New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Anonymouswizard's Random Banter #227 and Free Cup of Tea

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    *Tyrion looks around at the survivors, which include a princess trained by shapeshifting assassins and who killed an unkillable immortal king, a prince and son of an ancient lineage who has died and come back and is theoretically the chosen of the God of the Sun*

I think we all know who has the most interesting story here. *Gives the iron crown to Bran, of all people, who was friends with a furry and has broken legs.*
    I have never and will never give a flying flamingo about the tv show, I am talking about the book.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I remember a long time ago ever since that I was a teenager at a camping trip with my old childhood school. I've gotten into a fight with one of the boys at the sleepover. He was making fun of me and I beat him up so badly. I didn't get in trouble. I didn't know better at the time and I should have ignored him.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I have never and will never give a flying flamingo about the tv show, I am talking about the book.
    Sorry, that was a bit of a misread on my part then.

For what it's worth I agree! Book's way better than the show in a lot of ways.

Unrelated @Mith if you see this your PMs are full!
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-06-12 at 05:17 PM.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry, that was a bit of a misread on my part then.

For what it's worth I agree! Book's way better than the show in a lot of ways.
    So may I suggest giving them another shot but starting with the first book this time around?
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-06-12 at 05:20 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

5. - Top - End - #635

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    So may I suggest giving them another shot but starting with the first book this time around?
    I've considered it. Thankfully I've got like, an infinite amount of time to read right now since losing my job and plague times, so maybe I will.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Titan in the Playground

I've considered it. Thankfully I've got like, an infinite amount of time to read right now since losing my job and plague times, so maybe I will.
    Well, there's a silver lining to everything!

Seriously, though, I wish you the best.
    Forum Wisdom

7. - Top - End - #637
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

mad Re: Anonymouswizard's Random Banter #227 and Free Cup of Tea

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Grumble grumble it would have been better to keep Harmony in the background grumble grumble
    I like The Path.
    Last edited by el minster; 2020-06-12 at 06:04 PM.
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by el minster View Post
    I like The Path.
    I'm referring to the end of Alloy of Law.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

Battletech is a game that is very hit or miss. Namely that until you're out of medium mech hell you miss all your shots and they hit all theirs. Sometimes the dice are bad today, and you just kinda have to live with it.
    Just could have done without that on the day my grandmother died, y'know? Maybe have five minutes where Reality wasn't, as I have said in various places today, not [urinating] into my cereal, like it has for the past three days. Did another couple of missions (which did not go that badly) and then called it quits while I was ahead.

10. - Top - End - #640

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Just could have done without that on the day my grandmother died, y'know? Maybe have five minutes where Reality wasn't, as I have said in various places today, not [urinating] into my cereal, like it has for the past three days. Did another couple of missions (which did not go that badly) and then called it quits while I was ahead.
    Yeah, that ****ing sucks man. I hope things turn for the better for you.

11. - Top - End - #641
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I'm referring to the end of Alloy of Law.
    I read it a while ago, care to trigger my memory? The only thing I remember at the end of that book was that bad guy with nigh infinite healing getting executed by firing squad.
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

12. - Top - End - #642
    Troll in the Playground

My sympathies to all who've been having a rough time lately. The pandemic and everything has spirits low already, so it saddens me that people are just getting kicked and hurt while they're down. If anyone needs a shoulder to cry on, or to yell at, I can provide one.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    My sympathies to all who've been having a rough time lately. The pandemic and everything has spirits low already, so it saddens me that people are just getting kicked and hurt while they're down. If anyone needs a shoulder to cry on, or to yell at, I can provide one.
    That really means a lot. Thank you. I did type up some stuff about things I've been feeling. It was self-indulgent and whiny, so I think I made the right call by chickening out and sticking it in some other thread.

I've been having a lot of worry about not really being able to be what I want to be, or what others need me to be. For that matter I'm less certain than ever of what that even is.

It's really kind of you to be there for people, just remember to take care of yourself too.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    That really means a lot. Thank you. I did type up some stuff about things I've been feeling. It was self-indulgent and whiny, so I think I made the right call by chickening out and sticking it in some other thread.

I've been having a lot of worry about not really being able to be what I want to be, or what others need me to be. For that matter I'm less certain than ever of what that even is.

It's really kind of you to be there for people, just remember to take care of yourself too.
    I mean, everyone can afford to be self-indulgent sometime. So, don't feel too bad about it.

