SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Withstanding the Crimson Host

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin
    AC: 21 HP: 64/76
    PP: 10 PIv: 8 PIs: 10
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: Bless

Grunting in pain, Laith only manages to deflect two arrows with his shield before two more find an opening, lodging into his side under his arm. Teeth bared, he utters a quick word of power, bringing his shielded fist up in a well-practiced gesture. Torm's fist, a gauntlet clad in white armor, appears over top of the skeletons that fired on Laith moments before. It drops, attempting to crush one of them with a powerful blow.

Turning his attention to the nearest undead, Laith snarls as he realizes it's an ally. Seeking out the nearest foe still upright, Laith advances without another word, cold-white eyes speaking for him of work unfinished as he raises his axe.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

I'm going to have trouble posting tomorrow until around this time so I'm continuing to narrate out of turn order to avoid holding things up.

Cast Spirtual Weapon on top of the skeletons and slap one of them.
    Spell attack: (1d20+8)[20] + 1 from bless
    Damage: (1d8+5)[6] bludgeoning

Move to the nearest enemy that isn't grappled or down once it's Laith's turn. I'm hoping by the time I'm up in turn order that means Laith can go charging at skeletons and give them their arrows back.

"And my axe" attack 1: (1d20+7)[14] + 2 from bless
    Damage: (1d8+4)[7] slashing

Axe attack 2: (1d20+7)[19] + 4 from bless
    Damage: (1d8+4)[9] slashing

Also, thanks for making it clear you accounted for heavy armor master sandmote, that makes it much simpler.

Last edited by Riggdgames; 2020-06-10 at 10:19 PM.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin looks to Llane, encouraging him to continue his spell, "Don't worry about hitting my alternate, he can just come back in a few seconds."

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Lightning cracks between the worg riders, and the air fills with the scent of singed fur and roasting. Both hobgoblins and one of the worgs collapse.

"Help, Please," the druid cries. "They- ambush," he sputters, before casting, a magenta light flashing from his hands. Four lionesses emerge from thin air, leaping at the remaining worg, but only one manages to claw at her target for (1d6+3)[7].

However, this attack disrupts the hobgoblins, and only one worg manages to bite down at all, dealing (2d6+3)[6] to the druid. The druid shakes to maintain his hold on the spell, (1d20+2)[17]. As Calin's mirage strikes at the remaining worg, it shudders and rolls over.

As the druid takes a sigh of relief, a howl erupts from the north as three more worg riders race around the corner of a nearby building. They're about 65 feet away and too spread out for a lightning strike to hit multiple. Another howl goes up in the east.

Show
    So sorry about that second crit going to waste. But they had no health.

Calin still has this use of his unleash incarnation.

In the dim tunnel, A loud clunk can be heard from a skeleton's skullcap as Laith tears through the last of the zombie in front of him and leaving the skeletons no more cover from him. One of the more coherent undead unleashes a sound that puts the undead's previous groans to shame, it leaps as Laith, having seeming been waiting for this. It grabs at him, (1d20+6)[12] vs 21.

Show
    Monster ability replaces regular grapple check.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground

Llane

Llane frowns for a split second as the goblin riders are just beyond the range of the stormcloud. That invocation is still useful though, and you don't want to waste he keep the channel open, manifesting a aura of ozone around his shield hand. The druid rushes over to his wounded compatriot and quickly channels energy into his wounds. "We need to leave. Now"

Spoiler
    Show
    Concentrate on maintaining call lightening
    cure wounds on the druid healing - (1d8+5)[13]
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

"Yes. We need to get across the bridge and warn the others. We'll never outrun these worgs though."

Seeing that the new enemies are too far to hit with his sword, Calin moves towards them, pushing his echo even farther in front, throwing 2 javelins at the worg riders. The javelins disappear as soon as he throws them and then seem to come from the echo.

Show
    I'm not sure where everyone is exactly (which is fine). I think the Druid and my echo are closer to the new worgs than Llane and I are, so if I can move the echo to within 30' of one of the riders, then I can use the echo to attack the closest riders without disadvantage. I rolled disadvantage just in case.

19 from rolling thread (disadvantage if needed (1d20+8)[17]). damage (1d6+5)[11]

17 from rolling thread (disadvantage if needed (1d20+8)[10]). damage (1d6+5)[7]

He then keeps his echo so it is 30' way from wherever we plan to end our turn, between us and the worg riders.

If an enemy moves into and out of 5' of either Calin or the echo, or attacks an ally while within 5' of Calin, I'll use an AOO, dropping their speed to zero.

