New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293045 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Anonymouswizard's Random Banter #227 and Free Cup of Tea

They don't count time like that in France?
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by el minster View Post
    They don't count time like that in France?
    No. We count the morning from midnight to eleven hour fifty nine and the afternoon from noon to eleven hour fifty nine. But even then we generally just count the day from midnight to twenty-three hour fifty nine.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #573

GreenSorcererElf

Fascinating

Proudly Chaotic

4. - Top - End - #574
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Now now, that would be appropriately detailed
    Okay, okay, touché.

Of course, such scenes are more important than saving the world!

Plus, from my extensive discussions with fangirls, I've discovered that heroes always want to get with the villain anyway...
    Well, of course. She's always much sexier than the friend, even if the friend is kinda cute. Besides, everyone always thinks they can change a villain.

5. - Top - End - #575
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    What. You guys count 12, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11?

Whyyyyy?
    I suspect it's because people can't cope with counting including zero, which isn't all that surprising in this context because the twelve-hour system originates with pre-zero mathematics.

The problem is really that the system takes noon as its baseline. Noon should logically be 0.00pm, with midnight being 12pm. Then you can either continue through to 12.59pm or restart the clock from zero again. But starting from zero feels wrong so we start the count from one. That doesn't work, though, because that means 12.01am now falls after noon, which doesn't make sense. So we call that 12.01pm to rectify that... but that doesn't really make sense either, because it's only one minute after noon rather than 12 hours and one minute, and 12pm is total nonsense.

It pays not to think about it too hard because logically it doesn't stack up. At the end of the day, it's just convention. As with most language, how we got here is less important than that people know what you mean when you say it.

In essence it's the same issue we have with the "millennium" (and indeed every decade) which we celebrated a year early because we collectively decided to forget that the count started at 1 rather than zero.

Point this out and people call you a pedant. But it only seems to be a mental barrier when it comes to time, and not, say, money. If I owed someone a thousand bucks, and then paid them $999, on the basis that the zeroth dollar counted, you can be sure they'd have something to say about that.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

6. - Top - End - #576
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    In essence it's the same issue we have with the "millennium" (and indeed every decade) which we celebrated a year early because we collectively decided to forget that the count started at 1 rather than zero.
    It's because we like celebrating when new things happen, and we like round numbers. That's, I imagine, why it happens.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    You wouldn't like my short story then. There's a little girl that has an ice cream cone, which symbolizes her childhood innocence. She drops it by accident, gets a little upset and ducks out of the way when a giant stone hand squashes it.

She of course quips, "Wow. That is a heavy hand."
    Stone? I'm disappointed. The Giant hand could have been made of some variety of pork, and also been closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    If you want to hear my suggestion then I suggest you should get Grammarly. This app will correct your misspelling.
    I thought you stopped using Grammarly some time ago. If you still are using it, then I'm sorry to say it really isn't working very well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Besides, as always, if I want to read something that'll depress me, I can always read the news.
    Oooh, can I recommend you watch the documentary Dear Zachary? And super double secret recommend you absolutely do not look up anything about it online before watching it, if you do intend to watch it?*
    No. We count the morning from midnight to eleven hour fifty nine and the afternoon from noon to eleven hour fifty nine. But even then we generally just count the day from midnight to twenty-three hour fifty nine.
    It's a half hour past noon. Do you say "noon-thirty"? "Oh-thirty"? Be crazy like three Brits and go with "half noon" and somehow not expect thay to mean 6 o'clock?

Me, I'd go with "oh-thirty", but I also want a 0-11 clock system because I have ranted many a time about 12 coming before 1. Or heck, even the 24 hour clock works, which honestly is what I thought most of mainland Europe used already.

Spoiler: No spoilers, just long.
    Show
    The main reason for this is how the movie was made:
    Spoiler: No spoilers beyond a synopsis youd get from any review site or the back of the VHS case back in the Blockbuster days... Just in significantly greater detail
    Show
    A young doctor, Andrew Bagby, is found murdered in a park. Kurt, Andrew's best friend since second grade, is a budding filmmaker since childhood. At the memorial, Kurt is talking to a friend Andrew made in med school, who takes about how he bonded with Andrew over their love of photography.

Kurt never had any idea whatsoever that Andrew enjoyed photography.

So Kurt decided to travel East, from their California home with all their childhood friends to the Pennsylvania town Bagby settled in to practice medicine, to Canada, and even England, where his maternal relatives were. He wanted to make a memorial video for Andrew's parents and friends, to explore the late of his life they may not have known about, so that his memory could live on even stronger. It was originally intended as a personal memento, never to be published and only shared among their private group.

