that had a spelling mistake or the wrong apostrophy (I don't even on this one Word and Excel). Fortunately, having set up my spreadsheet so it automatically says "flag" on the ones that aren't right, it's fairly easy to track them down, but there's still 1216 general/combat feat to work down...)

Tomorrow, then - assuming I don't spend several hours on the phone again - I MIGHT even get through the rest of them and MAYBE get the spellcheck done of the classes/class features doument (they have enough page breaks that I shouldn't need to do much if any paginating, though) then just a final pass through the powers and I might actually have something to look at printing out/sending to my players.

(I won't print out just yet, because you KNOW the second I do I'll find I need to do something else, and there remains a slim possiibility that one or two of my players might even read bits of what I'm sending them and find the inevitable types and stuff I've missed... I mean, I hardly expect them to be so board as to read all 900-pages and such, but... Maybe a little bit after nine months of solid graft, you know...?)

26. - Top - End - #296

Show

This led me to think that maybe I wasn't socialized properly for my personality? I'm Oregonian and as a people we're sort of cold and depressive, I am too, I think. We're also pretty passive-aggressive and faux-friendly, which I try to not be. Oregon is also one of those places where everyone is from somewhere else and nobody intends to stay-- everyone is just here on their way to somewhere else. I feel like I'd leave too, if I had someplace to go, but I don't. Maybe I would if I were smarter, more driven or more talented.

I wish that I was better with people leaving. I wish that I was better at understanding when people don't want me around. My friend's comments also make me wonder about other places... Are there places where friendship and love are easier to come by and easier to keep? Maybe in another universe there's a better, happier, healthier version of me that grew up in a place like that?
    Try Shangri-la.

In all seriousness though, I was curious, so I searched for data on the subject. What I found wasn't perfect, but I managed to find a map of the US based on how many people said they ween't married on there taxes, which isn't a exact match for this situation, but it was the best I could find.

What I said for Oregon was that around 50% of the population was unmarried, which is quite a bit, but not that much compared to other states like Louisiana, California, and New York, which approached 55%. Heck, 50% isn't any more than my home state, Missouri.

The states that had the least unmarried people living in them were Utah and Idaho, which is probably because of the high Mormon population, so if you are looking for a place where love comes easier, I wouldn't recommend using these stats unless you're interested in changing religions.

I couldn't find data for friendships, but personally? Without any had data on the subject I can't really say if the people of Oregon are more distant. They could be, sure, but the cynical old me is inclined to think that people are just becoming more socially isolated everywhere, not just Oregon, and this has been happening for years.

Chin up, The Fury, we might all be alone, but we're all alone together!
    Columnated ruins domino

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Some conversations with a friend led me to rethink some of my problems. So, that said-- this is going to be me being kind of gloomy again. I'm sorry.

Show

All I can recommend is, maybe see if you can get a telephone appointment with a mind doctor? They'll be able to point you towards resources that could work, mine's enrolled me on a good anti-social anxiety course (which I need to remember to complete). While we can offer hugs and support, a proper psychologist can tell you if you do have a problem, and help you start overcoming it.

Offsetting the gloominess, here's a joke.

A minister, a priest and a rabbit walk into a blood bank. The rabbit says, "I think I'm a Type-O."
    Here's one to cheer you up:
    A horse walks into a bar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The barman asks them 'why the long face?'
    Spoiler
    Show
    The horse replies 'my wife just died.'

In other news, I might be being poly at the moment. Yes, it's all above board, the holdup is the fact that it's not like I'm going to find another person who wants to date me.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    In other news, I might be being poly at the moment. Yes, it's all above board, the holdup is the fact that it's not like I'm going to find another person who wants to date me.
    I mean, you have infinitely more people wanting to date you than the last time you said you were sure nobody would want to date you, so, hey, the statistics are in your favour.

29. - Top - End - #299

That's a good one! I like it!

Side employment:

sig thread is here

30. - Top - End - #300
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1 View Post
    In all seriousness though, I was curious, so I searched for data on the subject. What I found wasn't perfect, but I managed to find a map of the US based on how many people said they weren't married on their taxes, which isn't an exact match for this situation, but it was the best I could find.

What I said for Oregon was that around 50% of the population was unmarried, which is quite a bit, but not that much compared to other states like Louisiana, California, and New York, which approached 55%. Heck, 50% isn't any more than my home state, Missouri.

The states that had the least unmarried people living in them were Utah and Idaho, which is probably because of the high Mormon population, so if you are looking for a place where love comes easier, I wouldn't recommend using these stats unless you're interested in changing religions.
    You'd also need to account for unmarried cohabiting couples, who'd be more common in states with more liberal social outlooks like California and NY. That'd probably be doable with census data, but the US census website is a nightmare for getting coherent information out of and I'm really lazy writing job applications.

That was excellent.