New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: A Cultural Tour Gone Wrong [IC]

"That sounds like someone is setting up a thieves' guild - What crimes are we talking about here? Please be precise. I'd like to know who or what cause has benefited here."

Wendelstein continued his interrogation

2. - Top - End - #272
    Colossus in the Playground

"I didn't take any notes," he says, "and my memory ain't the best. So I couldn't tell you."

He turns to leave, taking a step and...

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Attacks of Opportunity all round to knock him out or grapple his butt.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Shilellagh hit

(1d20)[9]+9, damage (2d8)[10]+6, if crit (2d8)[13]

Wendelstein let the staff crack down on the man's back, adding the forge fire's power behind the blow.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2020-07-20 at 03:35 PM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think so...

Kyra reaches out to grab the man again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Peerless Athlete should still be in effect, giving me advantge on my grapple check.

(1d20+6)[11], (1d20+6)[18]

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

5. - Top - End - #275

Kyra's grab is unneeded-the powerful bop from Wendelstein's staff knocks the man out, leaving him twitching slightly on the floor, foam coming more to the corners of his mouth.

You would know that you've still got some time-but all the same, take too long, and the other guards will investigate where Atin and his friend went.

Show
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

"Now we are in a bit of a pickle. Those two are clearly corrupt - they confessed so themselves. But they are also addicts and not entirely rational. It would be a crime to kill them.
    But we can't take them easily with us either.
    That leaves us only with one ethical solution: Bind them both and leave them here to be found. Though that will invariably endanger us and the Princess specifically.
    I guess I could lobtomize them and heal them at a later time, though that is not something I'd do lightly. The human machine is rather fragile after all."

Wendelstein ponders.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bastion

The warforged speaks lowly with the intent of Atin in the next room not being able to hear him.

"There is also a tactic applied in times of war. You let a prisoner 'escape' and follow them to their hideout. This could work out here as well. But, as you have stated, it is a risk."

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

"You are right. Though I fear he would only lead us to his tainted friends - which he likely would sick on us now that he can describe our group. Or do you have reason to believe that he lied about not being able to contact the person behnd this conspiracy?
    He appeared to me to be quite sincere."

Wendelstein replied.

9. - Top - End - #279

Bastion

The warforged nods in a mostly humanoid way. "I agree to your assessment. It could be however that he - or his addicted friends - are contacted by their suppliers, particularly if word comes out that he was abducted. But as I mentioned, it is a risk, and leaving this place behind as soon as possible could be a safer plan. We do not, however, have any further leads than those fellows, if I recall correctly."

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

"There is one, though I'll need a night's rest before I can try it:
    There is a divination that allows me to sense objects.
    If I can move quickly enough, I should be able to pick up where the Vision supply and maybe kitchen are.

And of course we can examine the meeting place outside the city for clues."

Wendelstein replied.

11. - Top - End - #281

Bastion nods but stays quiet to let the others weigh in.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Nilvalor

Looking back and forth between Bastion and Wendelstein, Nilvalor can only shrug at first. "Seems to me these two don't know much worth telling. They can't identify anything useful about their supplier. We know where they meet that supplier, but we also know they weren't supposed to meet again until they took care of her," he says, nodding towards the princess. "If we can't hope to find anything by following them, perhaps we can still use them for misinformation. They seem stupid enough," Nilvalor says, staring down at the oafish man with foam at the corners of his mouth, sure that he was no longer with them. "Perhaps we can allow Atin to overhear something he thinks he shouldn't have. Some misleading detail to throw them off the princess' trail, or let him overhear where we plan to stay, but keep watch from another building to see if anyone interesting turns up. If you can divine the location of their supply, perhaps this is all unnecessary, but I doubt we'll have an easy time using these two again anytime soon."

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

"A good idea. We could get the corrupted guards to raid a location of our choosing and trap them there, thus reducing the available reinforcements.
    Does anyone of you know of a place around here that would be suitably for such an endeavor? Maybe even one with natural hazzards?"

