New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Why do the Bracers of Defense require attunement?

It's a magic item that increases AC when not wearing armor or using a shield.

Armor +X and shield +X don't require attunement. The bracers offer the same AC boost as a shield of the same rarity.

It feels like the point of Bracers of Defense is to give that AC boost to classes who can't use armor/shields +X, but it gives a lower AC boost and requires attunement.

Would it be unbalanced to change the Bracers of Defense to not require attunement and to come in Uncommon (+1), Rare (+2), and Very Rare (+3) variants? This would mirror the progression of magic shields, and it still can't be stacked with magic armor.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Why do the Bracers of Defense require attunement?

Quote Originally Posted by Greywander View Post
    It's a magic item that increases AC when not wearing armor or using a shield.

Armor +X and shield +X don't require attunement. The bracers offer the same AC boost as a shield of the same rarity.

It feels like the point of Bracers of Defense is to give that AC boost to classes who can't use armor/shields +X, but it gives a lower AC boost and requires attunement.

Would it be unbalanced to change the Bracers of Defense to not require attunement and to come in Uncommon (+1), Rare (+2), and Very Rare (+3) variants? This would mirror the progression of magic shields, and it still can't be stacked with magic armor.
    Armor and Shields require proficiency which might be tied into it, I see it like this: Ring/Cloak of Protection require attunement, the bracers are the same thing just swapping the +1 save for another +1AC.
    For D&D 5e Builds, Tips, News and more see our Youtube Channel Dork Forge

Feel free to message for any build requests or challenges

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I'm going to guess that the reason they kept the bracers relatively weak is that it is an AC boost that be stacked by everyone. The paladin with +1 plate and a shield can also use it as well as the monk, and that makes it one of the best ways to get your AC into the stratospheric levels that everyone but that player wants to avoid.

Personally, i'd be fine with that change and just controlling what parties and players get what magic items, just another part of DM management. Even more, i like making custom magic bracers, like a set i have lying around in my homebrew folder that i made to prove 4 elements could be replaced/outdone by some simple magic items.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dork_Forge View Post
    Armor and Shields require proficiency which might be tied into it, I see it like this: Ring/Cloak of Protection require attunement, the bracers are the same thing just swapping the +1 save for another +1AC.
    Proficiency is a fair point. The Ring and Cloak of Protection stack with armor, though, so that's probably why they require attunement. It makes sense for the bracers to be perhaps weaker that armor +X, since you don't need proficiency to use them, but they can't stack with armor like the ring and cloak can. You're either using the bracers or wearing armor, not both.

Quote Originally Posted by Dungeon-noob View Post
    I'm going to guess that the reason they kept the bracers relatively weak is that it is an AC boost that be stacked by everyone. The paladin with +1 plate and a shield can also use it as well as the monk, and that makes it one of the best ways to get your AC into the stratospheric levels that everyone but that player wants to avoid.

Personally, i'd be fine with that change and just controlling what parties and players get what magic items, just another part of DM management. Even more, i like making custom magic bracers, like a set i have lying around in my homebrew folder that i made to prove 4 elements could be replaced/outdone by some simple magic items.
    Technically, the paladin can use the bracers, but to do so he has to take off his armor and shield. The bracers do not by any stretch let you boost your AC to stratospheric levels, you want armor +3 and a shield +3 for that, which can't be used with the bracers.

To reiterate, the bracers do not work if you're wearing armor or using a shield. This makes them one of the weaker AC items, since it prevents AC stacking.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dungeon-noob View Post

Bracers of defense don't work with armor, you have to have no armor to get the bonus.

As for the stacking issue, I generally rule "magic item bonus" as being the same magical effect, and thus don't allow it to stack. Otherwise, shield builds become boringly un-hitable, archer builds stack + arrows with + bows to overpower anything melee, and casters generally have to resort to "unfun" things like forcecage to stay relevant in comparison. Honestly though, I generally prefer to homebrew magic items that do actually interesting things rather than give +X.
    Spoiler: bad tactics
    Show

I look at the lich and smirk a bit, as I bring myself back to my feet

"What are you smiling about?" it says

"hehe, it looks like you've made... a grave mistake :D"

the bard, actively bleeding out on the ground *ba-dum-tss*

"Ha! Nice try. Telling a bad joke to try to make your opponent drop their guard. Oldest trick in the book. Trust me, I was there."

*barbarian falling, sword in hands, from the top of the castle wall directly above the lich*

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Unarmored defence classes - barbarian and monk - already can scale their AC from 15ish up to 20ish at level 20.

Bracers of Defence lets them outscale the target amount of AC unarmored builds are "supposed" to have.

The same is true of shields, but shields require giving up on GWM and SS similar high-return options.

It wouldn't break the game if they where attunement free. But in 5e they out effort into ensuring that heavy plate armor was better AC than no armor.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    It wouldn't break the game if they where attunement free. But in 5e they out effort into ensuring that heavy plate armor was better AC than no armor.
    Well they kind of failed. Light and medium armor will always sit just 1 point behind heavy, and with Medium Armor Master even that goes away, letting you get plate-level AC but without a stealth penalty. And anyway I feel like Unarmored Defense is supposed to be, "You get to have good AC even though you don't wear armor." Besides, Unarmored Defense requires a high stat investment, whereas heavy armor only requires 15 STR. Basically, with a properly optimized party, you'd almost never see a monk with Bracers of Defense having more AC than your heavy armor wearers.

Although I will agree that it would have been more interesting if there was more distinction between different armor types. The two armor feats kind of do this (heavy gives damage reduction, medium lets you sneak while having best AC), but not many people want to pay the feat tax, and there's nothing for light armor or unarmored.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Its probably intended to be the opportunity cost in order for non-armor classes, spellcasters specifically, to be able to have an AC bonus from items. Its not amazing, but they could get the same bonus from some light armors, so right there its already the equivalent of a feat or racial bonus to a wizard.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Because this is a very strong item on monks, barbarians, baldsingers with mage armour. Another mage armour users(it turns it to the equivalent of studded leather+3 without being considered armoured which is a bonus). Robe of the Archmagi and other non armour AC bonus like staff of defense, staff of power and more.
    Last edited by BloodSnake'sCha; 2020-05-24 at 07:52 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Probably because it's not a huge burden on their intended users.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember Bracers of Defense DO stack with the spell Mage Armor. So its not just Barbarians and Monks. Oh and certain wild shapes for Druids could also wear the bracers.

In regards to attunment,
    It doesn't matter that it doesn't stack with regular armor its not intended for classes who wear armor anyway. A magic item doesn't have to be universally useful to all classes require attunment. Its about an opportunity cost, if the wizard attunes to the bracers thats one less staff or wand he could attune to.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Some classes have low AC as one of their weaknesses. Letting a class remove that is a step towards losing the distinction between them. Putting a bit more of an opportunity cost to this helps keep it non-obvious what type of item to use and keep characters from blending in to each other.

To be honest, if they didnt require attunement it wouldn't bother me at all. I just wouldn't have them appear in the campaign.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Armor and shields require proficiency and impose penalties and restrictions on the character's movement.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

I tend to agree that either the rarity (rare) or the attunement requirement are slightly steep on this item

For a while I thought they were uncommon. Them requiring attunement for 2 AC is still nice if you find a pair because more likely than not, at least 1 of the 12-18 attunement slots available on a typical adventuring party is open and at least one character will gain 2 AC from them

If I truly wanted to minmax for high magic, higher level, efficient use of gold available on a character build, they would probably be cut in favor of some better rare magic item
    Last edited by beargryllz; 2020-05-24 at 11:26 AM.