New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Re: Withstanding the Crimson Host

Salos reaches for another javelin. Damned creatutes, if only we could get them under some sunlight.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    (1d20+6)[19]
    (1d6+3)[9]

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

At the foot of the bridge, the druid end his polymorph, although he maintains his summoned animals. Pulling off his cloak, you can now see he is a grizzled half-elf, bearing a thin grey beard and with a massive bald spot. He certainly doesn't sound as old as he looks.

"I don't like it, but I don't think I can take them on myself," he admits. "Fine, what help do you need?"

Salo's javelin sticks into the vampire, cutting into its side. In response, the skeleton looses, although the arrow thumps into the wall behind the party and falls to the stones.

As Brine grasps the vampire in turn, a bout of fire erupts from the vampire's back. However, the vampire doesn't appear so much as singed and doesn't even glance away, as if nothing had actually happened.

The vampire swings at Laith wildly, appearing to be interfered with by the flames. It bites down on Geth again, dealing (1d6+3)[7] and draining Geth for an additional (2d6)[7].

Laith's spiritual weapon smacks off the skeleton, and his axe carves deep into the vampire. The vampire shakes, seemingly unable to hold together much longer.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Calin looks at the man and is at a bit of a loss at what to say.

"I hadn't gotten that far. I was just told to find you and get you to come back to the pass with us. For now, just get across the bridge. We'll find the others and destroy the bridge. Hopefully, without a bridge to cross here, the goblins won't stay here long enough to disturb your grove. Then once we defeat them in the mountains, you can return here and finish your work."

He keeps backing up across the bridge, looking for more riders coming from the east.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

Neth came upon this scene and aimed her spectral hand at the vampire, sending it to chillingly touch the creature with the cold of death. "The dead are my domain," she informed it as her ghostly hand drained it of vitality.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Chill touch: (1d20+8)[10]; (2d8)[4]

"Friend Laith, my undead are at your beck and call. I leave them to your initiative."
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin
    AC: 21 HP: 64/76
    PP: 10 PIv: 8 PIs: 10
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: Bless

As flame erupts from the vampire's back distracting it long enough for Laith to dodge its blow, through the din of battle a voice catches his ear.

"Friend Laith, my undead are at your beck and call. I leave them to your initiative."

The thought worms into his skull and even in the heat of battle, he remembers his time in command of a group much larger than this, a wing of his father's cavalry in service to Bane. He'd served proudly then, riding tall in his saddle, looked to with respect and fear. He'd been that man. He still could be.

Friend Laith, my undead are at your beck and call. I leave them to your initiative. A female voice echoes through his mind, only this time the voice belongs to Kashi. Rage, sadness, and shame in equal measure overwhelm him as Laith roars, "No!" Swinging his axe with all his might, he shouts, "I am not him!"

Show

Laith tries desperately to end this with his axe, rather than the undead, spurning Mavis' help as he tries to do this on his own.

Spirtual Weapon target priority is skeleton if it's still standing, then vampire.
    Spell attack: (1d20+8)[10] + (1d4)[1] from bless
    Damage: (1d8+5)[10] force damage

Axe attack 1: (1d20+7)[21] + (1d4)[3] from bless
    Damage: (1d8+4)[7] slashing

Axe attack 2: (1d20+7)[26] + (1d4)[3] from bless
    Damage: (1d8+4)[11] slashing

6. - Top - End - #216
    Firbolg in the Playground

Llane

"We don't want to force you into anything outside your guidance. There are refugees, so there will be sick and wounded, and the battle afterwards. You can heal, or fight, or leave. If your home circle is nearby I would like to make my case to them, however," Llane adds on, crossing over the bridge. He thought the rumbling was the party getting impatient... if it wasn't the bridge where are the others?
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

7. - Top - End - #217
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion cursed as his illusion attempt fell. He could always create another bonfire, but that risked hurting an alley. He thought for a second, then grinned. If he couldn't risk hurting Geth...then make Geth the weapon. Zaddion raised his hands and framed Geth in his vision, and he pumped magic through that frame into Geth, shifting his body.

"Can't make you that big I'm afraid, but something fierce with fangs and claws should do the trick."

Spoiler: actions
    Show

Casting Polymorph on Geth to turn him into a Tiger.

8. - Top - End - #218

HalfOrcPirate

Geth roars as a tiger, biting into the vampire in retaliation. Brine claws at the vampire too.

9. - Top - End - #219

ElfWarriorGuy

"Fall, night creatures!" Salos yells in a battle cry "Everyone, hold your ground! This battle is ours!"

Another turn, another javelin. Salos quickly throws the third one at the vampire, hoping this would end before he ran out of darts. He's still holding his sword in his left hand.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    (1d20+6)[17] attack
    (1d6+3)[9] damage[/roll]

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

"They had better leave my work alone," explains the druid. "Thank you again for the help." As the three of you cross the bridge, he awkwardly glances back, as if he's uncomfortable being away from the area he's been growing.

In the passage of the temple, attacks swing and fly. In a spot that would have been protected by his armor, Salos takes an arrow, and (1d6+2)[7] damage as a result.

Brine is shoved aside as Geth morphs into a tiger, throwing off the vampire too much for it to strike Laith. However, the vampire still manages to bite down, dealing (1d6+2)[3] and draining for (2d6)[4] after Geth has bitten it back.

Laith strikes hard, downing the skeleton and crippling the vampire, which appears to be stronger than the first but still heavy damaged by the onslaught.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Still keeping an eye over his shoulder to make sure no one is following them across the bridge, Calin looks at the man, showing genuine interest in his work.

"So what are you working on over there? Does the land seem like it is going to come back? Maybe I'll come back here with you when this is all over. Either to help or at least to see you safely back home."

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

"You're not who? A commander?" Osterneth snorted and addressed her undead "Forget his orders. He lacks the spine to command. Focus fire." She pointed at the vampire. The skeletons fired, and the zombie struck with its hand. Osterneth merely shook her head at Laith. "I thought I saw strength in you. I was wrong."

Show
    Actions!
    Neth: Dodge.
    Zombie: Unarmed attack! (1d20+3)[14]; (1d6+4)[7]

Skeletons: ARROWS:
    (1d20+4)[7]; (1d6+5)[6]
    (1d20+4)[19]; (1d6+5)[8]
    (1d20+4)[12]; (1d6+5)[11]
    (1d20+4)[9]; (1d6+5)[9]

Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

13. - Top - End - #223

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin
    Concentration: Bless

With rage and shame still in abundance, Osterneth's words only serve to egg on Laith. He channels his emotions into each swing, eager to sever the vampire's head from its neck and watch the light fade from its eyes. "You know no strength!" he shouts at Neth even as he bears down on the vampire, his words punctuated by a swing. "We are stronger together in life!" he shouts again, grunting with another swing.

Show

Spirtual Weapon targets the last vampire standing.
    Spell attack: (1d20+8)[12] + (1d4)[3] from bless
    Damage: (1d8+5)[11] force damage

Axe attack 1: (1d20+7)[10] + (1d4)[4] from bless

Axe attack 2: (1d20+7)[26] + (1d4)[1] from bless

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Osterneth snorted.
    “That’s what you call life? Begging each morn for the gods to grant you the power to go around as their little puppet? No, friend Laith. My power is MINE. Something followers like you cannot understand.”
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2020-06-25 at 07:58 PM.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Perhaps you two should save the ideological debate for when one of is ISN'T BEING EATEN!" Zaddion jogged forward and unleashed an Eldritch Blast at the Vampire. He had practiced his aim enough that he had a fairly good chance of NOT hitting the Kobald turned Tiger.

