New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 233839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1509
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Anonymouswizard's Random Banter #227 and Free Cup of Tea

So, my interaction with friends as something other than an internet ghost went... eh...?

I missed them, I really wanted to see them again. I really did, but my anxiety went into overdrive the entire time. I even had a small panic attack on the way to meet them. I kind of compensated for it by being sort of outwardly "blah." The net affect was that I came off like I wanted to be on another planet. May might have picked up on what was going on. They said it looked like I was screaming internally. They at least seemed... not upset to see me?

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by The Fury View Post
    So, my interaction with friends as something other than an internet ghost went... eh...?

I missed them, I really wanted to see them again. I really did, but my anxiety went into overdrive the entire time. I even had a small panic attack on the way to meet them. I kind of compensated for it by being sort of outwardly "blah." The net affect was that I came off like I wanted to be on another planet. May might have picked up on what was going on. They said it looked like I was screaming internally. They at least seemed... not upset to see me?
    I'm sorry your anxiety was so bad. Just remember that the quarantine undermines everyone's social skills a bit, so they might have been more excited then you think and just not as socially apt as they normally are.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I'm sorry your anxiety was so bad. Just remember that the quarantine undermines everyone's social skills a bit, so they might have been more excited then you think and just not as socially apt as they normally are.
    Oh, they were great. Neither of them were ever especially social, but I'd even say that they were better than usual. I think. I haven't seen really anyone in four months.

I've definitely gotten a lot worse though. On the plus side, I think I'm better at being an internet ghost now. It sucks, because I really was glad to see them, just way too wrapped up in my own issues to appreciate the moment.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've been skittering about the house like an over-excited rabbit all morning, but I finally have enough concentration to say: I finished off the last bit of the manuscript of my novel! It's not at all actually completed - I've gotten the first draft down, have at least 5 major revision drafts I want to do, not including sentence-by-sentence editing - but it's currently sitting pretty at 103,000 words. That's the longest thing I've ever written, with most of the stories I've written before somewhere in the 60,000 - 80,000 mark.

Of course, the more words the more work later on when I completely strip it down, but there's always something exciting about finishing off a long project like this, which I begun at the start of lockdown. Whether it's any good is an entirely different question, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Just wanted to share the horrible festering word-baby that I've been hacking away at for the last four months.
    I draw, and I write sometimes! Drow paladin avatar by me. They/Them

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, congrats!

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Titan in the Playground

*sigh*

So having finally got the printer working and some filament working, Dad decided he wanted to do a big printer for which he needed to cut a new board, managed for the first time ever to cut it short, had to print a bit to fix it, and now the rear board clip has broken.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deltamire View Post
    I've been skittering about the house like an over-excited rabbit all morning, but I finally have enough concentration to say: I finished off the last bit of the manuscript of my novel! It's not at all actually completed - I've gotten the first draft down, have at least 5 major revision drafts I want to do, not including sentence-by-sentence editing - but it's currently sitting pretty at 103,000 words. That's the longest thing I've ever written, with most of the stories I've written before somewhere in the 60,000 - 80,000 mark.

Of course, the more words the more work later on when I completely strip it down, but there's always something exciting about finishing off a long project like this, which I begun at the start of lockdown. Whether it's any good is an entirely different question, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Just wanted to share the horrible festering word-baby that I've been hacking away at for the last four months.
    Good luck! As someone who has recently been (self)published, I can tell you the road ahead is going to feel pretty long at times, but you can do it!

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey, congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Good luck! As someone who has recently been (self)published, I can tell you the road ahead is going to feel pretty long at times, but you can do it!
    Thank you! I actually poked my toes into the shallow end of publication last year, and it was a bit like pulling teeth, though not at the fault of the industry itself - my manuscript then had a couple of deadly problems, not limited to a pretty shoddy cover letter, The Dreaded Genre Problems, the main trope / concepts / selling point being completely over saturated in the market at the time unbeknownst to me, and it only being the fifth story I'd ever completed - but I think the complete failure it was helped a lot in the long run for both my determination and how I wrote and present this one. I've kind of accepted to run the risk that this story won't be the One, but am still kickin' to try and send it out!

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deltamire View Post
    Thank you! I actually poked my toes into the shallow end of publication last year, and it was a bit like pulling teeth, though not at the fault of the industry itself - my manuscript then had a couple of deadly problems, not limited to a pretty shoddy cover letter, The Dreaded Genre Problems, the main trope / concepts / selling point being completely over saturated in the market at the time unbeknownst to me, and it only being the fifth story I'd ever completed - but I think the complete failure it was helped a lot in the long run for both my determination and how I wrote and present this one. I've kind of accepted to run the risk that this story won't be the One, but am still kickin' to try and send it out!
    Sounds rough, but hey sometimes its needed! My book had to be rewritten basically from... half of chapter 1 forward, which I learned after the first rounds of talking to a professional editor. The end result is ten times as better as it could have been!

