New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Withstanding the Crimson Host

One of the kids speaks up "thu lad-dy with thu walking bones wen-nt down tha way with some people and thu big crab," he spits, pointing down the south road.

There is no movement from the coffins, even at Geth's swipe.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    No check is required to open a coffin

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

Llane

With that... colorful description, Llane suddenly becomes worried the rest of the group has done something. He takes a moment to think. "You should go on," before turning towards the other druid. "You need to be alone or want someone to talk to?"
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll guard the bridge, if it's all the same to you," Aswanth informs you. His summoned lion's face back at the bridge, appearing as if they're about to pounce at anything that emerges.

The room is deathly silent, the air hanging heavy as everyone readies to avoid an attack from the coffins. Slowly and painfully, the lid of the coffin Geth had swiped at slides off, having been unbalanced by the tiger's massive paw. As it opens, you can see one of the two vampires, motionless, inside. It does not react to the coffin opening, and does not appear to be moving in the slightest.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

"I see no use for them," Neth said. "You're free to destroy those ones."
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin starts off to the south where the village boy told them the rest of the party went,

"Thank you for watching the bridge. I need to find our party so we can destroy this bridge. Hopefully I'm back soon. If the riders try to cross the bridge, hold them off and send some villagers to find us." He yells for the boy, holding out a gold piece, "Could you stay here with Mr. Nirushan, and if he sees anyone try to cross the bridge and sends you for us, come find us." If the boy agrees, Calin gives him the gold coin."

He then turns to Llane, "Would you rather stay here with Aswanth or come with me to look for our friends? "
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-06-30 at 05:36 AM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Salos stands by the coffin, ready to raise his blade. When the lid comes off, he immediately says a short prayer. When he understands the creature is somewhat paralyzed, he lets his guard down again.

After Neth's statement he looks at Laith. Is there a proper way of doing it? Do you need anything?

7. - Top - End - #247
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin
    AC: 21 HP: 64/76
    PP: 10 PIv: 8 PIs: 10
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Convinced that the vampires are not going to suddenly burst out of their coffins and lay waste to the party, Laith takes a moment to breathe. Pulling his waterskin from his pack, he drinks deep before offering the skin to Salos. "Water?" he asks simply, giving the half-elf a chance to drink his fill before dumping the rest out into a puddle on the floor. Laith then grabs the flask from his pouch and uncorks it with his teeth, spitting it onto the floor.

"No way is proper, but simple...simple is a good way," Laith says, carefully pouring half the flask into his waterskin and handing it to Salos. "Always good to travel with His water. Brother Rajak...he says the water blessing is life to life and death to death," Laith says methodically, reciting something he'd heard Rajak intone countless times. He glances up at Neth for a moment before turning his attention to Zaddion and Geth.

"Best to be ready in case they have more fight still."

With that, he nods over at Salos and motions for him to take up a spot next to the other coffin. "One, two, three" Laith says, dumping the rest of the flask out on the vampire's face.

Show

I'm not sure Laith's smart enough to know about putting a stake through the thing's heart, but he's got holy water and he knows how to use it so...here goes. If these are two healthy vampires, you can kick Laith later. I'm rolling an attack just in case it's ruled necessary.

Holy water attack: (1d20+3)[5]
    w/ advantage: (1d20+3)[18]
    Damage: (1d6)[2] x2 for crit if ruled as an attack

8. - Top - End - #248

ElfWarriorGuy

"'No resting until the battle is over', is what I learned. But I'll have some."

Salos drinks the water and instantly finds out he was terribly thirsty, taking a larger sip than he first intended. "Thanks" he says while catching his breath.

Then he takes his position by the coffin, holding his sword up in the air, ready to bring it down to the vampire if things go sideways. The water was good. The temple was unsettling, as if the walls were closing in, so the refreshment felt great.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I'm readying an Attack action triggered if the vampire awakes. Rolling it just in case.

(1d20+6)[23]
    (1d10+3)[10]

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion simply created another Bonfire where the Vampire rested. "No need for something so fancy, when fire alone will do."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Assuming no one is standing in the same space, I"m casting Bonfire on the Vampire in the coffin.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Neth had Mavis lower a torch onto the bonfire while her skeletons raised the other coffin lid. Mavis tossed it in, and then the skeletons sealed the lid again.
    "For once, I am in complete agreement with the cheery one."
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

"Wow Mis-ter, I never holded one uh these before!" The kid doesn't seem to have a lot of experience with money, and is very excited. "Okay, if I see some thing scary I'll go to you."

