New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: Withstanding the Crimson Host

"Yeah, so many tall folk, at least I have the tree there.” Geth shrugs, glad to have at least one person similar in height to him.
    Last edited by Xeno929; 2020-05-25 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Trying to fix the color

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Treecko smiles at the kobold.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Brother Edren
    Hill Dwarf Monk
    AC: 19 HP: 83/83
    PP: 14 PIv: 10 PIs: 14
    Conditions: --

Wait! Wait for me! Out of the tavern sprints a dwarf with a barrel on his back. He moves surprisingly quick for an elf, let alone a dwarf. Coming down off the steps to the inn he trips, flying into the air. Rolling with expert grace, he does a corkscrew through the air and lands on his feet. Don't be goin' anywhere without me! Holding a quarterstaff and wearing a simple leather vest over stained cloth pants, he sways a bit on his feet before seemingly catching his balance. If it's saving the fort you're going on about, I want to be helping too! Brother Edren is my name. I'll live or die fighting to save this place, and allies from afar sounds like just the thing. I would have joined you earlier, but I was filling my barrel! He slaps the side of the keg affectionately. I don't know anyone from around here, so I'll go anywhere with anyone if they mean to help this place.
    The Bear is Back.

4. - Top - End - #34

HalfOrcPirate

”Oh good a dwarf! I like those! They’re almost as good at digging as a kobold, and those beards are pretty co-“ He cuts himself off when he realizes this dwarf doesn’t have a beard, and looks a bit apologetic.
    ”Um... nice muscles? Just as if not more impressive than a beard?” He shrugs and scratches his own beardless chin to emphasize his lack thereof.
    Last edited by Xeno929; 2020-05-25 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Color keeps acting up

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Brother Edren
    Hill Dwarf Monk

Beards? Brother Ed puts a hand to his own face before looking at it in mock surprise. Damn it all, it seems mine must have fallen off! He gives a loopy grin and leans heavily on his staff as though for support. As for muscles, I'm fit as can be, but speed and grace are more my game.
    The Bear is Back.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

The Purohit smiles at how quickly everyone is in deciding to work together. At the entrance to the keep, he calls out to a guard. "I have some friends here to solve my dispute with The Damapati. Please inform her. And bring us eight bows, please." he continues, nodding to Neth. "I am the Purohit Andam Gujjar, I feel I should mention," he tells the party, "in case you have need of my later."

Inside the main room, where sets of heavy armor stand at attention, he sits down to the left of the head of a table, which has clearly been brought up recently. "We have many resources here for your use, if you'll help us." He motions to the other seats. As you wait, he goes over the local politics, pointing out things like the recent uptick in orc attacks, informs you of the current location of the centaurs, and so on (see the lore post on the OOC thread). "I'm sure we could come to some agreement with everyone else, although I don't know what everyone else wants."

A small woman with light brown hair sitting at the head of the table speaks up. "I find this an adequate plan, Andam." Only Neth and Vaathi had noticed her sit down at the table, although only Laith had missed the much larger woman sitting down at the seat opposite the Purohit. "Although you should not have gone behind my back," the woman notes.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Osterneth sat down. "The weapons I have requested are resources I am going to use in service of this city. What I ask in payment for raising an army and defending this place is simple: I need a haven. My work often causes people to turn against me, and I find myself needing to start from scratch. After I save this city, I want it to become a place where I can study in peace. That is my price."
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion gave a start when the small woman spoke up. She had slipped beneath his notice. The sorcerer attempted to cover his surprise with a cough, it wasn’t that convincing. After a moment he spoke up.

”I wonder, ma’am where you intend to raise this army from. I do know of a few fresh bodies one might enlist. Had they the skill. As for these other groups. Other than survival by joining together what can we offer them? I am afraid I do not know much about the Lizardfolk. But I am always interested in the scaled races of the world.”

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin stands up to introduce himself to the Purohit and the two women, respectfully bowing his head to the Damapati and the matron.

"We are all here to help. I am Calin Boren, the former Templar for Jagir Astahd, and came here to help in the defense of this keep. I rode from Whitecliff as soon as I heard of the Goblin Host. We must make our stand here at Arvedon or the Host will cover Adisha like an emptying chamber pot. Unfortunately, the Thakur has not yet seen fit to send a significant number of his own troops to aid us."

