New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Withstanding the Crimson Host

Llane

"I'm hoping that rumbling was the bridge being gone," Llane comments to the retort, "But we need you. We know what war and running from it. While we're finding, helping the other peoples, there are the people of the land you protect subject to fear, disease and hunger. The land, subject to scarring by foragers and stripped for engines. Your work will be set back generations."

Hopefully whatever circle and philosophy produced this Druid allows for this kind of direct involvement. That's always a roll of the dice.

Spoiler
    Show
    Persuasion - (1d20)[7]
    you know... not a public speaker
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Salos woke up confused - he heard the sudden sound inside his dream and immediately got up and went for his sword. Without time to properly don his armor, Salos rushes out of the barn and puts on his helmet at the same time. "If you can't wear full armor then at least protect your damn head"' was what he always learned in court.

"Heavens, what is going on...?" he mumbles as he approaches the situation.
    "Hey!! You!!" he yells to the necromancer and those around "What is happening here?"

His voice is not imposing, but he sounds like someone who's used to command. Seeing a lot of the villagers frightened, Rai Salos keeps a safe distance and tries to carefully read the situation.

Salos is a tall, heavy built half-elf. His human features are more predominant in his face - a square chin, some short beard and wide brown eyes - but his ears and height give away his elven blood. He's wearing a padded gambeson and a steel helmet and carrying only his dagger in his belt and an arming sword in his hand right now.
    Last edited by dangelo; 2020-06-06 at 10:26 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

"Nothing that need concern you, Knight," Osterneth answered dismissively, waiting for the sounds to become clear. "I'd recommend you go put on the rest of your armor and leave this to us."
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

4. - Top - End - #154

ElfWarriorGuy

"This doesn't look like it's under control, witch" he protests "What are you doing to this people?"

Salos is cautious, trying not to sound aggressive but still trying to figure out what's going on
    Last edited by dangelo; 2020-06-06 at 11:22 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Osterneth looked about, confused. "What people? What do you mean?"
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

6. - Top - End - #156

ElfWarriorGuy

The people of this village, what other people?" he yells back "What is inside that and why does it make this terrible sound??

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

"We don't know. We're going to investigate and deal with it now. Would you like to help?" Neth asked.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin
    AC: 21 HP: 76/76
    PP: 10 PIv: 8 PIs: 10
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Laith struggles to keep his eyes front, carefully watching the corridor up ahead for any sign of movement as an armed figure approaches from behind. Laith steals a glance back for just a moment, but even with a visual of the tall half-elf, he is slow to grasp what's happening. Laith's mind is already overloaded with information as he considers the danger up ahead.

He can feel Geth and Brine by his side and Zaddion at his back, no small comfort given he can't keep his eyes trained in both directions. "Watch my back," he implores Geth and Zaddion. "He's a friend?"

9. - Top - End - #159

HalfOrcPirate

Geth speaks to Brine first, then Laith. “Brine, keep your guard up, gimme a sec. I’m not sure Mr Laith, he looks like he could probably fight.”
    Geth turns and shouts to the others “Undead, a lot of them! I sensed them earlier and I don’t like what I felt, looks like they’ve intimidated that zombie through some means. Either help or stay away till we’re done.” then looks forward to the hall again, ready to step forward and see what’s inside.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

"At least come with us to the other side of the river. If we destroy the bridge, you can come back with us to Arvedon. If we fail to blow up the bridge, you can walk back across it and come back here."

If he agrees, and Llane is ok with it, we'll head back over the river and start getting the explosives ready to destroy the bridge.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion followed after the Kobald and Crab, drawing his crossbow. It wasn't as good as a spell but it was loaded and ready to fire should something pop up. "Neth asks that we not destroy any undead we find. Unfortunately, my best spells are one that set things alight."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

The druid groans. "I know, which is why I'm preparing to stand my ground. Look, if the bridge is gone come find me." He stands up with his collected materials, and walks off into the thicket next to you.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You've both rolled poorly over the conversation, so I'm having him leave. You can follow him to try to continue, or head back.

To give the layout of the temple again, Salos is standing near the entrance. Beside the large door that has been recently opened, there are a pair of hallways going off to the left (as seen from the entrance). The books on the shelf seem too ruined to read, but the visible portion of the tapestry shows some humanoids on horseback. There's a alter in the center of the room. The only thing not covered in dust or grime is a mirrored disk proped up with a silver, skeletal arm. Laith, Geth, and Brine can see a mosaic depicting a golden light piercing the heavens, where those on the other side of the room see the unadorned back face. Nondescript dark creatures are shown fleeing the beam.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2020-06-07 at 10:23 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163

ElfWarriorGuy

"Does this place have other ways in??" Salos yells. "Don't let them fool us!!"
    On his turn he'll make his way around the building in a rush if no one tells him that it's sealed off.