16. - Top - End - #226

ElfWarriorGuy

Salos steps forward, gripping his sword with both hands. He sees an opening and go for it, carefully avoiding Laith's chaotic swings.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+6)[9] attack
    (1d10+3)[12] longsword
    (1d6+3)[8] javelin (just in case I can't actually reach the vampire)

17. - Top - End - #227

Llane

Llane looks around a bit distracted instead of participating in the conversation. The rest of the party seems to have gone somewhere. What's more, it looks like nobody has prepared the bridge for demolition. Hopefully wherever they went they didn't leave the horses to wander off.

Then there's the matter of marking the location as dangerous. The druid looks around for a decent size tree or small clearing to leave a rune.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Llane can mark the tree closest to the bridge, below the mark mentioned earlier.

The druid is hesitant, "the curse appears to really be some sort of dark energy spreading over the land, from somewhere in the old town. I've been fighting it back, but it looks like whatever causes the curse still lurks nearby." He seems forlorn as he admits, "I doubt it can be ended while the source remains."

"I an known as Aswanth, uh, Aswanth Nirushan," he adds sheepishly, as if he hasn't used his name in a while. This is a southern name, not one common to the kingdom.

Salos misses his swing, although he ducks back out without drawing the vampire's attention or taking anyone else's blows.

The Vampire strikes out against, clawing at Laith's armor, although it doesn't hit flesh and Geth is struggling to much for it to bite down again.

Both of Zaddion's blasts hit, and the vampire's flesh glows as if molten for a few moments where they strike.

Laith's first blow misses, but his second cuts into the vampire, causing it to crumble to a fine dust. Zaddion follows it well enough to notice the dust seems to be holding together in the air and flowing quickly back around the far corner of the passage, rather than simply settling to the floor.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"It's not dead, it's escaping!" Zaddion pointed at the dust cloud. "There at the far Corner!" Inwardly the sorcerer was a little confused he was sure these things could turn into mist. A dust cloud was not something he had ever been told about vampires.

20. - Top - End - #230

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin
    Concentration: --

Slamming his axe into the vampire's flesh, Laith feels is dissipate beneath his blows. Chest heaving from exertion, Laith catches his breath as he turns to face Osterneth.

"I am no puppet. Those," Laith says, gesturing angrily with his axe to Neth's undead as he approaches her, "are puppets. You want to make the power over life and death, but that is not life. I am life," he says, dropping his axe into his belt and putting his palm on his armored chest. "You are life," he continues, taking his palm and reaching out towards Neth before faltering halfway and letting his hand fall to his side. "You could do so much more if you walked a different path," Laith says earnestly, staring down at her. "Your power would be--"

"It's not dead, it's escaping!" Zaddion pointed at the dust cloud. "There at the far Corner!"

"What?" Laith snarls, looking back first at Zaddion, then in the direction he indicates. Pulling his axe once more, Laith goes charging down the hall and around the corner.

21. - Top - End - #231

ElfWarriorGuy

Oh, great. Of course the undead are un-dead. He almost had time to deal with the pain until Zaddion's cry struck him like a lightning.
    "What in hell are we looking for??" he yells, making his way to the far corner of the room. "They won't bleed!"
    Last edited by dangelo; 2020-06-27 at 06:46 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Osterneth nodded at Zaddion's warning. "Relax, this is what we wanted. Just follow it." She went after it, motioning her undead to fall in line behind her. "Yes, Laith. Those are puppets. And they aren't alive. You say this to me like I do not know. I have research to do before my power over life and death becomes absolute, but that path is not your way!" Osterneth actually laughed. "The gods would never grant the power we need to overthrow them! They would never give us the power to create real change! They're up there, we're down here. That's... comfortable for them. But when we try to fly higher... they knock us down. Now you're telling me that your path is the one to power." Neth sneered. "As if I could stand taller by falling to my knees."
    Show

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zaddion followed the Paladin after the fleeing vampire. He sighed inwardly at the continued debate. To be frank, it wasn't a discussion he felt like participating in. He had his own thoughts on Necromancy, but it was clear this argument wasn't going to subside for the time being so he would focus on the present danger, and leave the philosophizing for others. "Just so you both know I'm composing a song about how you two eventually end up together." Doesn't mean he can't stir the pot.
    Last edited by Seanfall; 2020-06-27 at 01:49 PM.

24. - Top - End - #234

Llane

Llane takes out a knife he usually uses for harvesting flowers and approaches the tree. It's been a while, but he still remembers the letters and pictographs that were drilled into his head. He marks the tree with "Death. War. Curse. small Fey". They look like subtle gibberish barely able to be seen, but the power of the language lets other Druids sense it. Llane decides to add his mark, in common it's something like 'fox-tail sunrise'.

Returning to the conversation, the druid takes a few steps back over to the bridge. The name being foreign doesn't really register to him, as he wouldn't be considered a native either. "Do you think we have to worry about the invaders spreading it?"
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Aswanth shakes his head, "no one knows what's been causing the damage. They might be able to burn the growth I have been able to restore, but not much else."

Several of the villagers give Calim and Llane some odd looks, seemingly wondering why they're with the druid.

As Salos turns the corner, he comes to another room with a pair of closed caskets in it, and a door on each of the other three sides. The room is about 20 feet across, with the caskets arranged in the center. The air is musty, and the smell of death a decay hangs in the air.

26. - Top - End - #236

SwashbucklerGuy

Laith Khouri
    Fallen Aasimar Paladin
    Concentration: --

Slamming the blunt end of his axe against the hallway in frustration as they make their way towards the room, Laith strides directly between the two coffins, fixing Zaddion with a glare. Grimacing as he takes stock of their surroundings, Laith gestures to Salos and Geth, motioning towards the opposite sides of both coffins. Laith readies his own axe to slam it down on either coffin should they show any sign of movement. Unable to keep his mind on the situation at hand, however, Laith's eyes return to Neth as her undead flank her on both sides.

"You are so smart, but not so smart. You talk like you are making the power to cast them off, but if the gods hear you they are laughing," Laith says, clearly exasperated as he watches Neth. "What will you do? Not enough to spit in their faces, you wish to make a fight with them? Them! I know I am not so smart, but if you think you are going to throw them over, you make me feel smart, at least."

Show

I'm not sure how everyone wants to approach this room or the three doors, but Laith is too distracted by philosophical concerns to suggest a course of action.

He does ready an action to strike anything that pops up out of a coffin.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Neth pointed at the coffin and had Mavis and her skeleton crew lift up the coffin that Laith wasn't busy with.
    "Better to burn in the hells than worship the monsters who signed it into being," Neth said. "You think what I do with souls is sick and twisted? The Wall of the Faithless has some words with you. Your denial of the idea that it can be done ignores how many of the gods started out like you and I. As humans. We weren't given five hundred year life spans. We had to learn and study and struggle for every year we could get. And so some of us did kill and replace gods. Myrkul. Cyric. Midnight. And I think you're probably a fan of at least one of those."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

”As those with Dragon Blood coursing through their veins are Geth and I exempt from this argument?” Zaddion didn’t have a spell to help with searching. So instead he readied a spell to trap the vampire should it reappear.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Ready an action to cast web upon anything that pops up to attack us.

Last edited by Seanfall; 2020-06-28 at 12:08 PM.

29. - Top - End - #239

HalfOrcPirate

Geth and Brine take positions around the coffins, readying to strike any vampire. When Neth mentions burning, Geth swipes at a coffin.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calin

Still keeping an eye across the bridge to make sure the riders aren't trying to cross, Calin is surprised the rest of the party isn't here, so he asks some of the locals,

"Do you know where our friends went off to?"

He then turns to Llane, "Would you rather stay here with Mr. Aswanth Nirushan and keep an eye on the bridge or have me stay here and you go look for our friends? Or should we both stay here?"