New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: A Cultural Tour Gone Wrong [IC]

Bastion

So, either the man in front of us is with the traitors, then Wemly might be too -- or it's exactly the other way round. Either way, something's amiss here.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

With one of the guards running off for something, Kyra decides that now is the time to add to whatever they are thinking on. She gathers Katrina and the others and makes to walk past the guards, stopping when they ask her what she needs. You know where Atin is? Sergeant Attenborough sent us to give him a hand in his search.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Nilvalor

As Kyra ushers them forward, Nilvalor abruptly stops, finding his voice and explaining, "I'll hang back. I'm sure you'll get through, but just in case..." Nilvalor trails off, shrugging. "See you on the other side." Without further explanation, he turns aside before the guards can make out they're together and darts into an alley. Finding a quiet spot, he reaches out to Ella with his mind until he can see through her eyes, watching and listening as Kyra and Katrina approach the guards.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Colossus in the Playground

"Sergeant Attenborough? You got a note from her?" the guard asks.

Spoiler: Insight DC 12, For Anyone
    Show
    There's a bit of... Maybe disdain? Maybe just dislike? Hard to pinpoint what EXACTLY it is, but it's clearly a negative emotion.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Insight test:
    (1d20)[14]+8

Wendelstein watched with curiosity the look on the man's face. Another indication, that those tainted guards were still high functioning and not to be underestimated. Whatever was causing this taint had to be remedied soon before it spread further.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2020-06-16 at 12:23 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

A note? For you? Kyra asks with a slight hint of disgust.

And why would a sergeant send a note to a soldier? If you want verify my order, that is your affair. But if you need a note, I will write you one to take to her.

Kyra thinks her spear into the road so it remains standing while she takes out a piece of parchment and begins to write, speaking the words as she does so.

My compliments to Sergeant Attenborough. The bearer of this note requires proof that you have indeed asked us to meet Atin. Please inform him of our contract as mercenaries engaged in the attempt to find the Princess Katrina.

Yours in service,

Kyra of Peliposos
    Paladin of Tyche

And also, if your time permits, would you be so kind as to join me for supper? There are some finer points of our contract I wish to discuss with you.

Note finished, she takes it, folds it and ties it closed with a small length of ribbon. She then presents it to the guard.

Go on. Take this to her, embarrass yourself and your city with your lack of regard for your superiors. And please hurry with the reply, every minute we wait is another minute her royal highness is missing.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Persuasion check: (1d20+8)[9]

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

7. - Top - End - #157

The guard laughs at you. "I'm not your errand-boy. Bring me a note, and sure, I'll let you pass-assuming it's not forged."

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

If you are that worried about forgeries, then you should take it yourself, Kyra says, tucking the note into the guard’s armor.

She then takes her spear and hefts it out of the ground. Now, let us pass, or, by Tyche, you will have trouble.

Show
    Rolling Intimidate again, since now I am straight up threatening him.

(1d20+5)[22]

Finally. Also, I would take the opportunity to point that Kyra is 6 feet tall, and has well defined musculature showing since her armor is a breastplate, bracers and greaves.
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2020-06-16 at 06:18 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

9. - Top - End - #159

"I, um, well..." he stammers out. He looks at the other guards nearby, but they seem perfectly content to let him handle this alone. He doesn't SAY you can pass, but his body language indicates that he wouldn't really stop you if you brush past.

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #160

SwashbucklerGuy

Nilvalor

Watching the proceedings nervously, Nilvalor exhales a sigh of relief as the guards stand down and appear ready to allow Kyra to pass. He waits just a few moments longer to make sure they're free to go.
    Last edited by Riggdgames; 2020-06-16 at 06:53 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Kyra takes Katrina by the hand, and strolls past the guards. Once they are a step or two past them Kyra calls back behind her.