The Bagby family is very quickly pulled into a sordid affair - the suspected murderer claims she is carrying Andrew's child. Kurt decides to shift the tone of the movie; it is now for the sin, to tell him about the father he would never know. Along the way, it turns into a sort of real-time true crime story, as the murder case unfolds, and events occur that again charge the tone of the film, and shed light in the decision to release it publicly.

This will probably negate all my efforts to get you (or most people) to watch it, but it is the epitome of the phrase "a roller-coaster of emotions." I don't think a movie has ever made me angrier, or tossed me so far down a pit of despair, while also eliciting genuine laughs and having, if not a completely heartwarming ending, then as close to one as could be under the circumstances. And that's why I think anyone who wants to watch it** should not look up a single thing about it, since said events, while not exactly famous, will absolutely be the first things popping up in almost any search engine. By watching it blind, you experience it the way it was meant, and the way the filmmaker and family experienced it, which really pulls you in even more and creates a sort of camaraderie. Because the Bagbys are saints, I tells ya!

**And I think everyone should watch it, it's hanfs down the finest documentary I've ever seen, and is able to evoke the emotions the filmmaker felt and wants you to feel without being exploitative. For example, some (accurate, IMO) reviews:

"It is impossible not to be fired up by Kurt Kuenne's incendiary cri de coeur, Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father." - New York Times

"An undeniably shattering story, if forgivably shaky in its impassioned, therapeutic unfolding." - Los Angeles Times.

"Among the most enraging (documentaries) I've ever seen, and while it's fine and heartfelt and I commend it to those of you with strong constitutions, it is the film that has finally broken me." - Vulture

"Kuenne lovingly assembles home-movie footage and new interviews, while deftly borrowing a narrative trick from fiction--the plot twist--to create a true-crime story so gripping, devastating, and ultimately unforgettable that it easily trumps any thriller Hollywood has to offer this year." - The Village Voice

"Without becoming a screed for victims' rights, the riveting film shows how in the face of terrible events a grieving parent is galvanized into activism." - The Hollywood Reporter
    And, I should note, these were all from overwhelmingly positive reviews. It got a standing ovation at Cannes. It is far and away the best documentary I have seen. I think everyone should see it at some point. But you definitely should be prepared for it.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-06-11 at 08:37 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Stone? I'm disappointed. The Giant hand could have been made of some variety of pork, and also been closed.
    Ah, yes. Bacon-punched{.}

EDIT:T he best word to choose in a game of Hangman, assuming that the guessers are all native English-speakers and that the selection of available words is "any word for which everyone present knows the meaning" is...

Piñata.

It's not technically an English word, but most English-speakers know it anyway (so it's technically usable by the rules given) and it contains a letter other than the traditional 26. Nobody will guess it.

It's also humorous in that context of that game.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-06-11 at 08:46 AM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

Oooh, can I recommend you watch the documentary Dear Zachary?
    I've just said I'm really not looking for depressing stories about the end of innocence and your recommendation is a "roller coaster of emotions" documentary that opens with the death of a parent? That does not sound like a barrel of laughs.

Although, speaking of, any luck with Pratchett?

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ettin in the Playground

I've just said I'm really not looking for depressing stories about the end of innocence and your recommendation is a "roller coaster of emotions" documentary that opens with the death of a parent? That does not sound like a barrel of laughs.

Grey Wolf
    Maybe he missed the word "not"
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

11. - Top - End - #581

Grey Wolf
    It's absolutely not a barrel of laughs, but I would describe it more as "travel through the deepest dark to get to the light at the end". It's definitely not about the end of innocence (well...that argument could be made, I suppose, but I would contest it) so much as it is about resilience, and being able to keep going even when the feeling to give up is impossibly overwhelming. And putting good into the world despite anything that may happen.

But yeah, there's a reason I wrote so much about how emotional it gets - I think everyone should watch it, but I don't want to trick anyone into watching it, and I understand if any decide to not. Like I said, I realized I was undercutting my efforts to entice you, and I still think that's the right way to go about it. I think everyone should watch it, but nobody should watch it without being prepared for it.

Grey Wolf
    Well, it's in English, so that helps. The very jumpy format I'm not a huge fan of, but I'm enjoying it so far. Much lighter than Dear Zachary.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-06-11 at 08:55 AM.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Titan in the Playground

It's a half hour past noon. Do you say "noon-thirty"? "Oh-thirty"? Be crazy like three Brits and go with "half noon" and somehow not expect thay to mean 6 o'clock?
    Either ‘midi et demi’ (literally ‘noon and a half’) or ‘douze heure trente’ (literally twelve hour thirty).

