New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Withstanding the Crimson Host

Llane

The druid decides to not be particularly social, staying by the river to look over at the corruption. His bad leg is sore, the last thing he tasted was rot, and it turns out the party may be a little... reckless. He needs to recenter his mind to reconnect to the primal tides.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Neth was feeling talkative, and stood next to Llane.
    "So. You decided to help save a civilization. I was unaware that those of your persuasion cared for such things."
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #393
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin
    AC: 21 HP: 76/76
    PP: 10 PIv: 8 PIs: 10
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Looking on the villagers in their discomfort as Neth raises the dead in front of them, Laith opens his mouth to speak, but closes it after a moment. Words fail him altogether, his mind cloudy with fatigue and uncertainty as the abominations close ranks around their master. He settles in with his steed, finding a spot close enough to his companions to be of aid, but far enough to sleep restfully.

Awaking the following morning, Laith says his prayers under the rising sun, asking Torm for His wisdom. Some mornings Laith felt the touch of god as the power to cast in His name returned, but this morning he felt nothing. Rising slowly from his knees, Laith brushed the dirt off, frowning down at his feet before glancing over at Neth and Llane, seemingly chatting by the river. Turning away from them, Laith seeks out the villagers wherever they gather in their boats for the journey south and sends a final prayer to Torm to grant them safe passage south. Aloud he wishes them safe travels, and if he finds Ashgar there, clasps the man's hand before he leaves. "Luck, Ashgar. Be safe. If you do crossing paths with Scalers after all, I'll hope you are telling them where we will stand and fight the goblins."

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

The village is happy to see Zaddion join, and they pass him some wine over the night.

As no one else joins the half mourning/half celebration, we'll skip to the next morning.

Better rested, the party can begin to prepare for the new day. Ashgar approaches the party, "Sorry, we're packing. Yall can still come along, if yall want. Should we be making space on the boats?"

The party can otherwise look for other villagers or any they met the night before.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

"I do not expect that that will be necessary," the necromancer answered. "We are going to continue recruiting for the defense of Arvedon Pass."
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin approaches some of the elders in the village. "Evening fine folks. Can any of you tell Mme the history and purpose of this sword?"

After talking to the elders, Calin discusses plans with the party. "I think we have time to talk to all of the groups. Take the boats to the swamp. Then horses to the centaurs. Then halflings and finally orcs. If we get new allies, great. If we get cut off, we can attack from the rear. What does everyone say?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Insight or Persuasion (both are +5) (1d20+5)[21]

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

"We are agreed," Osterneth said. "Though I wonder. Where did you learn to project yourself so, Calin?"
    Show

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin replies to Neth, "I was the Templar for Jagir Astahd until his defeat. I don't project myself so much as receive assistance from my ancestors and Templars who have fallen before me. As long as I stay true to my oath to defend our lands, they will continue to help me, even though I no longer hold an official position, and when I die, I will help those who carry on after me. It's no powerful magic like you can do, but they can still be very helpful. How about you? Where did you learn this magic of using the bodies of the dead? And I have to ask, are their spirits still in there when they rise?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Neth would likely know that Templar means a Templar of Time. The Templars are an order of knights that work for the kingdom as elite soldiers and commanders.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Neth lifted up her scepter. "This is my father. He trained me in the ways of magic, and... failed to become a lich. And no, I insert new souls from the Plane of Shadow, the body's original soul is left to its own devices."
    Show

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

The old woman Zaddion Showed the blade seems to have been talking to the others about the sword. "Madhav mentioned his grandpappy telling the knights who had the sword in the olden days could unleash magic blessed on them by their god." She directs you to the old man who continues, "Yes, that just like the one my father had." He seems unsure, "although we could never get any magic out of ours. Based on the stories I remember being told, the knights needed to have the swords blessed to tear straight through the risen dead, back in their old temple." He thinks for a bit. "The immortal knights? Eternal? Ethereal? I don't remember their name, but they had a chapter in the area. Vanished some time before the blight set in. Never could find out what happened to them."

11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion enjoys the night with the townsfolk, gladly sharing tales of his other adventures that may or may not have been embellished. He drinks heartily and sings and plays his lute using it's magic to craft illusions of his tales and songs.

In the morning he would wake up likely hungover and with an empty mug, and he'd be incredibly upset...that the mug was empty.

12. - Top - End - #402

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin

Hearing Calin's plan, Laith nods enthusiastically, eager to enact a plan that would allow him to see these people safely out of harms way. It may only take a day on the river to reach their destination, but after Llane and Calin's tale regarding the worg outriders, Laith had been nervous about simply wishing Ashgar and his people luck. "I am with you. The Scalers could be helping us much, and I would be staying with these people as long as we can help them and Arvedon both."

Laith doesn't wait for the conversation to drift to subjects beyond his understanding, instead seeking out Ashgar and confirming the need to make space without being able to hide his enthusiasm. "We will be joining you, friend. Torm-willing the trip will be easy, but if goblins are being there on the path, we can be helping."

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

As Zaddion is getting beck to his stuff, the old woman intercepts him, and hands him a packet. "Medicine from the corner swamp, given how much you drank," she whispers.

Ashgar is glad to see laith, esspecially given the news. "I'll be very glad to have the protection, to be honest. The old man told us some of the goblins had attacked him inside the village yesterday."

14. - Top - End - #404
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion stood up...well staggered onto his feet would be more accurate. His hands grabbed his head to stop the throbbing, only for the points of his silver claws to stab him. He winced and took a few steps, pulling his things together before the old woman offered him the bag of medicine. "My thanks Madam, I'm afraid I got caught up in the celebrating." That is to say he drank like a fish who'd been on dry land.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Neth approached the boats with her M squad. "I am delighted to travel with you," she said to Ashgar, and directed her undead to find herself and them a spot on the boats.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin keeps the silvered sword and joins the others on the boats, making sure the horses are well secured for the journey. "Thank you for letting us accompany you. Off we go."

17. - Top - End - #407

Llane

"The long game," Llane responds to the comment about a druid getting involved. "Keeping the balance means that there's the will and forces to fight, let's call them incursions. Of course I can introduce you to some circles that aren't so nice."

Later, at the boats, Llane takes a moment to take in the caravan going off into the swamp. The locals should be able to keep safe from the natural dangers. Can't be so sure about the ones with the heaviest armor, after all.

"Just checking, but how many speak Draconic? It would be good to not have to translate asking the tribes for aid."
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

18. - Top - End - #408
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

At the boats, Zaddion's ears twtich at the mention of 'Draconic'. Slowly he turns, smiling widely, "Why as it just so happens my good sir," he approaches Llane. "Not only does the Dragon's blood flowing through my noble veins grant me great magical prowess...and near perfect hair. But I can in fact also read and write in the vaunted language of the Great Wyrms."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Imagine the biggest **** eating grin you've ever seen...then make it bigger. That's what this ******* looks like right now.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

"Main draigan bol sakata hoon," Neth assured the Druid.
    I speak Draconic.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

The village assembles along the fishing vessels, and begins heading downstream. Ashgar's large boat makes up the rear, staying to the center of the water. The channel stays wide for the first few hours, eventually starting to twist and turn more and more as it approaches the swamp.

For the first half of the day, warg riders can be seen trailing the procession, silhouetted on the tops of hills. After noon, you have either left them behind or they have decided to stay out of sight. Beyond this the trip is fairly calm. Ashgar's three children are intrigued by you, but he shushes them away, particularly from Neth. His wife is happy to serve tea and butter chicken to the party -- most of the other food they brought along should keep much longer and it would be good to eat this first.

There is time for rituals to be cast or small talk to be made during this trip, as well as to go aboard other vessels to talk to other people from the village during this time. As the day progresses, however, the banks of the river go from highly sloped as they were at Channel Run to much smoother, and eventually turn to beds of reeds growing from open areas of silt near the water. The river is not particularly high (the rainy season ended about a month ago) and areas that would be flooded during the rains but now sit exposed start to extend further and further from the main path of the water.

The procession makes camp at a large lagoon off the side of the river. You are distinctly inside the swamp by now, beyond where large beasts of war or siege engines could be safely brought in. If anyone has any plans to try contacting the lizardfolk, now woulw be a good time to express them.

21. - Top - End - #411

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin

Listening to Zaddion boast and Neth respond curtly in a foreign tongue, Laith merely shakes his head in response, unable to suppress a grin at Zaddion's unrelenting smile. He did not have that tongue, nor did it sound easy to learn, but he was thankful there were some among them who could talk to the Scalers.

Along the trip, Laith warms to Ashgar's children quickly. Despite his appearance, Laith has more in common with them than one might think. Though Ashgar struggles to ensure they aren't bothering anyone nor getting too close to Neth and her ladies, as the hours slide by Ashgar's eldest and Laith engage in conversation. Though simple-minded, Laith is genuine and interested, looking to find out more about the young man. Though he is barely on the cusp of becoming a man, the boy's eagerness to help reminds Laith of himself all those years ago. If only his own father had shared Ashgar's morals, Laith's journey might have been easier.

"Ashgar, you are having blessed with a good family," Laith says to the man while they share tea after eating.

Show

Laith isn't likely to have any good ideas about how to find or stir up a conversation with the Lizardfolk, but neither do I. Hopefully someone else has something in mind

I give Ashgar one of my javelins, hoping he never has to use it to protect his family, but glad to share something well-made if I can.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

Neth looked out to the swamps, and turned to Zaddion.
    "I am certain that the lizardfolk would come running if you began burning down their home. What say you?"
    Show

23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion spent the boat trip strumming his lute and chatting with the villagers. He was just a little sore that a certain necromancer had stolen his thunder with the whole draconic thing. But he let it go, no he didn't, he put it to the side for now and focused on what they actually needed to do. So when the reeds began to appear and the river turned into swamp he sat forward and cast his eyes about the area.

