New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. VIIa: The Robot Heart Beats On

Spoiler
    Show
    I think I understand what Palanan meant by the joke. It was May running up shooting at Nathanial and missing (though she did get one hit in?), and breaking Daisy's focus. We had the great scene with Daisy coming back to full power, then poof.

Speaking of Nathanial, the nickname Ferret-Face always comes to mind when I first see him on-screen.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is there something significant about the team being stuck in the early 80's? MCU-wise, comic book wise, AoS-wise?

It was a nice touch seeing one of the Deke Squad again, and knowing they did join SHIELD. Though, did they know anything of the time-traveling part?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Dilvish
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think I understand what Palanan meant by the joke. It was May running up shooting at Nathanial and missing (though she did get one hit in?), and breaking Daisy's focus. We had the great scene with Daisy coming back to full power, then poof.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is exactly what I meant. I’m sure there’s a term for this sort of thing, but I have no idea what to call it.

It’s common throughout the MCU, and it’s been with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. from the beginning. As an example, when Garrett was transformed and began ranting about taking over the world or whatever, and then was zapped by Coulson mid-rant. Another example is Daisy rising up from the gladiatorial ring on Quaked Earth to deliver a Quakey beatdown to the Kree bad guy, only to be sent to sleep and fall to the floor.

Etc., etc. Use of music and cinematography to build audience expectations in the moment, which are then subverted for a cheap laugh. Usually that’s all it is, but given that Daisy’s mother just died, I found it grossly inappropriate.

Originally Posted by Dilvish
    Spoiler
    Show
    Is there something significant about the team being stuck in the early 80's? MCU-wise, comic book wise, AoS-wise?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think it’s part of the general love for the 80s that seems to permeate the MCU.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

I definitely didn't get the feeling that scene was supposed to be funny. It felt very serious to me.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Spoiler: that scene
    Show
    The only thing I'm unsure of is whether Daisy knew that May was back there and did that to distract the bad guy (since they'd JUST commented on it being a bad idea to quake out down there), or whether May legit interrupted her moment.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Show
    The only thing I'm unsure of is whether Daisy knew that May was back there and did that to distract the bad guy (since they'd JUST commented on it being a bad idea to quake out down there), or whether May legit interrupted her moment.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My take was the latter. Daisy, in her rage and grief, was going to bring the whole place down on top of them, but May interrupted and distracted her.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    My take was the latter. Daisy, in her rage and grief, was going to bring the whole place down on top of them, but May interrupted and distracted her.
    You're probably right.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

So, the two-hour season finale. Enjoyable, action-y, some good lines, and wraps everything up—more or less.

Spoiler: At Last, At Last, At Last
    Show
    FINALLY WE GET FITZ!!!

Apparently Fitz has been hiding in the quantum realm all this time, which apparently was no time at all for him. Although after that it gets a little fuzzy.

So…Fitz built a machine to bring him back, and then distributed the parts through time among a variety of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, and then he hoped really, really hard that no one’s basement would flood and destroy a critical component without which his entire plan would fail.

But never mind, it’s still great to see Fitz. I only wish we could’ve seen him earlier, but for whatever reason the season was structured to keep him offscreen.

Spoiler: Visual Effects
    Show
    They seem to have spent considerably more on visual effects this time around, starting with the cavernous docking bay on the Chronicoms’ ship, not to mention the ships themselves, as well as the scenes in the quantum realm later on. The quality of the effects was immensely better than the effects at the end of the previous season.

It almost feels like the old Highlander series, which divided its production between Paris and California, with a day-and-night contrast in quality. Have to wonder how and why the budget was divided the way it was between last season and this.

Spoiler: Best Possible Use for Chronicoms
    Show
    Chronicom-warhead missiles. Held together by duct tape. Hilarious, yet so practical.

Spoiler: Garrett, Cora, Nathaniel
    Show
    Apparently Garrett is fated for an anticlimactic demise no matter what timeline he’s in. I almost felt sorry for him, since he never had the chance to show whether or not his white-hat conversion was genuine.