Are you sure you positionned that spoiler box right?
    Forum Wisdom

13. - Top - End - #583

Are you sure you positionned that spoiler box right?
    It was originally un-spoilered asterisk continuation, and when I decided to spoiler it for length, I just didn't think to take out the asterisks and move it. So....yes? I guess?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-06-11 at 09:03 AM.

14. - Top - End - #584
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I thought you stopped using Grammarly some time ago. If you still are using it, then I'm sorry to say it really isn't working very well.

Oooh, can I recommend you watch the documentary Dear Zachary? And super double secret recommend you absolutely do not look up anything about it online before watching it, if you do intend to watch it?*

Me, I'd go with "oh-thirty", but I also want a 0-11 clock system because I have ranted many a time about 12 coming before 1. Or heck, even the 24 hour clock works, which honestly is what I thought most of mainland Europe used already.

Spoiler: No spoilers, just long.
    Show
    The main reason for this is how the movie was made:
    Spoiler: No spoilers beyond a synopsis youd get from any review site or the back of the VHS case back in the Blockbuster days... Just in significantly greater detail
    Show
    A young doctor, Andrew Bagby, is found murdered in a park. Kurt, Andrew's best friend since second grade, is a budding filmmaker since childhood. At the memorial, Kurt is talking to a friend Andrew made in med school, who takes about how he bonded with Andrew over their love of photography.

Kurt never had any idea whatsoever that Andrew enjoyed photography.

So Kurt decided to travel East, from their California home with all their childhood friends to the Pennsylvania town Bagby settled in to practice medicine, to Canada, and even England, where his maternal relatives were. He wanted to make a memorial video for Andrew's parents and friends, to explore the late of his life they may not have known about, so that his memory could live on even stronger. It was originally intended as a personal memento, never to be published and only shared among their private group.

The Bagby family is very quickly pulled into a sordid affair - the suspected murderer claims she is carrying Andrew's child. Kurt decides to shift the tone of the movie; it is now for the sin, to tell him about the father he would never know. Along the way, it turns into a sort of real-time true crime story, as the murder case unfolds, and events occur that again charge the tone of the film, and shed light in the decision to release it publicly.

This will probably negate all my efforts to get you (or most people) to watch it, but it is the epitome of the phrase "a roller-coaster of emotions." I don't think a movie has ever made me angrier, or tossed me so far down a pit of despair, while also eliciting genuine laughs and having, if not a completely heartwarming ending, then as close to one as could be under the circumstances. And that's why I think anyone who wants to watch it** should not look up a single thing about it, since said events, while not exactly famous, will absolutely be the first things popping up in almost any search engine. By watching it blind, you experience it the way it was meant, and the way the filmmaker and family experienced it, which really pulls you in even more and creates a sort of camaraderie. Because the Bagbys are saints, I tells ya!

**And I think everyone should watch it, it's hanfs down the finest documentary I've ever seen, and is able to evoke the emotions the filmmaker felt and wants you to feel without being exploitative. For example, some (accurate, IMO) reviews:

And, I should note, these were all from overwhelmingly positive reviews. It got a standing ovation at Cannes. It is far and away the best documentary I have seen. I think everyone should see it at some point. But you definitely should be prepared for it.
    I'm still using Grammarly and so far it's working great.

15. - Top - End - #585

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I'm still using Grammarly and so far it's working great.
    It's really not, I'm sorry to say. That's the problem with grammar programs - they don't do a good job and they also don't teach grammar, so when they inevitably do poorly, you have no idea.

Because if you're using it, I can attest that it is not working well.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-06-11 at 11:20 AM.

16. - Top - End - #586
    Titan in the Playground

The very jumpy format I'm not a huge fan of
    I'm guessing you refer to how there tend to be two (barely connected) plots in the book, and Pratchett switches between them as the story progresses? Well, the good news is that that eventually goes away - I draw the arbitrary (and fuzzy) line between "Early Pratchett" and "Late Pratchett" at the point where books stop having those two parallel plots.

Unfortunately, I never had a problem with it, so I didn't think to give you a heads-up. Sorry.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

17. - Top - End - #587
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    The best word to choose in a game of Hangman, assuming that the guessers are all native English-speakers and that the selection of available words is "any word for which everyone present knows the meaning" is...

Piñata.