I'll be honest I went self publishing instead of shopping around because I really... wanted to get it out, you know? I know it is good enough, and I want to establish myself first before heading off to actual publishers. That's what book 2 is for, for me.

But yeah, wish you luck on this Deltamire. And definitely feel free to drop me a line or whatever if you want to talk shop and stuff.

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Sounds rough, but hey sometimes its needed! My book had to be rewritten basically from... half of chapter 1 forward, which I learned after the first rounds of talking to a professional editor. The end result is ten times as better as it could have been!

I'll be honest I went self publishing instead of shopping around because I really... wanted to get it out, you know? I know it is good enough, and I want to establish myself first before heading off to actual publishers. That's what book 2 is for, for me.

But yeah, wish you luck on this Deltamire. And definitely feel free to drop me a line or whatever if you want to talk shop and stuff.
    I get you, and the having to rewrite huge swathes of something to fix it hits a wee bit too close to home. I respect the idea of self-publishing, because it sounds terrifyingly self-reliant (as it says in the name, I suppose), which I could not do, for a variety of reasons. That of course means I have to dance the same dance everyone else is in their pursuit of getting an agent, which is fair.

Either way, that manuscript is going to sit and set for three to four weeks while I work on other things. Maybe that pirate character-focused fanfic that's been grabbing at my heels will finally get finished. Or I could work on the periodic table-based hard magic system I've got bumbling about, and actually finally understand how the periodic table works.

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Ok Youtube Question: I got 464 subscribers and my video views that are nearly 100,000. My question is am I consider myself a god-tier, top-tier, high-tier, middle-tier, low-tier, or a bottom-tier Youtuber?
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Ok Youtube Question: I got 464 subscribers and my video views that are nearly 100,000. My question is am I consider myself a god-tier, top-tier, high-tier, middle-tier, low-tier, or a bottom-tier Youtuber?
    A.) Don't think about it in "tiers". There are no tiers. There are no strict levels that can be moved up and down.

2.) If you insist on thinking about it in terms of "tiers", bottom.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    A.) Don't think about it in "tiers". There are no tiers. There are no strict levels that can be moved up and down.

2.) If you insist on thinking about it in terms of "tiers", bottom.
    Well, there's a social blade and I do have a C+ Grade which means I'm a little above average on Youtube.

14. - Top - End - #1424

Well, there's a social blade and I do have a C+ Grade which means I'm a little above average on Youtube.
    YouTube has 1.5 billion registered users. Even if your claim is accurate, "a little above average" on YouTube means there are 700,000,000 people above you. That's roughly double the population of the United States. And there is little reason to believe that claim is accurate.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

YouTube has 1.5 billion registered users. Even if your claim is accurate, "a little above average" on YouTube means there are 700,000,000 people above you. That's roughly double the population of the United States. And there is little reason to believe that claim is accurate.
    This is my socialblade for my proof: https://www.socialblade.com/youtube/...manhomerthe7th
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2020-07-10 at 09:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1426

This is my socialblade for my proof: https://www.socialblade.com/youtube/...manhomerthe7th
    ....OK? That doesn't really mean anything.

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

....OK? That doesn't really mean anything.
    Maybe not to you but I'm still gaining subscribers and views on my Youtube channel. Also I've been on Youtube for quite a while now.

18. - Top - End - #1428

Maybe not to you but I'm still gaining subscribers and views on my Youtube channel. Also I've been on Youtube for quite a while now.
    Yes, but this isn't a test. "C+" is meaningless. You've been on YouTube for 9 years and have under 500 subscribers. 2000 videos and not even a hundred thousand views. That works out to 4 subscribers per month. Less than 50 views per video.

If I told you I averaged 4 subscribers per month and my videos averaged 50 views, would you not call that "bottom tier"?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-07-10 at 09:41 PM.

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Yes, but this isn't a test. "C+" is meaningless. You've been on YouTube for 9 years and have under 500 subscribers. 2000 videos and not even a hundred thousand views. That works out to 4 subscribers per month. Less than 50 views per video.

If I told you I averaged 4 subscribers per month and my videos averaged 50 views, would you not call that "bottom tier"?
    You have a very good point there. I guess grades and tiers are meaningless but I do enjoy making Youtube videos. That's all it matter to me at this point.

20. - Top - End - #1430

You have a very good point there. I guess grades and tiers are meaningless but I do enjoy making Youtube videos. That's all it matter to me at this point.
    That's great! That's all you need, IMO. So long as you like what you do, keep on keepin' on, buddy.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

That's great! That's all you need, IMO. So long as you like what you do, keep on keepin' on, buddy.
    Another thing to point it out that I don't beg people to subscribe to my channel and I don't make money out of Youtube. I only do Youtube as a hobby.

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Ogre in the Playground

I would concur that seriously thinking about what "tier" you are is pretty unhelpful. Just be the best you that you can be. It's fine to think of fictional characters that way though.