As for Cora and Nathaniel, there was a sleazy manipulative-boyfriend vibe going on, but it seemed a little too pat and easy. Nathaniel was pitching his Evil Distortion Talk as if Cora had the brains of a turnip, and she just…went right along with it.

And Nathaniel was starting to sound almost petulant, which I suppose is reasonable for a spoiled rich kid, but it had me wondering how much longer Sibyl was going to tolerate him.

Spoiler: Total Recall
    Show
    I spent the last forty-five minutes in a mildly confused haze, and they seemed to be counting on the audience remembering a precise and detailed sequence from the end of the last season.

For me that was a grindingly long year ago, and I couldn’t really follow the flashbacks, to say nothing of the scene where they’re interacting anonymously with an earlier version of Jemma. I get that Fitz and Jemma were…somewhere on the Zephyr, during which interlude they apparently had their kid (with Enoch as midwife, presumably) —but I couldn’t recall where exactly they were. Not sure if I'm supposed to know or if that was deliberately vague, but I feel like I should know.

Spoiler: Same Time Next Year
    Show
    The neuro-conference-call was very S.H.I.E.L.D., but for me it didn’t have the emotional impact it could have. It just seemed…off. Maybe because everyone got a happy ending, without a loss to counterbalance and provide a little more depth.

Also, when did S.H.I.E.L.D. get rebuilt? Did they establish the Coulson Academy, build Zephyrs Two and Three, refit the helicarrier, and restore S.H.I.E.L.D.’s good name all in that one year?

Spoiler: Best Cameo
    Show
    It was fantastic to see Lola again, and they dropped some cash on that transformation sequence. For some reason it reminded me of Mr. Incredible’s car.

Presumably Coulson will be traveling the world in his flying car, which leaves us open for any kind of sequel, in any kind of format.

Spoiler: Into the Sunset
    Show
    And that’s the series.

Not sure what to feel. Overall this last season was one of the most enjoyable in years, with a zingy mix of fun, action, and genuine character growth.

The standout acting this season was from Elizabeth Henstridge, who was just phenomenal, especially in last week’s episode and tonight. For the most part I watch this show with a sense that these are actors speaking their lines, but Jemma’s loss, fear and panic completely sold me on the character.

Ian was great as well, but sadly constrained by the plot. I’m wondering if he was unavailable for part of that time owing to other projects; otherwise it seems like a raw deal for him. Most of the actors are working on new series, while Chloe Bennett seems to be switching to a film career, as well as voicing Daisy Johnson for the Marvel Rising series. It'll be interesting to see where they all go from here.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2020-08-12 at 11:23 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Yes, Ian was unavailable due to scheduling conflicts so Fitz had to spend most of the time off-screen.
    Now with half the calories!

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    So, the two-hour season finale. Enjoyable, action-y, some good lines, and wraps everything up—more or less.

Spoiler: At Last, At Last, At Last
    Show
    FINALLY WE GET FITZ!!!

Apparently Fitz has been hiding in the quantum realm all this time, which apparently was no time at all for him. Although after that it gets a little fuzzy.

So…Fitz built a machine to bring him back, and then distributed the parts through time among a variety of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, and then he hoped really, really hard that no one’s basement would flood and destroy a critical component without which his entire plan would fail.

But never mind, it’s still great to see Fitz. I only wish we could’ve seen him earlier, but for whatever reason the season was structured to keep him offscreen.
    Spoiler: Basements
    Show
    Enoch is the one that spread the parts, and he knew which basements wouldn't flood because he had a copy of the time stream to look at for their plans just like Sybil was using. Fitz was unfortunately not available for filming most of the season, so his role had to be mostly off-screen to deal with that. Fitz was also not actually in the quantum realm. He was in (part of) the zephyr's containment pod, which he converted to being a quantum realm tunnel. If you've seen the ant-man and the wasp or endgame, it's the equivalent to the van.

