New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Question Precognition power (PL7)

Hello.
    For a new campaign, I have to create a PL7 character (M&M 3). I have a small problem to represent a power:

"He sees danger and avoids it in the near future whether it's in combat or not.."

First of all, I would have seen Precognion, limited by imminent danger and personal, as a power of perception that would automatically trigger power.

Then, I hesitate to use the modifier "Reaction" so that the use is technically free and that it simulates an intuitive and automatic reaction of power. In addition, I understood that it can be used outside a fight (a trap that triggers for example).

This is what comes after where I have the most trouble. Should I use impervious or ehanced defense? Should I use dodge and/or parry in the same power? Would be more interesting, in terms of points than using deflect? Do you see anything else that I could forget, or change that to make it better and/or cheaper?

What would be the most profitable, the best, to do? For a basic POWER PL7 and which modifier to take to the Top PL?

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by Spike31; 2020-05-21 at 03:09 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Default Re: Precognition power (PL7)

There's several Advantages which are suitable for precogs. Uncanny Dodge (not vulnerable during surprise rounds) and Danger Sense (can sometimes act during surprise rounds) are both obvious picks. But also Improved Initiative or Seize Initiative, for that 'sees things coming and reacts quickly' flavour. Assessment is also a good way to represent a precog who gets more information than just the obvious about dangers, for example knowing that a particular person is actually a lot faster/tougher/stronger than they look.

I would not suggest using Deflect. It requires a standard action every turn, after all. Much better to use some level of Impervious on your defenses. Taking Dodge/Parry together is always a good idea. Another angle you might consider if you want to be through is Immunity: Interaction Skills, which makes it so that your character can't be bluffed/seduced/intimidated/feinted, since they can see the trick coming and know that it's just a ruse. The feint resistance is particularly important for Dodge/Parry based defenses, as it can cut right through them. You might also consider Second Chance: Immobilization, since that's another big vulnerability.

Precognition and Reaction are both 'ask your GM' powers, so you are right to hesitate to combine them. How about Concentration Remote Sensing as an alternative? Much more definite on what triggers it and what information you get, plus no GM advice saying to make the information 'obscure and cryptic', plus the option to spend actions to get more information by continuing to observe the threat. Same cost, too.

One more fun thing to do as a precog: Variable Equipment Limited to Protective Gear. Just like how Batman always seems to have the perfect tool for the job because he's Batman and planned ahead, you have the perfect tool for the job because your danger-sense got a lot quieter when you put the shark repellant in your toolbelt.
    Last edited by Grek; 2020-05-21 at 03:55 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

At first glance, my GM has no problem with Precog and Reaction or the fact that a power triggers in reaction to an event, in addition, the precognition power I want to use will be limited to "immediate danger," which will limit problems with the GM.

The Immunity: Interaction Skills is a very good idea !

As for "Second Chance: Immobilization" it could be taken from the basic, out of power.

As I understand it, you recommend that I take a defence power that would use the "Impervious Dodge/Parry" effect alone and create another, different, precognition-based power with advantages like "Uncanny Dodge" - "Danger Sense," "Seize initiative" and/or "Improved Initiative", "Assessment" ?

The Concentration Remote Sensing as an alternative is a very good idea too!

Can you shape that power? Because I'm afraid I don't understand all your suggestions.

Thx.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

If I was building it, the Impervious Dodge/Parry, the various advantages and the Remote Sensing would all be effects of the same overall power. This makes thematic sense (anything that would defeat one would defeat the others, since they're all expressions of the same basic idea) and has some mechanical advantage to compensate, in that they all count toward a single pool for the purpose of stunts.

For the Concentration Remote Sensing, I was thinking that as something to take as a Reaction instead of Limited Precognition, since I know that many GMs would either not allow Remote and Precognition to be combined like that, or they would make it too vague to be reliably useful. But if your GM is allowing it, no need to take the alternative version.

Assuming that you want an example of how I'd do it numerically...

Danger Sense (Descriptors: precognition, psychic, danger-based, mental, sixth sense) [55pp]
    Enhanced Traits: Impervious Dodge 10, Impervious Parry 10, Uncanny Dodge, Danger Sense, Improved Initiative 3, Assessment, Seize Initiative.
    Immunity: Interaction Skills
    Reaction (when in danger) Concentration Remote Sensing 3 [250 feet]

And then outside the Danger Sense power, you'd get your Toughness, Fortitude and Willpower up, plus whatever you're doing for offense and whatever else you're getting for your remaining 50 points.
    Last edited by Grek; 2020-05-21 at 04:22 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thumbs up Re: Precognition power (PL7)

Thanks for the help but I don't understand the different costs. Can you explain to me how it applies to the whole of power so that, later, I can change it as soon as I have earned my first experience points?

