New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Anonymouswizard's Random Banter #227 and Free Cup of Tea

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Oh man, the first Halo was something magical. There's two genres I typically hate, first-person shooters and horror. And there's two games which absolutely overcome those biases, Halo and Bioshock. And if I had to choose one to reign supreme, it'd be Halo. Far and away one of the best games ever made. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Lightning in a bottle, I tells ya. They were able to instill majesty and terror as well as anything I can remember.
    Hey, have I mentionned Prey, yet? I feel like I have.

Okay, I'll stop pluging this game, now.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Don't be so sure...
    Show
    I'm super interested in resin printers, especially given recent events.

For those unfamiliar with the fun of owning a 3D printer....
    Spoiler: This is NOT what infill should look like.
    Show

Spoiler: This is NOT what a raft should look like
    Show

Spoiler: This is NOT what a nozzle-free extruder should look like.
    Show
    There is really only one apprproate reaction.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    That was milder than my reaction by several orders of magnitude.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #514
    Troll in the Playground

Oh man, the first Halo was something magical. There's two genres I typically hate, first-person shooters and horror. And there's two games which absolutely overcome those biases, Halo and Bioshock. And if I had to choose one to reign supreme, it'd be Halo. Far and away one of the best games ever made. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Lightning in a bottle, I tells ya. They were able to instill majesty and terror as well as anything I can remember.
    From just playing the original recently, it definitely has... aged. I see where the good lies, but, man, does it show the rough spots. That's what happens when you influence all the games in your genre that come after you, though.

5. - Top - End - #515

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    From just playing the original recently, it definitely has... aged. I see where the good lies, but, man, does it show the rough spots. That's what happens when you influence all the games in your genre that come after you, though.
    I don't know if I'd agree, actually. All the rough spots I can think of were already notable at the time (the biggest, of course, being the Library, and the lesser Library-style repetitiveness scattered around. **** the Library), so I can't think of a while lot that's not as it was in the beginning. Of course, I don't play the games it influenced, so that may have something to do with it for me. In interested in what aged for you, though.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Huh, that's a lot like how I feel about Unreal. It occasionally hit the mark on the horror it was clearly half-heartedy trying for, but those actually-open-3D environments were gorgeous....I'm sure the combination of the two is why the not-really-trying-for-horror-at-all Unreal Tournament series, and the rendering engine itself, took off so much better.

Conversely, System Shock excelled at the immersion and horror, but had a horribly jarring interface because "first-person" as a genre was nascent at the time...like, it was underwhelming on sales because it was competing with the similarly-new Doom. Things get messy from there...in addition to the obvious actual sequel (System Shock 2, which itself was underwhelming on sales because it was competing with the similarly-new Half-Life), key people later on created the Deus Ex and Bioshock series (see, there's a point to this particular digression!).
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

7. - Top - End - #517
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know if I'd agree, actually. All the rough spots I can think of were already notable at the time (the biggest, of course, being the Library, and the lesser Library-style repetitiveness scattered around. **** the Library), so I can't think of a while lot that's not as it was in the beginning. Of course, I don't play the games it influenced, so that may have something to do with it for me. In interested in what aged for you, though.
    There's a lot of repeats on assets (that's most noticeable on the Library, but it's obvious in a lot of other places, as you mentioned), the Waypointing is basically non-existent and it's super easy to miss where you're going, physics is... merely a suggestion to vehicles.

A lot of it's just QOL stuff. Like the physics. And not being able to use the energy sword. And I'm used to Melee stuff feeling a lot more consistent, especially in Halo in particular. And a lot of the time (mostly with the Flood), they like to drop enemies on top of you with little warning. And, on the story side of things, there's a lot of "and then we gloss over the important stuff." (Like how they manage to get away from a covenant battleship in a single dropship, when the whole ship - and presumably its fighters and stuff - are on alert.) Don't get me wrong, they basically fix everything that I gripe about as the series goes on, which is exactly what a series should do. It just... man, seeing what stuff has become, it feels hard to go back.