13 from rolling thread. damage (2d6+6)[14]
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-06-12 at 06:08 AM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion advances further into the tunnel. Following behind the others.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Osterneth clarified some instructions to Mavis.
    “You, help the Paladin.”
    the rest of the skeletons obeyed the previous order to shoot at the undead enemies. The zombie moved to the nearest Nonfamiliar undead to the Paladin and Helped him by holding the thing’s arm.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

As Salos quickly takes a look at the temple's outer wall, he suddenly becomes aware of the escalating of the battle. Things were way more chaotic than he predicted. He steps forward, holding his sword in both hands.
    I don't who you are-" he struggles with the fight "But we can hold ground!"
    Salos advances to the frontline, managing his footwork so he can reach his enemies without getting in the way of his allies. He observes their movements and synch his thrusts, reaching the unknown undead with the very point of his longsword.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

(1d20+6)[14]
    (proficiency +3, strength +3)

(1d10+3)[9]
    (1d8)[4]

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

I'll move to 026.003, expend a superiority dice to active Lunging Strike and attack the unknown undead on 024.003 once. He is willing to swap places with anyone in front of him if they need to back down.

Could we assume that Salos is wearing a padded armor that would usually go underneath his plate?
    If that's the case his current AC is 11.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank you," replies the druid, "but if there's plenty of scouts we should get to the bridge."

His summoned lionesses fan out to guard against flanking, and he turns into a lion again, vanishing into the thicket. Llane can barely see him inside, glaring at the riders in the distance. Calin's echo downs one of the riders, and his second javelin lodges in another. While the injured hobgoblin gives an order and the two sprint eastward the riderless worg charges Calin's echo, tearing it to shreds.

The worg is shouting something at Calin, but neither of you can understand it.

Inside the temple, the tip of Salos' weapon bounces off the creature's armor, failing to pierce it. Brine's attempt to grapple the stronger undead similarly fails. Geth, however, manages to not only finish off the last zombie but to land a blow against this more powerful foe.

During this, the creature claws at Laith, one blow dealing [roll0] 3* slashing damage

The opposing skeletons loose again, although their arrows scatter at the nearest targets. Laith is hit for [roll1] 1* and Geth for [roll2] 6

Finally, the portion of the M squad that isn't cowering in the corners of the room looses themselves. On arrow clatters off the stone wall, but the others embed themselves in the creature grasping Laith.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last zombie is dead, thing that tried to grapple Laith took 39 damage, skeleton nearest to Laith took 6 total. Also, spiritual weapon does force damage rather than b/p/s.

*yep; includes feat.

Edit: forgot the roller doesn't like comment previews.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2020-06-14 at 06:50 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin
    AC: 21 HP: 60/76

Fully in the heat of battle now, Laith doesn't feel the arrow graze his arm and barely acknowledges the claw raking across his hip below his shield. Instead he's all-consumed by the desire to put these things to rest. As the creature pulls back it's arm to ward off Laith's blows, Neth's own abomination squeezes in and disrupts its ability to defend itself. Grateful for the opening whatever the source, Laith roars as he brings down his axe.

Show

Bonus action to slap that same skeleton with Spiritual Weapon.
    Spell attack: (1d20+8)[12] + (1d4)[4] from bless
    Damage: (1d8+5)[11] force damage

Action to strike at the creature clawing me that I can't identify.

Axe attack 1: (1d20+7)[13] + (1d4)[2] from bless
    Axe attack 1 with advantage (thanks Mavis!): (1d20+7)[17] + (1d4)[1] from bless
    Damage: (1d8+4)[8] slashing

Axe attack 2: (1d20+7)[23] + (1d4)[4] from bless
    Axe attack 2 with advantage (thanks Mavis!): (1d20+7)[14] + (1d4)[4] from bless
    Damage: (1d8+4)[12] slashing

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin shrugs his shoulders, "It's too bad we can't understand this thing."
    He moves forward, swinging his sword through the air. As he brings it down in a striking motion, still at least 10' from the worg, a copy of himself appears again, delivering the final blows.

"We need to get out of here. Quickly." As soon as the enemy is now dead or gone, he tries to get Llane and the other druid to flee with him across the bridge, having his echo bring up the rear.

Show

#1 to hit: (1d20+9)[29], damage: (2d6+6)[13] CRIT! Add 10

#2 to hit: (1d20+9)[27], damage: [role]2d6+6[/roll] 14 from rolling thread

He then keeps his echo next to the Worg if it is still alive or leaves as above.

