New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Anonymouswizard's Random Banter #227 and Free Cup of Tea

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Here's hoping for a hat trick!

Thanks @Peelee, and best wishes to you and your loved ones as well!

Oh, I have a daughter now - a 24 year-old daughter that I have never met face-to-face and didn't know of until recently, and I really don't remember her mother. A bit awkward in that she was born while my wife and I were dating but not yet married. She asked about family history and seems nice (and her picture looks a lot like my brother, my cousin, and my niece - there's also the blood test).

Since I now have an actual "Millennial" relative I hope to be able to use her generational knowledge to couch me about Harry Potter when discussion vere away from Tolkien and Star Wars.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post

Oh, I have a daughter now - a 24 year-old daughter that I have never met face-to-face and didn't know of until recently, and I really don't remember her mother. A bit awkward in that she was born while my wife and I were dating but not yet married. She asked about family history and seems nice (and her picture looks a lot like my brother, my cousin, and my niece - there's also the blood test).

Since I now have an actual "Millennial" relative I hope to be able to use her generational knowledge to couch me about Harry Potter when discussion vere away from Tolkien and Star Wars.
    Tell her that J.R.R. Tolkien's real name was Jolkien Rolkien Rolkien Tolkien.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #933
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm not going to read any Harry Potter books because due to the horrible truth of J.K Rowling.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

Oh man. That can't be easy. I wish you and your family all the best.
    Why do you you do this to me?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

Congratulations!

As a millennial, I shall point out that hating her hobbies is totally normal and you should be disagreeing about every other sentence.

I still sometimes surprise people with the knowledge that C.S. Lewis's real name was Clive Staples (or Jack for short). It's fun when the names actually are weird as ****. (I literally can't remember what Tolkien's actual name was, but it sounded like a joke when I first read it.)

@Bartmanhomer: I managed to turn a girlfriend off Minecraft recently due to related stuff, and while I can't get overly into details the entire Rowling business makes me angry.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2020-06-24 at 04:53 PM.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I still sometimes surprise people with the knowledge that C.S. Lewis's real name was Clive Staples (or Jack for short). It's fun when the names actually are weird as ****. (I literally can't remember what Tolkien's actual name was, but it sounded like a joke when I first read it.)
    I only remember that stuff because of the Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica series. (Which were actually pretty fun reads.)

7. - Top - End - #937
    Titan in the Playground

John Ronald Reuel Tolkien
    Forum Wisdom

8. - Top - End - #938
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Congratulations!

As a millennial, I shall point out that hating her hobbies is totally normal and you should be disagreeing about every other sentence.

@Bartmanhomer: I managed to turn a girlfriend off Minecraft recently due to related stuff, and while I can't get overly into details the entire Rowling business makes me angry.
    I know. Her comments make me angry as well. I just can't believe she felt that way.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Because I think I'm funny.
    John Ronald Reuel Tolkien
    Mine was better.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-06-24 at 05:59 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I know. Her comments make me angry as well. I just can't believe she felt that way.
    I can't go into detail, but I'd honestly be fine with it being her personal views if she kept them to herself, and if we stop people from saying such things we can't challenge her beliefs. I know many people who have dropped the franchise like a stone because of it.

But over here there's circumstances that make this possibly the worst time to announce those views, and a bad situation is getting worse. That is literally what I can go into here, but if this had all happened a year earlier I'd be somewhat less fussed as I haven't financially supported her for a decade anyway due to unrelated reasons.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

I hate to have to break this to you, but you're French.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-06-24 at 06:27 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

12. - Top - End - #942
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I can't go into detail, but I'd honestly be fine with it being her personal views if she kept them to herself, and if we stop people from saying such things we can't challenge her beliefs. I know many people who have dropped the franchise like a stone because of it.

But over here there's circumstances that make this possibly the worst time to announce those views, and a bad situation is getting worse. That is literally what I can go into here, but if this had all happened a year earlier I'd be somewhat less fussed as I haven't financially supported her for a decade anyway due to unrelated reasons.
    I don't think the time matter in this case even if it happened a year earlier.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Ogre in the Playground

Rowling... Ehh... I'm disappointed in her but not surprised. Which is always kind of painful to say.