Funnily enough, someone asked me about a tier list for my characters. I found the scrap of paper that I wrote it down on and I'm using it as a bookmark now. It's ridiculous.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I would concur that seriously thinking about what "tier" you are is pretty unhelpful. Just be the best you that you can be. It's fine to think of fictional characters that way though.

Funnily enough, someone asked me about a tier list for my characters. I found the scrap of paper that I wrote it down on and I'm using it as a bookmark now. It's ridiculous.
    Yeah, tiers are a lot better for fictional characters.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Ogre in the Playground

464 subs is ok. Miles better than anything I could ever do.

unless you're looking at making youtube a job 464 is a good number where you can possibly have some community engagement at least.

If we're gonna throw numbers around like they mean anything worthwhile, I likely have less personality then a head of cabbage and am less desirable then said head of cabbage when steamed and soggy.

I tried the whole youtuber thing years and years ago, releasing 3 weekly let's play videos of a half hour length each for over a year... and got a whole 6 subs and maybe 50 views on a good day to show for it. and 3 of those subs were people i personally knew.

i eventually got tired of putting in the effort of recording and editing and not even getting negative feedback on my content, so I privated and eventually deleted the videos. At first it was fun but by the end of the year I realized I just wasn't entertaining anyone and didn't know how to build an audience.

So I might as well put the time and effort that would go into editing into just playing more videogames instead, and playing them at my leisure.

the few videos i now have up are minecraft pit trap videos from 9 years ago back during the alpha, 2 clips of me laughing at character models doing silly stuff in Xenoblade 2 from a stream i did a couple years back and year-old boss clear videos from a mobile game I've lost interest in.

I still laugh at Pyra self-yeeting into the void and Dromach getting caught on a cart and just flipping out. character pathing is a beautiful thing sometimes.

I'll occasionally stream on twitch because that's relatively low-effort post initial setup and i might catch someone bored enough sifting though content to stay for a moment and goof with me for a bit.

still no following though, but as I have no schedule to speak of this is to be expected.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Titan in the Playground

I wish I could make YouTube videos. Unfortunately I have a face for radio, a voice for 1920s cinema, writing skills for the wastepaper basket, and the editing skills of a moose wearing goalkeepers' gubbins (also known as the real national animal of Canada). Guess it's best for everybody that I don't have a camera or professional microphone.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

26. - Top - End - #1436

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I wish I could make YouTube videos. Unfortunately I have a face for radio, a voice for 1920s cinema, writing skills for the wastepaper basket, and the editing skills of a moose wearing goalkeepers' gubbins (also known as the real national animal of Canada). Guess it's best for everybody that I don't have a camera or professional microphone.
    Well good news, then, you need none of those! More than a decade ago, when I was into Guitar Hero, I put up a handful of videos. Got near half a million views total, with the occasional new subscriber and comment somehow still coming in despite the absolute lack of activity on my end in more than a dozen years (I'll get an email a couple of times a year on new viewer activity, which never ceases to amaze me). Also, fun fact, that socialblade site graded me at a C - again, haven't even touched that channel in over a decade. The power of coasting! Or an insight into the low value of grading on sites like socialblade. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-07-11 at 12:00 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Titan in the Playground

Oooookaaaaaaay.

So, the Murder 300th version is going to have to wait for a bit, I think, since cutting into three sections plus turrets wasn't enough, I had to cut the hull into FIVE sections to keep the print time (at 0.2mm resolution) down to merely 3-4 hours per part.

Aaaaand I think I am going to have to putting some locator pegs in at that...

(For reference for everyone other than Peelee, typical print time for a model is usually 1-2 hours on 0.1mm resolution.)

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: This poem will be slightly less confusing to Bleakbane than to anyone else, but probably still a bit confusing
    Show
    Late last day, in the middle of the night, two dead guys got up to fight. Back to back, they face each other, drew their swords, and shot each other.

I don't remember where I heard that, but I remembered the poem itself out of nowhere.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Spoiler: This poem will be slightly less confusing to Bleakbane than to anyone else, but probably still a bit confusing
    Show
    Late last day, in the middle of the night, two dead guys got up to fight. Back to back, they face each other, drew their swords, and shot each other.

I don't remember where I heard that, but I remembered the poem itself out of nowhere.
    That sort of nonsense verse has been around for a long, long time, per https://literature.stackexchange.com...radictory-poem.
    ithilanor on Steam.

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Maybe. Though there might be folks out there that disagree. I personally don't like my voice. I think it sounds sort of nasal and a bit raspy. Basically I sound like I've never not had a cold. Though for some reason there were people that thought I sounded good when I got interviewed on the radio. They used some really nice words that I'm way too embarrassed to repeat here. Never mind hearing a recording of myself makes me want to tear out my own vocal cords.

My point is, I'm sure there are people out there that might actually really love your voice. And I'm certain that there are people that will dig your accent.