If an enemy moves into and out of 5' of either Calin or the echo, or attacks an ally while within 5' of Calin, I'll use an AOO, dropping their speed to zero.

if AOO, to hit: (1d20+9)[12], damage: (2d6+6)[18]
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-06-14 at 07:32 PM.

12. - Top - End - #192

HalfOrcPirate

Geth begrudges the mysterious undead that attacked, trying to discern how to take it down. He figures a way to strike at it to deal a bit more damage, and does so wonderfully, Brine follows suit with his claws.

13. - Top - End - #193

Llane

Llane puts up his hand trying to halt the attack, but does so too late. Free of the goblin there was a chance it wouldn't have been hostile. The lingering magic in the air disappates along with the cloud hovering over the air. The druid begins retreating back towards the bridge but along the way scans around. He could have sworn he heard more than just two second group.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just moving away from the combat area
    Perception - (1d20+8)[14]
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Enough of this foolishness!" Zaddion was becoming tired of this charade of a battle, they had bigger things to deal with. He decided it was time to draw upon the flame within. Magic swelled at his fingertips and quickened his casting. "Those archers burn first." The Sorcerer snapped his fingers and the silver claws sparked the air. Creating a bonfire at the feet of one of the enemy archers. With the fire quickening his casting he hurled a set of burning rays upon their ranged foes. Not wanting to risk burning Laith.

Spoiler
    Show

Quickened spell for 2 sorcery points I can cast Create Bonfire as a Bonus Action and Scorching Ray as a normal action.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Neth tightened her lips in disapproval, but the orders were already given so her undead continued shooting and helping even without Neth’s continued orders.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

The worg goes down from the second blow.

Llane can see another group of riders taking a defensive position on the end of the street. There's at least three riders there, and based on where they vanished behind a building this is also where the retreating pair are heading.

As Lane's flouting weapon crashes down on the skeleton, the power holding it together breaks apart and bones clatter to the floor. Both his attacks on the mysterious undead hit, cleaving deep into the flesh. From the throat, something resembling dry blood spurts out.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Seeing the new worg riders, counting a total of 5 in his head that we know about, Calin doesn't want to fight them all in the open. He needs to find a choke point. He's also fine if they just let us across the bridge, so he yells to the riders as we retreat.

"We're leaving. Let us go back across the bridge. We'll help get these villagers out of here and out of your way."

He keeps the echo up and about 15' behind us, between us and the riders.

Spoiler
    Show
    ready action to attack if the riders charge

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Osterneth pointed out Laith.
    “Follow him. Do what he orders you to do.”
    she then turned and stride back toward her cowering undead, to see if that creature’s death had allowed them to regain control of their faculties.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #199
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Unable to land a solid blow without shoving an ally, Salos reaches for one of the darts he carried in an appropriate quiver across his shoulder. He steps back and launches his whole body forward, letting go of the dart so it would fly over the frontline and hopefully end this creature's cursed existence.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by dangelo; 2020-06-18 at 11:23 AM. Reason: didn't roll properly

20. - Top - End - #200

HalfOrcPirate

Geth and Brine continue to attack the more powerful undead in tandem.

21. - Top - End - #201

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin

As dried blood spatters on Laith's previously polished shield and armor, his stomach roils at the thought of commanding any of Neth's undead. Grunting, he steps over the downed creature in front of him and simply points at the things allies with his axe. With cold fury, he directs Torm's fist to crash into the nearest skeleton and chops into the same one with his axe, feeling Neth's abomination following in his wake.

Show

Bonus action to smack a new skeleton with Spiritual Weapon.
    Spell attack: (1d20+8)[28] + [1d4] from bless
    Damage: (1d8+5)[7] force damage

Action to strike at the same skeleton if I can get to it, or the nearest undead I can reach otherwise.

Axe attack 1: (1d20+7)[22] + (1d4)[1] from bless
    Axe attack 1 with advantage (thanks Mavis!): (1d20+7)[22] + (1d4)[1] from bless
    Damage: (1d8+4)[11] slashing

Axe attack 2: (1d20+7)[12] + (1d4)[4] from bless
    Axe attack 2 with advantage (thanks Mavis!): (1d20+7)[20] + (1d4)[1] from bless

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

The zombie moved to the nearest surviving creature after Laith's assault and tried to grab it, holding it still for the next attack from the Paladin. The skeletons fired on the creatures that Laith pointed toward.