At Neth's suggestion, he glared at her thoroughly unamused. "Yes and I'm sure if we massacre a Kobald nest they'd join us lickity spit." The Sorcerer looked into the water and thought. "Any other suggestions that don't involve Arson? I can't believe I just said that...Arson is usually my go to..." The man looked up from the water and sighed. "Ahh..the costs of war...I suppose we need to get off the boat to go looking?"

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

Osterneth shrugged. "To be fair... yes, they would join us if we massacred them." She nodded back to her lovely ladies.
    "Very well... Geth!"
    she said. "Can you track?"
    Show

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin helps unload the horses and secure our gear. "Thank you for transporting us down the river. I hope to see you all again after the invasion has been repelled. May you return home soon and safe."

Once off the ships, he turns to the others, "Anyone know how to track lizardfolk in a swamp? Otherwise, I say we spend a day looking and generally moving a little south. If we don't find them by tomorrow morning, we need to move on to the centaurs. We can't spend the whole war in this swamp."

26. - Top - End - #416

Llane

During the journey Llane does the usual of keeping his distance, not much for starting a conversation. When the subject of how to make contact comes, up Llane gives it a moment of thought.

"I can see better from the sky, but I am not a tracker if I find signs and not a full camp."
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

Everyone has the chance to get searching:

• Perception (Wisdom) to wander the swamp. Advantage if from the air.
    • Persuasion (Charisma) with disadvantage to ask the villagers for more specifics.
    • Intimidation or Persuasion (Charisma) to get a small boat and take it further into the swamp.
    • Nature (Intelligence) to look at the area for anything that has been harvested.
    • Performance (Charisma) to raise a ruckus and try to draw out the lizardfolk.
    • Investigation (Intelligence) to distinguish the most desolate part of the swamp, to see if the liardfolk might be hiding there.

Alternatively, cast a spell intended for communication if you would be able to.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin's persuasion for more info as he travelled down the river. (1d20+5)[22]

29. - Top - End - #419

Llane

With a little bit of difficulty Llane finds himself a piece of the flotilla that allows him some wing space. When the druid finds enough space to transform, he turns into his usual giant eagle form and makes a chattering sound before taking off. This form has good eyes but his mind looking through them. He should be able to find something

Spoiler
    Show
    Perecption - (1d20+8)[28]
    Advantage - (1d20+8)[25]
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #420
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion, before disembarking into the muck, seriously it's the same dirt as everywhere else but when it gets wet and squishy it's just soooo much worse, he attempts to get the villagers to loan them a small boat. "I don't suppose, you kind folks could see fit to lend us the use of a small boat? Since we are disembarking I'm sure one of the smaller tugs could be unloaded into our space? I understand if you cannot spare one of course."

To try to gain the attention of the Lizard folk Zaddion took his lute and began to sing, he thought of a song he'd heard was sung on a battlefield long ago. So he took in a breath and began to strum his Lute.

"<Proud and so glorious standing before of us
    Our swords will shine bright in the sky
    When united we come to the land of the sun
    With the heart of a dragon we ride

We are flying on wings in winter sky with fire burning deep inside
    We are warriors of endless time forever and on
    On wings of steel an ancient flight we see the powers that unite
    The gods will now send us a sign of battle once more

Through the valley we ride full of glory we soar
    Where the fights will be raging for now and for more
    When united we come and divided they fall
    Tonight you will witness it all

Proud and so glorious standing before of us

A land unknown we come so far
    We ride the night till morning star
    When colours fade to black and white
    Your eyes come to sight

With the vision of a great divide
    You turn towards the other side
    You think you run but you can't hide
    The dead can not ride

Through the valley we ride full of glory we soar
    Where the fights will be raging for now and for more
    When united we come and divided they fall
    Tonight you will witness it all

Over high seas and mountains
    We fly to the heavens on wings of a dragon tonight

With the heart of a dragon

The heart of a dragon
    The heart of a dragon we ride">

Show

Rolls in roll thread.

< > Translated from Draconic.

Draconic:

proud vur zyak glorious standing ghoros di udoka
    hesi caexi geou qanesc itmen persvek wer svant
    svadrav united yth confn ekess wer thaczil di wer siksta
    mrith wer kornari di vi darastrix yth vihaga

yth re austratir shafaer altiuiri persvek onkmet svant mrith ixen valignatir bekiw crodr
    yth re arytissi di sultana tairais malrak vur shafaer
    shafaer altiuiri di vyth vin zezhuanth thran yth ocuir wer powers batobot unite
    wer ithquenti geou jaka spol udoka vi quilins di vargach huena throdenilt

erekess wer arux yth vihaga gliiwr di ibahalii yth hysvear
    svaklar wer slathalinic geou qe raging ihk jaka vur ihk throdenilt
    svadrav united yth confn vur divided astahii wielg
    tonight wux geou witness coi shio

proud vur zyak glorious standing ghoros di udoka
    hesi caexi geou qanesc itmen persvek wer svant
    svadrav united yth confn ekess wer thaczil di wer siksta
    mrith wer kornari di vi darastrix yth vihaga

vi thaczil unknown yth confn zyak karif
    yth vihaga wer thurkear till nakit isk
    svadrav kluchuduunic fade ekess vutha vur aussir