Something I wonder though-- years ago, there have been at least a few fans that jumped ship from Ursula K. LeGuin because of her views on fanfic and other transformative works. Since JK Rowling was actively encouraging readers to write fanfics and create other fanworks she seemed very appealing. Now... considering Rowling's views and the kinds of things that LeGuin wrote, (Left Hand of Darkness especially,) I wonder if some of those fans will go back to LeGuin's books.
    Last edited by The Fury; 2020-06-24 at 09:48 PM.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Bugbear in the Playground

I can't imagine caring so much about fanfiction that an author's opinion of it would make you drop them altogether. Especially if that author is Ursula LeGuin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

J.K. Rowling definitely lost her fanbase for good. I can imagine her fans are very heartbroken by the shocking revelations of J.K. Rowling.

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I have no idea what those 'revelations' are, and frankly, I don't care. I never had any trouble detaching a work from its author.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think the time matter in this case even if it happened a year earlier.
    There's things going on here which means that she's pisses off a group with much more important things to be up in arms about. Basically, this would have been ignorable to me if she hadn't revealed these views incredibly close to others acting on then.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    I have no idea what those 'revelations' are, and frankly, I don't care. I never had any trouble detaching a work from its author.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Transphobia. While I don't know the full details, it's very close to the 'they're men who only want access to women's spaces to abuse women' camp.

I completely understand your position, although honestly I don't agree with financially supporting authors with views I inherently disagree on. Therefore, in the unlikely event that Rowling releases a book I actually want to read I'll borrow it from my local library rather than get it on my kindle.

Show

18. - Top - End - #948
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    I can't imagine caring so much about fanfiction that an author's opinion of it would make you drop them altogether. Especially if that author is Ursula LeGuin.
    The revelation that Ursula K. LeGuin would have hated any fanfics that you wrote, regardless of whether or not it's good, is a little much for some people.

Though I would agree, compared to what Rowling has been saying these opinions seem fairly inoffensive.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    I hate to have to break this to you, but you're French.

Grey Wolf
    So, jealousy, then?
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

There's things going on here which means that she's pisses off a group with much more important things to be up in arms about. Basically, this would have been ignorable to me if she hadn't revealed these views incredibly close to others acting on then.

Spoiler
    Show
    Transphobia. While I don't know the full details, it's very close to the 'they're men who only want access to women's spaces to abuse women' camp.

I completely understand your position, although honestly I don't agree with financially supporting authors with views I inherently disagree on. Therefore, in the unlikely event that Rowling releases a book I actually want to read I'll borrow it from my local library rather than get it on my kindle.
    True she should have keep her offensive views to herself. I'm not going to read her books any more or watch any movies. I prefer reading the Book of the Underrealm.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Book of the Underrealm is very inclusive to the LGBT characters especially transgender people.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2020-06-25 at 01:30 AM.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

See, I personally don't buy J. K. Rowling books because I prefer books that are competently written and well plotted, but maybe that's just me...

22. - Top - End - #952
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    See, I personally don't buy J. K. Rowling books because I prefer books that are competently written and well plotted, but maybe that's just me...
    That isn't just you. She got really bad after the first series, but always her books aren't as good as they're made out to be.
    Get your physics out of my D&D!

Proudly Chaotic

Optimism is delusion pessimism will save the world

23. - Top - End - #953
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, this is why I wasn't financially supporting her anyway. Harry Potter is an okay series for twelve year olds, but there's better series out there for them.

Show

24. - Top - End - #954
    Titan in the Playground

(Bless the Playground's post-autosave feature. PC cut out again (after 48 hours of no problems, after beginning to think maybe taking the SD card reader out fixed it *sigh*) and this was still here.)

Authors and creators are not their works.

If you go through history and disgard every single piece of media whose creator was an asshat, you will have precious little media left. (This also applies to Other Histroical Things, meaningful glance at certain quarters who I shall not address.)

