New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Withstanding the Crimson Host

Zaddion slipped off his steed, and cracked his back. Three days most of which were spent in the saddle does not do a man's back or thighs any favors, after loosening his joints the Sorcerer slipped his silver claws back onto his fingers and pulled his loot from the saddlebags. He also slipped an apple out of his bags and gave his mount a little treat.

"I'll come along, these people's spirits need lifting."

Humming a tune the sorcerer began to strum the chords of the lute, magic thrummed through the chords and the notes. This was not a song detailing some epic victory or war. It was a simple tune of home and comfort and safety, as he sang his lute conjured images of birds, bees, and other innocuous things fluttering around him.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

The man is a bit startled by Laith. "No?" He looks puzzled. "We're going to row downstream out of their way," he explains. "It's far faster, and the road seemed pretty clogged. Why have you left the pass to approach the damned monsters?"

A few children run up to Zaddion, glad for the break from the steady fear in the village. While no one seems upset by his playing, they appear baffled anyone has been riding closer to the Host. A woman approaches. "Is there a reason you've come here?"

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Brother Edren
    Hill Dwarf Monk
    AC: 19 HP: 83/83
    PP: 14 PIv: 10 PIs: 14
    Conditions: --

Once Zaddion begins playing and the children run out, Brother Ed is in his element. He takes a seemingly drunken stumble forward, resulting in him doing a split on the ground. Hurling himself forward, he tumbles upwards into a standing position before leaping up into a standing flip, then leaping backwards. He catches himself on his hands and stays that way, upside down. We're here to make sure you're all doing alright, and to ask if any of ya would come with us back to the fort. We'll be protectin ya there, and we sure could use any hands that would be willing to aid in the defense. Not just fightin, mind you. We need people to fetch supplies, plane arrows, fill buckets of water in case of fires. Lots of hands makes for light work, as they say. Using one hand to support himself, he makes a show of grabbing his water skin and attempting to drink while upside down, resulting in a watery, splashing mess pouring down over his face. He smiles a loopy grin towards the children while he drips.
    The Bear is Back.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Colossus in the Playground

Vaathi smiles at Edren's antics. She's not good with entertainment, but she appreciates someone trying to keep spirits light with humour. To the woman, she says We would appreciate any help that can be provided, and in turn offer our services to keep you all safe.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Geth approaches the group, head down, and reaches into his coin pouch to take out six gold coins in his palm. He looks at the woman and hands her the coin. “I’m not sure if Damapati Khare would or could, but I personally wouldn’t mind paying for your assistance. I don’t have much need for the stuff.”
    Last edited by Xeno929; 2020-05-29 at 02:36 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin
    AC: 21 HP: 76/76
    PP: 10 PIv: 8 PIs: 10
    Concentration: --

Laith smiles genuinely as Brother Edren and Zaddion lift the spirits of everyone in attendance. He was not used to a group of companions with such a variety of talents yet. His smile falters slightly as he looks at their distinct lack of armor. Knights of the Golden Lion seldom traveled in anything less than full plate. The idea of facing a host of goblins in a robe or hardly anything at all felt like insanity. He would pray for them again this evening. All of them. Much depended on so few.

"The river is fast, yes. You can go far, far from here," Laith says, searching for the right thing to say. Thankfully he only has to build on what Edren, Vaathi, and Geth have already said. "But maybe you think, I want to come back. Maybe you think, I want to go home. We want to help you come back here. We want to help them pay for this place with lives. Lots and lots of goblin lives. Will you help us? Guide us about this place. Help us pay...help us make them pay for this place. Help us at the pass and we break will them," he says, mixing up his words, but dropping his fist into his palm hard to make his point."Help us push them back east so you can come home."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Persuasion: (1d20+8)[15]

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin Boren
    Human Fighter
    AC: 18 HP: 76/76
    PP: 15 PIv: 9 PIs: 15

After initial greetings and waiting until after their reply to Laith's proposal, Calin has a few questions of his own.

"We think it would make sense to destroy this bridge in order to slow down the Horde. Is there someone here who could show us the bridge's architecture so we can better place the explosives? How far is the nearest ford or bridge from here so we know how much time we might buy ourselves? We should also destroy any crops or food stores that you aren't taking with you. No need to give the enemy more supplies."

"I was told to look for an old man living in the ruins here. Do any of you know him?"

8. - Top - End - #98
    Firbolg in the Playground

Llane

While some of the party sees to the spirits of the locals, there's really a job to do. Following after Calin's comments, the druid adds, "We are hoping we can preserve or heal enough of this place to come back to. At the least to keep the blight from spreading."
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

The man is more measured when responding to Laith "You may call me Asghar. I would like to help, but I can't abandon my family. Far easier to sail downstream to the edge of where the Scaleknaskers live and hold out until Kingdom's armies arrive. Best of luck though."

