New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Withstanding the Crimson Host

The lizardfolk back away from Brakkar's new, undead guards and confusion sets in once his body rises. Once they're sure he's still dead, one mentions to Neth "nomeno tawuraic kiri."

Laith's check of the building for demons or undead reveals no sign of Tol'guuz, but he does encounter the guards who were standing at the door; their shift seems to have ended, and they meekly wave their open hands at him. One peels her lips back to show Laith all her teeth, and it takes him a moment to realize she's trying to smile.

By the time the party has rested, several of the lizardfolk have cleaned rooms in the hallway adjacent to the dining room, and one informs Calin that Alzetisk has gone back to fetch Maardo. There's just the issue now of where to spend the night.

Spoiler: Translation
    Show
    "This works too."

2. - Top - End - #572
    Titan in the Playground

After taking a few minutes to reassert her control, Osterneth stretched and spoke to the one who’d been happy to see her animate Brakker.
    “Bahaadur Brakker sota tha?”

Spoiler
    Show
    ”where did Brakker sleep?”
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

She's taken a bit aback, and stares at Neth slowly. "jaci woari wer rigluin ekess vdri; jaci ssifisva svaklar jaci loreata."

Show
    "He lost the need to sleep; he rested where he died."

4. - Top - End - #574
    Titan in the Playground

Osterneth sighed.
    "Let us make camp and await Mardo's return then."
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin takes one of the newly cleaned rooms and prepares to rest for the night.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I assume it's too late now to go back to Mardo's camp

6. - Top - End - #576
    Titan in the Playground

Neth selected a room and sent her undead in, instructing the wounded to rest while those not wounded guarded them. She then knocked on Calin's door.
    "Room for another, Knight Calin?"
    Show

7. - Top - End - #577
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin
    AC: 21 (19) HP: 70/76
    PP: 10 PIv: 8 PIs: 10
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

"Nothing really," Laith says, finally answering Calin as he puzzles over the guards. He eventually tries to return a smile of his own, but it comes out as more of a grimace. Taking his cues from the others, Laith finds a place to bed down for the night where he can quickly support the others. He doesn't trust their surroundings, but he trusts them.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin opens the door,

"Of course. It's safer to stay together. Come in."

Show
    Laith is welcome to sleep in the same room as well.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Titan in the Playground

Neth entered and sat on the bed. "Crazy few days, huh?"
    Show

10. - Top - End - #580
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin becomes very formal with Neth, trying to remain a gentleman. While he knows that with her magic, she doesn't need any protecting, he will keep up the joint ruse.

"You can sleep in the bed, ma'am. I will sleep on the floor by the door here to keep guard."

He offers to leave if Neth needs to change, and is modest as he takes off his armor and prepares to sleep on his bedroll.

Show

11. - Top - End - #581
    Titan in the Playground

"You're too kind, Calin." Nonetheless, Neth accepted both offers and got into the bed. "Ever picture yourself settling a territorial dispute between lizardfolk?"
    Show

12. - Top - End - #582
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin laughs as he thinks back on their recent adventures.

"No, but it's not as strange as finding a good necromancer. You are a wonder. And I suspect it's not the strangest thing we will have to do before this war is over."

Show

13. - Top - End - #583
    Titan in the Playground

Neth smiled at her label of "good necromancer." "Don't pretend your powers are unimpressive, Calin. We each have our own contributions."
    Show

14. - Top - End - #584
    Ogre in the Playground

The night passes tensely. At one point some lizardfolk come down the hallway in full armor before retreating back from the undead, particularly once they see the zombie made of Brakkar standing guard.

When the party emerges from their defensive hole the next morning, several servants are cooking in the kitchen, but refuse to serve non-lizardfolk. is asked about it, one questions "Maardo," quietly. One motions Calin and Laith over, explaining "Maardo outside."

Specifically, she and her party are standing over the top of the ridge in a defensive position. Alzetisk stands by her side, and they're apparently waiting for the party to emerge. Maardo address the party in common from a slight distance. "I, the true chief tess thank you. Do you have his remains?"

Once she's inspected the zombie, she continues. "I have no more rival, but see some follow er of brakkar still stand." She points to a group of guards in formation with shields and spears at the ready. Maardo takes a moment to speak. "wer tuka di wer kothar tepohaic confn ekess vin sulta. si, wer vis rimema ui spical ekess kult. oupil vhira dout jirai vur si nishka qe kilithel, ihk yth tepoha jennu rigluin ekess ehaism vi jennuilt irlym svaust confn korja wer myvillion. put mojka wer neri, vur origato udoka stand ulnaus, batobot wer geou di semuanya vur essylliss geou qe authot. yth geou ti merely gahri shar vsist xiilek, ti sask sva wer pabi." Between the horde of undead to have emerged, the show of Brakkar's corpse, and Maardo being present, the tribe turns to start shuffling around materials and personal possessions, presumably to reorder everyone for her return. Maardo gives one last note to the party, "please meet me at throne shortly," before moving off to bark orders at the scrambling tribe.

Show
    the reign of the demon has come to an end. I, the true chieftess is back to rule. lay down your arms and I shall be merciful, for we have great need to face a greater enemy who come along the north. put away the spears, and let us stand together, that the will of semuanya and essylliss will be done. we will not merely survive but also prosper, not rot at the waters.

For the moment, the party is caught in the middle, with the chance to talk to over lizardfolk. Alzetisk is standing near the main entrance, and the cooks will probably be willing to feed the party at this point. The contingent of Brakkar's loyal stand despondently, seemingly be waiting for something.

Show
    The party can take minute to restock supplies while waiting for Maardo. You can roll once if you like, either before or after the next section.

• An Insight (Wisdom) check to find someone to give you quick directions around the area
    • A Persuasion(Charisma) check to ask Alzetisk what's going on.
    • An Investigation (Intelligence) check to find anything of use about Brakkar's soldier's.
    • An Intimidation (Charisma) or Deception (Charisma) check to ask about the remains of Brakkar's victims (if you want new undead, I guess).
    • A Survival (Wisdom) check to search the area for anything of note, such as supplies.
    • Whatever other ideas you might have.

Once ready, the party meets Maardo in the main entrance room of the building you've just taken over. She's spearing to various party members, and announcing members of staff within the building. She raises her hand to shush everyone so she can address you.

"I have had gift picked out for you person ally." Waiting servants, one still sickly from their time in the remote swamp with her presents some items to the party. First is a pair of nets. "Brakker used for capture. Will keep holded goblin alive to ask infor mation." Second are three scrolls; "vile spells, but of help for war." Finally, she hands Laith and Calin three javelins, each marked with lightning and a handaxe with the corroded green-tinted head. "Person al weapons." Maardo picks one up personally, and spins it, "command is 'frahraek' to use," the Javelin of Lightning sparking as she says it.

Before the party has time to leave, a pair of lizardfolk ride in on giant lizards in full battle array. Maardo beams a bit and explains to the party "Will make way to mountain keep, to help fight." With this, the party is turned out back to the settlement to finish anything they'd like to try and to continue their journey.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Titan in the Playground

"Actually, Maardo, there's one more thing." Osterneth pointed to Brakker. "Bow."

The zombie of Brakker threw itself on its face before Maardo. After having a laugh, Neth left the throne room with her zombies.
    "Well, I'd call that a rousing success. What do you think? Orcs next?"
    Show

16. - Top - End - #586
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin laughs at Neth's joke, admiring her sense of humor.

"Yes. We should get going. Maardo, the more help you can send the better. If we don't defeat the goblins at the pass, they will control everything on this side of the mountains, including this swamp."

He waits for the others but is prepared to leave.

Show
    Were the orcs next or the centaurs? I can't remember.

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin says goodbye to his new friends and asks around for the best way to getting out of the swamp headed back west towards the centaurs.

"Thank you for your help Maardo. We wish you luck. Which is the best path out of here?"

He makes any other preparations for the journey.

Show
    Insight (1d20+4)[8]

18. - Top - End - #588
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin
    AC: 21 (19) HP: 70/76
    PP: 10 PIv: 8 PIs: 10
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Even Laith finds himself unable to stop a smirk as Brakkar bows to Maardo, the one true conqueror and ruler of the Scaleknaskers. Without a doubt, he's growing accustomed to Neth's ways, though a splinter of doubt still rests in his mind.

"We are giving thanks to you Maardo, these weapons will help and your people will be helping more."

Turning to their former guide, Laith says, "Alzetisk, you have been with us this far. Can you be guiding us further, at least as far as the borderlands with the Centaurs? I know your people are needing you too and can be not sparing you at the Pass, but will you show us the best way to the Smoking Mountains?"

Show

Persuasion (if possible) to try to have Alzetisk guide us for a bit to make the trek easier? I'm thinking this is similar to the Insight check suggested, but another method. Otherwise I could rewrite this to just be a general Persuade for more information from Alzetisk.

Nat 1's make it easier to figure out

(1d20+8)[9]

Last edited by Riggdgames; 2021-01-18 at 08:07 PM.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ogre in the Playground

Only after asking the question does Laith realize he's addressing the wrong lizardfolk. "Zhacharia," she explains, pointing to herself. Meanwhile Calin realizes he can't tell which way is out in the morning light. The display is so upsetting to the present lizardfolk that they not only round up Alzetisk to show you the way out, but Zhacharia and another lizardman insist on helping you as well. "Not leave soft skins to drown," Alzetisk declares.

Show
    It you roll badly enough, some NPCs will take pity on you too. Particularly if their people already view you as mewling children due to your lack of inborn armor or weapons.

Neth notices most of Maardo's equipment is magical too, as is the lance of one lizard rider. A few items in the hold are magical as well, such as a silver holding dish in the kitchen, and a pair of rings worn by her servant's. It looks like everything magical is kept in the main keep though, and Neth doesn't find anything suited for combat.

Soon, your expedition reaches the fleet from Channel Run, where Alzetisk and the others board to meet with the humans. Zhacharia offers to lead you to the edge of the swamp, but last you see of the other two they're poring over maps with some human elders, discussing possible trade of fish in the winter and sending news to the Scaleknaskers' old trade partners.

At the swamp's edge, Zhacharia stops the party "All well?" Her tone is like she's giving you something. "Luck." She turns then to return into the swamp with a forced wave.

You can tell from where the swamp is the vague direction to go, but there's no road where Zhacharia let you out, just reeds at the bottom of this hillside and rolling grasslands before you. Maybe time to start trudging east until you can see the smoking mountain?

20. - Top - End - #590
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    But how did Maardo feel about Brakkar bowing to her?

Neth smiled at her undead collection.
    "Oh, things are going swimmingly. Good day."
    Show

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin says goodbye to Zhacharia and thanks him for the guidance and luck.

"We hope to see you again, when this is done."

He looks to the west, not quite sure where to even find the centaurs, but knowing we need to try.

Show
    Sandmote, are we still on schedule?

22. - Top - End - #592
    Ogre in the Playground

The party travels through the grasses for the day, and soon the peak of the smoking mountain comes into view, giving you better reference for where you're headed. A few hours after lunch, you stumble over a herd of (4d4+2)[13] Nilgai at the center of a particularly wide depression between the hills. As you're passing on the neighboring ridge (about 500 feet from the herd) you hear whooping from its general direction and a pair of centaurs appear to start driving the herd toward you. You're familiar enough with the cow-like beasts to know they'll flee your party, but the hunters are driving them directly at you.

Show
    Nilgai are a close relative of cows native to India and some Indian themed settings. They are medium and have a weaker charge, but otherwise use the cow statblock.

23. - Top - End - #593
    Titan in the Playground

"I do not mean to concern anybody, but I believe those cattle are about to trample us." Neth frowned as she looked the way the stampede was coming from. "Yes, I'll have to confirm my previous analysis. We should move and also try to get that centaur's attention." She looked for cover and walked toward it, her undead forming a shield of bodies around her.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #594
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin looks to Neth to come up with a solution. This seems like a wizard problem to him.

"See what you can do Neth. I'll try to protect you if they get close."

He positions himself behind the wall of undead but in front of Neth. If the cows get past the skeletons, they'll have to get past him before they get to the wizard.

25. - Top - End - #595
    Titan in the Playground

"I am," Neth assured him, moving out of the way at a brisk pace.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

As herd draws nearer, it slows down as it turns to avoid the wall of undead, at which point the centaurs loose arrows at one of the animals.
    (1d20+4)[9] for (1d8+2)[8] and (1d20+4)[9] for (1d8+2)[6]. Both miss, but the arrows land close enough for everyone to pick out a particular bull they're aiming for: a smaller, grey-haired one who's lagging behind the others slightly.

By now, the nilgai have run within 70 feet of the party, and are turning away to try to escape both you and the centaurs. The centaurs are almost 200 feet away. They've been gaining on the herd so far, but didn't attack until the herd was slowing down to avoid the party.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2021-01-21 at 10:36 PM.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Titan in the Playground

"Oy!" Neth called to the Centaurs. "After you're done with the hunt, mind coming and talking to us?"
    Show

28. - Top - End - #598
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

"Let's see if we can help."

Calin tries to give a friendly wave to the centaurs so they know I'm just trying to help them. He drives his horse around the herd to get closer to the straggler. Once he gets close, his echo appears next to the target and he swings his greatsword, attacking through the echo.

Show
    Move 60' on the horse, BA manifest echo another 30', then move it 30' if needed.

Attack with his sword (1d20+9)[29] for (2d6+6)[12]

Second attack if needed (1d20+9)[18] for (2d6+6)[13]

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

The echo's blow cleaves deep into the Nilgai, dispatching it in a single masterful blow. While the rest of the herd rushes off into the distance beyond, the centaurs close in, putting up their weapons and waving to show they mean peace.

"Hello, nice to see you." the older one tells the party as they approach. Her hair is long and grey behind her, and she's dressed in silken robes. "We have been tracking that herd for a few days; driving them to you was the best chance for a kill I could see for a while. If we had startled you I apologize." Her companion, younger and dressed in loose leather, inspects the dead animal. "Thou are quite the huntsman, to bring it down in a single blow," she tells Calin, "As we drove it to thee, might the second cut be ours?"

Calin recognizes the dialect of common they're using: its the archaic type that's spoken only in the upper courts of Adisha and surrounding kingdoms. Although why it seems to be default common of rural centaurs he doesn't know.

30. - Top - End - #600
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin bows in whatever manner would be appropriate for greeting centaurs.

"Greetings, friends. We weren't out hunting. We just saw what you were doing and thought we could help. The Nilgai is all yours. We are looking for you, both to warn you and to ask for your help. The goblin horde is coming from the east and we are asking for help to defend Arvedon Pass and offering refuge behind its walls."

Show