Wendelstein said, touching his own head for a bit of inspiration

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[14]+1 Intelligence + (1d4)[2]

For a suitable place in or outside the city

Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2020-07-24 at 09:28 AM.

14. - Top - End - #284

Spoiler: Intelligence (History or Familiarity With The City) DC 10
    Show
    History applies since the city's reasonably old. If you've reason to be familiar with the city, due to backstory, you can also apply your proficiency.

There's a part of the city-the part you're in now, actually-that has a decent amount of unused warehouses, during lower trading times.

Spoiler: DC 18
    Show
    There's an undercity-old, abandoned buildings and squares left to drift downwards on the soggy terrain. It's rumoured to have nasty gribblies in it, but would make an excellent ambush spot.

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #285

We could use the undercity, it's part of this area that was flooded like a century ago. Cause it's infested with creatures the city kinda just left it alone. Katrina muses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

"An excellent suggestion. Far enough away from the public that we don't have to fear interference. Now, all we need to do is find a suitable place, clear it of larger vermin and lay our trap. And of course one of us has to pretend to be so dumb and arrogant that he would let slip, where the princess is hiding out.

Nilvalor, would you do us the honors? I think you have proven that you are such an excellent actor."

Wendelstein asked his companion.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2020-07-27 at 12:50 PM.

17. - Top - End - #287

SwashbucklerGuy

Nilvalor

Nodding quietly as he mulls over how to go about it, Nilvalor glances up at Katrina first, then over to Bastion, and then Wendelstein. For various reasons he keeps searching until his eyes land on the Paladin. "Kyra, would you assist me for a moment? Just for a moment," he says, hoping she wouldn't mind too much. She didn't appear to care much for deception, but then again, she appeared to care a great deal about doing whatever it took to protect Katrina. "When I give you a cue, could you just tell me that you think the plan to hide in the under-city is stupid without offering an alternative? A fake argument should do nicely, if you don't mind helping me."

Moving over towards the other room without quite entering, Nilvalor pretends to continue a hushed argument on the merits of their plan to hide.

"...and anyway, that's really not the point, Lana. The point is, where else can we possibly go? The under-city is the only place to hide her while we figure this out. If we try to help the princess escape the city now with everyone on alert, we're just going to get Katrina captured or worse. No. No, we stay in the under-city until we find a better way," Nilvalor whispers urgently, pitching his voice loud enough to be heard through the door. Nilvalor tries to make it appear like he's hiding his voice from not just Atin, but their other companions.

Show

Deception: (1d20+9)[27]
    w/ Advantage if Kyra helps: (1d20+9)[14]

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

"Well done." Wendelstein whispered to the two. "Now let's go and find that ambush point and prepare ourselves."

19. - Top - End - #289

Show
    Give me navigation checks to find a good spot.

Whatever check feels right-if you add proficiency and I feel it's not appropriate, I'll let you know and modify the result.

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #290

Show
    Assuming that we need to locate entrances / tracks leading there / the like, I would assume perception or survival to be fitting? Bastion has both at +2+3 = 5.

(1d20+5)[15]

21. - Top - End - #291
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Then Wendelstein will look out as well:
    Perception:
    (1d20)[16]+9+(1d4)[3]

As the group moved through the city, Wendelstein took note of the architecture around them, trying to spot just where the old sewer system was most likely to have its entrances to a suitable spot.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2020-07-31 at 09:52 AM.

22. - Top - End - #292

SwashbucklerGuy

Nilvalor

Seeking to aid the tall devotee of Gond, Nilvalor shadows him, a second set of eyes looking where he does not. Between the two of them, he feels sure that they will locate a suitable place to ambush those who would seek to harm the princess.

Show

Providing help to Wendelstein to give him advantage on Perception.

23. - Top - End - #293

Katrina will aid as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

With advantage (1d20)[20]

Edit: So Perception 32

Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2020-08-01 at 09:43 AM.

