New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Here comes the Slam (attack) (...again)

The players in one of my games are about to head into an area that has an abundance of undead and elemental-style creatures in it, and when I was reviewing some of the encounters, I noticed that there was to be an absolute absurdity of Slam attacks.

Sure, I can have the various undead wield items and whatnot, and elementals will occasionally have a recharge ability that isn't a slam... but it's still kind of underwhelming.

Has anyone used Slam variants in their games? Created a "Slam Table" of effects to roll on? Added Reactions, Bonus actions, or Villainous actions to creatures that roll up with not much more than a slam?
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Here comes the Slam (attack) (...again)

Angry GM had an article in which he homebrewed a 5e zombie, going for mechanics that created the correct “feel” for the monster.

It would involve a lot of work, but it would be a great starting point. The idea of course would be to homebrew, or add homebrewed tweaks to, the undead. You could base this on the individual types.

One thing I hate about 5e undead, as compared to old school undead, is they just don’t strike the same fear that they used too. Granted, losing an entire experience level just because you were touched is pretty harsh, but also terrifying. Obviously, there are other ways to invoke terror which amount to less of a screw job.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBeast View Post
    Angry GM had an article in which he homebrewed a 5e zombie, going for mechanics that created the correct “feel” for the monster.

It would involve a lot of work, but it would be a great starting point. The idea of course would be to homebrew, or add homebrewed tweaks to, the undead. You could base this on the individual types.

One thing I hate about 5e undead, as compared to old school undead, is they just don’t strike the same fear that they used too. Granted, losing an entire experience level just because you were touched is pretty harsh, but also terrifying. Obviously, there are other ways to invoke terror which amount to less of a screw job.

I believe this is the article? If so, thanks!

One of my other campaigns is a straight-up horror theme, with the Stress/Panic mechanic from the Alien RPG, which really keeps the party on their toes and gives that fear effect you crave.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!

Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    I believe this is the article? If so, thanks!
    That’s it. I gave it a quick scan again, and unless I missed it this time around, I think I misremembered it. I thought he went through the stupidity of zombies slamming their opponents, then gave them a grab attack which would be followed by a bite.

So much of 5e’s monster design seems to miss the “feel” of the monster. I think it would be wise to spend time considering that “feel” and how to translate it into the system mechanically.

One of my other campaigns is a straight-up horror theme, with the Stress/Panic mechanic from the Alien RPG, which really keeps the party on their toes and gives that fear effect you crave.
    Very cool.