Spoiler: Best Possible Use for Chronicoms
    Show
    Chronicom-warhead missiles. Held together by duct tape. Hilarious, yet so practical.

It truly is.
    Spoiler: Garrett, Cora, Nathaniel
    Show
    Apparently Garrett is fated for an anticlimactic demise no matter what timeline he’s in. I almost felt sorry for him, since he never had the chance to show whether or not his white-hat conversion was genuine.

As for Cora and Nathaniel, there was a sleazy manipulative-boyfriend vibe going on, but it seemed a little too pat and easy. Nathaniel was pitching his Evil Distortion Talk as if Cora had the brains of a turnip, and she just…went right along with it.

And Nathaniel was starting to sound almost petulant, which I suppose is reasonable for a spoiled rich kid, but it had me wondering how much longer Sibyl was going to tolerate him.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I just appreciated towards the end when Nathaniel can't even consistently pretend he's trying to save the world and not just conquer it.

Spoiler: Total Recall
    Show
    I spent the last forty-five minutes in a mildly confused haze, and they seemed to be counting on the audience remembering a precise and detailed sequence from the end of the last season.

For me that was a grindingly long year ago, and I couldn’t really follow the flashbacks, to say nothing of the scene where they’re interacting anonymously with an earlier version of Jemma. I get that Fitz and Jemma were…somewhere on the Zephyr, during which interlude they apparently had their kid (with Enoch as midwife, presumably) —but I couldn’t recall where exactly they were. Not sure if I'm supposed to know or if that was deliberately vague, but I feel like I should know.
    Spoiler: Flashbacks
    Show
    Some of it was refreshed in multiple flashbacks this season to when Enoch, wearing a disguise, rescues Jemma and Fitz towards the end of last season. Then they go somewhere to do something for some time and come back with time-traveling spaceZephyr and everything else needed to save the day. Explaining where and what thing and how much time was the point of Fitz's story, and the saving the day stuff they just hoped you'd remember. So you were not supposed to know but should have learned in the last episode.

Spoiler: Same Time Next Year
    Show
    The neuro-conference-call was very S.H.I.E.L.D., but for me it didn’t have the emotional impact it could have. It just seemed…off. Maybe because everyone got a happy ending, without a loss to counterbalance and provide a little more depth.

Also, when did S.H.I.E.L.D. get rebuilt? Did they establish the Coulson Academy, build Zephyrs Two and Three, refit the helicarrier, and restore S.H.I.E.L.D.’s good name all in that one year?
    Spoiler
    Show
    S.H.I.E.L.D. was not destroyed in their timeline. Not like it was in the world Deke stayed behind in.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Zalabim
    Spoiler
    Show
    Then they go somewhere to do something for some time and come back with time-traveling spaceZephyr and everything else needed to save the day. Explaining where and what thing and how much time was the point of Fitz's story….
    Spoiler
    Show
    And yet, still not clear exactly where and when they were. I'm not sure if I'm just fritzing out or if this was never really explained in detail.

Originally Posted by Zalabim
    Spoiler
    Show
    S.H.I.E.L.D. was not destroyed in their timeline. Not like it was in the world Deke stayed behind in.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, I got that part, except in their own timeline S.H.I.E.L.D. did fall apart after Winter Soldier, leading to the team being on the run for a while.

I can’t recall now if S.H.I.E.L.D. was ever permanently reinstated, what with all the time-traveling and world-jumping and so forth. They were semi-legal, then legal, then disavowed again. Even if S.H.I.E.L.D. ended up becoming fully legal again, they’ve lost a lot of infrastructure and talent, so it seems a stretch for them to be so built out after just a year.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2020-08-13 at 09:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71