It's not technically an English word, but most English-speakers know it anyway (so it's technically usable by the rules given) and it contains a letter other than the traditional 26. Nobody will guess it.

It's also humorous in that context of that game.
    If you're going to allow words people know that contain non-English characters, how about כּשׁר or حلال‎? Or any other loanwords from languages that use non-Latin scripts.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    If you're going to allow words people know that contain non-English characters, how about כּשׁר or حلال‎? Or any other loanwords from languages that use non-Latin scripts.
    Because those aren't how the audience spells them.

English-speakers (at least in America) know about the correct spelling of "Piñata" but they (generally) wouldn't think to try it.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

19. - Top - End - #589

English-speakers (at least in America) know about the correct spelling of "Piñata" but they (generally) wouldn't think to try it.
    They could guess n. The diacritic doesn't change it as letter any more than capualization changes letters. For example if you chose "Ether" as your word and they guessed "e", you wouldn't write _ _ _ e _, only putting in the lowercase e because they didn't say "capital E". Or, if you chose a band, they wouldn't need to say "backwards R" to have the letter r appear for the band Korn.

The ñ trick is stacking the deck and not playing fairly. And that's ignoring that with other commonly guessed letters, like i, a, and t, it could be guessed anyway.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-06-11 at 12:11 PM.

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

"ñ" may be a separate letter in Spanish, but in English, it is just a regular n with a diacritic mark on top. In hang-man, if someone calls out n, you'd need to fill in ñ, and at that point they'd probably guess the word.

I mean, you can of course cheat, but if so, there are easier ways to cheat.

Grey Wolf

21. - Top - End - #591
    Titan in the Playground

The ñ trick is stacking the deck and not playing fairly. And that's ignoring that with other commonly guessed letters, like i, a, and t, it could be guessed anyway.
    And apparently, "pinata" is common enough to be listed as a variant by the likes of Merriam-Webster.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

22. - Top - End - #592
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

It's really not, I'm sorry to say. That's the problem with grammar programs - they don't do a good job and they also don't teach grammar, so when they inevitably do poorly, you have no idea.

Because if you're using it, I can attest that it is not working well.
    Maybe I should try Grammarly Premium. It's an upgrade of Grammarly but It requires money to get Grammarly Premium.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

They could guess n. The diacritic doesn't change it as letter any more than capualization changes letters. For example if you chose "Ether" as your word and they guessed "e", you wouldn't write _ _ _ e _, only putting in the lowercase e because they didn't say "capital E". Or, if you chose a band, they wouldn't need to say "backwards R" to have the letter r appear for the band Korn.

It's one of those cases of 'a legitimate trick, shame nobody wants to play with you again'. Like using a proper noun or uncommon variant spelling (such as UK English in a game with Americans, or vise-versa).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

24. - Top - End - #594

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    You speak Hebrew ?

Proudly Chaotic

25. - Top - End - #595

"ñ" may be a separate letter in Spanish, but in English, it is just a regular n with a diacritic mark on top. In hang-man, if someone calls out n, you'd need to fill in ñ, and at that point they'd probably guess the word.

I mean, you can of course cheat, but if so, there are easier ways to cheat.

Grey Wolf
    Huh. This is someone I'd like to hear more from.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-06-11 at 01:11 PM.

26. - Top - End - #596
    Titan in the Playground

My own favorite word for hangman is zigzag, because not only do people rarely guess the z, but in French it's spelled "zig-zag" and how many people do you think will think of "-"?
    Forum Wisdom

27. - Top - End - #597
    Troll in the Playground

My own favorite word for hangman is zigzag, because not only do people rarely guess the z, but in French it's spelled "zig-zag" and how many people do you think will think of "-"?
    I enjoy using 'halcyon' for hangman. Not only because I think it's a good word, and I like using it whenever I can, but because it's uncommon enough that it doesn't immediately spring to mind.

28. - Top - End - #598

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I enjoy using 'halcyon' for hangman. Not only because I think it's a good word, and I like using it whenever I can, but because it's uncommon enough that it doesn't immediately spring to mind.
    Ahh, the halcyon days of hangman.

"Lazy" works for me. I don't have to keep track too hard, which is good, seeing as I'm lazy.

29. - Top - End - #599

GreenSorcererElf

What about "za", it's in the scrabble dictionary?
    Last edited by el minster; 2020-06-11 at 10:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Last night I dream of a dragon deity: Aasterinian and Lendys. They were fighting for an ethical reason to have Chaos and Law clashed each other. However one of their siblings Sardior made a special appearance to stop fighting to balance the Chaos and Law together.