I very much get the "not knowing what you want to be." The future is stressful, and right now I'm just taking it one day at a time. Thankfully, I'm pretty good at bouncing back. I plateau quickly, in either direction.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ogre in the Playground

There can only be one. You can't please everyone, or live your life for others. If you want to please people, do it on your own terms, as you don't owe anything to anyone. If you feel someone is ungrateful to you, point that out. Most people tend to take things you do for them for granted. Well, truth is, you allow them to, through your interaction with them.

My advice is, stop caring so much of what others think of you. Find what makes you happy, your own set of values to follow, and reward yourself more often.

I've been through a massive depression too. When I was experiencing it, I could only aknowlage the bad aspects of my character, without realizing my good aspects. Same for everyday life, the state of the world etc.

If you feel that what you're doing right now isn't rewarding enough, find something that would make you proud of yourself, and start pursuing it. Like, think of what qualities or abilities you admire in people? Can those be learned? Set short term goals, and go for the end goal 1 step at a time.

Finding what this goal is may take a wile, and a lot of trial and error, but you'll get there eventually, as long as you take steps to explore your options.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Asmotherion; 2020-06-13 at 12:08 AM.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

16. - Top - End - #646
    Ogre in the Playground

I mean, everyone can afford to be self-indulgent sometime. So, don't feel too bad about it.
    I feel like I can be like that a little too often. Though I guess if you're not bothered by me being like that, it's probably OK.

I very much get the "not knowing what you want to be." The future is stressful, and right now I'm just taking it one day at a time. Thankfully, I'm pretty good at bouncing back. I plateau quickly, in either direction.
    Yeah? I sort of wish I was better at bouncing back. So I take this to mean that you've been trying new things? How's that been going?

Quote Originally Posted by Asmotherion View Post
    There can only be one. You can't please everyone, or live your life for others. If you want to please people, do it on your own terms, as you don't owe anything to anyone. If you feel someone is ungrateful to you, point that out. Most people tend to take things you do for them for granted. Well, truth is, you allow them to, through your interaction with them.

My advice is, stop caring so much of what others think of you. Find what makes you happy, your own set of values to follow, and reward yourself more often.

I've been through a massive depression too. When I was experiencing it, I could only aknowlage the bad aspects of my character, without realizing my good aspects. Same for everyday life, the state of the world etc.

If you feel that what you're doing right now isn't rewarding enough, find something that would make you proud of yourself, and start pursuing it. Like, think of what qualities or abilities you admire in people? Can those be learned? Set short term goals, and go for the end goal 1 step at a time.

Finding what this goal is may take a wile, and a lot of trial and error, but you'll get there eventually, as long as you take steps to explore your options.

Hope this helps.
    The main things I want to be are a car mechanic and a good friend. Lately though, I'm feeling like I don't have what it takes to be either. Which sort of leaves me with... I don't know.

The fact that I have trouble with tight parking lots has made most service garages really uninterested in me. So far the most substantive feedback I've gotten has been, "This industry might not be for you, and that's OK."

Fine, I guess. Though I wish I got that advice before doing all that mechanic training.

Not surprisingly, the pandemic has put a lot of strain on my relationships. Enough strain that some of my friends no longer talk to me, (I've gotten into this a little in previous the thread.) There's also the general feeling that sometimes the most helpful thing I can do is to just leave people alone. I also kind of hate that I'm fairly easy to replace, even in this context. I should be glad that people I care about are going to be OK without me, but I still think like that, even though I know it's kind of selfish. I am a bad friend.

...Uh... Sorry... Joke for my next post?

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

So I turned 26 today. I feel old. Also, annoyed that my new teapot needs washing before use.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

18. - Top - End - #648
    Titan in the Playground

There's also the general feeling that sometimes the most helpful thing I can do is to just leave people alone. I also kind of hate that I'm fairly easy to replace, even in this context. I should be glad that people I care about are going to be OK without me, but I still think like that, even though I know it's kind of selfish. I am a bad friend.
    Sounds to me like you're putting a little too much emphasis on your own self-sacrifice....Having been there for a number of years myself, I'm going to say it's critical to realize that friendship should be reciprocal. If the people you care about really find you that readily discardable, were you really friends? Even overlooking that...if you care more about them than they apparently care about you, wouldn't that make you a better friend? You're allowed to care about yourself, especially when it gets into your ability to help the people who are/were/should-be your friends...which of course is nigh impossible if they aren't interacting with you at all.