Spoiler
    Show
    And yet, still not clear exactly where and when they were. I'm not sure if I'm just fritzing out or if this was never really explained in detail.
    Spoiler
    Show
    After disguised Enoch rescues them in Season 6 they travel to the trinary star system that was Jemma's childhood favorite star - this was mentioned while Fitz is telling Jemma the story to restore her memory. They lived on the Zephyr for years - aparently without needing to resupply for food or water - until they'd finished their tech and raised their daughter to her current age, and then returned where Fitz stayed in the half of the container that had the quantum tunnel while Jemma went to meet the 4 hazmat suited "back up" to save the team in Season 6's finale and start Season 7. Fitz and Enoch could plan all those details out because they had the timestream and Fitz sort of mind-melded to it making himself the anti-sybil... that's what I understood.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, I got that part, except in their own timeline S.H.I.E.L.D. did fall apart after Winter Soldier, leading to the team being on the run for a while.

I can’t recall now if S.H.I.E.L.D. was ever permanently reinstated, what with all the time-traveling and world-jumping and so forth. They were semi-legal, then legal, then disavowed again. Even if S.H.I.E.L.D. ended up becoming fully legal again, they’ve lost a lot of infrastructure and talent, so it seems a stretch for them to be so built out after just a year.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shield is destroyed in Season 1. By Season 2 it has gotten a few more recruits and has a base up and running - there is another splinter group runnign a whole aircraft carrier. By season 3 these groups have combined, but it is not officially back. In season 4 Shield is officially restored with Mace as the director, there is talk that Shield might be disolved after Mace's death and the general getting shot at the end of Season 4. The only part of Shield that we know gets criminalized is Coulson's team though - and in Season 5 two Quinjets including Deathlok showed up for Fitz and Simmon's wedding. In Season 6 Shield is opperating with the Lighthouse as an HQ as they are rebuilding and hoping to open a new Academy. Then over in the MCU - the Quinjet that Coulson prepared in Season 2 is used by Fury to save the day in Ultron and Shield is apparently back and running as before in Spiderman Far From Home - though I haven't actually seen that one yet.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Im enjoying the callbacks.
    Wards bouncing betty bomb staff shows up.
    Macks issues with robots.
    They basically injected Jemma with a truth serum. Shame "Grammsy?" didnt make a comback too.
    Obviously the 084

Damn dude, poor Garrett. Hand got her revenge though

Was the old black guy with the tuning fork Mr. Fury?
    Last edited by Lvl45DM!; 2020-08-13 at 11:10 PM.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have a minor question about the last scene:

Spoiler
    Show
    When was Mac zombified?
    Last edited by Soepvork; 2020-08-14 at 06:26 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    Soepvork? Bang freakin' on. A cookie must be doled out, though I fear its chocolate chip-deliciously-infected substance is far too lacking of grandeur to be a prize of the appropriate scale.

So you get two cookies.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by SuperPanda
    Spoiler
    Show
    After disguised Enoch rescues them in Season 6 they travel to the trinary star system that was Jemma's childhood favorite star - this was mentioned while Fitz is telling Jemma the story to restore her memory.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aha, thank you. They did mention the trinary, it just got by me.

In fact, I missed the connection because I couldn’t identify the star or the constellation, and that distracted me. Does anyone happen to remember the name of that trinary, or the constellation it was in?

Originally Posted by SuperPanda
    Spoiler
    Show
    Then over in the MCU - the Quinjet that Coulson prepared in Season 2 is used by Fury to save the day in Ultron and Shield is apparently back and running as before in Spiderman Far From Home - though I haven't actually seen that one yet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think you mean the helicarrier that Coulson prepared.

As for the second Spider-Man movie, Nick Fury and a handful of people are working a case, but there’s no indication that they’re supported by a full S.H.I.E.L.D. apparatus, and there are hints that the broader S.H.I.E.L.D. organization is gone.

Can’t tell you more without major spoilers for Far From Home. Fun movie, definitely see it when you can.

Originally Posted by Lvl45DM!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Damn dude, poor Garrett. Hand got her revenge though
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nice catch on this one, I didn’t make that connection.

Most of the earlier seasons are a distant blur to me. I don't remember Ward's bouncing-betty staff at all--when I saw that a couple of nights ago I was immediately reminded of the first scenes from Serenity, when Simon uses an almost identical device to spring River from captivity.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Spoiler
    Show
    Aha, thank you. They did mention the trinary, it just got by me.