"My friends and I need to look at the maps and discuss the best strategy. In order to buy us some time, we were thinking of destroying the bridge at Channel Run and could use horses and explosives if you have them. Do you have other recommendations for where you'd like us to start?"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

"I'd love to meet these volunteers of yours," Neth said shortly to Zaddion.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

The slight woman stares down Neth. "If we survive the final battle and receive your aid, I will gladly allow a wizard's tower for whatever you need. We have a tradition here of golem making and other research. The arcane forge is your to use."

"Yes, well, should the gods permit," mentions the Purohit, who looks more nervous about it. The woman side eyes him for a moment before continuing, "although I would prefer you leave the people of village out of your research."

The larger woman puts a large scoll on the table, explaining "the Damapati has arranged for this to be provided to you," as she rolls out a local map, clearly recently made. "She had expected the refusal to send your garrison on diplomatic missions aren't the end of the issue." The damipati then notes, "I am more than happy to furnish each of you with a riding horse, or a warhorse if any of you are trained for combat in the saddle. My expectations from this would be higher though. "
    Last edited by sandmote; 2020-05-26 at 02:48 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

"As you prefer," Neth answered easily. "I'm ready to go at any time, with half an hour's warning."
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Firbolg in the Playground

Llane

When the discussion of motivation comes up, Llane takes a moment to think before relying on the old lessons. "If the land is torn and scarred, all will lose their ability to live. Regardless of what we think of each-other, everyone will lose if the army isn't stopped. We have some innate cooperation."

He still doesn't like any ideas coming up about Channel Run, especially something drastic like explosives. There are already... concerning rumors about, and actions may have unforeseen consequences.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

14. - Top - End - #44

HalfOrcPirate

“I’m glad you’ve evacuated the women and children. My priority is making sure the people of this kingdom don’t suffer any longer beneath the boot of these Goblinoid scum!” Geth says with a growl, he knocks gently on Brine’s carapace. “How about my crab and I? He’s certainly not as fast as a horse, perhaps a wagon?”

15. - Top - End - #45

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith

"Dampati, forgive me," Laith says, looking at her earnestly. "Time is losing fast and we have lots that needs doing. We are all here to help, that is plain. But why are you so few? Where are the Thakur's men? This place is strong. Good walls, good defenses, but goblins are coming. You are busy, sure. But surely you or one of yours must go to the Thakur, right? The words coming from you are heavy, they mean a lot. This place would be much stronger with much men."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

If applicable, I'm going to try to get more than just an answer from her. I am also going to assume that someone will declare a Help action to aid me in persuading her to go (or send one of her two direct subordinates to) get help from Whitecliff while there's still time.

Persuade: (1d20+8)[27]
    Persuade with advantage: (1d20+8)[23]
    Last edited by Riggdgames; 2020-05-26 at 03:28 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

HalfOrcPirate

Geth nods vehemently in agreement with Laith “I agree, not sending help and allowing this place to fall would weigh heavily on their soul for the rest of their lives. Which may not be much longer if we can’t hold this pass.”

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion smirked at Neth. ”I’ll be happy to jot down where they can be found should we part ways.” The entertainer turns back to the Dampati, “As for what I want in return...I have no request. The adventure and the fame my name shall gain upon a victory is enough. Your people need aid, I can help. That is all that matters.”

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

The Damapati sighs, "The Thakur isn't sending aid. He can't openly help them, but I think we wants these monsters to cripple the Jagir. Desperate for promotion is my most esteemed lord," she glowers, almost spitting out the traditional reverence. "I have already dispatched who I can trust to return," she notes, "and the report is not one that heartens me. The Thakur has holed himself up in his keep, and doesn't appear to be so much as protecting the people who work his lands. I Have instead sent aid to the Thakurai living slightly over, seeking aid from her instead," she explains, "so it isn't as if my diplomats are sitting around worthlessly."