Also, congratulations on recognizing that sometimes the most helpful thing you can do is just leave people alone. I lost a number of friends, who were convinced I was egotistically more concerned with my ability to solve their problems than I was with their feelings as a person, before I figured out what was going on....Some people want time to work out things themselves, and/or to dull the sense of despair around a problem that may not be as important when looked at from a distance.
    Last edited by Jasdoif; 2020-06-13 at 04:42 PM.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

19. - Top - End - #649

So I turned 26 today. I feel old. Also, annoyed that my new teapot needs washing before use.
    Happy birthday! I'm a year older than you aaaa.

I did some math and **** I'M ACTUALLY TWENTY EIGHT WAAAAAHGH *collapses*

Anyway, ahehm, Fury you are cool and good and a friend I couldn't easily replace.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah? I sort of wish I was better at bouncing back. So I take this to mean that you've been trying new things? How's that been going?
    Eh, it's not really much doing with what I'm doing at the time. Been playing a few new games. But... it's mostly that my state of being tends to bounce back to neutral unless there's something particularly pervasive keeping it up or down. It's been nice and sunny out, been able to chat with friends, and I've mange to keep the clouds of existential dread away.

Oh, happy birthday. Just put it in perspective of... you're only about 8 years into adulthood, out of, like, 70.

Edit:
    Ah, man, I'm the baby whippersnapper here, then.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2020-06-13 at 05:07 PM.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Does 22 win? I'm too young to remember 4E coming out.

22. - Top - End - #652

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    4e is what got me into dnd I just... this made my eyes roll back into my head as I aged a thousand years.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Ettin in the Playground

24 as of about a week-and-a-half ago.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Titan in the Playground

Happy birthday! I'm a year older than you aaaa.

Don't worry, you're not old, just mature

Oh, happy birthday. Just put it in perspective of... you're only about 8 years into adulthood, out of, like, 70.

Edit:

Ah, man, I'm the baby whippersnapper here, then.
    Don't worry, you get to be the cute one we all want to cuddle.

What is this 4e of which you speak? Did they finally fix the numbering instead of jumpinf from 3.5 to 5?

4e is what got me into dnd I just... this made my eyes roll back into my head as I aged a thousand years.
    I started on BECM, so yeah, I wasn't really a fan of 4e's minis focus and powers system.

I've grown to like 5e, but that's really only been since the Eberron book came out, because I like the setting and they've released a good version of the Artificer. But I still miss Elf being a class.

Show

25. - Top - End - #655
    Troll in the Playground

22 for myself, as well.
    4e also got me into D&D, when I was just entering middle school. Friend invited me for a game with some other friends, run by his dad. It lasted only two sessions, but that kickstarted my tabletop love.
    ...and also my long line of Dragonborn Paladins.

Edit:
    Don't worry, you get to be the cute one we all want to cuddle.
    I'm not that cute!

What is this 4e of which you speak? Did they finally fix the numbering instead of jumpinf from 3.5 to 5?
    Hey, some people like 4e.
    (I do admit it would likely have been better received if it wasn't marketed as a replacement, but... c'est la vie.)
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2020-06-13 at 06:36 PM.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not that cute!
    I've seen a picture and beg to differ.

Hey, some people like 4e.
    (I do admit it would likely have been better received if it wasn't marketed as a replacement, but... c'est la vie.)
    Eh, I actually have a lot of respect for 4e, but it strays very far from what I understand D&D to be, with it's obsessive combat and balance focus (I just ignore 5e's encounter guidelines and XP system, throwing whatever makes sense at the PCs and using Milestones).

Show

27. - Top - End - #657

I'll be honest, I feel old every time I remember that something from my childhood is 20+ years old.

Most recently it was Beast Wars(which I was below the target demographic for. It took me years to understand why Transmutate made me so uncomfortable.)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #658
    Troll in the Playground

I've seen a picture and beg to differ.
    Too bad. Your begging will not make me differ.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

What is this 4e of which you speak? Did they finally fix the numbering instead of jumping from 3.5 to 5?
    Perhaps I should have phrased that as "my inability to remember 4E is due to being nine at the time, not trauma-induced repression".

I still miss Elf being a class.
    I believe the classes are: working, middle, upper-middle, upper, Elf.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Titan in the Playground

Too bad. Your begging will not make me differ.
    You don't need to differ, you're already great.

Sorry, 3.5/4e was an actual thing talked about when I started uni. Most people I played with have now moved onto 5e, seen as basically what 4e should have been. A big complaint was how multiclassing worked, and nobody was willing to shell out for multiple PhBs so we just played 3.5 (or, for my longest running Uni group, Unknown Armies, GURPS, and M%M).

Show