In fact, I missed the connection because I couldn’t identify the star or the constellation, and that distracted me. Does anyone happen to remember the name of that trinary, or the constellation it was in?
    Spoiler: twinkle twinkle
    Show

I think it was the star Alya in the trinary system Theta Serpentis, which is in the constellation Serpens
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Star Bright
    Show
    Okay, thanks.

That's an odd choice for Simmons to call a "trinary," because it really isn't--it's a binary with a close visual companion, but only as seen from Earth. In space it's a binary with the third star several dozen lightyears away, so not in any way part of the binary system.

Also, the derivation for the name Alya is apparently "fat tail of a sheep," which may not be something Alya will appreciate once she's in high school.

17. - Top - End - #77

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Soepvork View Post
    I have a minor question about the last scene:

Spoiler
    Show
    When was Mac zombified?
    Back in... was it season 2? The temple where Daisy got cocooned.
    Now with half the calories!

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl45DM! View Post
    Was the old black guy with the tuning fork Mr. Fury?
    I don't see how, as Fury would have been younger in the 80s than he is today, not older.

19. - Top - End - #79

Might have been meant to be Derek Luke's character from Cap1/Agent Carter.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Anyway, what do you think the odds are, based on that ending...

Spoiler
    Show
    ...that they might pitch Agents of SWORD as a sequel series?

That's probably just me being overly optimistic, though.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Well I enjoyed the ending greatly. I didn't expect them to wrap things up like that, but I figured there was a 50/50 chance they're return to their original timeline.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I especially liked their little Back to the Future 2 move where they all had to sneak around their previous selves while reenacting the events of last season's finale.

And I'm glad everyone got their happy ending.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by JadedDM
    Spoiler
    Show
    …[odds] that they might pitch Agents of SWORD as a sequel series?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I’d say the odds for a major network series are close to zero. Try pitching that concept and you’d have to explain how it differs from the seven-season show that just wrapped up. That difference may be relevant to comics fans, but not to the average ABC viewer.

That said, the odds of a streaming series, perhaps on Disney+, are just a sliver better, and it’s faintly possible it might show up at some point. But I wouldn’t expect it anytime soon.

Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye
    Spoiler
    Show
    I especially liked their little Back to the Future 2 move where they all had to sneak around their previous selves while reenacting the events of last season's finale.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty sure I called that a while ago.

23. - Top - End - #83

Anyway, what do you think the odds are, based on that ending...

Spoiler
    Show
    ...that they might pitch Agents of SWORD as a sequel series?

That's probably just me being overly optimistic, though.
    Just shy of non-existent. Marvel Film was trying to get rid of Agents back in season three, which is what lead to them not referencing the movies as far as possible after that. Besides, we know what the schedule is for the next few years and the afterglow won't make it that far.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I don't see how, as Fury would have been younger in the 80s than he is today, not older.
    I meant his dad. The guy who carried a bag full of crumpled up ones and a loaded .45.
    I Am A:Neutral Good Human Bard/Sorcerer (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-11
    Constitution-16
    Intelligence-16
    Wisdom-12
    Charisma-16

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

I think the person we saw was too old to have been Nick Fury's father in 1983. And that would be an extremely obscure reference.

Beyond that, why would Enoch choose him? He would have been an elevator operator, not an operative or anyone with access to an especially secure environment for storing irreplaceable components.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Well according to IMDB, Bill Cobb was credited simply as "Old Man" in the finale, so I guess that (doesn't) answers that question.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

sigh.

Wednesday night, and no S.H.I.E.L.D. to watch. It's a sad feeling. I'll miss 'em.

*turns out lights*

28. - Top - End - #88

Yeah, the biggest gut punch of the finale for me was:

Spoiler
    Show
    When I didn't hear "... return in a moment"

Its a shame the show is over but I really loved the ride.