14. - Top - End - #164

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin

"Stay with me," Laith says urgently to Geth and Zaddion, alarmed that they might run off with the newcomer. He thought for sure he could hear whatever it was in there just up ahead, but he second-guessed himself as Salos shouted to not let them fool us. Unsure of himself, Laith hesitated a moment longer before deciding that it was better to face the enemy he knew was there than to take his eyes away to search for more. "I can hear," he says louder to Neth and Salos, evidently forgetting to indicate whether he meant the enemy or something else.

Moving forward carefully, Laith keeps his eyes focused on the corner up ahead as he steps through the recently opened door, eager to find out what's waiting for them in those hallways. Geth seemed to know his business. If he was right there were plenty of abominations creeping around this place, but Laith had yet to see anything other than Neth's own horrid creations. Of course Zaddion would also be right. She'd want them alive--or dead rather, but not destroyed. Could Neth really control more? Shame clawed at him as Laith considered they might not cleanse this temple, but instead allow the corruption to go on. Instinctively he gripped his axe tighter, heart hammering in his chest as he approached the first hallway leading to he left.

Show

I'm going to go ahead and take action, but let me know if the initiative order prohibits this kind of movement or if the enemy moves first

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    I can't actually tell where Salos has gone, so I'm guessing he's just running in a circle around the room.

Also, we're going back to the top of the initiative.

As Geth investigates the mosaic, it appears to glimmer in the day's fading light. He can't be sure, but it may be magical. That would certainly explain how it has remained clean.

As Laith approaches the turn, he can see decayed hands gripping the wall, whatever the're attached to apparently pressed against it and away from the light. The screeching is closer now, sending shivers down his spine. As he turns the corner, these are revealed to be a small force of undead, edging they way forward before lurching back again, as if having been ordered not to extend past a particular line. Their eye glow with pricks of blue light, with an apparent hatred despite their complete lack of movement.

16. - Top - End - #166

HalfOrcPirate

Geth looks at the undead and back at the glimmering hand, his heart skipping a beat ”I think the sun on this thing is keeping them back, when the sun goes down they’ll be able to attack. We need to do this quick if I’m right.” He looks at the ground where they stop, trying to tell if it lines up with any shadows.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin lets the man leave. He turns to Llane, "Let's go see how the others are doing and then blow up this bridge. Then we can come back and try again to talk him into joining us."

18. - Top - End - #168

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin

Shivering despite being plenty warm, Laith can feel his skin crawling long after he masters his fear. He'd braced himself for a moment after turning the corner, expecting them to rush him suddenly, but they didn't. Instead, he had a few moments to examine them as they stared back with dead eyes.

"Neth! Here," he says, keeping a wary eye on them and blocking the undead from passing him unscathed should they get any ideas.

Show

The corridor we're in is 10 ft wide, is the hallway as well? Can Laith clearly see how many there are?

Religion check to identify them: (1d20+1)[13]

Last edited by Riggdgames; 2020-06-08 at 07:26 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Osterneth moves forward, putting her line of skeletons and a zombie ahead of her.
    “Fall in!”
    she ordered, and advanced behind her line of dead bodies to the point that Laith had called from.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"What's the point of that though? Of leaving this many undead just sitting here?" Zaddion lifted his crossbow, then lowered it when realized how little damage a single bolt would do. If Neth failed in her attempts at controlling them he'd just burn whatever was left, he couldn't in good conscious let these things get loose. He winced as he realized they had opened the door, he ran a hand down his face silver claws clinking.

"Any way to tell who or what made them?"

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

The entirety of the corridor is about equally dim. Laith can tell there's at least eight zombies or skeletons, but mixed in appears to be a pair of undead he can't identify. Their bodies are less rotten and eyes more vicious. More worryingly, they are standing toward the rear without moving, as if they have the sense to understand where the effect hemming them in reaches.

As Neth's forces march in up past the alter Monica, Mabel, Mandy, and Marina break out of formation, spreading to the corners of the room and shaking like Mila has been. Mackenzie, Mary, Mavis and Madison continue up, dashing up to the point Laith has been standing, and leaving him surrounded by undead on both sides. Neth follows behind.

As Calin turns to head back, a shout erupts on the other side of the thicket the druid had vanished into. The swearing is in the druid's voice. "You fiend" he continues.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin stops at the sound of the man's voice and turns to Llane "Let's see if he needs help. He is a grumpy old man but we can't let him fight a fiend by himself."

He runs to the thicket, summoning an echo 30' in front of him so a grey shimmering copy of him appears with its sword drawn, mirroring Calin drawing his own sword.

23. - Top - End - #173

Llane

Llane follows after, trying to think about what it could be. Seems he was distracted enough to not keep his own territory secure.

Without a clear target, Llane instead chooses to prepare a potential attack, whispering to the primal fire lying invisible around them until he holds a globe of fire in his hand.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just produce flame for now
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

24. - Top - End - #174

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin
    Concentration: Bless

As Neth's grotesque servants flock around him, Laith steadies himself with a grimace. Surrounded on all sides by corruption and unable to act, he feels the bile rising in his throat as he struggles not to retch. Raising the visor on his helmet, Laith coughs and spits on the ground, but a rotten taste remains.

Glancing at three of his living companions, Laith intones the words of his faith and gifts them with Torm's blessing. Without turning to face Neth, he asks, "do you...what now? Can you make them in your power?" he asks, eager to settle this one way or another.

Show

I know we rolled initiative, but I'm going to keep narrating actions out of turn order as long as it makes sense.

Laith casts Bless as a 2nd level spell on Neth, Zaddion, Geth, and himself. It's only good for a minute so let me know if that passes.

Last edited by Riggdgames; 2020-06-09 at 10:23 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

“In a manner of speaking. Drop their bodies and I will add them to my collection,”
    Osterneth instructed, and she ordered her skeletons to fire on the undead that weren’t her own. She lifted her hand and a spectral, six-fingered hand extended from it, leaping out toward one of the creatures and touching it with the chill of the grave.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion's fingers flickered with fire a smile grew until he remembered he wasn't supposed to burn them. The smile faded and the fire went up in a puff of smoke. Instead he raised a finger and cast a simple cantrip two lines of Eldritch energy streaking from the tip towards the first undead in line.

"After you control all that you can, I'm turning the rest to kindling."

27. - Top - End - #177

HalfOrcPirate

Geth joins the fray, striking twice with his Rapier and Brine makes a claw attack. The two work well in unison, striking viciously from years of fighting together. ”Should they stop being feared away from us, I have a plan. We stay back and I fill the ground between us with a growth of spikes.”

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Llane and Calin see the man is stuck between a pair of worg riders, an imp in the air above them. The hobgoblin riders are barking... something, in a language they don't understand. All are within 30 feet, until the druid misty steps directly away from the thicket before wild shaping into a lion. The druid faces his attackers, baring his teeth as the imp lets out a giggle and vanishes

The Wargs follow the druid and, their riders drawing swords to attack. (4d6+6)[15] from being bitten, knocking the druid prone and (1d8+9)[17] plus (2d6)[8] from being slashed by a critical and knocking the druid out of his wild shape.

As Salos finishes circling to the far side of the room, the opposing skeletons loose at Liath, dealing (2d6+4)[12] piercing damage between them, and the nearest two zombies lurch forward into clearer view for everyone else.

Geth and Brine squeeze past the M squad, Geth strikes at the nearest zombie, and follows up on the one behind it. Brine grabs grabs hold of the second. Zaddidion's blasts tear at the other zombie to have advanced, hitting it with Neth and Mackenzie as the zombie collapses. The other skeletons and Mavis carry on to the zombie next to Brine's victim,

Zaddion and Salos can't see any more undead from their position; someone will have to advance on the zombies or so they can scoot closer or everyone will have to wait for the zombies to inch closer.

Show
    Salos can either be in the corridor or outside it, based on whatever Daniel describes upon commenting.

Laith's damage already factors in Heavy Armor Master.

Zombie grappled by brine has taken 19 damage, and the one hit be the skeleton's arrows 18.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2020-06-10 at 04:38 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin draws his greatsword, spinning around, twirling the sword and swinging it in the air where he is as if he is attacking. A grey, translucent image of him flashes into the area next to the hobgoblins and its sword delivers the strikes from Calin.

Show

BA to manifest echo then attack through it. Using 1 unleash incarnation for an extra attack. Then if any enemy in 5' of the echo moves away, it can take an AOO. If that hits, that creature's speed is zero (sentinel feat).

1st attack (1d20+9)[29] damage (2d6+6)[13] (critical rolled in OOC = 6)
    2nd attack (1d20+9)[16] damage (2d6+6)[11]
    3rd attack (1d20+9)[24] damage (2d6+6)[9]

AOO attack (1d20+9)[29] damage (2d6+6)[10] (critical rolled in OOC = 7)
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-06-10 at 06:13 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180

Llane

With Calin rushing in, it takes the most... excessive way to end this off the table. Still, the goblin warg riders seem close enough that a little more precision he should be able to harm them well enough. He just needs to be... precise.

The faint smell of ozone fills the air, along with a chant that seems to not have any words. A cloud forms above the thicket. Blue light begins to trace Llanes scars and suddenly a bolt of lightening strikes down at the riders.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Call lightening as 4th level centered between the riders. If they're not close enough to hit this way I'll change actions. DC 16 Reflex save to halve 4d10

Damage1 - (4d10)[13]
    Damage2 - (4d10)[22]
    Damage3 - (4d10)[32]
    Damage4 - (4d10)[19]
    Spoiler
    Show