The woman huffs a bit at the requests for help. "We aren't fighting a war. We've already lost the farmland here, only that loon even tries growing anything anymore. What do you think they'll do? Pillage the rubble? Burn the river?" She turns to Calin "If you heard of him, try where the trees are thickest. Just don't light anything, and leave us out of it!" Apparently no longer concerned with your plight, she starts picking up her things.

As the woman leaves, the man does speak up again, "Look, there's no where else to cross the river for a day's travel north or south. if you want a big stand here, go ahead. The curse isn't spreading through, and it doesn't affect the fish much, so we're happy to wait for it to let up."
    Last edited by sandmote; 2020-05-29 at 07:03 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion gave the children a warm smile, and continued playing. Admittedly, his Dwarf companion’s acrobatic display put his playing to shame. His lip twitched a bit at having the spotlight stolen. He considered changing the tune, but no that might upset the children and right now this wasn’t about him. Swallowing, and nearly choking his pride he kept playing.

Evidently his internal struggle with his own ego caused him to miss a conversation. ”These people don’t have much, but losing there homes must bite deeply.” The sorcerer ended the song with a few solemn notes, which his lute created visible illusions off so they hung in the air as did his last note. “Perhaps we should seek out this ‘loon’? Or should we focus on ensuring the evacuation? I know a few things to gather everyone’s attention.”

11. - Top - End - #101

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin

Nodding in understanding, Laith latches onto the fact that Ashgar will be traveling downriver until they reach the borders of Scaleknasker tribal lands. "Do you know the Scalers, Ashgar? Could you...would you help us talk at them? They will have no friends of goblins, I think."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

"I can take you down the river with me," Ashgar offers, "but I don't know them. The traders used to go into the swamps, but mostly from the eastern villages. We won't be bothering them none, and hopefully they won't bother us. I'll be taking my family down in the morning. You're welcome to ride down in one of the old boats. I'll be glad for the protection."

Upon further questioning, he says it's about a day's travel to the edge of the swamp by boat, and about the same time back here.

13. - Top - End - #103

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin

"Our thanks, Ashgar," Laith says before glancing at his companions. "Will you...we will first talk," Laith continues, gesturing to the others before holding up his hand, begging for Ashgar's patience.

Stepping back a few paces, Laith motions for Brother Edren to right himself and rejoin them, and catches Zaddion's eye now that his song has finished. Looking around at the gathered faces with all but Neth in attendance, Laith tries to gather his words before speaking.

"You heard him? Ashgar and his family and the rest leave at the morning for Scaler land. We can help them. Safe in numbers. Safe with us, right? If the man in the trees is here to stay and fight," he says, looking to Llane and then Calin, "we still find him here after. If he is here to stay and fight, he will not mind if we come back with friends. But more friends would help," Laith says, looking at Zaddion and Geth. "Let us make friends of the Scalers and come back."

Finally turning to Vaathi and Brother Edren, Laith says, "we all went to the Keep when we felt the danger. But we are not an Order. One of us has lead in big battles," Laith says, nodding to Calin, "but we are not an army. No one orders here. Each chooses.

"I have done. I will listen."

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion slipped his Lute's strap around his shoulder and stowed the instrument along his back. "You have a point about safety but a larger group would attract attention...but with what Goblins would do should they be caught without protection...I agree that we should go with them. They know the river better than us anyways. Perhaps we learn something useful during the journey. But what of Neth and her...forces?"

15. - Top - End - #105

Llane

Llane takes a look out into the wasted region ahead of them. He's not sure whether the man wants even to be found, but could in fact be another lone druid. One even less involved in the day-to-day of the region than he is... was. At least if he wanted to be found at all there would be Druid signs.

"We have time to make contact if we can find this man quickly. He may have left a warning."

He can't disagree that contacting the larger tribe would be a priority.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

Llane has seen several druidic symbols since entering the village. Most just smear the locals, but two are of note:

One, on the largest tree along the road leading to the bridge marks the symbol for a druid's home. Based on the size and positioning, it's across the river. When he looks across, it seems to be in the center of the three largest trees across the way.

The other marks unnatural threats, for some reason, and is situated to say this threat is in the south area of the village. Rather than by the usual methods of marking, however, it appears to have been laid into the cobblestones leading along the road south, toward the largest ruined buildings of the old town.

