Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301

Default Re: OOTS #1203 - The Discussion Thread

That's more about endurance, not speed.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    Safe for the baby, but I am not sure how comfortable that is for the mother.

While your point is mostly true, the bigger factor is the engineering compromise between being an upright walker who has to carry the weight of bladder and intestines and baby, and having a space big enough for a baby with an enormous head to pass through.

Quadruped females generally have a much easier time giving birth, in comparison.

Male human hips can be optimized for running and walking. It is one of the reasons that men are faster runners. (But, weirdly enough, women do just as well as ultra-marathoners.)
    That compromise is why humans are born ridiculously prematurely compared to other animals. Seriously a foal can walk the day it is born, it take us years to do so. Being born unfinished is also part of why human children are much more subject to external influences than adult.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Isn't Redcloak supposed to have a very high Wis making him very perspective? Yet he is unable to differentiate the skeletons even though they'd have varying heights and cranial features*. Because as Peelee pointed out this is a stick webcomic. Which also explains why Tsukiko can't tell the difference between a male and female skeleton.
    This is a bit subjective, but I'd consider being able to tell the difference between male and female skeletons a Knowledge (anatomy) check, or maaaaaybe a Heal check if I'm feeling generous (perhaps having 5 ranks in Heal would give a synergy bonus to the Knowledge check or something). Identifying the sex of a skeleton, especially one from a different species, seems like it would have more to do with Intelligence than Wisdom. Redcloak is smart, of course, but identifying the sex of a skeleton is an applied skill, not a wholly intuitive one, so I'm not sure his raw intelligence would be enough. Even Tsukiko might not know the difference if she'd simply never bothered to learn - which would certainly be very odd, but I suppose it wouldn't be the first time she was willfully blind to certain features of the undead.

He's not, the BBC just needed his skull for Doctor Who for a bit.
    Thank you for referencing my favorite episode. My favorite episode of what? Of anything, really.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    This is a bit subjective, but I'd consider being able to tell the difference between male and female skeletons a Knowledge (anatomy) check, or maaaaaybe a Heal check if I'm feeling generous (perhaps having 5 ranks in Heal would give a synergy bonus to the Knowledge check or something). Identifying the sex of a skeleton, especially one from a different species, seems like it would have more to do with Intelligence than Wisdom. Redcloak is smart, of course, but identifying the sex of a skeleton is an applied skill, not a wholly intuitive one, so I'm not sure his raw intelligence would be enough.
    I never said Redcloak could tell the skeletons’ sexes at a glance just that he could be expected not to have to rely on pendants to tell them apart because, were this not a stick comic, the skeletons wouldn’t be identical.
    Even Tsukiko might not know the difference if she'd simply never bothered to learn - which would certainly be very odd, but I suppose it wouldn't be the first time she was willfully blind to certain features of the undead.
    I personally find it funnier to imagine that she feels the need to hide her bisexuality but is completely open about being a corpse******.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Bugbear in the Playground

Isn't animating skeletons where every necromancers start?
    Xykon started with
    Spoiler: Spoiler for _Start of Darkness_
    Show
    his dead pet dog "Barky".

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Nope, she said "It's hard to tell when they're just a skeleton" which considering how long she spends in the company of the living dead sounds like a lie.
    Well, her usual "children" are more fleshy types like wights...

Actually, what skill would be relevant? Heal?
    Probably the Knowledge category corresponding to the creature's original type; that would cover knowledge of how/if sexual dimorphism applies to a particular kind of creature in a way that can be determined from their skeletal structure, and a skeleton would retain the original creature's skeletal structure.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Probably the Knowledge category corresponding to the creature's original type; that would cover knowledge of how/if sexual dimorphism applies to a particular kind of creature in a way that can be determined from their skeletal structure, and a skeleton would retain the original creature's skeletal structure.
    So... Knowledge(local) then, since that covers humanoids.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Profession: Forensics Analyst
    Profession: Physician
    Knowledge: Anatomy (Human, Demi-human, Humanoid)

This isn't the farthest digression from the comic I've seen, but it's in the top ten. (One could argue that it has to do with Belkar's tracking skill...)
    Last edited by brian 333; 2020-06-05 at 10:09 PM.

9. - Top - End - #309

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post

This isn't the farthest digression from the comic I've seen, but it's in the top ten. (One could argue that it has to do with Belkar's tracking skill...)
    Oh come on, there were probably at least ten more off topic digressions in the past year.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

10. - Top - End - #310

Quote Originally Posted by brian 333 View Post
    Why not Knowledge: Nature?

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Nope, she said "It's hard to tell when they're just a skeleton" which considering how long she spends in the company of the living dead sounds like a lie.
    Well, her usual "children" are more fleshy types like wights...

Actually, what skill would be relevant? Heal?
    So... Knowledge(local) then, since that covers humanoids.
    If the "crypt-thing" in question was originally a humanoid, yes. That probably shouldn't be taken for granted, though.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

If the "crypt-thing" in question was originally a humanoid, yes. That probably shouldn't be taken for granted, though.
    Hmm, true. Even with a reasonably high Int, though, between the requirements of Mystic Theurge and common investments like Spellcraft and Concentration, I suppose she might not have put (sufficient) ranks into the relevant Knowledge skill regardless.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #313

HalflingRogueGuy

Oh come on, there were probably at least ten more off topic digressions in the past year.
    I dont know. This one seems unusual because it’s still about the comic and not about Star Wars.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I dont know. This one seems unusual because it’s still about the comic and not about Star Wars.
    Imean, if you map Roy, Haley, Elan, Durkon, V, and Belkar to Han, Luke, Chewbacca, Kenobi, C-3PO, and R2-D2; and Redcloak and Xykon to Tarquin and Vader; and the canyon to the Death Star, then it's more or less recreating the first movie.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

15. - Top - End - #315

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    It may be more unusual than normal but its not farther away than Star Wars (which its been so long since we discussed, next comic I'll probably bring us over to it).
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

16. - Top - End - #316
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The characters being stick figures isn't just a out of universe way of portraying them, it's literally how they see themselves in universe too. Probably a part of why Nale's extremely makeshift switcheroo worked, since just glueing facial hair on someone would be extremely noticeable.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Imean, if you map Roy, Haley, Elan, Durkon, V, and Belkar to Han, Luke, Chewbacca, Kenobi, C-3PO, and R2-D2; and Redcloak and Xykon to Tarquin and Vader; and the canyon to the Death Star, then it's more or less recreating the first movie.
    So Does this make the MITD either Jabba the Hut, or the trash compactor creature?

18. - Top - End - #318

Quote Originally Posted by Syncrogti View Post
    So Does this make the MITD either Jabba the Hut, or the trash compactor creature?
    Jar Jar Binks.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Syncrogti View Post
    Probably one of the Jawas, if facial features are any indication.

20. - Top - End - #320

There is a distinct lack of UTINIIIII!!!!

21. - Top - End - #321
    Barbarian in the Playground

... were this not a stick comic, the skeletons wouldn’t be identical.
    Well, pretty much every fictional depiction has identical skeletons. It looks like medieval artists tended to draw skeletons in variety. The modern exceptions all tend to be cutesy and/ or ironic.

It's pretty easy to identify an assembled primate skeleton from anything else. I won't say it is or isn't easy to tell between a human versus other great apes, but I strongly doubt undead apes are near as likely as undead sapient humanoids.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

While he dismisses the MITD's question about getting the decoys to look like Xykon, he had to have made SOME effort to find bodies that would match Xykon on at least broad categories like height and build. It's possible that they're similar enough that he can't tell QUICKLY, which is an important factor in the heat of battle.

As for Tsukiko, it could be as simple as the creature was wearing a funeral shroud or something and Tsukiko realized her error when they disrobed. (It's "hard to tell" because skeletal undead lack cues like facial hair). So it's a much more understandable mistake if Tsukiko could only see the crypt keepers face at first.

Overthinking one off gags is fun!

23. - Top - End - #323

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    While he dismisses the MITD's question about getting the decoys to look like Xykon, he had to have made SOME effort to find bodies that would match Xykon on at least broad categories like height and build. It's
    Height: Medium
    Build: Calcium

I can underthink just as hard as you can overthink!

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Jar Jar Binks.
    *Thweeeeeeeeeet!*

Referee voice:

*That's Binksing; a two minute minor. Into the penalty box you must go*
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

25. - Top - End - #325

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    *Thweeeeeeeeeet!*

Referee voice:

*That's Binksing; a two minute minor. Into the penalty box you must go*
    Exsqueeeeeze me, wesa warriors! Wesa got a grand army. That's why you no likin' us, mesa thinks.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Exsqueeeeeze me, wesa warriors! Wesa got a grand army. That's why you no likin' us, mesa thinks.
    At this point, the little league ump looks over at your parents and says "Take him home, he's been ejected from the game." (What makes it reallly hurt is that you're the coach).
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-06-08 at 12:40 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quizatzhaderac View Post
    It's pretty easy to identify an assembled primate skeleton from anything else.
    See, you're taking "she was talking about an assembled primate skeleton" for granted.

That's why you no likin' us, mesa thinks.
    That's where we're plateauing? Sounds like a pain in the butte....

28. - Top - End - #328

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    At this point, the little league ump looks over at your parents and says "Take him home, he's been ejected from the game." (What makes it reallly hurt is that you're the coach).
    dad [throwing beer can at umpire’s head] No! You’re the dooku!

Also, the medallions might have been to tell the three new skeletons apart from each other, not to distinguish them from Xykon.

[overthinking is fun!]
    Last edited by Dion; 2020-06-08 at 12:49 PM.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

OK so I recall a conversation about whether the Gate would really be hidden behind a door at all. Where did that discussion lead?

It does seem likely, (given I know nothing about the person who created it), to make the doors a diversion and the Gate somewhere else.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Kraggor believed in strength and toughness. Logically, then, the true test is to defeat all of the monsters in Monster Hollow before the gate will appear.