New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Travel Between Worlds in the Lovecraft Mythos

I’ve only read a handful of Lovecraft stories, and most of what I know about space travel in the Lovecraft mythos comes from the adaptations of his creatures in the Pathfinder Bestiaries.

I gather that there are some creatures capable of extremely fast travel between stars, though apparently not faster than light. And there are other creatures capable of casting their racial consciousness through time and space, though apparently not their physical bodies.

Are there also portals, as we would understand the modern use of the term? If so, does Lovecraft ever clarify their workings, or is it just alluded that various creatures came through somehow?

And are there other methods of interstellar travel other than what I've touched on here?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Travel Between Worlds in the Lovecraft Mythos

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I’ve only read a handful of Lovecraft stories, and most of what I know about space travel in the Lovecraft mythos comes from the adaptations of his creatures in the Pathfinder Bestiaries.

I gather that there are some creatures capable of extremely fast travel between stars, though apparently not faster than light. And there are other creatures capable of casting their racial consciousness through time and space, though apparently not their physical bodies.

Are there also portals, as we would understand the modern use of the term? If so, does Lovecraft ever clarify their workings, or is it just alluded that various creatures came through somehow?

And are there other methods of interstellar travel other than what I've touched on here?
    Dreams: you can dream yourself to other worlds.

Graveyards: In one of the stories a character literally climbs a tower and comes out in a graveyard on Earth. It implies that this leaves no way back to the afterlife.

Summoning rituals: Lots of stuff doesn't live elsewhere but lives in forms that can only be interacted with through a ritual. This is the literal version of another dimension or plane of existence instead of just another universe. Creatures that are time or space, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Graveyards: In one of the stories a character literally climbs a tower and comes out in a graveyard on Earth. It implies that this leaves no way back to the afterlife.
    The story is the "The Outsider" and the person is not climbing a tower to another world.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The POV character is climbing up from the depths under a city and is actually a ghoul.

There are a number of species that have natural interstellar flight or use gates. several of them such as the Elder Things have actual starships.
    Last edited by HandofShadows; 2020-05-21 at 01:08 PM.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    The story is the "The Outsider" and the person is not climbing a tower to another world.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The POV character is climbing up from the depths under a city and is actually a ghoul.

There are a number of species that have natural interstellar flight or use gates. several of them such as the Elder Things have actual starships.
    Are you sure?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought he specifically referenced seeing the sky above him before he started climbing. It has been a few years but I always read it as a dead person climbing out of hell.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

There is really very little that is clear and explicit. However, in "The Dreams in the Witch House", the protagonist is having nightmares in which (among other things) he moves through higher dimensions of space and at one point finds himself in a strange place with three suns in the sky, presumably another planet. (The 'dreams' are of course far more real than he is willing to acknowledge.)
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Are you sure?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I thought he specifically referenced seeing the sky above him before he started climbing. It has been a few years but I always read it as a dead person climbing out of hell.
    Check for yourself.

Spoiler
    Show
    While he is dead, it's undead.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

There's one story where allowing aliens to put your brain in a jar might allow you to travel through space, but the circumstances are very, very suspicious.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian View Post
    There is really very little that is clear and explicit. However, in "The Dreams in the Witch House", the protagonist is having nightmares in which (among other things) he moves through higher dimensions of space and at one point finds himself in a strange place with three suns in the sky, presumably another planet. (The 'dreams' are of course far more real than he is willing to acknowledge.)
    There's more to it than that, even. He also mentions that Keziah Mason, the titular Witch, was apparently doing something with equations and geometry that remind him of Einstein's work. In the 18th century.

So it's pretty clearly some kind of time-space-dimensional travel.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

If so, does Lovecraft ever clarify
    Nope. That's kind of the whole point, really. In Lovecraft's writings, everything that goes on with aliens, gods and black people is incomprehensible for our feeble minds.

Are you sure?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lovecraft was deeply materilistic. There is no afterlife in his works. There are ways to escape your own death by turning into a variety of undead things or being brought back from essential salts by a dark sorceror, but the consciousness just stops when you die.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I honestly can't think of a single mention of any kind of spacecraft, and I don't think the question of light-speed travel was something Lovecraft actually considered in any way.

Not that I have an encyclopedic memory of Lovecraft's work or anything and it's a wide mythos outside of him, but even in stories where you'd think it would come up it doesn't. Like the Mi-Go for instance, which you might assume would have flying saucers or something conceptually similar, fly through space by literally flapping their special space wings instead. I think Cthulhu does something similar.

11. - Top - End - #11

In general, there are no hard rules on what does and doesn't work in Lovecraft's stories. His work isn't one concise body of stories that interconnect, each story has its own logic. So you have things like:

Mi-Go and Elder Things that fly through the aether
    The Great Race of Yith that projects only its minds across time and space
    The color out of space that falls to earth in a kind of egg locked in a meteorite (it's implied that it can also move through space somehow)
    Keziah Mason and Brown Jenkins who can travel by entering another dimension using geometry

Spaceships are never mentioned since Lovecraft's creatures rarely use technology. Overall, Lovecraft wasn't big on actually explaining how things work, since that would be actively counterproductive to the feelings he wanted to provoke. So at best you get the magic equivalent of techno-babble.
    What did the monk say to his dinner?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Out of the frying pan and into the friar!

How would you describe a knife?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cutting-edge technology

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Check for yourself.

Spoiler
    Show
    While he is dead, it's undead.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Literally nothing in that story implies he is in a cavern. He lives in a castle surrounded by a moat and a forest, he mentions the sky and the moon before he gets out, there is no cavern imagery at all. I can see coming to that conclusion but the story hardly screams "guy crawling out of a pit." With the forest he mentions it being darker as you walk away from the castle, which makes no sense underground.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

[QUOTE=Kitten Champion;24523090
    Not that I have an encyclopedic memory of Lovecraft's work or anything and it's a wide mythos outside of him, but even in stories where you'd think it would come up it doesn't. Like the Mi-Go for instance, which you might assume would have flying saucers or something conceptually similar, fly through space by literally flapping their special space wings instead. I think Cthulhu does something similar.[/QUOTE]

I think sorcerers can summon and bind Night-Gaunts, who also travel interstellar space by flapping their wings, to carry them through space.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Literally nothing in that story implies he is in a cavern. He lives in a castle surrounded by a moat and a forest, he mentions the sky and the moon before he gets out, there is no cavern imagery at all. I can see coming to that conclusion but the story hardly screams "guy crawling out of a pit." With the forest he mentions it being darker as you walk away from the castle, which makes no sense underground.
    Spoiler
    Show
    He explicitly says that he had never seen the moon, stars or sun outside his books before. He has little to no light source so he assumed their was an ‘unseen sky’ above the darkness he saw while looking up.
    Forum Wisdom

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Lovecraft was deeply materilistic. There is no afterlife in his works. There are ways to escape your own death by turning into a variety of undead things or being brought back from essential salts by a dark sorceror, but the consciousness just stops when you die.
    Except that is at least one character who has died in real life, yet lives on in the dream world, in Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath. Kuranes, I think is his name in the dream world.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show
    He explicitly says that he had never seen the moon, stars or sun outside his books before. He has little to no light source so he assumed their was an ‘unseen sky’ above the darkness he saw while looking up.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm pretty sure the underground part is some sort of dream. The POV character is a ghoul crawling out of a tomb and visiting the castle where they lived in life. I say this because they mention that it looks familiar--which I took to be similar to the castle they climbed out of. They call it 'maddeningly familiar' and point out that 'well-known towers had been demolished; whilst new wings existed to confuse the beholder'. Thus, while the narrator never mentions that they are the same, the recognition and the dream-like state of the original castle as well as the narrator being a ghoul imply to me that the beginning was some kind of dream-in-undeath until they awakened and visited their old home, which had been changed in however much time had passed since their death.
    Last edited by The Hellbug; 2020-05-22 at 11:06 AM.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    Except that is at least one character who has died in real life, yet lives on in the dream world, in Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath. Kuranes, I think is his name in the dream world.
    No, time flows differently in dreams. The man is dreaming as he dies and is prolonging that dreams indefinitely. He says that he can't wake-up because if his dream ends he will truly die. He isn't dead but dying.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hellbug View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm pretty sure the underground part is some sort of dream. The POV character is a ghoul crawling out of a tomb and visiting the castle where they lived in life. I say this because they mention that it looks familiar--which I took to be similar to the castle they climbed out of. They call it 'maddeningly familiar' and point out that 'well-known towers had been demolished; whilst new wings existed to confuse the beholder'. Thus, while the narrator never mentions that they are the same, the recognition and the dream-like state of the original castle as well as the narrator being a ghoul imply to me that the beginning was some kind of dream-in-undeath until they awakened and visited their old home, which had been changed in however much time had passed since their death.
    That also works. Though he isn't a ghoul even if he ends up living with them, Lovercraft's ghouls aren,'t undead but dog-headed carrion-eaters.
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