The two of you notice a few of the older villagers giving concerned looks at how close the old druid is to the children.

As the holy water hits it the vampire, the necrotic energy holding it together breaks apart, causing its remains to limply roll over. The bonfire starts to burn the corpse, sending up a particularly nasty smell. The torch lands on the other vampire, leaving a minor burn as it rolls off, although it doesn't appear to kill it.

As the party relaxes, you notice more details in the room. There's a few humanoid spaces that are visibly cleaner; apparently where the zombies had been lying before you disturbed them. What appears to the remains of another tapestry sits on the floor of the door opposite the room's entrance, too decayed for anyone to tell what was depicted. A section of wall on each side of the entrance bears an unlit candelabra, although there don't appear to be any other native light sources.

The door to the left of the hallway you entered from appears to lead directly below the the main entrance to the temple. The door opposite leads somewhere below the section of the temple you hadn't explored, and is similarly short. The third door is straight ahead from the hallway you had entered, and is eight feet tall. It appears to have been reinforced with iron, based on the chunks of rust on the floor.

12. - Top - End - #252

ElfWarriorGuy

"Time is not on our side, so I'll cut short." Salos finally relaxes and rests his sword on the ground, not wearing a sheath belt. "I was... delayed. But I rode day and night to be here in Averdon's aid. I greet you and give you my name: I'm Rai Salos."

The half-elf removes his helmet while catching his breath, revealing rather human facial traits."Am I right to assume that we are recruiting corpses to resist siege?" He sounds dutifuly concerned with the matter at hand.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Firbolg in the Playground

Llane

For a moment Llane remembers that his home circle's attachment to civlization was something... not quite shared in other orders. It doesn't look like Aswanth has attempted to reach out at all. Still, reasons are what they are.

"I believe that's a clear 'wants to be alone'." Llane comments to Calin before he begins walking towards where the horses should be.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Hmm...which way shall we take? Or should we return to the surface and reconnect with the rest of our allies?"

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

"You want to leave the second vampire alive?" Neth asked Zaddion. "I suppose we could perhaps attempt to... no, I don't see much gain from that. I say the way we came, so I can pick up my skeletons. Speaking of:" She addressed her undead, pointing to the backpack that Mavis had. "Take the sacks out of that backback and fill them with bones."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

As the party deliberates the part of the M squad in that made it past the door proceeds to dump the remains of the four skeletons in the hallway into Neth's sacks.

17. - Top - End - #257

HalfOrcPirate

Geth huffs and makes his way back towards the exit

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion released the hold on the polymorph spell. "So tell me Geth, how was being a tiger?"

19. - Top - End - #259

HalfOrcPirate

Geth & Brine
    Kobold Ranger & Giant Crab
    AC: 18 & 18 HP: 38/56 (68) & 43/43
    PP: 16 & 12 PIv: 10 & 5

Geth sniffs a few times, looking at his arms and legs then back at a Zaddion. ”Being bigger and stronger was cool, but everything smelled weird. We need to finish off that Vampire before we go anywhere, it’ll be back otherwise.”

20. - Top - End - #260

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin

Uneasy about leaving a vampire behind them that could potentially rise to fight another day, even if they were going to return quickly, Laith says, "go on, we will follow."

Turning to Salos, Laith holds out his arm and grasps the half-elf's, "welcome. I'm Laith Khouri. Good having you. Very good having you with knowing how to use a real weapon," Laith says, stumbling in search of the right words, but earnest in his meaning nonetheless. "Yes, the woman, she can make the bones rattle and walk again. We do what we must for defending the people's at Arvedon and past it, even if it makes for using the abominations. Help me with this one?" Laith asks, motioning towards the singed, but still living vampire. Pulling his axe free, Laith buries it in the vampire's skull until he's sure that he and Rai Salos have put an end to it.

Clapping a hand on the half-elf's shoulder, Laith gestures back towards where the others went and follows them. Once they've caught up, Laith says, "I am sorrying Geth. My god and myself will help your hurts." Laying a hand on Geth's cut and bruised arm, Laith eyes glow a shade brighter.

"Zaddion, are you hurting?"

