New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

smile Seeking Constructive Criticism on Knight-Based Tripping Build

Good morning! I throw together a lot of hypothetical optimization builds as a hobby when I have down time (although most of these builds never see the light of day, as my playtime is criminally low these days), and I was hoping to get some feedback on this hypothetical build. I put it together as a take on what a "tank" class would look like in DnD, although short of Goad, there aren't a lot of "taunt" mechanics that a tank would need to have. Of course, tripping is one way to sort of force opponents to attack you first, or at least make it exceedingly annoying to reach your backline, hence the start of this thought exercise. Any suggestions or constructive criticism on the build is very welcome!

If starting from level 1-7, Half-Undead (Gheden) Half-Minotaur Feral Human (+3 LA, to be bought off at the appropriate levels)

Spoiler: If starting from level 8 or higher: Half-Undead (Gheden) Voidmind Human, and deduct 26,530 for a wish to "free" it from the Illithid influence (+4 LA)
    Show
    I'm not certain that it would be viable to play an un-freed Voidmind character in most campaigns, barring a DM who was very loose with the RP requirements and didn't want to punish you for it. Alternatively, you could take the Half-Dragon template at +3 LA for acid immunity, but that seems strictly worse than Void Mind in just about every measurable way unless we take on even more level adjustment for large size to get wings. Taking the acquired template after level 3 technically allows us to buy off one level-adjustment at level 3, then again at level 12, and again at level 18.

Spoiler: Item Considerations
    Show
    Ironically, although the first version is vulnerable to acid, I think it's actually stronger for its bonuses to trip and its reach. Add a Sandstorm parasol (blocks sunlight) and/or Sandals of the Vagabond, the heavy legs graft, or the breath of the water graft (prevents exhaustion). Add golem grafts for the Half-Golem template, Mantle of the Fiery Spirit for the fire subtype, or a ring of Acid Immunity (if Half-Minotaur/Feral) later for more damage immunities. If we go the Half-Minotaur/Feral route and not Voidmind, after we add golem grafts we become immune to Mind Blank the spell, which is unfortunate until we can afford a Third Eye Conceal, and I'm not sure about a way around this. That leaves us vulnerable to Vertigo (DC 10 balance to negate worst part), Spiritwall (panic), Phantom Foe (basically a glorified blur), Miser's Envy (close to a taunt), Manifestation of the Deity (shaken), and Hiss of Sleep (actually threatening, as it induces sleep). We start wielding a guisarme and a spiked gauntlet, but swap it out at level 9 for a spiked chain. Apart from that, strength-boosting and trip-boosting equipment would be a must.

1:
    Spoiler: Wolf Totem-Barbarian 1
    Show
    (Troll-Blooded) (Combat Reflexes) (Endurance) (Diehard) (Toughness)

2:
    Spoiler: Wolf Totem-Barbarian 2
    Show
    (Improved Trip)

3:
    Spoiler: Knight 1
    Show
    (Mage-Slayer) [[Become lawful; lose ability to rage :(]]

4:
    Spoiler: Knight 2
    Show
    +1 to AC; relatively tame compared to other levels, although the free ability point is always nice.

5:
    Spoiler: Knight 3
    Show
    [[BFC: threatened squares are difficult terrain]]

6:
    Spoiler: Knight 4
    Show
    (Occult Opportunist) [[TAUNT: Test of Mettle]]

7:
    Spoiler: Knight 5
    Show
    (Quick Draw) [[BFC: Anti-Tumbling]]

8:
    Spoiler: Knight 6
    Show
    [[TANK: Shield Ally]]

9:
    Spoiler: Swordsage 1
    Show
    (Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Spiked Chain) [[TRIP: Step of the Wind/Stonefoot Stance/Mighty Throw]]{Maybe worth taking at level 7; or maybe not worth taking at all, since Test of Mettle and the like scale with knight level.}

Spoiler: Knock-Down Discussion
    Show
    Knock Down is probably worth taking at level 3 or 6, delaying Exotic Weapon Proficiency, if the DM allows it works with improved trip; otherwise I'm not certain. Discussion on the feat seems to revolve around it NOT being nerfed as it was in Deities and Demigods, and that discussion treats it as an auto-include, but those discussions that acknowledge the errata seem less sold on it.
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2020-05-21 at 06:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise