New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Withstanding the Crimson Host

Osterneth jumped in excitement, refreshing her Mage Armor.
    “Mine now! Fall in, M squad!”
    she declared, and began leading the undead in a march toward the village.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

The villagers are thankful for Vaathi's help, but most of the lifting is done by now.

Zaddion finds the center of the drinking, but accidentally stumbles into an old woman, hunched and worn from long walks. As he apologizes she scolds him a bit, informing him "these herbs only grow near the swamp at the river's corner," and that he better watch where he goes. A bit more schmoozing later, she's warmed up to him a bit. As the wizened often do, she begins into a more detailed description of the herbs she had gathered from the swamp over the last few days. "The journey is difficult for me in my old age, mister, but you bet this town needs the medicine. I've barely made it back from my trip knowing we're headed down the river in the morning."

Llane doesn't spot anything significant on the other side of the bridge. The only notable thing is the lack of common plants. There's bushes and a few gnarled trees, but none of the common smaller plants. The annuals from the region seem entirely gone, and plants that take longer to grow are rare.

The villagers pull back from Neth's grim procession as she enters the village that remains on the banks of the river.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

"Where did you detect these undead?" Neth asked Geth once they'd arrived, her eyes sliding right over the horrified townspeople.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion nodded to the old woman and said his goodbyes. "I will see what we can do, my dear. Now please take care and be sure to evacuate with the other villagers."

He then walked back towards the others, "Ah Neth I see you've joined us. I just learned something interesting, there are medicinal herbs that grow near the swamp at the river's corner. The town needs them for medicine, once we head towards the Lizardfolk, or before then we should gather as much as we can and bring it back with us. Where's our druid friend? They would be best suited, one plant looks much the same to me lest it's grilled and covered in sauce."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Firbolg in the Playground

Llane

"Might have started at the surface. If it's still active what has roots may still be dying,"
    Llane muses to himself as he makes his This is an unnerving place, hopefully the rest of the party is doing well keeping the spirits of the people up and not finding creative ways to frighten children or something.

He continues in towards where the den is supposed to be, thoughts eventually turning to how awkward the conversation is going to be. If they've both been actively avoiding others...
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

6. - Top - End - #126
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Geth leads Neth to where he sensed the undead. “They were in here, there’s no way in I think. I don’t want to agitate them without a plan and thought you’d know something about these guys.”

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

"I likely do. But plans don't erupt out of intelligence and foreknowledge without context. I can't tell you anything about undead by looking at the outside of a building that they happen to be underneath, any more than you, my friend ranger, could tell me what sort of fish I would find in a specific lake by noting that the lake has water in it. Open the doors," Neth ordered her horde, and the zombie and two skeletons advanced to pull the doors open.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

The doors of the building creak open very slowly at first being pulled, and then one falls of its hinges and collapses into the building with a massive thud (the ones being pulled by the zombie). The sound of stone hitting stone reverberates loud enough for anyone still near the village to hear what is happening on the south side of the old town where Neth and Geth are.

Inside, the religious use of the building is visibly clearer. The shelves with rotten paper on them line one wall, and a decaying tapestry has fallen on the tiled floor. A large alter sits in front of a large door on the far side of the room, and two smaller doorways lead off to the left. The only thing not covered in grime is a silver idol of a skeletal arm holding a shield disk. What is on the disk isn't visible, as it is facing the large door.

At the boom, the villagers hush, and worriedly look south toward the sound; anyone still in the village can see this.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

"Mavis, go open that door," Neth ordered, having her zombie approach the door while her eight skeletons stayed at the ready with their shortbows.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin
    AC: 21 HP: 76/76
    PP: 10 PIv: 8 PIs: 10
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

As the boom echoes through the village, Laith surveys the worried faces of the village people. So much for savoring a few moments of rest. Looking to Vaathi, he speaks just one word. "Trouble?"

Laith hesitates for just a moment before draining his ale in a few gulps and rising to his feet. Grabbing his gear, he buckles his axe belt and straps his shield to his arm before making his way towards the source of the noise.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hearing the boom, and quickly forgetting about the herbs Zaddion rushed to the others and stood next to Neth as she sent a Zombie shambling forward. "What is happening? The whole town heard that noise."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

"I opened a door. It made a loud sound. There is no cause for alarm," Neth assured the sorcerer. "But if you'd like to help deal with the other undead under this temple, belonging to someone else, I would be grateful."
    Show

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

”Now your speaking my language.” Zaddion lifted his hand and flexed his silver clad fingers. “Let’s burn some wild undead.”

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

As this is going on, Mavis slowly shuffles up to the door, and begins to pull on it. The door opens a crack, then a loud pop from the hinges stops the motion.

Everything remains motionless for a split second, and then a horrific wailing noise erupts from the darkness beyond. The source approaches the room Mavis is in, and is joined by a chorus of similar voices. It doesn't look like Mavis can open the door any further.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2020-06-03 at 11:54 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

"Keep the remains intact if at all possible," she insisted, waiting to see if the zombie encountered any resistance on the other door.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Mavis shuffles to the other door, and begins pulling. It doesn't look like her strength score is high enough to get it moving by herself. Perhaps the rested hinges are adding extra resistance? Or something might be holding her back...