Oh, and please do hurry with that reply. I did so much enjoy the good sergeant's company, and hope an opportunity to meet with her again.
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2020-06-16 at 06:58 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

"So there is special provision for church personel after all. On we go then."
    Wendelstein indicated at Bastion to follow him, not giving the guard a chance to block him going after the others.

13. - Top - End - #163

You make it past the guards. While you have the nagging sense that this might cause trouble later, for now, you're free and easy.

It'll take about twenty minutes to reach where Atin is supposed to be. Will you do anything other than go right there?

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Troll in the Playground

When they were out of visual range of the guard cordon, Wendelstein sped up to catch up with Kyra and Katrina: "Slow down a bit, we need to prepare a place first where we can talk undisturbed with the guard. Tainted or not, no guard will stand by while we experiment on one of their own."

15. - Top - End - #165

SwashbucklerGuy

Nilvalor
    Concentration: Invisibility

Realizing that the rest of the group has managed to pass through unscathed, Nilvalor cloaks himself in Invisibility and stealths past, rushing to catch up with his companions once he is out of earshot of the guards.

Show

Stealth: (1d20+8)[23]
    w/ advantage: (1d20+8)[14]

Reasonably confident that they didn't detect a thing, Nilvalor rushes up behind his companions and reaches out a hand to catch Ella on his outstretched, but still invisible arm. Struggling to choose who to ask, he finally settles on the Warforged as least likely to be offended or off-put. "Bastion, would you be so kind as to hold her for a bit?"
    Last edited by Riggdgames; 2020-06-17 at 06:56 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166

We should definitely prepare. Just in case. Katrina muses outloud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Riggdgames View Post
    Nilvalor

Realizing that the rest of the group has managed to pass through unscathed, Nilvalor cloaks himself in Invisibility and stealths past, rushing to catch up with his companions once he is out of earshot of the guards.

Show

Stealth: [roll0]
    w/ advantage: [roll1]

Reasonably confident that they didn't detect a thing, Nilvalor rushes up behind his companions and reaches out a hand to catch Ella on his outstretched, but still invisible arm. Struggling to choose who to ask, he finally settles on the Warforged as least likely to be offended or off-put. "Bastion, would you be so kind as to hold her for a bit?"
    Bastion

Dumbfounded for a moment, he hesitates, but then extend his arm as he had seen Nilvalor do it. "Yes, sure... Ella, is it?" He asks, wondering what he should do with the creature.

Spoiler: OOC Riggdgames
    Show
    It's an owl, isn't it?

"An abandoned warehouse can be used efficiently as a makeshift interrogation room." He says, in a quite neutral tone. "It tends to instill a feeling of futility in the interrogated person's mind, which reduces the necessity of other measures."

18. - Top - End - #168

So let's look around for one, then! Katrina beams wildly, starting to scan the area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

19. - Top - End - #169

SwashbucklerGuy

Nilvalor

"That's right," Nilvalor says proudly, though it's hard to tell his expression from just the sound of his voice. "I...thank you. I don't wish for her to have to fly everywhere, but it's hard to be inconspicuous carrying an owl on your shoulder while invisible," he says from beside you.

Spoiler: OOC Niobaran, image of owl for reference
    Show

His expression hidden as he walks along beside them, Nilvalor asks aloud, "I trust this interrogation business can be, umm, difficult enough without having to move an unwilling subject too far. Perhaps we should start as close to the barracks as possible? And maybe we could also try to get him to come along willingly, at least at first?" Nilvalor asks carefully.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

"You are right Nilvalor, the closer the better and if our two ladies employ their assets right, I'm sure we can lure Atin to us as well.
    If you don't mind I'll take a look around the area of the barrens to find a suitable location. Nilvalor would you mind accompanying me? There might be a use for your sharp tongue."

Wendelstein waited for a moment if anyone of his companion wanted to accompany him and then went off in search of suitable real estate.

It didn't take long to find a suitable object: Not too far from the baracks, easily accessible and... unfortunately occupied.