Danger Sense (Descriptors: precognition (4), psychic, danger-based, mental, sixth sense) [55pp]
    Enhanced Traits: Impervious Dodge 10 (1/R ==> 10), Impervious Parry 10 (1/R ==> 10), Uncanny Dodge (1), Danger Sense(1), Improved Initiative 3 (3), Assessment (1), Seize Initiative (1).
    Immunity: Interaction Skills (5)
    Reaction (cost ?) (when in danger) (-1/R) Concentration (-1/R) Remote Sensing 3 [250 feet] (Cost for visual 2/R ==> 3).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Lightbulb Re: Precognition power (PL7)

Another thing: Can this power be an alternate of another power or does it have to be permanent?

thx.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

smile Re: Precognition power (PL7)

Hello, I would like to know how you calculated the cost of power above.

Thx.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm not Grek, but I can break their suggested power build down for you:

Danger Sense (Descriptors: precognition (4), psychic, danger-based, mental, sixth sense) [55pp]
    Enhanced Traits: Impervious Dodge 10, Impervious Parry 10, Uncanny Dodge, Danger Sense, Improved Initiative 3, Assessment, Seize Initiative.
    Immunity: Interaction Skills
    Reaction (when in danger) Concentration Remote Sensing 3 [250 feet]

• Enhanced Dodge is 1 point per rank, and making it Impervious makes it 2 points per rank - 10 ranks of Impervious Dodge therefore costs 20 points. Impervious Parry 10 will cost the same. That's 40 points there.
    • Uncanny Dodge, Danger Sense, Improved Initiative, Assessment, and Seize Initiative are all advantages, costing 1 point per rank. This is 3 ranks of Improved Initiative and 1 rank of the other four, totaling 7 points - this brings you up to 47.
    • Immunity to Interaction Skills is an example immunity in the 5 ranks cost. Immunity costs 1 point per 5 ranks, so that's another 5 points there - this brings you up to 52.
    • Remote Sensing can be between 1 and 5 points per rank, depending on how many senses you're projecting. Making it a reaction adds 1 point per rank to the cost (because it's a free action to use), while giving it a duration of concentration reduces the cost by 1 per rank. You'll end up at the normal cost for however many senses you're projecting. Vision is the most common projected sense, but visual senses are noted to count as 2 sense types for Remote Sensing - that would cost 6 points, for the 3 ranks specified, and there are only 3 points remaining, so it must be sending a different sense. Perhaps hearing - this would mean that whenever a danger to you comes within 250 feet of you, you hear it. 3 points here brings the total to 55 points.
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!

PEACH My 5e Homebrew, including...

Yet Another Warlock Rewrite (on GiantITP) Playtested Once!

Lycanthrope Base Class (on GiantITP) Contest Winner!

Vampire Base Class (on GiantITP) Full Class!

Inspiration Domain (On GiantITP) In Playtest!

Skinwalker Ranger Subclass (on GiantITP) Silver Medalist!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Thank you.

One last question, though. If this power is activated, do I increase my parry and/or dodge by 10 (in addition to impervious)? If my defenses are maxed (according to the Dodge/parry rule + Toughness = 2xPL) and if at the same time Dodge/parry increases, I would exceed this limit. What are the rules in this case?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

There's not really any reason that you would ever have this power turned off. Rather than having a maxed out dodge/parry and then this power as well, you would build so that they're maxed out including this power.

If you do want to be able to turn the power off - or you're worried about being defenseless if your power is nullified - then you can reduce the ranks of dodge/parry that are coming from it and put them just straight into your defenses. You're not saving or spending any additional points, but you could have (for example) a base stat of 7 in both your dodge and parry, and then this power increases both of them by 3 ranks and adds the Impervious extra. This would be 3 ranks or Enhanced Parry and 3 ranks of Enhanced Dodge (for 6 points) and then Enhanced Extra: Impervious on both your dodge and parry (for 20 points) rather than the first bullet point. The power's cost is reduced by 14 (to a total of 41 points) and you spend an additional 14 points directly into your Defenses.
    Last edited by theVoidWatches; 2020-06-09 at 10:58 AM.
    Hi, you can call me Void. I prefer she/her or they/them pronouns, please. Yes, "they" is a singular pronoun. I write a superhero webserial called Paternum - check it out!

PEACH My 5e Homebrew, including...

Yet Another Warlock Rewrite (on GiantITP) Playtested Once!

Lycanthrope Base Class (on GiantITP) Contest Winner!

Vampire Base Class (on GiantITP) Full Class!

Inspiration Domain (On GiantITP) In Playtest!

Skinwalker Ranger Subclass (on GiantITP) Silver Medalist!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

smile Re: Precognition power (PL7)

Ok.

Thx !