17. - Top - End - #107

Llane

Putting signs into a structure like that means that whoever is out there is here on a permanent basis. Llane motions for the members of the group not entertaining or helping the townsfolk close. He keeps his voice low considering the reputation he's heard of the man so far, "Old signs, the man's close. Keep your eyes out for markings you can't read. We can make contact quickly".
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108

HalfOrcPirate

Geth seems inclined to agree about meeting the Druid, and says “Perhaps the Druid knows what’s going on here, I doubt he’d live so close and not have an eye on whatever is blighting this area. I’d rather not consider the alternative, he might not be so helpful if he doesn’t have at least a little bit of an idea. If we can get to him before the day is over, maybe we talk to him then go.”

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Whoever is interested can cross the bridge and search that area. You can roll investigation, survival, or nature.

Whoever is interested can follow the road south. You can roll perception, religion, or investigation.

Whoever is interested can go talk to more villagers. You can roll insight, persuasion, or athletics.

You don't all need to go together.

20. - Top - End - #110

Vaathi will stay with the villagers, talking to them and trying to get to know them. If they wish, she will demonstrate some of her abilities.

Show
    (1d20+5)[11]
    (1d20+5)[24] Potential Advantage?

Persuasion

Show
    Show

Show

21. - Top - End - #111

HalfOrcPirate

Geth decides to investigate the south road, believing it best for the Druid to communicate with their ilk. He uses his primeval awareness to sense any potential threats or abnormal creatures.

22. - Top - End - #112

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin

Walking back over to Ashgar, Laith thanks him again and promises to find him in the morning regardless of what they decide. For now though, he explains, "there is still work to be doing for some."

Laith will stay with the warrior Vaathi, asking Ashgar if there are those who need aid preparing for the voyage tomorrow and attempting to get to know more of them.

Show

Aid Vaathi in persuasion for advantage.

Athletics to aid villagers: (1d20+6)[11]
    Advantage if Vaathi helps: (1d20+6)[15]

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Vaathi finds the village smith, who is a very old man with some very old equipment. He's happy to discuss the needs of the villagers, as he's been struggling to get everything working in time to flee. "We're leaving in the morning, and I don't know what we'll find when we come back," he explains. When Vaathi demonstrates that she possess a breath attack, the villagers quickly insist that they believe her now but would prefer if she didn't use it again. They are happy to have her and her friends stay the night however, and for you to join the drinking the night before they leave.

When Geth checks the south road, he finds the houses were much fancier before falling into disrepair. His primeval awareness senses a mass of undead, and he follows it to one of the largest buildings, which appears to have been a religious center of some sort. The remnants of stained glass windows stand on the outside, and visible through them the center appears to contain a large room with a high ceiling. Unless the main room's floor is dug out, the undead appear to be underground. The massive door stands closed, and no windows are near the floor.

Otherwise, there is a fiend of some sort in the direction of the host and a few fey somewhere upriver.

Edit: Laith starts helping the villagers unload the last of he fishing vessels and load the materials they'll be taking down river in their place. He manages not to damage anything or trip, but not to get a lot done. Several villagers thank him, and offer a drink for his aid.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2020-06-01 at 06:30 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114

Vaathi offers to help move everything. I was not the strongest in my home, but my kind are able to carry great loads without difficulty.

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion decides to go and speak to the villagers as well. He has no skill with tracking so he lets those with the skills do their part without his bumbling efforts mucking up their attempts.

26. - Top - End - #116

Llane

Seeming that they have the time, Llane gets going across the river and towards the place marked by druid-sign. He doesn't want to detect the magic around him right now, probably not liking the results and at worse being overwhelmed. Still, his eyes scan around for evidence of how the land is doing, what this blight is, and if there are any clear dangers.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Nature - (1d20+4)[9]
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Osterneth, having been left to her own devices, began directing an impromptu theatrical production.
    "Right. Mavis, you're an overworked dung shoveler who's only ever wanted adventure. Marina, you're a diuretic goat herder who lives a life of adventure, but because you always smell of **** you have been unable to find love. You're visiting town to sell your wares... and go."
    Mavis shambled up to Marina. "Augh gran blurg," the zombie said. The skeleton opened her mouth a few times saying nothing.
    "We'll work on it, this is a good starting point."
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

28. - Top - End - #118

HalfOrcPirate

Geth returns to the group, and to Neth specifically to inform them of the undead he found. He doesn’t say anything but he watches the undead production for a little before approaching Neth. He found what he saw entertaining, resisting his instinct to kill the undead.
    Last edited by Xeno929; 2020-06-01 at 11:28 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Neth looked up at Geth and hastily motioned for the Undead to stop their hollow imitation of theatre. "Hey. Ah... Geth, was it? You didn't... see any of that, did you?"
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

30. - Top - End - #120

HalfOrcPirate

Geth nods as he comes to talk to Neth, comforting Brine as he fidgets near the zombies. “I prefer them that way actually, less... unsettling. I need your expertise though, as I’ve felt the presence of a great many undead down the south road in a building.”