25. - Top - End - #295

With Katrina's trivia of the city, you're able to find an entrance to the undercity without too much struggle. Wendelstein's eagle eyes let you avoid any trouble, as Bastion navigates you towards a good spot you can lay ambush in.

You eventually end in a large room, part sewer, part cavern. The room itself is some 40' high, with three entrances-one leading deeper, the other two coming from above. There's a good amount of detritus about, plenty to hide behind, though it does make walking difficult except in a few paths.

Show
    You've got difficult terrain-everyone's speed will be at 3/4ths the normal amount (round up, but minimum of -5') unless you have a way of ignoring difficult terrain. You can either roll with advantage for a Stealth check made to lay ambush, or take 15-but if you roll, you're stuck with it.

Please give a general idea of where you are in the room as well.

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

I'm writing the following under the assumption that the guards won't find us for an hour or two

Improvising two hunting traps (Survival)

(1d20)[19]+5+ (1d4)[2]
    (1d20)[6]+5+ (1d4)[3]

Spoiler: Something like that just with masonry
    Show

Wendelstein immediately began to work: In the middle of the room he cleaned a section of debris and created a small fireplace from the surrounding stone and wood. Then he put together a small pile of masonry that resembled the outline of a sitting figure. Over that he draped a coat, making it look like a figure turning their back two the two entrances coming from above.

Then he went to dig out two foot traps along the two obvious paths from the doors towards the decoy.

"I'll leave the business of war planning to you others, but my suggestion would be to bar one of the entrances leading upwards. To the other we place some heavy piece that we can use to bar entrance quickly. Bastion takes position there and closes off the entrance as soon as there are four of them in with us - we don't want them to outnumber us after all.
    Katrina, you don't want to be in melee and we need to be able to evacuate you deeper into the underground if need be. As I have ranged capabilities I stay at your side.
    Nilvalor, I expect you want to skirmish and make good use of moving from cover to cover. A good starting point certainly would be near one of my traps to exploit anyone's predicament who gets stuck there.
    And Kira, I think your prowress in melee is best served with Bastion at your side."

Wendelstein said, clearly contradicting his initial statement.

27. - Top - End - #297

Wendelstein manages to improvise two traps, one of which is considerably better hidden than the other. Still, even if one or both are spotted, in the heat of combat, they're still dangerous.

The figure he crafts won't stand up to any close examination, but should be enough to fool a cursory glance.

Show
    DC 26 and 14 to find the traps.

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #298

SwashbucklerGuy

Nilvalor

As Wendelstein begins to prepare for the ambush that was soon to come, Nilvalor sends Elly down the path that leads deeper to scout what lays behind them. "Not too far now," Nilvalor warns her, "just take a quick look. I don't want to have to come looking for you in 10 minutes so don't go getting yourself in trouble." While Elly flies down deeper into the under-city, Nilvalor watches Wendelstein work for a moment before setting about trying to barricade an entrance with the material on-hand. Looking over Wendelstein's traps, he's thankful he doesn't have to move the barricade. One trap is quite a bit easier to spot, and luckily that path leads to the newly made barricade.

Finding some cover to hide behind if things start to go south, Nilvalor nevertheless puts himself as close as he can to the trap on the path they would be coming down. He plucks at the string on his shortbow nervously, trying to hide his unease. It was a fine plan. Just sit and wait to be attacked, but at least they'd get the drop on whoever was coming. He hoped.

Show

Stealth: (1d20+8)[24]
    w/ Advantage: (1d20+8)[18]

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

Once finished, Wendelstein made sure to get out of the way and took up position near the second exit concealing himself as best as he could.

30. - Top - End - #300

You hear the sounds of someone approaching-sounds like just one person. But, unluckily, it's coming from behind-the deeper passageway. You frantically rearrange your hiding, to avoid being spotted, and you think you manage it.

To your surprise, three humanoid figures come out-two of them silent as the grave. The central one, who carries a staff, speaks in an unfamiliar language, and directs the other two to with a gesture towards your mock-up of the Princess.

The two head for the center, and you...

Show
    Show

Show