8. - Top - End - #518

There's a lot of repeats on assets (that's most noticeable on the Library, but it's obvious in a lot of other places, as you mentioned), the Waypointing is basically non-existent and it's super easy to miss where you're going, physics is... merely a suggestion to vehicles.

A lot of it's just QOL stuff. Like the physics. And not being able to use the energy sword. And I'm used to Melee stuff feeling a lot more consistent, especially in Halo in particular. And a lot of the time (mostly with the Flood), they like to drop enemies on top of you with little warning. And, on the story side of things, there's a lot of "and then we gloss over the important stuff." (Like how they manage to get away from a covenant battleship in a single dropship, when the whole ship - and presumably its fighters and stuff - are on alert.) Don't get me wrong, they basically fix everything that I gripe about as the series goes on, which is exactly what a series should do. It just... man, seeing what stuff has become, it feels hard to go back.
    I don't remember to much half with the way pointing, but by now I've memorized everything so it might not be as big a deal (I did have some way point issues in ODST, which is also a near-perfect Halo game for me). The reusing assets was pretty bad, but aside from the Library, it was worst on Assault on the Control Room, which was my favorite level, so I clearly didn't mind (except in the Library) too much.

The physics, especially vehicle physics, were super fun. I don't care about them being guidelines, they were super fun guidelines.

And I never noticed the glossed over story stuff before. I choose to headcanon that they were able to to the Covenant's open comms network to facilitate the escape there. And, in any event, weren't they more concerned about the Halo artifact at that point? Sure, kill all humans and all, but Halo.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Titan in the Playground

That was milder than my reaction by several orders of magnitude.
    Yeah, but, like, the board has profanity filters, doesn't it?

On my end, at least, we appear to have got the part sorted finally,m despite some bizarre email issues and it should be theorhetically arriving in the next couple of days, so Dad can see if he can fix it.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-06-09 at 01:01 PM.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Troll in the Playground

The physics, especially vehicle physics, were super fun. I don't care about them being guidelines, they were super fun guidelines.
    Yeah, but when you're bumped by a Ghost going 2km/h, and die... feels bad.
    (Especially when the boost isn't until the next game.)

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

Dangit. Started on the Wu Jen spell list (now only the Wu Jen and Shugenja spell lists to do!) and trying to balance it a bit, so that one elemental mastery isn't clearly just straight better (by at LEAST giving them all the same number of elemental speciality spells at each level) and got to 3rd level, where on my temporary list, I'd added loads of metal spells. Gonna have to take a load of those out, maybe switch some stuff around, else Metal will be the Clerly Better Option By Miles...

(And it's kind of sad that there are so few wood spells that every nature-adjacent caster sort of knows all of them, but what can you do; sure as FRACK not adding any more at this point...!)

12. - Top - End - #522
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Dangit. Started on the Wu Jen spell list (now only the Wu Jen and Shugenja spell lists to do!) and trying to balance it a bit, so that one elemental mastery isn't clearly just straight better (by at LEAST giving them all the same number of elemental speciality spells at each level) and got to 3rd level, where on my temporary list, I'd added loads of metal spells. Gonna have to take a load of those out, maybe switch some stuff around, else Metal will be the Clerly Better Option By Miles...

(And it's kind of sad that there are so few wood spells that every nature-adjacent caster sort of knows all of them, but what can you do; sure as FRACK not adding any more at this point...!)
    Are you going to post those sometime they sound cool?
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

13. - Top - End - #523
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well, yesterday. My supervisor at the job asked me to return to work and I yes. I'm going to work 3 days a week starting next Monday. And I'm going to be very careful.

14. - Top - End - #524

GreenSorcererElf

eek Re: Anonymouswizard's Random Banter #227 and Free Cup of Tea

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Well, yesterday. My supervisor at the job asked me to return to work and I yes. I'm going to work 3 days a week starting next Monday. And I'm going to be very careful.
    very careful. very very careful. remember, you can never be to careful

Proudly Chaotic

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

I hope you're either a key worker or working from home, lives are more important than businesses making money (I'll say it now, Workers Lives Matter).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Ettin in the Playground

So... I just got kicked from a TF2 match for being idle... during setup time... as BLU.

Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

17. - Top - End - #527

GreenSorcererElf

you play Titan Fall 2?

Proudly Chaotic

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by el minster View Post
    you play Titan Fall 2?
    No, Team Fortress.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    No, Team Fortress.
    Can't you just collect hats in real life?

I've begun messing around with module creation for NWN2 again, and I'm annoyed at the fact that the Appearance Wizard seems to cause the Toolset to freeze up on Windows 10. I mean it's not a massive deal, I can work around it, and I should probably be messing around with the NWN1 toolset anyway, but I do actually prefer how NEN2 allows you to properly control your party members (plus I only have space for one on my laptop and NWN2 is installed so I can play it). God I remember how annoying it is to write each individual reply on a dialogue tree and keep everything in character, I can see why RPGs tend to railroad you away from neutral into 'saintly paladin or puppy kicking blackguard' again.

Actually, I'm really wanting to go back to messing around with NWN1's toolset, because it's just that little bit easier to use and less buggy. Maybe once I've finished MotB.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I hope you're either a key worker or working from home, lives are more important than businesses making money (I'll say it now, Workers Lives Matter).
    What's a key worker?

21. - Top - End - #531

What's a key worker?
    The same thing as an "essential worker" over here. It's just the British term, I imagine.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

The same thing as an "essential worker" over here. It's just the British term, I imagine.
    Well, I'm not a key worker my job has reopened during the pandemic and I'm not working at home.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

Naw. It's what British people call locksmiths and pianists. Y'know, because they work with keys.

24. - Top - End - #534

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    Naw. It's what British people call locksmiths and pianists. Y'know, because they work with keys.
    Would ya take a butchers at that clanger? That really takes the biscuit. Now, if you want your Britishisms to be tickety-boo, what they call "keys" translates to "bones", so "key workers" are doctors, surgeons, medical professionals. You know, essential workers, like I said! Now if any of the Brits around here say otherwise, don't you listen, they've all gone quids in on trying to confuse Americans. Or, as they call us, "Bumbledoffers".

25. - Top - End - #535
    Colossus in the Playground

Well folks, you lovely band of miscreants who I love so much, I have some cool news for you.

the cover art is done, as is my own working on it into a proper front and back and spine.

I'm so very, very excited for this. The e-reader version is actually already up, but the physical release still has at most 72 hours to finish cooking in the review process.

I am, officially, a published author, and I'm so ****ing happy right now I can't believe it.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Well folks, you lovely band of miscreants who I love so much, I have some cool news for you.

the cover art is done, as is my own working on it into a proper front and back and spine.

I'm so very, very excited for this. The e-reader version is actually already up, but the physical release still has at most 72 hours to finish cooking in the review process.

I am, officially, a published author, and I'm so ****ing happy right now I can't believe it.
    Wow congrats. I love the artwork.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

Congratulations!

Forum rules allowing, can you plug it in some more detail? Or link me to an appropriate place? YA, I'm guessing for the art?

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

28. - Top - End - #538
    Colossus in the Playground

Wow congrats. I love the artwork.
    It's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Congratulations!

Forum rules allowing, can you plug it in some more detail? Or link me to an appropriate place? YA, I'm guessing for the art?

Grey Wolf
    I cannot! I will PM you though!

I'd argue more New Adult than Young Adult, but that's a messy and complicated descriptor in the first place.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Titan in the Playground

I'd argue more New Adult

I'mma have to do some googling, aren't I?
    ETA: OK, I think I see the difference.

Not a Newberry Medal contender book, though, right?

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-06-10 at 11:52 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Every night during the pandemic I go to bed at 3 AM and I some up at 12 PM. Well I'll be going to bed real early next week.