See, here's the thing - your media writers are human. Therefore, as there is very scant exceptions to the contrary - stasitically, they will be asshats, because statistically humans are asshats. (Source: ten thousands years plus of human histroy and all current and past events.) Especially if they are not from the current era, that is almost a complete certainty in regard to sensibilities of the modern era.

I can assure you you, if H.P. Lovecraft had a twitter, he would make what Rowling said look like Cliff Richard or something and yet at no point should anyone propose we burn all of his books.

You think Julius Caesar was not an asshat? Or Herodotus? Or Chaucer? Or Shakespeare? Or Leonardo da Vinci?

Granted, it is harder to seperate the twain when the creator is still alive and you certainly don't need to give them more money from that point forwards; but to disgard the media itself when it is not active hate-speech, because the author expouses something you don't agree with (in the mentioned example or any other, whether that is morally or ethicially justifed or not) is foolish.

I stopped watching the Cinema Snob when it became apparent he was an asshat (for reasons which are all to do with him as a person, and not any predjuice (or even especially the Channel Awesome contaversey, it was past that point), it must be noted), but that doesn't mean I immediately regret ever watching anything he did. It doesn't mean his reviews are without merit. I'm not watching anything he does now, because that would be putting money in his pocket (though to be honest, from what a lot of the youtube people say now, probably precious little, actually, but its the principle). But I won't rule out me never watching something he did at some future point.

As another example, there was one very outspoken gentleman on Fimfiction who was... Rather prejudiced in a particular fashion (and eventually took up all his stories and left). But the stories he wrote were extremely good, and his opinions did not perculate into his stories and so I was surprised when I found out, which was at, I think, more or less the point he left. Which further proves my point; in neither of these cases was the media they people produced itself bad, nor tainted.

In short, it's fine to love the work, but damn the artist.

Else doing so says "I want everything I ever do to be judged by my own worst qualities and flaws, too."

(Hell, you should not EVEN attempt to revise media that is out-dated in its contents itself. (Biggles in Australia, for one, springs to mind.) But how will future generations be able to look back and have a jolly old laugh at the concept of how it was before All Stripes Of Factionalism Were Killed Stone Dead And Humanity Actually Became A Worthwhile Species if you don't retain the examples?)

25. - Top - End - #955
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Authors and creators are not their works.
    You're hit the nail on the head regarding the whole 'disconnect the original authorial intent from the author', but the problem with JKR is that unfortunately her personal intent has leeched into her works, often to a disturbing degree. I'm not going to go into detail, because I value my own sanity and self-worth, but:
    Spoiler
    Show
    her adult book The Silkworm (written under the pen name Robert Galbraith, who just so happens to share a name with Robert Galbraith Heath, a scientist who was involved in pioneering what would go on to become f***ing conversion therapy, and also just general medical malpractice. very classy, jkr.) contains a scene in which a trans woman is vilified, outed, and then there's a delightful joke regarding the fact that she's pre-op. Not to mention the weird fetishizing of mixed race / black people and weird disdain that permeates a lot of British media of working class people.

Like, I can understand that you're willing to separate the work from the author. But that doesn't mean we can't be critical of said works. JK Rowling is one of the most well-known people in the creative arts world, especially to children, and is, no bones about it, the biggest name in publishing. She has a platform that millions see. Just because she isn't actively scribbling 'I HATE TRANS PEOPLE' over her books doesn't mean those views affect how she writes. And, in relation to the Silkworm, sometimes she is just straight up saying she hates us.
    I draw, and I write sometimes! Drow paladin avatar by me. They/Them

26. - Top - End - #956
    Colossus in the Playground

True she should have keep her offensive views to herself. I'm not going to read her books any more or watch any movies. I prefer reading the Book of the Underrealm.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Book of the Underrealm is very inclusive to the LGBT characters especially transgender people.
    Competently written, well plotted, and with LGBTA characters you say. Well have I got the book for you~.

By which I mean I have a book out that is those things.

Anyway hey today, for the first time in awhile, I had a bought of "oops breathing I thought that was stupid". Something intensely bad feeling, like bile rising, caused it to be VERY hard to breath. I was able to shake it off and spent the last ten minutes cough/spitting into the toilet so I'm okay, but GOD is it a bad way to start your morning.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deltamire View Post
    You're hit the nail on the head regarding the whole 'disconnect the original authorial intent from the author', but the problem with JKR is that unfortunately her personal intent has leeched into her works, often to a disturbing degree. I'm not going to go into detail, because I value my own sanity and self-worth, but:
    Spoiler
    Show
    her adult book The Silkworm (written under the pen name Robert Galbraith, who just so happens to share a name with Robert Galbraith Heath, a scientist who was involved in pioneering what would go on to become f***ing conversion therapy, and also just general medical malpractice. very classy, jkr.) contains a scene in which a trans woman is vilified, outed, and then there's a delightful joke regarding the fact that she's pre-op. Not to mention the weird fetishizing of mixed race / black people and weird disdain that permeates a lot of British media of working class people.

Like, I can understand that you're willing to separate the work from the author. But that doesn't mean we can't be critical of said works. JK Rowling is one of the most well-known people in the creative arts world, especially to children, and is, no bones about it, the biggest name in publishing. She has a platform that millions see. Just because she isn't actively scribbling 'I HATE TRANS PEOPLE' over her books doesn't mean those views affect how she writes. And, in relation to the Silkworm, sometimes she is just straight up saying she hates us.
    I can't speak of that book specifically (I've only read her HP works) - that might indeed cross the threshold into "hate speech," if that is the case (perhaps it is Rowling's own Holy Terror (in the Frank Miller sense; he was, at one, point critiically accliamed after all, before he went off the rails)); but bartmanhomer specifically mentioned he wasn't going to read HP again because of it, something which is by itself, innocent of such.

(I'm sure someone somewhere has found a way to look at to to say otherwise, but the people that look for patterns tend to always find them by virtue of pattern recognition - and, like Pokémon, HP has never been free of accusations for being Morally Wrong from other certain quarters I shall not mention...)

Certainly, though critisise a work, but it would be foolish to critisise all other works with the same issue if they do not endemically display the same problems, just because they come from the same source. (One should not accurse Jade Empire because Anthem was dreadful, simply because they were both produced by Bioware, for example.)

People change too. Rowling may not be quite the same person as she was when she wrote HP and not for the better, perhaps.

One might also point, in the other direction; look at James Gunn, being pilloried for something he'd said (and apologised for) years prior because someone went through his twitter with a grudge.

(Also a good reason why you should watch your words everywhere on the internet.)

Context, as always, is important, because reality doent boil down into convenient categories and the human insistence on trying to do that is EXACTLY what leads to the ever-present factionalism; reinforcing that sort of thinking, even in areas that don't seem important, is what must be avoided, else it will never go away, merely change the forms the faction takes.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2020-06-25 at 07:00 AM.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Titan in the Playground

So, jealousy, then?
    No, acceptable target.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

29. - Top - End - #959
    Troll in the Playground

J.K. Rowling definitely lost her fanbase for good. I can imagine her fans are very heartbroken by the shocking revelations of J.K. Rowling.
    Like you wouldn't believe.

The worst part is the way it slowly became more and more obvious (first we started seeing dogwhistles, and noticing she was liking/following prominent transphobes, then eventually she accidentally posted a piece of a transphobic article into a tweet).

There's nothing worse than knowing someone hates you, and nobody believing you.
    Last edited by BisectedBrioche; 2020-06-25 at 08:09 AM.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    Like you wouldn't believe.

The worst part is the way it slowly became more and more obvious (first we started seeing dogwhistles, and noticing she was liking/following prominent transphobes, then eventually she accidentally posted a piece of a transphobic article into a tweet).

There's nothing worse than knowing someone hates you, and nobody believing you.
    I honestly didn't notice until it got the news because I don't follow her, for reasons I've only recently worked out (the HP books are not only horribly written, to me they feel very heteronormative). If you'd told me before they she's teansphobic I wouldn't have cared, because I already hated the idolisation of her.

But hey, I love trans people. And apparently a couple find me cute, because I have to save for some post-lockdown dates (and, by request, keep the stache when I shave off the lockdown beard).

Show