"If you're willing to travel the night road, I will see you off now," the Purohit notes. "I'm glad this will not cost us the most coin, and in case it comes up we have a reserve of 50 pounds of gold to back your words if only a mercenary argument will sway potential help." An aid from the side provides eight bows and quivers of arrows. "Although we would prefer not to have it go," murmurs the larger woman.

19. - Top - End - #49

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin
    AC: 21 HP: 76/76
    PP: 10 PIv: 8 PIs: 10
    Concentration: --

Laith nods grimly, "thank you for telling it true, Dampati." He inclines his head respectfully before looking back up at her. "Let's hope the Thakurai is...better."

Listening to the Purohit, Laith looks around at the others sharing a seat at the table and offers, "I am ready. Time is losing fast, and the night road is much the same as the day road."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

“As I said I can be ready in thirty minutes. Is there some place we should meet up?”
    Neth asked.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Colossus in the Playground

I am ready as I'll ever be, Vaathi says.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

"Thank you for the horses, Ma'am. We will be off now, and hope to see you back here soon."

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Brother Edren
    Hill Dwarf Monk

Brother Ed appears to be blissfully ignoring the political and strategic thought going on around him, when truly he is taking it all in, not adding anything until he feels he must. He removes his waterskin from his belt and takes a long swig, chugging it down like it was wine. Once there is a pause in the conversation, he pipes in. I'm already packed and ready to go. You can tell me where I'm heading, but I'll probably forget and have to be told again by the time we get there! He accompanies this with a lopsided grin, as though he is waiting for the punch line to land.
    Last edited by purepolarpanzer; 2020-05-26 at 09:30 PM.
    The Bear is Back.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"I suspect the Lizardfolk are driven by things other than gold, though perhaps that is simply youthful optimism."

Zaddion finished a glass of water and stood, cracking his back. "I am not much of a rider, but I won't force anyone to bear my weight. I will have to prepare a few traveling songs for our journey. Might need to start a journal to market these momentous events." The sorcerer ran his silver clawed hand through his hair. "Those are of course secondary concerns. Let us be off, the sooner we start the better."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Firbolg in the Playground

Llane

Politics, never really something Llane ever spent much thought even attempting to understand. He's alright at sussing out when someone is acting in bad faith but the particulars of why always seem petty and stupid.

"I can keep us moving at night, especially if the skies stay clear."
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

26. - Top - End - #56

HalfOrcPirate

Geth mutters to himself “If there’s anything I miss most about kobolds it’s the sense of community...” He stands up on his chair and starts towards the door, “Night time is my best time so let’s head out.”

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Neth also stood.
    "Very well. I suppose if we simply make a detour toward my place so I can pick something up, that would be sufficient."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

"Neth, you can have your half hour to prepare. We need to gather the explosives and get the horses ready. I'll get your horse ready for you while you do what you need to do."

He turns to the hosts, "We'll need 10 days of food for each horse. We won't have time to let them graze."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Osterneth nodded and made for the abandoned house she had made her own. Within, someone who had once been alive waited for her. She poured out her back of bones before reaching out into the Shadowfell and withdrawing a pair of excess souls.
    "Devourers in the Plane of Darkness! Come forth and meet your mistress!"
    Her raven, who she had tasked with guarding the body, hopped onto her arm and cawed. "Shh, Karactacus. I have more work to do." She raised the other seven skeletons, then reached into the shadows once more to grab the ghost of a proud horse. She tamed the soul and brought it before her. "You are my mount," she told it. Then she handed off her bags to the zombie. "Follow me and attack no one. We are to meet with some friends on the road," she instructed each of her undead. She opened the doors and mounted her phantom steed and led her undead retinue to the night road.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Phantom Steed to summon a ghost horse, blowing all 3rd level slots on Animate Dead and one 4th level slot to raise a total of 9 undead under my service. Then I'll head to the road out of town to meet the people there.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

The larger woman glares at Calin "the horses will collapse if you work them too hard, so you might as well let them graze when you're stopped. Otherwise feed and wagons will be provided." As everyone turns to prepare, she leads whoever is interested (assuming Geth and Calin at least) to the main stables. She instructs the stable hands to prepare a horse for each of you, as well as a wagon for feed and a wagon for Brine.

She'll be waiting outside the stables for everyone to be ready.