New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Tales of Fey Encounters

I’m looking for stories about fey and their interactions with mortals—their tricks and traps, bargains and enchantments. Looking in particular for stories which have an eerie, otherworldly feel to them.

Can anyone recommend a collection of folktales or other stories along these lines?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Tales of Fey Encounters

Folktales specifically, or is fantasy literature fine? Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell is a recommendation either way. And a bit of a list by Neil Gaiman, if you want it.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Ideally I'd like a collection of original folktales, but I'll take fantasy recommendations if they involve the theme of fey tricks and bargains.

I keep hearing about Strange & Norell, so I really need to look into that. I'm not as much of a Gaiman fan, but if he has stories touching on the themes I'm interested in then I'd be glad of those recommendations.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Okay, you'll want to start with Lang
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lang%27s_Fairy_Books
    Stephens' Irish Fairy Tales is a good read too
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Fairy_Tales
    If you want a specific Gaiman, Stardust is the one you want (tricks, bargains and enchantments are all well covered). But if we're going for modern fantasy fiction, I can't recommend Charles de Lint highly or often enough. Jack of Kinrowan is stand-alone, so you can read that and see if you dig what he does, but where he shines is his Newford books/short stories.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

If you find JS&Mr.N intimidating in length and writing style, there's also The Ladies of Grace Adieu, which is a small short story collection in the same universe and they are mostly written as fairy tales and quite interesting.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

They're not personified, but the interactions with the various Mushi in Mushi-shi have a very fey-like quality to them. The Mushi are like natural magical spirits and the people in the folksy stories often just have to deal with them being how they are. Like a tiny hermit-crab-like spirit that eats noise and is sometimes drawn to human settlements in the dead of winter.
    /ObligatoryAnimeRecommendation

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by JoshL
    *Lang & Stephens*
    Much appreciated, thanks. Those look like good places to start.

Originally Posted by JoshL
    …I can't recommend Charles de Lint highly or often enough….
    As it happens, I have Waifs and Strays, but when I tried reading a couple of the stories I was supremely unimpressed. Something about the feel of it just didn’t work for me.

Originally Posted by Eldan
    If you find JS&Mr.N intimidating in length and writing style….
    Not at all. The writing is lovely and absolutely perfect in its tone. From reading the first few pages in the Amazon preview, it sounds like a magnificent book.

Originally Posted by Eldan
    …there's also The Ladies of Grace Adieu….
    This is just the sort of thing I was looking for, thanks.

Originally Posted by Zalabim
    They're not personified, but the interactions with the various Mushi in Mushi-shi have a very fey-like quality to them.
    I’d never heard of this, and I don’t usually watch anime, but I’ll keep it in mind.

Last edited by Palanan; 2020-05-11 at 09:39 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

If you haven't already, you could check out some of Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales as originally written, for example there's a Penguin collection translated by Tiina Nunnally that adheres more closely to the original style. They're a lot weirder than the earlier translations and various adaptations make them seem.

I'd also strongly recommend Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicle. The whole thing is shot through with in-character fairytales - the books could be read as a love letter to the art of storytelling - and in the second book the protagonist spends some time in the fey realm. Deals are struck, tricks are played, it's all good stuff.

You said you don't watch much anime, but honestly Japanese media could be a good resource here. A lot of yokai fit comfortably into the 'fey' mold (as defined by D&D). Princess Mononoke is a must-see, for sure. Another that comes to mind is Kakuriyo -Bed & Breakfast for Spirits-, which is packed with fey creatures and otherworldly feeling.
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2020-05-12 at 04:43 AM.
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    tuff.

You said you don't watch much anime, but honestly Japanese media could be a good resource here. A lot of yokai fit comfortably into the 'fey' mold (as defined by D&D). Princess Mononoke is a must-see, for sure. Another that comes to mind is Kakuriyo -Bed & Breakfast for Spirits-, which is packed with fey creatures and otherworldly feeling.
    Good stuff. To add I'd also highly recommend 'Spirited Away'. It covers most of the traditional elements of Fey stories. Innocents tricked into a strange realm of weird creatures which abide by their own rules and with who you have to be very careful when making bargains
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

For a modern take, The Dresden Files feature a lot of interactions with fae, though there are a lot of other supernatural powers involved as well (the series pretty much runs on a basis of "all myths are true", so if it exits in myth or legend, its probably in there somewhere).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

This may not be exactly what you want, but Tam Lin by Pamela Dean is a rather interesting take on the idea. It is based on the eponymous scottish ballard.

The actual story is set in the 1970s and follows Janet, a college student attending the college where her father teaches. The thing about the story is that although they appear almost from the very start of the novel, none of the fantastical (or at least fey) elements in the story are obvious at first, but start to build up towards the end.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

You could try A Tale of Two Tricksters. It's an urban fantasy short novel by an up and coming author. Personable characters and the story is long enough without overstaying its welcome. I liked it!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Obvious one, but "A Midsummer Night's Dream" (and the fifty bajillion works inspired by it).

Wikipedia lists several historical references to Oberon.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

There are some modern fantasy examples where the Fair Folk appear as an integral part of a larger world. Some are already mentioned; I'd add Discworld's Lords and Ladies and the Chronicles of Prydain; they also appear in the web serials Pact by Wildbow and A Practical Guide to Evil.
    Last edited by uncool; 2020-05-19 at 01:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

The SCP Foundation has a few. The biggest one would be Restricted per protocol 4000-Eshu.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

You could always dip into Lord Dunsany, with The King of Elfland's Daughter https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...d%27s_Daughter

It's pre-Tolkein, and did quite a lot to create the modern fantasy idea of elves / fey.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

If you don't mind comics may I heartily suggest 'Lords of Misrule' (Written by Dan Abnett, Dark Horse comics)

Or 'Mage : The Hero Discovered' (Written by Matt Wagner, Comico comics)

Both have been collected into single books
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem