New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Withstanding the Crimson Host

Llane

Something kind of dark flashes in the back of Llane's mind. The dark one in draconic could mean a very specific dragon, but even something else is cause to be concerned. However, there still may be room to talk, if he doesn't do anything particularly violent.

"Believe what you will. I come seeking alliance for the war that comes. I will return with the peace askers. We will be prepared for your aggression."
    With that Llane transforms back into an eagle and attempts to get some distance away from thrown weapons.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Neth went with another method, speaking in Draconic. "If this Brakker threatens you, we can break its hold over you."
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

A moon druid can dash on the same turn they wild shape, and Llane is gone even as they first start throwing bolas. As he starts climbing the updrafts he can see the lizardfolk who attacked being led into the largest tent. They no longer carry their weapons.

One of the lizardfolk holds back at Zaddion's urging. The other two seem afraid to close with the party despite continuing, and seeing Laith put down a weapon calms them down. Not enough to put down their equipment, but enough to start a dialogue.

The apparent leader asks, "sjek wux tir ti lowd, hak nomag yth renthisj?" The three back up to the remains of the fire. She then continues, "brakker tepohaic thric jilg, yth tepoha osvitha jacion. ti shio tepoha coanwor zyak vrinpict."

Spoiler: Translation
    Show
    "If you do not attack, then may we speak?"

"Brakker has no hold, we have fled him. Not all have been so lucky."

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"They want to talk, peacefully. They said they fled Brakker but other's weren't so lucky." Zaddion stepped forward and took a breath. "axun yth confna ekess renthisj, yth tir ti faestir nomeno brakker vur ornla qe willing ekess letoclo wux sjek wux tiliw kikrem svaust usv svabol coi ui. yth confna de wer munthrek settlement nearby, vi pretur di ghiki vur lyrik races ui heading nomeno idol. yth re xoalir ekess dryic latali ekess withstand wer confnir kepesk." The sorcerer has his hands rasied and open at middle height showing he was unarmed.

Spoiler: translate
    Show

"Yes we came to speak, we do not serve this Brakker and would be willing to help you if you could explain who or what it is. We came from the human settlement nearby, a horde of Orcs and other races is heading this way. We are trying to gather allies to withstand the coming storm. "

Last edited by Seanfall; 2020-09-14 at 10:04 PM.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

I assume Llane is flying back to the boats?

The three deliberate for a moment by the remains of the fire. The party can make out some exclamations. One shouts, "shar throdenilt slathalinir," before the leader emphasizes "rimemiv maardo tuoric." Slowly they appear to reach a verdict as the third lists off, "desta loupon jaka, eschoupilt ekess itrewic achthend," and some more things no one can catch.

The leader turns to you. "yth geou tor hesi maekrix. petranas, zexenuma tenpiswo ihk jaka." "Stay," she adds in common, looking at Calin and Laith. Unless someone interrupts, she and the smallest one each disappear into different paths from the area. The remaining lizardfolk reaches into their pack, and pulls out a flint and steel before turning to the fire. His spear is sticking in easy reach from the mud, his shield is still strapped to his arm, and he is turned to be facing the party directly.

Show
    Deliberations: "but more fighting-- chieftess maardo wants," and "better than now, easier to get food," at the end.

"we will ask our leader. please, stay here for now."

6. - Top - End - #456
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"They are open to speaking, and their going to get their leader." Zaddion took a breath and calmed himself.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin waits as instructed, grateful that others can speak a common language with these creatures.

Spoiler: OOC Question
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    I assume Llane is flying back to the boats?
    How far away from us and from the river were the lizardfolk that Llane encountered?

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

"Wonderful," Neth said. "And which were after this? The orcs?"
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

9. - Top - End - #459
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin
    AC: 21 HP: 76/76
    PP: 10 PIv: 8 PIs: 10
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Laith is happy to obey and stand idle while the Lizardfolk scurry away to their leadership, clapping Zaddion on the shoulder with a smile. "Well done, friend. They seem to have taking well to your dragon-words then," Laith says, nodding pleasantly to the one remaining Lizardfolk.

"I am thinking we are planning to travel to the centaurs before the orcs, but I am not remembering exactly."

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

Upon being asked the villagers of Channel Run inform Llane of where the party has gone, and finding them is not a particular issue. However, while the campfire is easy to spot, the paths leading from it are virtually invisible from the air, save a few portions where the party has pushed through on their one path. The fire quickly becomes nice and warm, and the lizardfolk vanishes for a moment before returning with a few fish and crabs, which are set up to finish baking on the edge of the heat.

11. - Top - End - #461

Llane

Since things aren't going to be so easy finding things from the air, Llane eventually drops down to the ground and legs it the remaining distance to the party. There shouldn't be much danger of attack from the lizardman camp anyway. They seemed reluctant to begin with, but something will have to be done.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

When Llane arrives at the camp, the remaining lizardfolk stands up, eying him and the party slowly. "ir di latali?" When the party indicated Llane is with them, it sits back down, and offers him the food.

About 10 minutes after Llane arrives, a large procession of lizardfolk arrives, with members slipping in from all entrances to the space. There are about 17 members present. By the posture, the leader is a heavily pierced female. The two who the party members met before stand beside her, but otherwise seven members guarding her, and three more on their flanks. Only the two nearest the leader carry bronze spears; the rest are fire hardened wood. "axun wer iri svaust yenta astahii ornla majak aso," the one who led before tells the leader.

The leader speaks slowly, in poor common, by firmly and clearly: "I am Maardo, chief tess of the tribe. These two have told me you come with peace. We are broken up, and my rival hunts soft skins on sight. Our group has nothing to trade. Leave, before you are found and hunted."

Looking across the group, they wear little, carry little, and many appear to be recovering from recent wounds, some not healed properly. Three are regrowing tails, and two have a discolored eye.

Show
    One of your allies?

When the chieftess arrives: "Yes, the ones who say they would give aid"

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

"If that is your wish," Neth agreed. "But I should let you know that an army of our foes will be marching through here shortly. And they will not respect your wishes. You say you fight for this land with another group - we could help you secure it for yourself if you helped us to ward off our enemy and yours."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

After hearing of the split in the tribe, and putting that together with the rumors he had heard of a powerful and possibly demonic upstart, he wonders if there might be a way for us to help.

"Chieftess, if we help you defeat your rival, would their followers join you?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

15. - Top - End - #465
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion waited paitently by the fire then hopped back onto his feet once the group arrived. He straightened out his outfit and waited for the elder to finish speaking before replying. "My Compaions speak truth and ask a wise question. This foe that comes will not discriminate between smooth skin or scales. Once they conquor the human settlement they will spread out and secure their new lands. If this other leader is as dangerous as you say...then I agree with them that removing him from power is the best course of action."

The sorcerer looks over the wounded and weary lizard folk. "Even if we stood to gain nothing...I would still offer my aid. No leader who truly cares for their people would do this...it angers me to see them treated in such a way."

16. - Top - End - #466
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin
    AC: 21 HP: 76/76
    PP: 10 PIv: 8 PIs: 10
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Looking over Chieftess Maardo and her people, Laith's shoulders sag despite his best efforts to appear unfazed. The tribe's strength appears to have been weakened significantly of late, and without help they could not hope to defend themselves, much less aid in securing the pass at Arvedon. The choice was simple. They could cut their losses and move quickly to try to find other allies who were stronger and enlist their aid or they could--.

"If I am having your blessing, Chieftess, let me do what I can for your people. I have the healing and I can be helping your tribe. We can both be made stronger." Laith throws his shield over his back, approaching slowly with palms raised and empty of weapons. "Zaddion," he says over his shoulder, "can you be making it plain for them? I am just trying to help." He moves to the Lizardfolk nearest Maardo who is injured or ill and, provided they are accepting of it, lays a hand on them to channel Torm's blessing.

Show

Mechanically, Lay on Hands to the five Lizardfolk you mentioned specifically to heal the three regrowing their tails and try to cure the two with discolored eyes. Willing to spend all 40 points if necessary. Saving the 8 points of Healing Hands (Aasimar). Not spending any spell slots.

Aiding a Persuasion check if necessary, but also just hoping to change the tone of negotiation.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion nods at the Paladin, "sia kiabil ui offering ekess irisv lae throden lae jaci shilta. jacida powers re limited shar jaci shilta letoclo wer throdenilti injured ias wux sjek wux geou shala jacion."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

"My companion is offering to heal as many as he can. His powers are limited but he can help the most injured among you if you will allow him. "

18. - Top - End - #468

Llane

With the others handling assurances and pleasantries, Llane himself gets straight to the point, in draconic "Who, or what is The Dark One, and what danger does it pose to those hesitant to do its bidding?"

There aren't a lot of good possibilities in the druid's mind. It could be part of the tribe has been negotiated to the side of the oncoming army, it could be the mother, or worst of all something else.
    Last edited by MCerberus; 2020-09-27 at 07:19 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

Maardo eyes Neth slowly, her frill raising slowly, and a mean glint in her eye. "I can not risk leaving my land behind to lose who stays living with me." Zaddion's context seems to calm her slightly; "I am in, how you call, an all lose situation? Many loyal to me serve as fodder for Brakker, unable to run. Guarding them takes his forces, and is the reason I breath. I would send to protect if not."

She then continues to Calin, "No. Not his follow ers."

Upon Laith's approach, she mentions to her own, "jaci confnic ekess irisv," and the lizardfolk relax a bit. The eyes do not clear up instantly, but Laith is able to treat the underlying illness. He is able to treat and sew up 35 HP worth of wounds, but the tails would require greater magic. Apparently the lizardfolk are able to read relief or something similar in their tribespeople, and many of them relax. One even attempts a clear attempt to smile and says "thank you," albeit in a very strong accent.

This lasts until Llane's mention of the dark one. Everyone tenses back up at that, and the two lizardfolk nearest the chieftess actually level their spears in response. "Brakker has left Semuanya and Essylliss. He bleeds out his enemies for his beast prince. It has given him horns and power," Maardo half hisses. Still eyeing Llane, she motions for her side to put back their weapons.

Show
    "he comes to heal"

20. - Top - End - #470
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion cupped his chin, "Horns and power..." He turned to his companions. "This Beast Prince presents a problem, but...it's being spoken of separately form their gods." The sorcerer, cocked his head. "Now I'm wishing I'd actually studied theology."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

So out of character I think I know what's being referred to. But IC'ly I have no reason to know this.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

"So, to confirm: You will not be joining us even if we kill this Brakker?" Osterneth asked, feeling a bit like she was being ignored.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #472

Llane

Whatever Laith has promised it sounds like a good idea to see to the tribe, especially if they want their health. However, the druid's eyes narrow at the lizardfolk's representative's response. What it could mean is bad, bad bad. "Sacrifices and bloodletting. It sounds like someone was dumb enough and now is threatening the veil."
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ogre in the Playground

Maardo turns back to Neth. "I have made no claim like this. I have no reason to not send aid if my tribe would be safe."

24. - Top - End - #474
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Ah yes the veil, the veil for the mortal realm, the veil created especially for this realm, our veil." Zaddion crossed his arms, while in his mind a tiny Zaddion frantically flipped through what little fundamental magical knowledge he possessed to figure out what the hell the veil was. Eventually the smaller Zaddion looked up and shrugged. The real Zaddion started to sweat.

25. - Top - End - #475

Llane

A small eye roll comes from Llane before he continues, "We already have beasts leaking from the fey, we don't know what's going on here. It could even be connected." He turns towards the delegation.

"I'm sorry, but how long has any mention of the dark one been happening?"
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

Maardo makes a clear, but very fake looking shrug. "Brakkar left for seven days, and then returned with his horns. Two days after his return, his followers attacked my tent with demons. This was five seasons ago."

She is getting a bit antsy. "Please, we need to set aside time to prepare ourselves for when Brakkar inevitably finds us. I thank you for your aid, healer. Please go. "

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

Maardo adds "It isn't as if you could stroll in an defeat Brakkar anyway..." before trailing off.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Titan in the Playground

"Why is that?" Neth asked. "I think you underestimate us."
    Show

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin waits for the others to decide what they want to do. Otherwise, he'd be marching out right now to fight the demon. Well, first he needs directions.

"Chieftess Maardo, we would like to help you. Where is this Brakkar now? My friends and I would like to stand up to him for you."

Show

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

Maardo is taken aback by Neth's comment. "Brakkar has moved our tribe to our old diggin fort. He summons demons to his aid. If we cannot remove him, how could soft skins?"

She clarifies for Calin, "If you wish to die, I can send you a guide to show you the way. I just ask you break yourself on Brakker's demons and followers, not on my people still trapped."