Undeterred, Wendelstein closed in on the squatters: "Gentelmen, I'll be frank: I need to rent your domicile for a few hours. Gond and I will reward you handsomely for it."

21. - Top - End - #171

The five people, four men and a woman, look at you, blearily-you've awoken them.

They seem hungry and ill-kept, likely in a bad spot in their lives. One of them asks "What do you mean?"

Show
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Concentrating for a moment before answering he said:
    "I am willing to compensate you, for leaving this place for a few hours, while my congregation and I gather here undisturbed. How does a hot meal and a night in a warm bed sound to you as compensation?
    I might also be persuaded to help you out in other ways to get your lives back on track - presuming that it isn't your dream to live in a place like this of course."

Wendelstein replied in his usual, undiplomatic way.

Spoiler
    Show

Persuation
    (1d20)[10]-1 (1d4)[4]

23. - Top - End - #173

Show
    No Persuasion needed-your... Bribe? Offering? Your offering is more than enough.

The man who spoke nudges his comrades, who focus on you. You can see one of them looks to be in a real bad shape, twitchy and eyes wild. The man speaks again, saying "That'd be great. We just... Lost our homes, and our livelihoods, and we haven't been able to get back on track. Thank you."

You give them a few coins and directions to where they can find friendly faces, along with letting them know to stay away from where the celebration and parade was supposed to be. They shake your hand, thankful. As they leave, the woman asks "Will you find us later? To... To help us? Or should we come back here?"

Show
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

"I'll do my best to find you. I know someone of higher station who might also be able to help you out. But I can't promise you that I'll have time right away."

Once they are gone, Wendelstein returns to where he left the group, seeing what they had been up to.

25. - Top - End - #175

SwashbucklerGuy

Nilvalor
    Concentration: --

Nilvalor nods automatically at Wendelstein's request, remembering a moment later that he's still invisible. "Oh. Yes, yes of course." But he doesn't remove the spell. Instead he travels along with Wendelstein, opening his mouth at one point as if to speak, but thinks better of it. Not all folk were as easygoing around voices or people appearing out of nowhere.

"I thought that went well," Nilvalor comments on the walk back to their companions, finally dispelling the invisibility as the time is coming to a close anyway. "Gond smiles on you, no doubt."

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

"Gond is mainly concerned about being industrious - do something before you do nothing and even if it doesn't work out, you'll have learned something for the next time. But that was a neat trick of you - turning invisible. What else can you do? Honestly this time. I can't make plans when I don't know what tools I have to work with."
    Wendelstein replied much more amiable than before.

27. - Top - End - #177

SwashbucklerGuy

Nilvalor

"Thank you," Nilvalor says, wondering just how honest to be. As Wendelstein describes the need to make plans, Nilvalor responds. "I can certainly be a tool for all manner of things," he says, seemingly without a trace of irony. "I'm adept at persuading others if Gond should ever be distracted while you try to negotiate," Nilvalor says, feeling unsure if his talents in that arena were actually useful. "I've a few spells that grant me the ability to disguise myself or to make myself or others entirely invisible, as you've seen. Even without that, I'm fairly quiet and capable of passing right under people's noses in certain circumstances." Nilvalor trails off, wondering to himself whether these are really the talents he should be espousing.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

"So you are a spy. Excellent. Do you think you could replace this Atin for a time? We might learn something more about the people behind this conspiracy."
    Wendelstein continued.

29. - Top - End - #179

SwashbucklerGuy

Nilvalor

I can certainly try," Nilvalor says frowning at the description used by the other man, but neglecting to correct him. "Though it would certainly help to hear his voice for a minute to try to match it. I can change skins easily enough, but I will need his clothing and a bit of practice to try to mimic his voice."
    Last edited by Riggdgames; 2020-06-20 at 08:37 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

"No worries, we will make him talk soon enough..."
    Wendelstein grinned again. It almost seemed as if was looking forward to confront this bully.