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin goes with Llane across the river to look for the druid, keeping an eye out for tracks or danger. Perhaps this man has information or assistance that will be of help. After the loud crash, he waits "Should we return?" he asks Llane. But hearing no further commotion, he recommends they continue on their mission.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

"Mila! Help her out!" Neth sent one skeleton to help Mavis. If that didn't work, she would send another, and if that failed she would assume the door was locked and have them all break off.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139

HalfOrcPirate

Geth hops off of Brine, and draws his rapier, Brine scuttles up looming behind the small kobold, pincers up and ready for any attackers.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

On the other side of the river, Calim recognizes one of the trees growing. Parts of it are used to produce medication to reduce pain and help heal injuries. Calim never learned much about herbal remedies, but the tree has a tap in the side. A bucket of resin is sitting on the ground below the tap: someone seems to be in the process of collecting it.

Back in the old temple, Mila approaches the door. Suddenly, she turns and dashes away into the corner, ignoring Neth's commands.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin points out the tree to Llane. "I can't remember the name, but I recognize that tree. It's sap is used to make a healing medication. Do you have any skill in that area?"

He then addresses the person collecting the sap, "Hello, friend. We are here to help everyone move out before the goblin horde arrives. Do you need any assistance?"

He saves his next question, asking about the old man trying to restore the area, until after he gets a hopefully friendly response.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-06-04 at 06:23 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142

Llane

"No, the others wouldn't be foolish enough to start anything major. At worst that was probably somewhere they decided to use the explosives,"
    Llane responds to Calin, unaware just what the others are up to.

The druid takes a quick look at the bucket, wondering at the purity of the sap. Even with the trees alive if there's something in the water it would need to be cleansed. "Yes, actually. I'm not a hunter, 'apothecary' is a close word."

When they make contact with the man, Llane decides to make it quick to see if this is the Druid at work. [druidic]"I am a friend and have seen your marks."
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well someone was going to have to up there and help that zombie, someone brave, strong. Since no one like that was available though, Zaddion would have to do. The sorcerer stepped closer to the door and cast mage hand. The sigils along his silver claws lit up with magic, a phantasmal hand-formed in front of him and he sent it to aid Mavis in pulling the door.

Spoiler: actions
    Show

Casting Mage Hand to aid Mavis.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

The man collecting the resin looks up. "Humph. Everyone else may have given up on the land here, but there's no way you can make me do it! I'll fight that army myself if they want to destroy it."

His response to Llane is far more polite. [druidic] "While I'd normally be glad to discuss events, I'm in a rush."

Inside the temple, the mage hand's 10 pounds of force doesn't seem to be enough to help move the door. The chorus of voices distinctly seems to be coming from the same location, and has stopped moving closer to the door. Mila is still trembling in the corner and ignoring Neth's commands.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Intrigued, Neth held up a hand, having her zombie back up.
    "Laith," she called."You're right in time. Something is disrupting my forces in there."
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146

Llane

Keeping things polite, and considering the kind of effort in this project, Llane continues in common, "We're not here to drag you off, just making sure you can come back to your work after. I have reason to believe they have feybeasts, which makes them not such a simple horde."
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Feeling like he did his job connecting our druid with the one he had been told about, Calin lets the two druids try to come to an agreement. When he hears Llane describe the Fey-beasts, he thinks it might be his time to chime in.

"Perhaps, kind sir, it would be better for you to join us for now and then after we destroy the horde, we could come back here with you to help nature reclaim this land. We plan to make a stand at Arvedon and are hoping to convince the lizard folk, centaurs, orcs and halflings to attack them from the rear and disrupt their supply lines to weaken them. We plan to destroy the bridge so that they have to go around Channel Run."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Persuasion (1d20+5)[8]

28. - Top - End - #148

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin
    AC: 21 HP: 76/76
    PP: 10 PIv: 8 PIs: 10
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Laith stared dumbly at Neth for a moment, working out the situation in his head. Looking back and forth between his three companions, Neth's abominations, and the door in front of them, it finally became clear. Say one thing for Laith. He understands doors.

"A moment," he grunts, not bothering to complete his thought out loud. He slides his axe back into his belt and throws his shield over his back. Worming his fingers into the crack opened by Mavis, Laith pulls hard.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Athletics check just in case it's necessary: (1d20+5)[8]

@JNAProductions: did you come with Laith or stay with the villagers?

Edit: Let's hope the athletics check was just for show and that the hinges were only warded against undead muscling the door open.

Last edited by Riggdgames; 2020-06-05 at 05:45 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149

HalfOrcPirate

Geth and Brine move up behind Laith, Geth helps Brine try to push the door open. “Perhaps we can help. I don’t like what’s behind this door though so stay vigilant.”

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

The man considers Calin's point. "Come back when the bridge is gone. I'm not giving my word on anything unless they've started going around."

With multiple people and a giant crab pulling on the door, they manage to force the door open, although a rusty hinge snaps in the process. One side of the door stands open. Llaith, Geth, and Brine are then able to force the other door the rest of the way open as well, leaving a 10 foot wide doorway.

With enough light to see through, behind the door is a corridor leading 15 feet before it takes a sharp left turn. The wailing appears to be coming from directly around the bend, as if whatever is making it won't cross into the corridor. Mila is still trembling in the corner.

Spoiler: Initiative Order
    Show

Llane
    Salos
    Some Enemies
    Geth/Brine
    Zaddion
    Some Ememies
    Calin
    Some Enemies
    Neth
    Laith

Calin & Llane are elsewhere, and therefore can continue the conversation without worrying about this.

No one has actually spotted the enemies yet, but the noise makes it clear you're all aware of each other.