Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1203 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Syncrogti View Post
    OK so I recall a conversation about whether the Gate would really be hidden behind a door at all. Where did that discussion lead?.
    Haley hung a lampshade on the idea back in comic 1198.

The characters have been wrong before, of course. But I canít think of any cases in the comic where a main character has provided some exposition on a plot point only to discover later later that they were wrong.

Elan... maybe. Haley... never.
    Last edited by Dion; 2020-06-08 at 03:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    See, you're taking "she was talking about an assembled primate skeleton" for granted.
    Okay, so I'll start by asserting that asserting that Tsuiko should be able to easily tell if it was or wasn't a properly assembled primate skeleton.

I'll dismiss a non-humanoid primate as unlikely.

For an improperly assembled skeleton I'll require a specific 3.5e example. It wouldn't be remotely the weirdest monster, but I think undead putting the undead back together wrong requires five specialty bards..

As to being the properly assembled skeleton of a non-primate, and that she was fine with that, well you got me there. For getting someone on the internet to admit being wrong you hereby win 42 Internets.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I can underthink just as hard as you can overthink!
    Is underthink the philosophy of drow?

3. - Top - End - #333
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    I'll dismiss a non-humanoid primate as unlikely.
    Unfortunately, the type categories make a mess of things here....offhand I can think of aberrations, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, and outsiders that are extremely human-shaped but not actually Humanoid (and call for different subcategories of Knowledge). I don't know if those would/should count as primates....

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    As to being the properly assembled skeleton of a non-primate, and that she was fine with that, well you got me there.
    Admittedly this might stem from my first thought the first time I read "crypt-thing" being Warcraft III's crypt fiends; but the specific use of "crypt-thing" seems strange if she was talking about something as presumably common as a human(oid) corpse's skeleton.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

4. - Top - End - #334
    Dwarf in the Playground

Unfortunately, the type categories make a mess of things here....offhand I can think of aberrations, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, and outsiders that are extremely human-shaped but not actually Humanoid (and call for different subcategories of Knowledge). I don't know if those would/should count as primates....
    I was going to make a joke about "ape-descended life forms", but on checking the W'pedia article on primates, I see that it covers a lot more territory than that -- lemurs, tarsiers, and such. Many are not remotely human-shaped.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Dwarf in the Playground

3.5 apes are listed as animals, and I can't think of a single example of a humanoid or monstrous humanoid that isn't sapient, so I'm going to say all humanoids are sapient.

As for the other human shaped things, I think most of them are human enough shaped that one should be able to tell the sex from the skeleton as with humans. For example Cecilia's hips are proportionately larger than every male's.

As for the definition of primate I'd say internal skeleton, upright, two legs, two arms (not wings). For a more technical definition I'd also insist on mammalian traits (mammaries, hair, womb), but those things are nigh impossible to determine from a skeleton of an unidentifiable skeleton.
    Last edited by Quizatzhaderac; 2020-06-11 at 03:46 PM.