Show

Zombie Help Actions.

Skeleton attacks!
    (1d20+4)[18]; (1d6+5)[6]
    (1d20+4)[13]; (1d6+5)[8]
    (1d20+4)[20]; (1d6+5)[10]
    (1d20+4)[20]; (1d6+5)[11]
    Show

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

The riders simply watch your retreat toward the bridge. They may be massing for an attack or taking up a defensive position; you can't tell.

The Rai's Javelin strikes the creature, but seems to have less of an impact than would be expected of a creature made of rotten flesh.

The skeletons loose again, dealing (1d6-3)[0] to Laith and (1d6+2)[5] to Geth.

Geth cuts deeper into the creature, causing its entrails to flop out. Blood spills from inside them, as if it had been eating it, while Zaddon's flames fly overhead, burning one of the skeletons and dispelling the necrotic energy holding it together. The one behind it is burned but remains animate.

As this zombie collapses, the other creature leaps through, grabbing Geth and biting down on him. Geth takes (1d6+2)[7] damage from the bite, and feels the area go numb. He is drained for (2d6)[5] necrotic damage, and feels weakened, as if his health will not recover from the bite entirely. "Mmmm," the creature howls, "fresh!"

Neth's Skeletons loose as she goes to check on her other forces. As she attempts to touch the nearest one, it attempts to dodge her grasp. This appears to be divine magic, forcing the skeletons to flee. Like the turning of clerics that have chased Neth from her work before.

Laith downs the creature in front of him, which crumbles, not into a corpse as the others but instead to a fine, almost imperceptible dust. His spectral weapon finishes off a third skeleton.

Show
    One skeleton and one of the creatures left standing. And yes, they're vampires, everyone can tell now. Not very powerful ones, but still.

Laith's battleaxe couldn't reach the skeletons due to the other creature's movement, so I've just had him hit the weakened vampire. Oh, and damage above includes HAM's damage reduction.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin continues to walk towards the bridge, keeping an eye on the riders and letting Llane and the old druid get about 15' ahead of him. He keeps his echo about 15' behind him.

He pulls out a javelin in case they start to charge, but makes it clear he does not intend to throw it at this point.

25. - Top - End - #205

HalfOrcPirate

Geth & Brine
    Kobold Ranger & Giant Crab
    AC: 18 & 18 HP: 45/68 & 43/43
    PP: 16 & 12 PIv: 10 & 5
    Concentration: --

Geth cowers pathetically as the vampire bites him, hoping to distract them enough for his allies to take advantage of the distraction with their attacks. Brine immediately does so, striking at the vampire that bit his master.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Geth is using Grovel, Cower and Beg to give his allies advantage on all enemies within 10 feet of him. Brine is attacking.
    Claw: (1d20+5)[21] (1d20+5)[6]
    Damage: (1d6+7)[13]

26. - Top - End - #206

Llane

With the riders not chasing it seems either they were either just making sure the area is clear or after the other druid in particular. "If they try to make for the bridge don't close with them." With the area already scourged and dead, Llane would be less resistant to taking... drastic measures.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Geth!" Zaddion raised his hands and wove another spell. He couldn't risk hitting the Kobold so he opted for another strategy. An attempt to trick the Vampire into at least dropping if not ignoring their companion. So he created an illusion acting as if he had cast another fire spell upon the creature to set it's back aflame.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Casting Minor Illusion to make it look like fire had burst upon the Vampire's back.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Neth frowned and returned to the others, with her undead still ordered to obey Laith.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin

Seeing his companion bitten, Laith hesitates for half a second wondering if he should try to call for Torm's aid in healing him. Fury wins out in the end as he raises his axe, grunting with exertion as he tries to bring it crashing down on the vampire's skull. Torm's justice must be done first.

Show

Bonus action to smack the last skeleton with Spiritual Weapon.
    Spell attack: (1d20+8)[21] + (1d4)[2] from bless
    Damage: (1d8+5)[10] force damage

Action to strike at the vampire.

Axe attack 1: (1d20+7)[14] + (1d4)[1] from bless
    Axe attack 1 with advantage (thanks Mavis!): (1d20+7)[25] + (1d4)[4] from bless
    Damage: (1d8+4)[9] slashing

Axe attack 2: (1d20+7)[18] + (1d4)[4] from bless
    Axe attack 2 with advantage (thanks Mavis!): (1d20+7)[11] + (1d4)[4] from bless

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Having received no orders, the skeletons and zombies merely held and defended themselves.
    Show