Show

On Geth:
    Aasimar version of lay on hands first: 8/8 hp
    Paladin Lay on Hands: 10/40 hp (30 remaining today)

21. - Top - End - #261

HalfOrcPirate

Geth & Brine
    AC: 18 & 18 HP: 56/56 (68) & 43/43

Geth smiles kindly up at Llaith, ”Thank you kind Paladin, that feels much better. I still feel drained, but I’m sure I’ll be better once I sleep it off.” then awkwardly hugs his leg. He steps back again and pets Brine, stopping him from picking at the remains of a zombie.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

"Do you think I could get some more bows an arrows before we leave town?" Neth asked.
    "I wasn't expecting this place to be so fruitful."

Show
    How many skeletons worth of bones can I get?
    Show

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"I'm glad you enjoyed the transformation Geth. Sadly I couldn't turn you into any larger forms in that tight space. Should we fight on an open field however I have many more options." Zaddion smiled, then he nodded towards the Half-Elf. "Greetings." Once the Paladin had buried the axe in it's head he motioned for them to back out of the room. "If you'd exit the room, I can loose a fireball and ensure nothing within remains...unalive."

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Geth easily dispatches the vampire, although it rolls over as the necrotic energy holding it together dissipates.

Show
    There's 4 piles of bones and I'll rule two the corpses are intact enough for Neth's purposes. The vampire's remains are too tainted, and although Neth could try raising them there's a high chance lingering power in their remains will prevent her from controlling the resulting zombies.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

Once the sacks were returned to her, Neth had the skeletons hoist up two corpses.
    "I'll be going back the way we came. Anyone who wishes to accompany me is welcome company."
    Neth smiled in what very well might have been kindness as she led her undead back toward her Turned children.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin

"You have welcome, Geth," Laith says, his face breaking into a broad grin as the Kobold hugs his leg. "Come, let us following back down and clean that place."

Buckling his shield back on, Laith turns to Zaddion. "You can make the fireball then? I saw the burnings you made, but I have not seen a mage make the fireball for some time. Rajak always said, fire burns away the corruption and makes the unclean clean."

Finally hoisting his axe and breathing a sigh, Laith's grin is still intact as he approaches Neth and her spawn, his heart still warm from the actions of the living. "I will go. My god and my shield stand with you as long as you and yours are making stand between goblins and the pass." Stepping in front, Laith leads the way back down into the chamber where the vampires lay eternally at rest and turns to the others.

"Which?" he asks, brows furrowed in confusion as he tries to examine whether any of the doors is special, his eyes settling on the door straight ahead that appears reinforced.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

It appears something attempted to bash in the boor from the other side. The door warps out, once on the top third and once in the middle, as if there was a metal bar that stopped whoever or whatever did this at the time, but which no sign of remains today. The bottom third is bent very slightly, and a wooden barricade blocks off the door, about a third of the way from the ground.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

"The way we came," Neth repeated, and motioned for her undead to follow her. "Don't worry, Rai. I'm leaving the city with my undead now." With a wave, she and the M squad were off, walking back the way they'd come to reunite with the others.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"'Make the fireball' my dear sir, it is one of my favorite spells." Zaddion raised his hand to cast the spell when he had a slight change of mind. "Although...those Vampires already crumbled to dust." The Sorcerer bit his lip, eager as always to show off his magical might but that seemed a waste of arcane power to loose one of his strongest, and more limited, spells upon a dead room.

This deliberation caused him to shut an eye and bite his lip in frustration as prudence beat back his ego. "Hhhhhnnnnghhh! Damn it all I can't waste a spell like that here. I'll still cleanse the room but no need to waste such power." Zaddion instead wove a few more bonfires in the room while his allies deliberated behind him ensuring he scorched the remains and the floor till it was blackened.

"Anything appear interesting? If Vampires did make this hovel their home perhaps they had some useful items of magical potency. Or supplies we can 'commandeer' for the people in the village?" Zaddion brushed some soot from his silver casting claws and stepped behind the Paladin. "As long as their not...you know...vampire oriented tools."

30. - Top - End - #270

HalfOrcPirate

Geth & Brine
    AC: 18 & 18 HP: 56/56 (68) & 43/43

”We should check with our other group members, what if these vampires weren’t the worst thing here? I can’t take a lot more beating, well unless I get turned into some sort of beast again.” He smiles at Zaddion mischievously, then heads towards the exit.