That also works. Though he isn't a ghoul even if he ends up living with them, Lovercraft's ghouls aren,'t undead but dog-headed carrion-eaters.
    My mistake, haven't read any of him; you get what I mean, though.
    Coach and Owner of Hellbug's Heroes, Sneak Kings, Sultans of Slaughter, and Commercial Cast-Offs. Season II and III runner-up. Season IV league champion. Season VII division champion.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Hellbug View Post
    My mistake, haven't read any of him; you get what I mean, though.
    Heh. You’re not missing much.
    Forum Wisdom

20. - Top - End - #20

OldWizardGuy

You're missing a *great deal*. The man is considered the grandfather of modern horror for a reason. While some of his stories are lacking, others are masterpieces of the genre.

Look: go to hppodcraft.com, go to their section of "Readings", and download free readings of several of HPL's stories, then judge for yourself how good they are. (All the episodes of the show proper concerning HPL's stuff are also free, and some afterwards, which is a good... 120 episodes or so?)

You can also find his writings online, again for free, since it's probably all out of copyright. (Determining that is harder than it sounds.)
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I've only read a few, but the Case of Charles Dexter Ward was first rate horror.

22. - Top - End - #22

For free readings, I recommend Horrorbabble on Youtube. A good reader makes some of his longer works considerably less tedious.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    I've only read a few, but the Case of Charles Dexter Ward was first rate horror.
    It is probably his best, with At the Mountains of Madness coming a somewhat further second. I don't think his work has aged particularly well, though.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth
    I don't think his work has aged particularly well, though.
    Do you mean in terms of his well-known social issues, or in terms of genre conventions?

As far as the latter, I have the sense that what horrified people a century ago doesn't always have the same traction today. Although the few Lovecraft pieces I've read have certainly had some unsettling moments.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Do you mean in terms of his well-known social issues, or in terms of genre conventions?

As far as the latter, I have the sense that what horrified people a century ago doesn't always have the same traction today. Although the few Lovecraft pieces I've read have certainly had some unsettling moments.
    I'm thinking more in terms of writing style, although the other points are equally valid. On the social issues I'm not sure that Lovecraft was any worse than the other people of his day - I've seen it argued both ways - but I don't believe in discounting a story because its mores and customs (or the author's) don't match yours.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth
    ...I don't believe in discounting a story because its mores and customs (or the author's) don't match yours.
    Good on you for that. I very much agree.

As for the writing style, I'll have to pay more attention to that the next time I read one of his stories. I've only read a very few; the one that's clearest in my mind has to do with a German submarine commander slowly going insane as his U-boat drifts through lost ruins on the seafloor.

On a related tangent, have you seen the recent movie adaptation of Color Out of Space? Is that worthwhile?

Last edited by Palanan; 2020-05-24 at 09:08 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

It's extremely cheesy, but entertaining. It has Nicholas Cage and some nice effects.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

On a related tangent, have you seen the recent movie adaptation of Color Out of Space? Is that worthwhile?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    It's extremely cheesy, but entertaining. It has Nicholas Cage and some nice effects.
    Alas, getting me into the cinema these days (even before COVID-19) is almost impossible. I wasn't even aware there was an adaptation.

29. - Top - End - #29

It also barely runs anywhere, it's not a very widely marketed film. Had to take the train for an hour to get to a city where it ran.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Don’t get me wrong Lovecraft as some good stories and he did create the whole cosmic horror genre which is nothing to scoff at but he is the kind of writer who works better in concept that execution. His prose is long winded to the point of boredom, his reliance on leaving the monster to the reader’s imagination sometimes means there’s nothing actually scary in the story, his protagonists are either so bland they don’t have any character, author avatars or both and in all cases generally lack any positive quality or willingness to actually do or investigate anything. And a lot of his writings have aged terribly either in case of mores or of overuse of the concept meaning that you will see the twist coming looooooong before the characters or won’t see anything wrong with it. I mean there’s a story where the terrible truth is that the narrator is one-hundred-twenty-eighth Congolese, excuse me for not being horrified. Or one where a street’s genus loci kills a bunch of communist Mexican Jews, excuse me for not being relieved. And the shadow over insmouth is at 80% an allegory for the horrors of the great replacement. That hampered my enjoyment of it somewhat, I must say.

They’re classics true, but I won’t be re-reading them any time soon.
    Forum Wisdom