New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Detecting Spell Loadout

Power Sight is a Drd 1 spell which allows you to determine the HD of a target creature.

Is there a similar spell which allows you to learn what spells a creature currently has memorized?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Detecting Spell Loadout

I could see an argument for Detect Thoughts providing that information if coupled with probing questions, or if you used it during spell preparation. Probe Thoughts would probably work.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

3. - Top - End - #3

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo
    Vatic gaze in phb2
    Good catch, thanks. It looks like this only provides information on the highest-level spells prepared. Is there anything that could provide the same information for lower-level spells?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

Arcane Sight tells you the strength (level) of their strongest available spell(s), but doesn't specify what those are, nor their entire loadout.

You could get this information indirectly from divinations like Mind Probe (simply ask them what spells they know or what they have prepared that day) or Contact Other Plane/Commune (you'll need to word your questions carefully because most answers will be yes/no.) Neither is foolproof however.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Technically you could spy on a character for a day, or send hirelings or summons to go fight with the target while you watch from a safe distance with divinations, find out what spells they have, and Teleport Through Time to the beginning of the day.

Edit:
    In equally unhelpful techniques, if you can get divine ranks and the Magic or Secrets portfolio, your portfolio sense should give you everyone's spells (in the future or past for X months if you have enough ranks)
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2020-05-25 at 05:01 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

It's not a spell, but a spellthief gains Discover Spells at 13th level, which lets them automatically know all spells a target can cast that are of the same level of the spell that the spellthief just stole from the target.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I appreciate the suggestions. Sounds like there isn't a single spell or ability that does exactly what I want.

Power Sight is first level, but it's a pretty basic spell. Something that tells you every spell someone has prepared would be more advanced. About what level should that spell be? And how would it scale with caster level? Perhaps as caster level increases, prepared spells at successively higher levels can be identified?

9. - Top - End - #9

I found one that's a bit closer to what you want - Spell Gauge from Inner Sea Gods. It starts from the lower levels and goes up, but it does have a ceiling. If your goal is to research/homebrew a stronger variant, this might be a starting point.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Excellent find, thank you. I'm surprised it's such a low-level spell.

What level would be appropriate for a similar spell that reveals 5th-9th level spells on a target creature?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post

What level would be appropriate for a similar spell that reveals 5th-9th level spells on a target creature?
    Probably would be two spells: a fourth or fifth level one that works up to 7th level and a greater one at level 7 or 8 that reveals all spells. Probably throw a condition on the target for each. Dazed for the low level one and stunned on the higher level one with a failed save limiting it to dazed.
    Last edited by daremetoidareyo; 2020-05-26 at 09:48 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post

Comparing to similar effects - revealing a target's entire loadout in an instant would be more powerful than Greater Arcane Sight (which reveals just the level of their strongest spell in an instant.) That suggests it should be 8th. However, GAS is also not mind-affecting, has no save and isn't subject to SR, which makes it weaker. It also only works on one creature per casting, whereas GAS stays active for several minutes. So I would peg "Greater Spell Gauge" probably one level lower than GAS, i.e. 6th.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy